closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A quick hello from me

Journeyman

A quick hello from me

Hi folks

Just joined the forum and thought I’d introduce myself.

My name’s Elliott and I live in Harrogate. I’ve been into watches for some time and have had some beauties over the years. Never been one for a collection but I have a bit of a bonus coming and think it’s time to start so that’s sort of why I’m here.

I recently sold a Pepsi GMT, offer too good to refuse and all that, and impulse bought a cheaper replacement. I got an Aqua Terra with the blue face and rose gold bezel (will post a pic later if anyone is interested) from an AD in Harrogate.

It’s not an every day wearer for me. Firstly, everyone knows the Omega brand so its a bit flash when you team it with the rose gold. And secondly it’s too delicate for gym kit or jeans etc.

So this brings me on to what brings me to TZ. I have been looking for a daily wearer at around the £2-2.5k mark and have reignited my love of watches. Hoping that this tight community can help me out.

I’ve so far looked at a few:

-Corum Admirals Cup (I know that they’re marmite and a terrible investment but I have always really liked the post 2011 ones and don’t intend to sell),
    -Speedy (but I fall between 38mm and 42mm)
    -Zenith EP
    -Grand Seiko SD (the issue with this being that I really want but can’t afford the HB GMT).

Be interested to know what you all think. I’m not a Rolex guy (the aforementioned GMT was a gift) but open to ideas.

Beyond that, dream watch is either an Overseas Tourbillon (nouveau riche I know) or a Lange Zeitwork.

Oh and if anyone wants to ask me how I am the only man in history to lose money on a Patek sports watch, feel free....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome! Omega too delicate for the gym? And how did you loose money on a Patek stainless steel sports watch?

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Hi and welcome. There are one or two nice watch shops in Harrogate, you must be tempted daily

Put up some pictures when you have a moment, always good to see some more watches.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    Welcome! Omega too delicate for the gym? And how did you loose money on a Patek stainless steel sports watch?

Youthful hubris. The year was 2008, I had a decent job and still lived with my parents. I had a nice car, was a bit of a flash Harry and decided I needed a ‘proper’ watch.

Got an Aquanaut on finance from a well known AD in Leeds. I put a fair chunk down but the payments were still hefty.

No sooner did it arrive than the crash hit, I was made redundant and I had to crawl back to the dealer, tail between my legs and resell the watch back to them to pay off the finance. They knew they had me over a barrel so I took a bath on both the metal and the finance fees.

Can’t remember what the price was exactly but I’d guess it was around a third of what they’re going for today. I think I worked out that it cost me £200 per week I had it. Brilliant!

Learned a lot of lessons since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellgal View Post
    Youthful hubris. The year was 2008, I had a decent job and still lived with my parents. I had a nice car, was a bit of a flash Harry and decided I needed a ‘proper’ watch.

Got an Aquanaut on finance from a well known AD in Leeds. I put a fair chunk down but the payments were still hefty.

No sooner did it arrive than the crash hit, I was made redundant and I had to crawl back to the dealer, tail between my legs and resell the watch back to them to pay off the finance. They knew they had me over a barrel so I took a bath on both the metal and the finance fees.

Can’t remember what the price was exactly but I’d guess it was around a third of what they’re going for today. I think I worked out that it cost me £200 per week I had it. Brilliant!

Learned a lot of lessons since then.

Sorry to hear about that. Lovely watch though. Better to have loved and lost ... etc.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Hi and welcome. There are one or two nice watch shops in Harrogate, you must be tempted daily

Put up some pictures when you have a moment, always good to see some more watches.
    There’s a proper old school working jewellers called Ogden’s and you’re not wrong, it’s hard to walk past without stopping for a look and beginning some sort of complex arithmetic in your head. They have recently had some lovely vintage offerings from Glashutte, Universal Geneve and Vach in the window. Not a huge range so not worth a special trip but if you’re in the area, it’s definitely worth a look.

I don’t usually take pics but I’ll start to share some with you all.

An Apple Watch would seem to fit the bill:-)

Journeyman
    Haha I said ‘great choice’ not ‘only choice’.

Craftsman
    Welcome to the forum, hopefully you will get a great deal of help on here.

Master
    Welcome from nearby Ilkley

Haha I said ‘great choice’ not ‘only choice’.

Just pulling your leg:-)

Craftsman
    Hi folks

My name’s Elliott and I live in Harrogate. I’ve been into watches for some time and have had some beauties over the years. Never been one for a collection but I have a bit of a bonus coming and think it’s time to start so that’s sort of why I’m here.

I recently sold a Pepsi GMT, offer too good to refuse and all that, and impulse bought a cheaper replacement. I got an Aqua Terra with the blue face and rose gold bezel (will post a pic later if anyone is interested) from an AD in Harrogate.

