closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Stolen cycle wheel - advice sought

Master

Stolen cycle wheel - advice sought

I know there are quite a few cyclists on the forum and I could use their counsel.

The front wheel of my son's bike has been nicked from school. (This is progress - last time they nicked the entire bike.) No he didn't secure the front wheel along with the frame with the d-lock; that's something I'll pursue separately ...

I just need some help please,

1] re where best online to source a single (cheap) replacement wheel, and

2] how to convert the dreaded quick-release to normal bolt etc for next time.

The numbers on the remaining wheel are: '700C x 18C/23C etrto 622 X 13'. I could really use a steer on this from someone - thanks.

Grand Master
    It means it's a 700c road bike wheel, standard for road/racing bikes, the other dimensions are just the rim width, which tells you what tyres you can put on it, the etrto 622 x 13 is again just the size, 622 = 700c, 13 = 13mm internal rim width.

So basically look for a 700c wheel, with that rim width, not sure how cheap you want, but the usual places, such as chainreactioncycles.com merlincycles.com and planetx.co.uk have some, but might be a struggle to get it that cheap online with postage on top.

Grand Master
    forgot to say, might be worth joining the groups on facebook and asking the question, loads of spare garage wheels i bet in your area, go on cycling marketplace sites, facebook marketplace, facebook road cycling groups in your area, etc and i bet you can find something quick.

You can buy anti theft q/r s probably easier than trying to convert a wheel

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/seat-whe...d_8380625.html

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-1...d_8528050.html

These may work, also depends on if the bike has rim or disc brakes. I've always found decathlon helpful and reasonable if you have one close by?

Master
    Argee77, mav112, Craig - sincere thanks for these replies. I'll get onto trying to source a wheel and then set about those alt clamps, which look just the job. (I do wish quick-release hadn't become so standard - obviously good for high-end stuff but a thief's best friend much of the time.)

Have a look at merlin cycles they had a wheel for£37 ish assuming its not a disc brake bike

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Amazon:Wilkinson Hybrid 700c Bike Wheel, Front, Std Wall

£23.44 & free delivery

Hope no one minds me jumping in on this, but have a similar question.

My lad is autistic and has some balance issues, he never got on with his balance bike as a nipper, so we ended up going to a little trike. He's long since outgrown that, so we've got him a 24in wheeled mountain style bike, this one https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...iABEgKaofD_BwE
    Try as we might, he just can't get the hang of it so we've had to give in and get him some stabilisers, hopefully just short term until he gets his confidence. I've bought some nice chunky ones suitable for 24in wheels, but it says they can't be fitted with QR wheels, which his bike has. How do i go about converting a QR wheel to solid axle/nut affair?

Cheers

Brighty

Master

advice given

Learn to unicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Hope no one minds me jumping in on this, but have a similar question.

My lad is autistic and has some balance issues, he never got on with his balance bike as a nipper, so we ended up going to a little trike. He's long since outgrown that, so we've got him a 24in wheeled mountain style bike, this one https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...iABEgKaofD_BwE
    Try as we might, he just can't get the hang of it so we've had to give in and get him some stabilisers, hopefully just short term until he gets his confidence. I've bought some nice chunky ones suitable for 24in wheels, but it says they can't be fitted with QR wheels, which his bike has. How do i go about converting a QR wheel to solid axle/nut affair?

Cheers

Brighty
    I'd say your best bet is to go to a local bike shop. I'm sure most places would come up with a solution if you explain the requirement.

ETA - I mean a proper bike shop, not halfords or similar places.

Quote Originally Posted by WhopperSenior View Post
    I'd say your best bet is to go to a local bike shop. I'm sure most places would come up with a solution if you explain the requirement.

ETA - I mean a proper bike shop, not halfords or similar places.

Probably the best advice - one of those shops with loads of boxes of parts out the back!
    Without knowing the make of the hub (it's just referred to as 'unbranded' on the specs) it's hard to know whether you'd be able to get hold of a solid axle. You could rebuild the wheel onto a new hub with bolts but that would be a bit of a pain - usually people want to rebuild wheels the other way, replacing bolts with QR.

Maybe look for some stabilisers which attach via clips over the seat and chain stays. I'm sure an old bike of ours had those rather than axle-mounted ones...