closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Spaceview Restoration Thoughts

Apprentice

Spaceview Restoration Thoughts

Recently acquired this great looking 1973 Spaceview. It’s in a bit of a bad way but the owner (who bought the watch new) has assured me that the watch has been serviced regularly and that the movement still works.

I have sent the watch off to Rob Berkavicius for a full restoration. Good news, the watch runs so it’s now time for the restoration to begin.

Never owned a vintage watch let alone had a restoration carried out. I have to say that I like the process and can see myself doing this again.

Now just the wait.

Has anyone else restored their vintage watch?
    Am I the only person who thinks their watch should look pristine? I really don’t understand the want for years of wear to be left on show.

What are your thoughts on restoration? Is it a case of just getting it working or, like me, do you think the watch should look as it did when it was originally made?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    When ever I buy an old vintage watches that have more than one battle scar I reburb them to look as they would of back in the day. I cannot do with WABI it drives me up the wall.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
    When ever I buy an old vintage watches that have more than one battle scar I reburb them to look as they would of back in the day. I cannot do with WABI it drives me up the wall.
    Amen to that. I really don’t see the fascination with wearing a watch that looks tired unless it’s an old family members then I can see why you wouldn’t want to change it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I love these old spaceviews they have a vintage charm all of their own. I have one that was made up from parts and so the case is in nice condition. As the values of them are not crazy I would be happy for a case polish to remove the wear.

Master
    Blog Entries

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would really like one of those.

Can’t wait to see it finished.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    I love these old spaceviews they have a vintage charm all of their own. I have one that was made up from parts and so the case is in nice condition. As the values of them are not crazy I would be happy for a case polish to remove the wear.
    Tbh it’s a bit of a no brainer for me. I picked the watch up cheap and the purchase cost + the restoration cost is way less than these go for online. I’m not restoring it to sell but if it turns out that I’m not wearing it that much I should be able to get my money back at least.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    I would really like one of those.

Can’t wait to see it finished.
    I can’t wait too! Don’t know why I do this to myself?!! Already got a watch on pre-order that I’ve waited nearly six months for and now this. It’s like slow torture!

Nice watch OP I agree that a good clean and sympathetic resto is what I always go for.

I never want them to look brand but I like the watch to look its age.

Whenever I have found a vintage watch that looks too new Im always suspicious , redial would be a no no for me unless it was a very rare watch!

Apprentice
    First pictures of the finished article. Should be with me in 10-a-so days. Looking at these pics I won’t be disappointed.