closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Secondhand Rolex LV price madness

Quote Originally Posted by EmilA View Post
    In terms of them being available at discount before. I joined the watch “game” in 2016 and sadly that boat had already sailed for me.
    I received 8% off a SubC in 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I'd love to know who the buyers are!

You could have had a 116610LV with a discount 4/5 years ago (per my AD). Who is it buying at £15k+ that didn't like the idea when they were c£6k??
    Believe it or not some will be buying (at grey dealer prices) thinking its a investment and will keep going up (the bubble/music will keep going).The batman/hulk is now a money making vehicle/speculation item, its similar to bitcoin/crypto last year and various other bubbles in the past (The Tulip bubble was 300 years ago)

If Rolex increase their production which they will, I wonder what will happen to Rolex sports models going for 10k above list. In the past Rolex have increased their production to meet demand. In the 1960's they made approx 30k watches a year land last year almost a million so time will tell.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    Believe it or not some will be buying (at grey dealer prices) thinking its a investment and will keep going up (the bubble/music will keep going).The batman/hulk is now a money making vehicle/speculation item, its similar to bitcoin/crypto last year and various other bubbles in the past (The Tulip bubble was 300 years ago)
    I agree, which is one of the many reasons I wouldn't buy at over list and certainly not double list and more.

The greater fool theory:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory

Master

Secondhand Rolex LV price madness

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I agree, which is one of the many reasons I wouldn't buy at over list and certainly not double list and more.

The greater fool theory:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
    Having reflected on this quite a bit recently I think in the next decade or two prices will decline sharply as general interest in mechanical watches is likely to decrease and at some point there might not be enough mass appeal even for brands like Rolex. I am happy to own a GMT but wouldn’t pay crazy money on other models as I think the quality of the watches is way out of sync with their current pricing which will at some point be readjusted.
    Thinking that my GMT is now ‘worth’ £8-10k is frankly ridiculous.

The bubble is created through marketing and consumer desire, once the desire is gone prices are likely to take a nose dive.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    With respect, paying huge premiums over the intrinsic cost of something is almost the definition of jewellery. I dare say that people buying these watches should probably be grateful that Rolex enforce an RRP for most ADs, otherwise the prices would be even higher.

As for shoes, have you looked at the market for trainers in the last five years? Have a look on eBay for ‘Yeezy’ for instance - a product made in low cost factories in China.

I’m immune of course. Never mind that I just paid £45 for a watch strap made from two cheap pieces of pressed metal and a length of old parachute webbing that must have cost 20p to produce .

So few seem to get this concept when it comes to watches. These days, watches are, first and foremost, jewellery. Jewellery is about status.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchdude View Post
    Having reflected on this quite a bit recently I think in the next decade or two prices will decline sharply as general interest in mechanical watches is likely to decrease and at some point there might not be enough mass appeal even for brands like Rolex. I am happy to own a GMT but wouldn’t pay crazy money on other models as I think the quality of the watches is way out of sync with their current pricing which will at some point be readjusted.

The bubble is created through marketing and consumer desire, once the desire is gone prices are likely to take a nose dive.
    If prices go up, they go up. If they go down, they go down. Frankly only 0.00000000000001% of the worlds population worries about it.

Get over it, relax and stop worring.

Most people on this planet buy a rolex ( just 1) and enjoy it.
    Watch forums drive people crazy :)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    Did anyone ever notice your watch or comment on it or did you just regard it as flashy?

I think bezel edge on subs catches the light and is noticeable. Not as much as a fluted bezel of course.
    People noticed it when i got angry and i ripped my shirt off

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

I see no reason to believe that will be the case. Women aren’t suddenly going to stop wearing jewellery, and a lot of men are not going to stop wearing and buying watches - that’s just the way it is.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I see no reason to believe that will be the case. Women aren’t suddenly going to stop wearing jewellery, and a lot of men are not going to stop wearing and buying watches - that’s just the way it is.
    Of course not representative but in my office even half of the older generation and most of the younger generation is already wearing smart watches. From what I can see this trend will continue and I think at some point mechanical watches will be a niche market for enthusiasts.

Of course not representative but in my office even half of the older generation and most of the younger generation is already wearing smart watches. From what I can see this trend will continue and I think at some point mechanical watches will be a niche market for enthusiasts.
    In the London offices I work in the under 30’s typically wear fashion watches, smart watches, or small leather strap dress watches, but i know very clearly from the conversations i’ve had (on an uncomfortably frequent basis) that there are a lot of high end watch buyers in waiting. They just don’t have the money now, but when they do they will. They regularly ask me about watches, how can they get on lists, what the differences are between models. I can tell you too that in my kids primary school they know what a Rolex is, they talk about them, and one even wears one bought for him by his “rich Romanian uncle” (make of that what you will)

The marketing is working so well, and in my humble opinion there are a steady stream of buyers for decades irrespective of other factors, especially smart watches which i’m actually seeing declining.

Quote Originally Posted by anz3001 View Post
    So few seem to get this concept when it comes to watches. These days, watches are, first and foremost, jewellery. Jewellery is about status.
    Quite a few are about nerdy personal interest and taste, at least most of mine are. Jewellery can be about beauty. But I agree a fair few people do buy watches for status.

I agree it’s exactly the same in my office most people are now wearing smart watches.

Quote Originally Posted by raptor View Post
    Most people on this planet buy a rolex ( just 1) and enjoy it.
    Watch forums drive people crazy :)
    Most people on this planet buy something like a seiko or smart watch nowadays and get on with life.

I think in absolute numbers it already is, and has been for some time.
    It's just a matter of time...

Apprentice
    I tend to think watches will always come in and out of fashion but I don’t see the wearing of watches outside of enthusiast circles dying out any time soon. Certainly at least for as long as the human race continues to respond to social signalling and since that is an evolutionarily hard-wired trait, I wouldn’t bet on things changing.

Fashion is cyclical. Stuff is cool when it’s niche, then it becomes the fashion, eventually becoming so ubiquitous as to be uncool, so casual followers drop away; it then becomes niche again and the cycle continues.

Before anybody mentions pocket-watches, you can’t signal your status or your membership of a club (the WIS club in this case) with something that is invisible to the outside world 99% of the time, hence they died out. I suspect wrist watches will be more resilient.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
    I tend to think watches will always come in and out of fashion but I don’t see the wearing of watches outside of enthusiast circles dying out any time soon. Certainly at least for as long as the human race continues to respond to social signalling and since that is an evolutionarily hard-wired trait, I wouldn’t bet on things changing.

Fashion is cyclical. Stuff is cool when it’s niche, then it becomes the fashion, eventually becoming so ubiquitous as to be uncool, so casual followers drop away; it then becomes niche again and the cycle continues.

Before anybody mentions pocket-watches, you can’t signal your status or your membership of a club (the WIS club in this case) with something that is invisible to the outside world 99% of the time, hence they died out. I suspect wrist watches will be more resilient.
    I think the luxury watch market will always be there because a watch is something a man can wear 24/7.

The main threat is if the small watch fashion returns. All the 40mm stuff will look as wide as a pair of 1970s flares.