closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: London Rolex AD Waiting Lists

Craftsman

London Rolex AD Waiting Lists

Does anyone have a decent idea how long I'd be waiting if I wanted one of the following models. Assume the Sub will be easiest, with no chance of the Daytona?

114060 ND SubC
    126600 SD
    116610LV Sub
    126710 BLNR GMT
    116500 Daytona

Would potentially take a LN Sub if the above were very unlikely.

And of course I'd be able to purchase as soon as the call came in. Would be happy leaving a decent deposit if it helped also.

Any thoughts/ideas?

Cheers.

I think as a non repeat customer your chances of getting any of the above in London are close to nil.

You will get a variaty of lead times (which never seem to reduce even after a year) and many don't really add you to anything.

You may get lucky however. If you go out of London into the home counties I would suggest the LN subs are accessible in 3-6 months, but I would still say the LVs and Daytona is gold dust.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Yawn. Please just go into an AD and ask them.

There is no such thing as a waiting list. It's all smoke and mirrors and registration of interest list. You can wait 20 years you won't get a Daytona at list with no purchase history.

Could be worse I enquired about a PP 5711, no words came out initially just a change in facial expression Paul Whitehouse of the Fast Show would have been proud of.

And then the sad news that they get 2 per year if lucky and they have over 20 orders from loyal customers so 6-10 years if lucky.

So “you never actually own a Patek” it’s for handing down.

My theory is order one now I’m 50 then when it arrives my son who’s currently 20 can pick it up for his 50th ...haha

The sales advisor was actually really nice and I feel for them must be a pain he said he got 3 calls a day from all over and abroad asking if they have any in stock very depressing.

Also don’t think it helps that you narrowed down to 5 models.

“Dear AD I am really interested in this, or that or that one or the other one or even that one”.

Not taking a piss but seems like you don’t know what you want. From an AD perspective: why would he reserve model x for you if you mention four more models. Make up your mind first to show firm interest.

Not saying it helps in the current situation though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also all you are saying to the AD with that list is you don't care what you get you just want anything hard to get from the professional range. Don't think they will take you very seriously.

Master
    I will be anticipating a 18 month to 2 year wait on a gmt master 2 blnr or blro and if neither materialise I will turn my attention elsewhere. As others have done you will need to contact multiple dealers and be prepared to travel.

Craftsman
    Black sub or SD will be your best bet with trying to get on a waiting list. Wait time is likely to be long without any purchase history

Craftsman
    There’s been a few SS Sea Dwellers from the window thread lately if you don’t fancy a waiting list.

Master
    Where did you see a 43mm Seadweller on display? My local Rolex store has seen one this year.

I think he was referencing the Deep Sea Sea Dwellers. Still a Sea Dweller.

Master
    114060 ND SubC
    126600 SD
    116610LV Sub
    126710 BLNR GMT
    116500 Daytona

That is a varied and long list and at best screams I just want a sports rolex and I don't care which one; and at worst I want to make some money.

I understand that this obviously may not be the case but I would certainly pick one model per AD. Just my input...

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    114060 ND SubC
    126600 SD
    116610LV Sub
    126710 BLNR GMT
    116500 Daytona

That is a varied and long list and at best screams I just want a sports rolex and I don't care which one; and at worst I want to make some money.

I understand that this obviously may not be the case but I would certainly pick one model per AD. Just my input...
    The only thing that list is missing is what discount is possible on each.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Also all you are saying to the AD with that list is you don't care what you get you just want anything hard to get from the professional range. Don't think they will take you very seriously.
    Exactly! Go in with focus on 1 or 2 diverse pieces.

Master
    I know it’s heresy to suggest this...but you might be better paying the extra to go ‘grey.’ Because you could grow old waiting for a sports model at retail. Could be better to splash out and enjoy the watch now.

Craftsman

Money

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    114060 ND SubC
    126600 SD
    116610LV Sub
    126710 BLNR GMT
    116500 Daytona

Rolex sports please “ I want to make some money”.

This time next year Rodney we’ll be Millionaires!

Ghost Chilli pretty much sums up the market at the moment.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had the call this week on a 114060 after 3 months from a London dealer.

I think a combo of factors at play.

I called in advance but visited the store in person, wearing my 1955 6424 as the chap is an enthusiast (he'd never seen a 36mm 6424 before and was smitten) and he could tell I was an enthusiast too, so we had a brew and a good 30 minute chat about my collection, especially the non-Rolex stuff I have.

I explained I didn't want a cyclops watch, and have no issue with them keeping the warranty card which I think showed him I'm not in it for the flip.

He even pulled a GMT out of deep freeze which was on hold for a buyer so I could try the case for size etc.

