closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Does anyone cover insurance to EBay authentication centre??

Craftsman

Does anyone cover insurance to EBay authentication centre??

As per the title,

I’ve a watch to post but struggling to find insurance to cover the value.

Any advice is appreciated.

Walts

Master
    The short answer is, no.

I used Secursus, but they don't cover it. So I effectively send it uninsured without knowing.

All the major couriers have T&Cs small print saying they don't cover. I also used DHL once, again without knowing it wasn't covered as I received conflicting advice on their phone lines.

I read in another thread mailboxes,etc. may cover. But never tried myself.

I even once drove the watch to the eBay centre (as it is 20 mins from me)...but they didn't accept it.

End result for me - I cannot use it for any watch of value.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    The short answer is, no.

I used Secursus, but they don't cover it. So I effectively send it uninsured without knowing.

All the major couriers have T&Cs small print saying they don't cover. I also used DHL once, again without knowing it wasn't covered as I received conflicting advice on their phone lines.

I read in another thread mailboxes,etc. may cover. But never tried myself.

I even once drove the watch to the eBay centre (as it is 20 mins from me)...but they didn't accept it.

End result for me - I cannot use it for any watch of value.
    Thank you, I think this might be the way I’m heading as the risk is to great.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walts View Post
    Thank you, I think this might be the way I’m heading as the risk is to great.
    I have never sold a watch in my life but I have travelled to buy and treated it as a day out for the wife and myself. Go there, buy the watch, have a decent meal on the way back and straight into the local AD next day for verification. Works well for me.

Posting a small valuable item is too risky for me and I say that as someone who worked for the Royal Mail for 22 years.

I bought via eBay verifiers recently and returned as the watch was not running within spec. UPS lost the parcel and were unhelpful. Actually I believe the UPS drop off point tried to steal the item. EBay insisted on waiting for outcome of UPS investigation. Net result, lots of hassle and waiting around. Eventually the item appeared after being MIA for nearly 3 weeks. I suspect the attempted theft was aborted once I provided date and location stamped photo evidence of the item in the hands of the UPS drop off point. If it had not turned up I get the impression eBay would have refused refund and I would have had to go through the small claims court.

It was a ball ache for me, but I imagine the seller is not too impressed either. I will be quite wary buying via eBay now and certainly avoid selling through them

I used Secursus, but they don't cover it.
    Did they say why they don't cover it?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Just to clarify with Secursus, do they say specifically that they don’t cover sending to eBay’s authentication centre or is this back to the previous discussion about them not covering private sales on online marketplaces generally unless you get their consent? Getting that consent isn’t too difficult if you have some history with them.

Edit: just emailed them and they say they don’t cover it full stop. That’s a problem. You can still get consent if selling direct to buyers on SC though.

Now we have a basically dead SC, where nothing seems to sell (hopefully this will change in the future), and no way of insuring for the much wider market of eBay. Selling direct to dealers who sort insurance themselves is probably going to have to be the best way going forward if there isn’t a ready buyer on here.
    Last edited by Berty234; 14th September 2023 at 13:41.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Did they say why they don't cover it?

R
    Yes they did. Previous threads on this and I did email to ask. Berty above looks to have the latest confirmation.

Frightens me as I sent some valuable watches insured with them...excpect that they were only insured in my own mind! Got to be very careful. At the time I used them the bit about private sales I don't think was in their T&Cs.

Yes they did. Previous threads on this and I did email to ask. Berty above looks to have the latest confirmation.
    But did they give a reason as to why they don't?

Anyway, from my contact at eBay: UPS are regularly used by sellers to insure watch transit to the authentication partner, Stoll & Co.

Personally, I've always used IFS Infosure for my watch insurance to eBay's authentication partner, as well as to buyers and watch repairers.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman
    Sorry I got distracted with a few meetings this afternoon.

Attached is the email response I got as to why they no longer cover to the authentication site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Does Royal Mail do it for stuff up to a value of £2500?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post
    Does Royal Mail do it for stuff up to a value of £2500?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    They do but this is for higher value items. Should it go wrong i then couldn’t claim £2500 worth of compensation as the items worth more than they’ll transport. It’s a complete pain and think I’m likely to have to cancel the sale now.

Quote Originally Posted by Walts View Post
    Sorry I got distracted with a few meetings this afternoon.

Attached is the email response I got as to why they no longer cover to the authentication site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am very surprised that a manager of Secursus would write that, given it’s libellous towards Stoll & Co!

R

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I am very surprised that a manager of Secursus would write that, given it’s libellous towards Stoll & Co!

R
    It certainly made me think about using the centre.

Have you contacted Stoll & Co to ask who they recommend for insured delivery to them (e.g. UPS)? I'm surprised they don't cover this in their basic guidance. [I don't use eBay for non-cheap watches.]

Definitely worth calling MBE to enquire.