closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parking Fine Advice

Craftsman

Parking Fine Advice

Just received a parking fine for overstaying at Tesco Silverburn.
    For anybody that doesn't know the area, Silverburn is a shopping centre with a Tesco attached on the south side of Glasgow. Sunday June 2nd, me and the family went for a day out and parked in Tesco as we would be getting our weekly shop last.
    Started with lunch in Nando's then had a stroll about the shops, getting clothes for our holiday, wolf watch roll from Chisholm Hunter and a few other things, spending around £350. We then went into Tesco and dropped another £120 in there.
    Imagine my surprise when I received today a fine for overstaying in Tesco car park!

On the fine it says maximum stay is 3 hours and I stayed for 3 hours 44 minutes

Do I have any grounds for overturning the fine? I.e. Producing bank statement showing my card was used in both Tesco and the shopping centre on that day.
    Can these companies legally enforce the fine if I do nothing?

Any advice would be appreciated

Master
    Yes, most companies will contact the parking co. and request it to be rescinded. If you can show such receipts.

Tesco will be your best bet. My friend would often do this when he managed a Sainsburys.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Yes, most companies will contact the parking co. and request it to be rescinded. If you can show such receipts.

Tesco will be your best bet. My friend would often do this when he managed a Sainsburys.

Cheers mate. Am fuckin raging over this!

Blog Entries
    I think this, "On the fine it says maximum stay is 3 hours and I stayed for 3 hours 44 minutes", is all that matters. I presume there are notices in the car park saying the maximum stay is 3 hours?

Couldn't you park in one of the other (free) car parks? https://www.shopsilverburn.com/visitor-info/parking

It's a sod, but you'll probably end up having to pay it!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedyexplorer View Post
    Cheers mate. Am fuckin raging over this!
    No guarantees but it's the policy in my local shopping car park in Cumbernauld and several other places I've heard. Somewhere like silver burn must be used to this, with so many shops and eateries. Different when people are ripping it with 6-7 hour stays but spending that much and going 45 mins over sounds like a lock for a waiver.

Master
    I ended up in a similar situation with our local Costa. I had a business meeting during which we consumed huge amounts of drinks and cakes and not insignificant cost, only to both receive a parking for overstaying the 2hr limit. I too was fuming but having managed to get through to head office was told that the management of the car park was contacted to a third party and there was little they could (read willing) to do.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I think this, "On the fine it says maximum stay is 3 hours and I stayed for 3 hours 44 minutes", is all that matters. I presume there are notices in the car park saying the maximum stay is 3 hours?

Couldn't you park in one of the other (free) car parks?

It's a sod, but you'll probably end up having to pay it!
    Parked in Tesco as we were ultimately ending up there.
    A poor show when you drop the best part of £500 in a shopping centre, and Tesco is attached to it, and you get a perking fine as a thank you 2 and a half weeks later!

No reason why you should avoid the fine, from my reading of the info in this link (which says 2 hours not 3) - unless not clearly advertised in the car park.

https://www.shopsilverburn.com/visitor-info/parking

I thought that private parking fines were totally unenforceable in Scotland.
    I'd ignore it completely, not even acknowledging you'd received it.

Cheers,
    Adam.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyloon View Post

Cheers,
    Adam.

Maybe not quite what I thought.....

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/sc...rivate-land-s/

Cheers,
    Adam.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyloon View Post

Cheers,
    Adam.

Don't think so, they can still take you to court if they want, and that can cause a lot of hassle for your credit and so on.

The facts are it won't matter how much you spent, the car park will be privately run and they will see the fact that you have not stayed within the bounds of the 'contract', i.e. 3 hour limit being breached, i would guess tesco will say the same, it's a third party, so contact them, and when you do, they'll say 'ok, we've reviewed it now, still pay the fine'.

Blog Entries
    Parked in Tesco as we were ultimately ending up there.
    A poor show when you drop the best part of £500 in a shopping centre, and Tesco is attached to it, and you get a perking fine as a thank you 2 and a half weeks later!
    I know what you're saying, but spending a bit more money doesn't mitigate being there too long really. I'd pay it and move on tbh. Saying 'yes, but I'm a big spender' probably won't cut it.