It’s not an every day wearer for me. Firstly, everyone knows the Omega brand so its a bit flash when you team it with the rose gold. And secondly it’s too delicate for gym kit or jeans etc.

So this brings me on to what brings me to TZ. I have been looking for a daily wearer at around the £2-2.5k mark and have reignited my love of watches. Hoping that this tight community can help me out.

-Corum Admirals Cup (I know that they’re marmite and a terrible investment but I have always really liked the post 2011 ones and don’t intend to sell),
    -Zenith EP
    -Grand Seiko SD (the issue with this being that I really want but can’t afford the HB GMT).

Be interested to know what you all think. I’m not a Rolex guy (the aforementioned GMT was a gift) but open to ideas.

Beyond that, dream watch is either an Overseas Tourbillon (nouveau riche I know) or a Lange Zeitwork.

Oh and if anyone wants to ask me how I am the only man in history to lose money on a Patek sports watch, feel free....

For me speedie pro hesalite v

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Welcome to the forum,I had a few sherberts in Harrogate last week.
    It’s all lies without pics

Master
    Blog Entries
    For £2600 you can get a Black Bay 58 if you fancy a diver.

Journeyman
    My mate has just bought one so don’t want to copy exact same though. He sent me a pic the other day by coincidence so in light of the doubting Thomas above here it is, nice looking thing.

I’ve found a Planet Ocean for under £2500 and a IWC GST that I think I’m going to look at. Bonus not in until 1st Aug so have some time to decide.

Craftsman
    Hello and welcome.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Journeyman

A quick hello from me

Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    Welcome to the forum,I had a few sherberts in Harrogate last week.
    It’s all lies without pics

Where did you go? Incredible place, love living here.

Didn’t realise you could post pics directly from here and was putting off signing up for an old school photobucket acc. Oh ye of little faith.

The GMT I got as a wedding g present (alternate bezel)

Mate’s full rose Globemaster I almost swapped it for

EP I used to have

No pics of current as am wearing Apple Watch today (don’t want to look flash as in hospital with wife)

I think these are all the pics I have on this phone but might have some cool ones of an Alain Silberstein I used to have on Facey B so will try to dig them out.

Last edited by Ellgal; 24th June 2019 at 19:34.

Craftsman
    Hi folks

-Zenith EP

For me speedie pro hesalite v

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Some decent pieces there ,stayed in swan and had a walk around various bars

Where did you go? Incredible place, love living here.

Didn’t realise you could post pics directly from here and was putting off signing up for an old school photobucket acc. Oh ye of little faith.

The GMT I got as a wedding g present (alternate bezel)
    Welcome to the forum and happy shopping. Is that an after-market coke ceramic bezel fitted to your GMT, and if so did you DIY or have it fitted?

Journeyman
    Couldn’t tell you mate. Got a few bezels with the watch, they all felt cheap and insubstantial TBH. The AD was happy with the Pepsi one when I sold it though.

Changed them myself using a YouTube vid. Easy enough but never felt like I did a great job.

For an everyday watch well inside your budget why not look pre owned at an Omega Seamaster 2254? Looks great hard wearing and suits the bracelet, NATOs and a Rubber strap.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Welcome to the forum

Craftsman
    Welcome, so I’m not alone in Harrogate!

Welcome to the forum, Elliott. It’s great to see a new member take the time to introduce themselves properly

Simon

Couldn’t tell you mate. Got a few bezels with the watch, they all felt cheap and insubstantial TBH. The AD was happy with the Pepsi one when I sold it though.

Changed them myself using a YouTube vid. Easy enough but never felt like I did a great job.

Rolex don’t supply replacement colour bezels for the ceramic GMT’s, and you can’t get any genuine Rolex bezels/inserts except as exchange items in the UK, apart from in a small number of exceptional circumstances.

Changing bezel inserts on the ceramic models is also not a home DIY job, unlike the previous model.

For £2k-£2.5k I’d be buying an SMP300m diver - brand new on sale in Jersey the other day for only £2275!
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Interesting conundrum I think .
    The Aqua Terra I bet is a peach but may not suit your lifestyle. Henk’s suggestion fits trading it for an SS model. I’ve no idea of the trade price but I’m assuming it would actually be cash your way.
    Then as an all rounder I think you can’t beat an Omega 2254.50. These are rock solid, WR 300m , slim and great readability due to sword hands. Alternatively the other super versatile (apart from WR) is the Speedie . Wear on nato’s , black leather straps , or vintage style rallye straps in a variety of brown shades.
    The watch wears a lot smaller visually on leather than on a bracelet so I don’t think you need to worry too much about the size.

I didn't know it was still possible to take out of focus pics

Welcome to the downward spiral

BUBI 0_0