closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Ultra Deep Professional Becomes The Deepest Diving Watch

Craftsman

Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Ultra Deep Professional Becomes The Deepest Diving Watch

I like the look of that. Will keep an eye out for the review

28mm thickness!

Sent from my E6653 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Achievement aside I really like the styling of that. Not sure I'd ever want to be seen wearing a 28mm thick watch though! Presumably these won't be available for general public to buy?

A new record!... by a whole 12 metres

Not that such would be tested in the slightest by any potential buyer/wearer

Good looking colours though

Master
    Rolex will have cancelled all weekend leave......

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Just thinking the same thing. “Right lads, we a need a Deepsea II rated 20,000m”

Well done Omega for really pushing the boundaries.

Master
    I can’t wait to see it in the metal.

It looks great but that is one heck of a thick watch!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Probably best not to shower with it though.

Master
    They’ve got the thickness right with I hope 15mm thick sapphire . But titanium ? It needed to be bored from a single steel ingot with a lead inner casing so that only the mightiest wrist could wear it!
    Breitlings and Deepseas are just for girls this is proper macho stuff . I’m going to grow a serous Special forces style moustache before wearing one of these !

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Probably planning on digging a little hole on the sea bed at the deepest point

Journeyman
    Looks spectacular!

Sent from my SM-G965F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Finally! A no-date Planet Ocean.

simon

Ooooo that’s a great looking Planet Ocean

I can’t see a He valve at 10. Interesting...

As nice as the face is thats not a watch in my eyes, 28mm come on that would look ridiculous on the wrist, its basically a lump of metal with numbers on it made to be strapped on another piece of metal which goes under water...

Bring on the hate...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ej86 View Post
    I can’t see a He valve at 10. Interesting...
    Does not need one.

Craftsman
    Love it! Dearer than the Ploprof do we reckon?

Journeyman
    Its a great looking watch, love the blue! Just needs shrinking

Craftsman
    A thing of beauty

Well it's obvious who this watch was designed as a blow against, and l dare say it's had precisely the desired effect.
    rolex will be, as l type, seriously discussing the counter to this offering from Omega.

I say well done to them. Competition is always a driving force for excellence.

But, by god, the next rollie to challenge the UDP is going to be an absolute beast...

...wouldn't be surprised if there was one strapped to the next probe to Jupiter!!!

Silly stuff. Aside from the pointlessness of the WR, the design isn't functional. Stupidly thick, half-indexed bezel, poor contrast on the dial, no crown protection.

The point at which a WR record becomes interesting is when it is achieved in a useable watch IMHO.

Craftsman
    Nice - and it's the only watch I've seen recently that looks good on a fabric strap/NATO.

Blog Entries
    28mm thick? Ye Gods! That's a chunky number. According to Hodinkee, it's rated to 15,000 metres. My question would be 'why?' when there isn't an ocean that deep on the planet.

Isn't it just a project and not for release? More like a kudos project

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Olives View Post
    Isn't it just a project and not for release? More like a kudos project
    It'll be a limited run from what I understand.

I am surprised that Omega throw any resources at this waste of time.
    12m extra - woohooo.
    Especially when the likes of B&R, Beuchat and Sinn made the superfat waterproof case irrelevant when they came up with oil-filled quartz, which we can all buy, at a tiny fraction of the investment.
    The B & R actually had 11100m WR printed on the dial, and the case for that was about 11mm thick. And it was a production model.
    Even the likes of Pita Barcelona offer a 5000m WR mechanical watch that is a mere 18mm thick.
    So to see that Omega has leaped into a race that was won decades ago is laughable.
    They are just trying to position themselves near Rolex, and it smacks of trying too hard.
    They should just let their (impressive) watches speak for themselves. Omega have been introducing a very dool array of of innovative (but relevant) tech into their watches for the last decade or more, they should stick with that.

Dave

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I am surprised that Omega throw any resources at this waste of time.
    12m extra - woohooo.
    Especially when the likes of B&R, Beuchat and Sinn made the superfat waterproof case irrelevant when they came up with oil-filled quartz, which we can all buy, at a tiny fraction of the investment.
    The B & R actually had 11100m WR printed on the dial, and the case for that was about 11mm thick. And it was a production model.
    Even the likes of Pita Barcelona offer a 5000m WR mechanical watch that is a mere 18mm thick.
    So to see that Omega has leaped into a race that was won decades ago is laughable.
    They are just trying to position themselves near Rolex, and it smacks of trying too hard.
    They should just let their (impressive) watches speak for themselves. Omega have been introducing a very dool array of of innovative (but relevant) tech into their watches for the last decade or more, they should stick with that.