Master
    These car parks are under surveillance by 3rd parties but that doesn't mean they're owned by 3rd parties. Shops/centres will try to protect good customers by intervening. If going to Tescos is unsuccessful, try the silver burn security office.

Parking Fine Advice

Parking where you did makes perfect sense as you wanted to buy goods that need to go in the fridge last.
    Therefore you can speak to both Tesco and the Mall and ask them what you should advise all the shops in the mall, social media and consumer organisations: Should they (or their customers) choose between shopping at Tesco or in the Mall, or is there leeway when you can prove you genuinely did both.

Tesco are the ones with the most to lose as the other car park are free and they would lose the benefit of being attached to the mall.
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 20th June 2019 at 19:21.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Grand Master
    Local authority and the Police are the only ones that can and WILL pursue you and you WILL have to pay.Any other companies trying to dupe you into paying the "fine" will ask you for a higher fee if you don't pay,quite a lot fold at this point choosing to pay the lower "fine" thinking that's fair!.

I ignored all the letters when I recieved same over 6 years ago now,I found it funny to recieve 4 final letters!.

Go on you tube and search for the TV prog "watchdog" search something on the lines "parking fine" and listen to what the chap says if you recieve one of these fines...lol.

They WILL not fine you,you WILL not get a court injunction and bad credit name,that's all their tactics to make you pay.

And if you want to turn the tables on their unscrupulous tactics,print out an A4 sheet with your own rules and regulations about what will happen if anyone touches your vehicle without permission,yes your property that no one else is allowed to touch or place a sticker on YOUR property without incurring a "fine" and any correspondence letters will be charged at whatever you deem fit,just as their fine.

Some might say.......pay it........Don't,totally ignore DO NOT enter into any dialogue,and they have to prove who was driving the vehicle anyway,you can say you didn't know on that day,someone else who you now can't remember was driving it if it ever got to that point,you were at home gardening.

Those sucked in and frightened into paying are sadly paying for those like myself who basically said go do one by ignoring the letters..........

Master
    Blog Entries
    It Happened to me while I was shopping as I am a bit slow.
    All the Disabled bays where taken by able bodied people but they wouldn’t do anything about that.
    They don’t want you to see the signs,it’s all done by camera and easy money.
    Sainsbury’s refused point blank to help saying it’s nothing to do with them.
    This despite the fact I had asked for help in the shop before I knew about the parking fines.
    I got it cancelled but it wasn’t easy.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    Don't think so, they can still take you to court if they want, and that can cause a lot of hassle for your credit and so on.

P9CLY start...

Utter rubbish,this is why you would pay,because this is the scaremongering they put in their letters,for pity sake wake up and grow some balls.

As I said above........You Tube the watchdog parking fines..........

Your credit won't be affected 1 jot,why do people get sucked into believing all this mu bo jumbo!?.

How much do you think it would cost these cowboys to actually pursue you to the point of going to court.
    A lot of their cowardly earned/stolen money that's what,and you think they do that with all the people they try this on with annually,they'd be out of business,no they just know some will just bend and pay up!.

End........

The facts are it won't matter how much you spent, the car park will be privately run and they will see the fact that you have not stayed within the bounds of the 'contract', i.e. 3 hour limit being breached, i would guess tesco will say the same, it's a third party, so contact them, and when you do, they'll say 'ok, we've reviewed it now, still pay the fine'.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 20th June 2019 at 19:38.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Local authority and the Police are the only ones that can and WILL pursue you and you WILL have to pay.Any other companies trying to dupe you into paying the "fine" will ask you for a higher fee if you don't pay,quite a lot fold at this point choosing to pay the lower "fine" thinking that's fair!.

I ignored all the letters when I recieved same over 6 years ago now,I found it funny to recieve 4 final letters!.

Go on you tube and search for the TV prog "watchdog" search something on the lines "parking fine" and listen to what the chap says if you recieve one of these fines...lol.

They WILL not fine you,you WILL not get a court injunction and bad credit name,that's all their tactics to make you pay.

And if you want to turn the tables on their unscrupulous tactics,print out an A4 sheet with your own rules and regulations about what will happen if anyone touches your vehicle without permission,yes your property that no one else is allowed to touch or place a sticker on YOUR property without incurring a "fine" and any correspondence letters will be charged at whatever you deem fit,just as their fine.