I'm not a flipper at all, but when I pick it up I'm going to ask if I can put my name down for a steel Daytona even if it takes years, hopefully I'll be further up the pecking order now.

As mentioned above if you walk in or phone in effectively asking for "any watch I can sell over list" then I don't think you will get too far at the moment...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    Rolex sports please “ I want to make some money”.

This time next year Rodney we’ll be Millionaires!

Ghost Chilli pretty much sums up the market at the moment.
    I have to say I don't get it. It is well known you can make a hefty profit on a lot of the models listed by flipping them. Millions..no, but then again millions weren't mentioned.

Bizarre.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    I will be anticipating a 18 month to 2 year wait on a gmt master 2 blnr or blro
    I think if the wait times were "only" 18-24 months, they wouldn't be trading at the premiums they are.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I think if the wait times were "only" 18-24 months, they wouldn't be trading at the premiums they are.
    That’s prob if your a regular customer. The average Joe? Prob put on a imaginary wait list

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    As I say I’ll turn my attention elsewhere after 18 months or so.

I wish you the best of luck. I was in Central London last Friday to catch a train up North and had a bit of spare time on my hands. I was keen to see the new white dial OP 36mm (hardly a model in serious demand) and I went to 5 AD’s. Three of them had no steel models of ANYTHING and the other two didn’t have much to shout about. They were being told a minimum of 20 weeks to get one ordered in. I think you should look a bit further afield than London.

How long is a piece of string

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Zed watches (no affiliation) can usually knock together anything you want in a matter of weeks, and you'll get to keep all the tags and paperwork.
    Last edited by number2; 21st June 2019 at 19:03.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    As I say I’ll turn my attention elsewhere after 18 months or so.
    And what, start again on a waitlist for something else?

It is clearly hype from social media and people being under the illusion they are getting something rare that is feeding this frenzy.

Only a few years ago i.e. around 3 you could walk in to most if not all AD and walk out with a SS sports model on your wrist with the exception of the Daytona.

Where were all these buyers then.

Master
    If you can afford the Daytona just buy the Sub grey, that just looks like a flippers list, any AD/Chain smells that and you're blacklisted.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    It is clearly hype from social media and people being under the illusion they are getting something rare that is feeding this frenzy.

Only a few years ago i.e. around 3 you could walk in to most if not all AD and walk out with a SS sports model on your wrist with the exception of the Daytona.

Where were all these buyers then.
    Bit like when KFC ran out of chicken.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    And what, start again on a waitlist for something else?
    Nope, I wouldn’t buy a Rolex as they are the ones I like. I have other watches in mind.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mark.wilo13 View Post
    I wish you the best of luck. I was in Central London last Friday to catch a train up North and had a bit of spare time on my hands. I was keen to see the new white dial OP 36mm (hardly a model in serious demand) and I went to 5 AD’s. Three of them had no steel models of ANYTHING and the other two didn’t have much to shout about. They were being told a minimum of 20 weeks to get one ordered in. I think you should look a bit further afield than London.

I was resigned to a 6 month wait for a rhodium DJ41 & was planning accordingly. A random call to a central London AD about something else & he said he had one if I wanted it - cue panic stricken running around to get it.
    Being on a waiting list for years is possibly why people are now in hot pursuit of the SS DJs & will drive them across the border of the mythical realms of Unobtainia...
    I specifically chose the SS DJ41 as the Sub didn't suit me, so I was thrilled to get one at list without the wait but I'm convinced that the people who only want a SS professional Rolex for the profit are now looking at the DJ as the next model to speculate on now they've driven the prices of the others beyond anything even they consider sensible.

Master
    AD’s have 100 more buyers than watches. They can only sell at RRP in the UK.

I suspect there are two key factors they consider

a) what else you might purchase
    b) will it end up at Watchfinder.

Go in with a shopping list of desirable SS Rolex models they’ll politely note your interest, write it on a card, and toss it in the bin as you leave.

Quote Originally Posted by anton863 View Post
    Does anyone have a decent idea how long I'd be waiting if I wanted one of the following models. Assume the Sub will be easiest, with no chance of the Daytona?

114060 ND SubC
    126600 SD
    116610LV Sub
    126710 BLNR GMT
    116500 Daytona

Would potentially take a LN Sub if the above were very unlikely.

And of course I'd be able to purchase as soon as the call came in. Would be happy leaving a decent deposit if it helped also.

Any thoughts/ideas?

Cheers.
    As above, that’s a flippers list, rather than an enthusiast who would love to own a certain piece. Any AD worth his salt will see through that a mile off.

You’ll struggle and ADs want to look at spending history so have you bought a watch for your other half? Jewellery for others as gifts? They have loyal big spenders who jump the lines so essentially why should they sell you one? You need to make yourself into a good customer, pick ONE watch, and go from there.