Dave
    The Ultra Deep has a WR of 15,000m. Totally useless on this earth but, 15,000 nonetheless

Has there been a price announced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So if Rolex strap DSSD and go down to the extra 12m mark ,which I think it would do easy is it a draw ?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    Silly stuff. Aside from the pointlessness of the WR, the design isn't functional. Stupidly thick, half-indexed bezel, poor contrast on the dial, no crown protection.

The point at which a WR record becomes interesting is when it is achieved in a useable watch IMHO.
    Fair point but I think of projects like this as the Formula 1 series of watch development. Yes it's stupidly thick etc and would be unsuitable to use on a daily basis but Omega and other makers are pushing boundaries and the technology will eventually trickle down into hopefully slimmer, more wearable watches!

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Master
    The only thing that goes deeper is Ben Clymer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    Fair point but I think of projects like this as the Formula 1 series of watch development. Yes it's stupidly thick etc and would be unsuitable to use on a daily basis but Omega and other makers are pushing boundaries and the technology will eventually trickle down into hopefully slimmer, more wearable watches!

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    It certainly is stupidly thick but, according to Omega, it's an 'important' half a mm thinner than the Rolex that previously held the title. Where's my cheque book?

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by BSB View Post
    The Ultra Deep has a WR of 15,000m. Totally useless on this earth but, 15,000 nonetheless
    Indeed, and I am sure Omega can show me where this is usable. No? Oh well.

There is no trickle down here, WR capability on most watches is already way beyond the usable, and this is Omega pre-historic in terms of thinking methods around WR.
    Let us not forget the Rolex version (see Hodinkee article in the OP) was done in 1960.

Yes, a full 59 years ago.

Omega lost this race before NASA selected the Speedie.

The rather paltry achievement of gaining 12m on Rolex 59 years later will have the coronet lads smirking into their machiatos. There will certainly be no leave cancellation there.

Like I say, I think Omega are innovating nicely, with their non-magnetic Si hairsprings, double barrel movements, co-axial escapements, hour hacking on 3-handers, liquid metal etc etc etc. All usable, relevant, and innovative.
    But this? A non-issue.

Especially as I can buy a (roughly) 10-year-old B & R Hydromax on Chrono24 today for £1300.

Dave

Gray

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    What technology is that?

It certainly is stupidly thick but, according to Omega, it's an 'important' half a mm thinner than the Rolex that previously held the title. Where's my cheque book?
    Pointless as I'm sure all Rolex are tested to 25% more than the WR on their dials anyway.

Master
    Adventure and techonological endeavour is never pointless and often creates spin-off benefits
    Here’s a side shot
    1000 baby names and meanings

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Heres one I made earlier

Love the design and the idea and the execution.
    Yes it’s bonkers and silly but it’s also adventurous and pushes the limit, which is always welcome.

I think it looks awesome and look forward to seeing the styling cues (especially those lugs!) make their way to more useable, day to day omegas.

I'm holding out for the 15001m limited edition.

Limited to just 15001 pieces for the princely sum of just £15001.
    Last edited by DaveA; 21st June 2019 at 22:20.

Formula 1 develops useful technology that makes cars safer, more efficient, lighter etc. Developing a watch that can go really deep develops useful technology like, erm, a thick watch that can go really deep, erm........?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28mm thick? Ye Gods! That's a chunky number.
    Indeed.

Face on, it's a attractive design..
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

if you can buy one,and at 28mmm thick ,watch those door frames,walls etc

I bet it still says moon on it somewhere

Journeyman
    But isn’t Omega is an expert in making thick watches,as seen on their cal 8500 PO

I tried a 21mm thick panerai in titanium amd on rubber dive strap and it’s already flopping around,I wonder how 28mm will fit on the wrist??

But when you think about it...while Rolex is too busy making watches to fulfill the orders while Omega have spare time to make this kind of watch/submarine/UFO ship hybrid....

Craftsman
    And I thought my Muhle Rasmus was a lump