Some might say.......pay it........Don't,totally ignore DO NOT enter into any dialogue,and they have to prove who was driving the vehicle anyway,you can say you didn't know on that day,someone else who you now can't remember was driving it if it ever got to that point,you were at home gardening.

Those sucked in and frightened into paying are sadly paying for those like myself who basically said go do one by ignoring the letters..........
    While this may have been true six years ago, my understanding is that the law has changed in the interim and the enforcement companies can pursue fines.

Some might say you’re taking advantage and parking longer than everyone else for free.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post
    While this may have been true six years ago, my understanding is that the law has changed in the interim and the enforcement companies can pursue fines.
    Still the same,they WILL NOT pursue anyone simply because of their costs in trying to do so.Again you'll be one that sounds like he'd fold and pay up........Oh dear they've got you fooled too haven't they.......

Thats great for the rest who don't want to be robbed in open sight.

Keep paying,Infact leave it for a few months then pay the increased fine hey!!.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 20th June 2019 at 20:01.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Never mind the fine, how the hell have you managed a weekly food shop for your family for £120?!

Master
    Still the same,they WILL NOT pursue anyone simply because of their costs in trying to do so.Again you'll be one that sounds like he'd fold and pay up........Oh dear they've got you fooled too haven't they.......

.. and you sound rather judgemental.

I'm pleased you've bucked the trend so far.
    Some compaines enforce, others don't, depending on their cashflow or individual enforcement policy I suppose.
    I know of instances where over 10 people (probably more) HAVE had enforcement and received CCJ's as a result.
    You will not always get away with it sorry.

Craftsman
    I had a similar experience probably about 3 years ago. I went onto the parking company's website (think it was UKPC) and sent them a message with the fine reference simply stating I was not going to pay it. They replied a day or two afterwards saying they had cancelled the fine and thanking me for my message, haha!

I did the calculation that the fine was such a small amount (I think £60), they would lose money if they burnt any time/resources on either taking me to court or selling the debt. Worst case is that they call the bluff, at which point you've lost nothing - so I'd give that option a go. Especially as you can evidence you were an actual customer!

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Master
    Have you called Tesco's on the number listed on the Silverburn website?
    I would call them if they won't help of revert to asking via twitter what there returns process as you need to return half a pint of milk and some satsumas to go towards the ticket issued when you were shopping in there store.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Thanks for the input, after consideration and a trip to the gym to cool down, I am going to go to Tesco customer service with my bank statement and the Tesco points card that shows what you spent in their shop that day and...make a scene, that doesn't work, I'll just ignore the fine.
    Cheers all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Never mind the fine, how the hell have you managed a weekly food shop for your family for £120?!
    Tbf quite a lot of it is booze.

Master
    Thanks for the input, after consideration and a trip to the gym to cool down, I am going to go to Tesco customer service with my bank statement and the Tesco points card that shows what you spent in their shop that day and...make a scene, that doesn't work, I'll just ignore the fine.
    Cheers all.

- - - Updated - - -

Tbf quite a lot of it is booze.
    If you have no success with the Tesco shop, email their central offices with the details of your spending.

Craftsman
    If you are planning on doing any ignoring, ignore P9CLY. Look what happened to his last client;

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.t...0-ignored/amp/

Look on the Pepipoo website for advice on how to approach these penalties.

You’re mistaken. Private parking companies can and do issue Court proceedings against people to seek recovery of their invoices.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Easy in Aldi😉

Master
    I know what you're saying, but spending a bit more money doesn't mitigate being there too long really. I'd pay it and move on tbh. Saying 'yes, but I'm a big spender' probably won't cut it.
    Not necessarily. A friend of mines wife went over the three hour limit while shopping at a local Asda. She was sent a fine and when she went back to the shop and proved through in store CCTV that she had been on the shop all the time, the cancelled the fine.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Not necessarily. A friend of mines wife went over the three hour limit while shopping at a local Asda. She was sent a fine and when she went back to the shop and proved through in store CCTV that she had been on the shop all the time, the cancelled the fine.
    Over three hours in Asda?? What the hell are these people doing?! In our local store it's so horrible i'd want to be in and out in less than 30 mins! These fines sound like a tax on stupidity (OP excluded of course ;))..