Craftsman
    Forget London, obviously not a like for like example but I went to Patek in New Bond Street and the only option to get on a list for a Nautilus was to buy another watch first - just bullshit.

If you really want one of those watches go on tou the WTB section - far better lead times 😁

Craftsman
    Thanks to those that helped.

I've owned the older versions of every watch on the list (bar Daytona), and enjoyed them all. All bought and sold on here also over many years.

I've never bought a Rolex new at an AD and as a few have mentioned would not have wanted to call with such a varied list. I was hoping for some ideas on what watches could be achievable and I'd focus on asking for those one/two. So again thanks to those that helped narrow it down.

I'd love to just call and say I'd like a Daytona please but knew that wouldn't be achievable and would happily own any of the watches I mentioned long term.

Telling it's a bunch of newer accounts who are commenting negatively. I've plenty of good feedback in H&V over a number of years if you want to check my intentions.

Cheers!

Master
    Just about sums up the market really, I will have anything as long as it’s what everyone else wants.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Just about sums up the market really, I will have anything as long as it’s what everyone else wants.
    ... Unless the watch is actually available. In which case, I'm not interested."

Journeyman
    As others have said, look outside of London. I've bought 2 rolex so far this year (both were wanted!) and the AD does now know me (nice guy but he really can't help me) yet for all those you have on the list I'd be looking at over a year for the ND sub or sub date (no chance with the others on your list). I have just bought a sub from outside London (significantly outside) and they actually treated me like a customer and couldn't be more helpful....what a refreshing change.

I've been to every London AD multiple times and have seen 1st hand the overseas big spenders in-store....makes my 2 Rolex spend look like absolute chicken feed and frankly not worth their time.

Apprentice
    As a first time buyer with that list of yours, you haven't a hope in hell. Sorry to be so blunt, but that is the honest truth.
    Problem is, as many have said, all of the watches on your list can flip immediately for profit, some serious profit in fact.
    So they will not sell to people they don't know and only to people they know that won't flip for profit right away or someone who is also willing to bundle.

For your information, my friend got a Hulk out of WoS in Regent street within 2 weeks of enquiry. He is known to them and not a flipper.

I got my SubD and ND in around 3months. Quickest was the Skydweller, which I got in 10days.

Also when you have the relationship it's important to turn things down sometimes so they know you aren't a flipper. I turned down a blue SS Skydweller a few months ago which actually went down pretty well as they knew I wasn't in it for profit

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Also when you have the relationship it's important to turn things down sometimes so they know you aren't a flipper. I turned down a blue SS Skydweller a few months ago which actually went down pretty well as they knew I wasn't in it for profit
    Yup, that is so true. I turned down a SD43 TT and Yachtmaster WG Oysterflex (both 2019 basel releases) last thursday.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjin View Post
    I turned down a SD43 TT
    Good call - it’s just wrong to have that kind of watch in TT!!

Journeyman
    Yup, that is so true. I turned down a SD43 TT and Yachtmaster WG Oysterflex (both 2019 basel releases) last thursday.

Beautiful Yachtmaster.

The only way to get these watches at list from an AD is through relationship and existing business.

You won’t get them by being transactional.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Goyne View Post
    Also don’t think it helps that you narrowed down to 5 models.

“Dear AD I am really interested in this, or that or that one or the other one or even that one”.

Not taking a piss but seems like you don’t know what you want. From an AD perspective: why would he reserve model x for you if you mention four more models. Make up your mind first to show firm interest.

Not saying it helps in the current situation though.

I have to admit that was my reaction.

If the OP goes into an AD asking for that lot, he will be regarded as a potential flipper.

Craftsman

Now that is nice!

Journeyman
    Who do they sell them to then?

Sent from my SM-G965F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Sibo View Post
    Who do they sell them to then?
    You mean the one or two of each model they are allocated each year?

As the world population explodes, Rolex just stay the same! - Things will continue to get worse.

Journeyman
    I have heard that from a lot of ADs they they have only received one of whatever watch this year or last year etc but is it true?

You can't run a business like that, where are they getting money from? They can't be selling that many datejusts. Not all dealers sell a lot of other brands either, some have huge amounts of their store dedicated to Rolex.

Rolex produce 2000 watches per day, of which let's say half are professional models.
    Divide 1000 by 10 to allow for the different models available, and that leaves 100 to be distributed amongst all the AD's on the planet.

Journeyman
    That's only 700k watches/year. I have heard estimates of 1.5 million per year, this is only word of mouth though so not sure of accurate.

Also why are so many being sold on the grey market, esp the new ones? Surely not everyone is flipping immediately?