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by GMC41 View Post
    If you are planning on doing any ignoring, ignore P9CLY. Look what happened to his last client;

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.t...0-ignored/amp/

Look on the Pepipoo website for advice on how to approach these penalties.
    I think the point is that generally of it is a single fine, and therefore a low sum, the costs to chase an individual will out-weigh the reward for these companies. Vast majority of people pay up, no questions. They tend to back down fairly quickly of challenged in my personal experience. Doesn't mean the law is on your side as an individual, but personally I'm happy to at least attempt to save myself the cost - what's the worst that can happen?

On the article attached, it is entirely different circumstances! Someone willfully and stupidly just ignoring the fines and not even giving a reason, even as they stacked up! To repeatedly return and ignore them is clearly going to lead to consequences. It became worthwhile for the company to take her to court as they would more than recover their costs and she hadn't appealed any of the fines so therefore they were a stick-on to win.

I wouldn't recommend ignoring, but would say it's definitely worth challenging and seeing what their response is. Unlikely to be any worse off and may just get lucky.

Craftsman

Parking Fine Advice

Quote Originally Posted by jon8oy View Post
    I think the point is that generally of it is a single fine, and therefore a low sum, the costs to chase an individual will out-weigh the reward for these companies. Vast majority of people pay up, no questions. They tend to back down fairly quickly of challenged in my personal experience. Doesn't mean the law is on your side as an individual, but personally I'm happy to at least attempt to save myself the cost - what's the worst that can happen?

On the article attached, it is entirely different circumstances! Someone willfully and stupidly just ignoring the fines and not even giving a reason, even as they stacked up! To repeatedly return and ignore them is clearly going to lead to consequences. It became worthwhile for the company to take her to court as they would more than recover their costs and she hadn't appealed any of the fines so therefore they were a stick-on to win.

I wouldn't recommend ignoring, but would say it's definitely worth challenging and seeing what their response is. Unlikely to be any worse off and may just get lucky.

You’ve written half an essay and finished with “I wouldn’t recommend ignoring” which is precisely what P9CLY was suggesting and what I was saying shouldn’t be done hence the example given. There are plenty more examples out there and companies such as Parking Eye do actively pursue those who ignore.
    Last edited by GMC41; 21st June 2019 at 05:44.

Journeyman
    My wife had one for overstaying at a supermarket , spoke with the store who contacted the parking enforcement on her behalf and they cancelled the notice immediately.
    My daughter has had two of this type of parking notice on both occasions overstaying by several hours one over 12 hrs over the maximum. She appealed both of these via Popla , the official route , and on both occasions the parking enforcement company failed to respond to the appeal and so the case was dismissed.
    She used advice and a proforma letter which is available on MSE but added quite a lot more detail .
    I certainly wouldn’t just ignore it , it was a simple appeal process but I know others have chosen to ignore and succeeded .

There are many occasions of CCJs registered where the culprit ignored the fine. I would have a go as you suggested and if no success pay the fine and forget it. You will be surprised once it’s sorted how quickly you forget about it and move on.

This is no longer correct advice. Private parking companies take people to court and win these days.
    Your best advice (and it looks like you are heading this way) is to sort it out with Tesco.
    If Tesco can't/won't sort it out I'd head for the Pepipoo Private Parking Forum for proper advice: http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=60 - it looks like they have quite a few threads about Tesco Silverburn already.
    Do not ignore it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vulcangascompany View Post
    Over three hours in Asda?? What the hell are these people doing?! In our local store it's so horrible i'd want to be in and out in less than 30 mins! These fines sound like a tax on stupidity (OP excluded of course ;))..
    It’s a large store. Apparently she was clothes shopping (and we all know how long women can take doing that alone) had some food in the cafe and did the grocery shop.
    Personally I’m in and out of the places as fast as I can.

Craftsman
    I had something similar 2 years ago in Glasgow Forge Shopping Centre. Didn’t shop but went to football match and got a letter in post about a week later saying I over stayed.

I ignored all letters and they stop sending them after about 6 months. They say they will take you to court, affect your credit rating, etc. They typically do nothing. With your receipts etc if you contacted the shopping centre in question I’m sure they would cancel it but I’d just ignore them.

Andy

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jon8oy View Post
    I had a similar experience probably about 3 years ago. I went onto the parking company's website (think it was UKPC) and sent them a message with the fine reference simply stating I was not going to pay it. They replied a day or two afterwards saying they had cancelled the fine and thanking me for my message, haha!

I did the calculation that the fine was such a small amount (I think £60), they would lose money if they burnt any time/resources on either taking me to court or selling the debt. Worst case is that they call the bluff, at which point you've lost nothing - so I'd give that option a go. Especially as you can evidence you were an actual customer!

Exactly what I said,yet some STILL think they will pursue you etc etc.......they won't it's not cost effective,but again those who feel it's worth paying just carry on doing so.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post
    .. and you sound rather judgemental.
    Purely judgemental on your reply.How can I actually judge you not knowing you!.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by leiper View Post
    I had something similar 2 years ago in Glasgow Forge Shopping Centre. Didn’t shop but went to football match and got a letter in post about a week later saying I over stayed.

I ignored all letters and they stop sending them after about 6 months. They say they will take you to court, affect your credit rating, etc. They typically do nothing. With your receipts etc if you contacted the shopping centre in question I’m sure they would cancel it but I’d just ignore them.

Andy
    Well done and the correct thing to do,the others saying pay up or ccjs will all happen are wrong.Do not get into any correspondence with them whatsoever,any letters sent to you are NOT registered so how can they prove YOU the driver or should I say owner of that vehicle which the fine is against actually recieved opened and even read that letter?.....
    Those saying they have proof of people paying are the ones that have been duped and frightened into paying so yes you will always have that proof if you know these people personally.

I guess most of how you deal with this situation is more to do with how you are as a person tbh.........
    Last edited by P9CLY; 21st June 2019 at 08:36.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leiper View Post

Andy
    Well done and the correct thing to do,the others saying pay up or ccjs will all happen are wrong.
    I find it odd that such selfish attitudes seem to be applauded these days. The main reason for time limits is to free up spaces for others who wish to use the shop. But some obviously feel they are special and should be allowed to park when and where they please.

Grand Master
    I find it odd that such selfish attitudes seem to be applauded these days. The main reason for time limits is to free up spaces for others who wish to use the shop. But some obviously feel they are special and should be allowed to park when and where they please.

The topic is about the parking fine rather than how long someone has actually parked.Yes I understand your point of view......

And in all honesty I've never not found a parking space in any supermarket car park or retail outlet car park ever.But then again I always park the furthest away from the entrance where it's quiet only to return and can hardly get back into my car!.

Blog Entries
    The topic is about the parking fine rather than how long someone has actually parked.Yes I understand your point of view......

And in all honesty I've never not found a parking space in any supermarket car park or retail outlet car park ever.But then again I always park the furthest away from the entrance where it's quiet only to return and can hardly get back into my car!.
    My attitude is that if everyone stuck to the allowed times the parking company’s would go out of business. If others wish to make themselves victims fair enough!

Master

Just do this.

I guess most of how you deal with this situation is more to do with how you are as a person tbh.........
    Yes, a selfish, antisocial person will expect to park for free on someone else's property.

The topic is about the parking fine rather than how long someone has actually parked.
    Stick to that then.

Master
    Play nice with tesco and it will probably be rescinded. I had a meeting at UOH Hatfield and my colleagues and I decided to go for breakfast at the Comet hotel just round the corner - we didn't realise it was controlled parking and got tickets. The hotel very nicely contacted the parking company which waived the fine on production of our breakfast receipt.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Yes, a selfish, antisocial person will expect to park for free on someone else's property.

Stick to that then.
    Wouldn't call myself selfish or antisocial. Heading into Glasgow city centre tonight for dinner with friends and parking I will have to pay, this I know.
    Parking in an out of town shopping centre that I have spent a considerable amount of money in...I don't expect to pay, or be fined.

I personally wouldn't ignore, the law has changed and with some of the recent wins that parking enforcement companies have I wouldn't want to be their test case. Tescos should be able to order the parking company to cancel the ticket and don't let them tell you otherwise.

I had something similar with Currys in Watford, went there to look and buy something, was told to come back in an hour as the item would be in their latest delivery. So popped back and got a ticket for re-returning within a specified time period. Went into Currys and got the sorry etc... but when they realised I wasn't going to go away the manager came over, took my details and got the fine cancelled.