closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Chernobyl series.

Grand Master

Chernobyl series.

Just watched "Chernobyl" 31 officially died!,Does the world really ever learn from its mistakes made by the people in power?.I would guess we're all as bad as the rest,but do the Russian leaders really think we believe only 31 people died as a result of the total devastation on that ill fated day.Liars are the leaders of this planet of ours,those same leaders will be the death of us and the annihilation of it too.

One of the best TV series ever and incredibly relevant to the modern world. I see the current Russian administration are saying it is all lies and they are making their own version (blaming a western conspiracy I think)!

"Every lie incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later that debt is paid."
    Last edited by watchcollector1; 24th June 2019 at 14:43.

I found it quite horrific... moved me a lot.

I watched E1 last night and it got me hooked from the first five minutes!

- - - Updated - - -

I watched E1 last night and it got me hooked from the first five minutes!

Blog Entries
    In a similar vein, there is a 2005 BBC two-part series on Netflix available about Hiroshima. Also, absolutely harrowing. Members of the flight crew of the Enola Gay and survivors of the horror interviewed. Horrifying but, a must watch.

Amazing series
    As a supervisor in control rooms in refining and power industries for close to 35 years I was amazed how well the dynamics of the different personalities were acted as things were going wrong
    Very lifelike, I can assure you!
    Shame to think the uk once led the world in AGR reactor technology ( v expensive but much safer)

An excellent miniseries, I also watched a separate documentary afterwards about what really happened vs the miniseries version. It had some amazing interviews with some of the miners, soldiers (rooftop clearers), a cameraman who recorded footage at the time for the government and even one of the three guys who went under the reactor core to drain the water.

Needless to say the interviewees have seen most of their colleagues die from radiation related diseases.

Harrowing stuff.

Finished it last night. Highly recommended.

Chernobyl was an excellent series.

Sorry to sound like a stuck record, as I've mentioned it a couple of times before, but I throughly recommend this book:

She also did a book called Zinky Boys on Afghanistan which is also very good.

Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    One of the best TV series ever and incredibly relevant to the modern world. I see the current Russian administration are saying it is all lies and they are making their own version (blaming a western conspiracy I think)!

Nuclear Meltdown at HBO

There is no particular reason why you should be aware of this, but HBO, in collaboration with British Sky, has created a miniseries about the Chernobyl disaster. I have not watched it, but I have read multiple analyses and discussions of it by those who have, and who can also claim the Chernobyl disaster as their particular area of expertise. Based on their collective verdict, I will not watch it, because it is basically sh1t, and I have much better things to do with my time. So do you. The miniseries isn’t interesting; what is interesting is why and how it was made. Armed with this understanding, we will know what to look out for.

First of all, let us point out that HBO and Sky are but minor divisions within two vast mass media conglomerates, WarnerMedia (worth $85.4 billion) and Comcast (worth $187 billion). If this miniseries were a Russian propaganda exercise, ordered by the Kremlin, then it would have been made by state-owned entities VGTRK and First Channel; but the US (and its British subsidiary) are run by an oligarchy which carries out its propaganda exercises through private corporate entities. Nevertheless, it is still a propaganda exercise, and it is very interesting to ask, What is being propagandized, and for what purpose?
    Zee LINKY

Oh and just FYI

Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Zee LINKY

Oh and just FYI

I don't really get the author's (or your) point here. The mini series was made by 2 large media corporations therefore it must be propaganda? Is that it?!

And I haven't been in living in a cave for the last 34 years, I'm well aware that Chernobyl is in the Ukraine.

You may also remember that the Ukraine was part of the Soviet Union of which Russia was the centre of power. So it's (ex KGB) Putin's Russian government who are trying to defend the honour of the old Soviet Union by claiming the miniseries is propaganda.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.t...sian-tv-remake
    Last edited by watchcollector1; 25th June 2019 at 01:27.

I don't really get the author's (or your) point here. The mini series was made by 2 large media corporations therefore it must be propaganda? Is that it?!

And I haven't been in living in a cave for the last 34 years, I'm well aware that Chernobyl is in the Ukraine.

You may also remember that the Ukraine was part of the Soviet Union of which Russia was the centre of power. So it's (ex KGB) Putin's Russian government who are trying to defend the honour of the old Soviet Union by claiming the miniseries is propaganda.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.t...sian-tv-remake
    It’s long conversation and definitely not for the G&D, in a nutshell this is just another episode in the centuries long relentless 'game' to keep Russia in check by any means necessary including violence and military conflicts. It matters not whether it was Tsarist Russia, USSR or it's now capitalist Russia, it’s the same play book - same propaganda methods even propaganda images are the same, not to mention old time favourite - attempts to distort, obfuscate and rewrite history to suit one’s geopolitical agenda. 'Hearts and minds' innit.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Craftsman
    It’s long conversation and definitely not for the G&D, in a nutshell this is just another episode in the centuries long relentless 'game' to keep Russia in check by any means necessary including violence and military conflicts. It matters not whether it was Tsarist Russia, USSR or it's now capitalist Russia, it’s the same play book - same propaganda methods even propaganda images are the same, not to mention old time favourite - attempts to distort, obfuscate and rewrite history to suit one’s geopolitical agenda. 'Hearts and minds' innit.
    You are propagating a decades old theory centric theory of flat earth.. Elvis lives.. the first man on the moon was actually in Holywood.., the Holocaust did not take place.. and the USSR was a monastery for the starving.
    Oh yes snd Chernobyl the disaster based on actual events that took place because of that centuries old practice of covering your arse and lying through your teeth.. or did I imagine the fallout .. great to comment so strongly on something you admit you did not even watch..
    Propaganda it most certainly isnt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I've got a friend in the Ukraine whose just finished watching Chernobyl. He said it was full of historical inaccuracies - he counted at least eight on one hand

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    I've got a friend in the Ukraine whose just finished watching Chernobyl. He said it was full of historical inaccuracies - he counted at least eight on one hand
    Which of his 3 hands was that on...

Have you any idea how crazy that sounds? "A centuries old conspiracy....", seriously!!

Perfect example of the blind thinking and perversion of the truth that leads to a disaster like Chernobyl.

At least we agree it's not a discussion to continue in the G&D.

Changing the subject, do you happen to know how tall the spire of Salisbury Cathedral is? I was thinking of visiting.
    Last edited by watchcollector1; 26th June 2019 at 17:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Frantastic View Post
    You are propagating a decades old theory centric theory of flat earth.. Elvis lives.. the first man on the moon was actually in Holywood.., the Holocaust did not take place.. and the USSR was a monastery for the starving.
    Oh yes snd Chernobyl the disaster based on actual events that took place because of that centuries old practice of covering your arse and lying through your teeth.. or did I imagine the fallout .. great to comment so strongly on something you admit you did not even watch..
    Propaganda it most certainly isnt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Did you actually read the article I linked to? The author’s opinion is based on his professional experience (helps to read on his background also) and opinion of the people ‘familiar with the matter’ who watched the mini series. I have no way of knowing one way or another, what I know for the fact though is that HBO series suits perfectly the crumbling Western nuclear energy lobby agenda. It’s exactly the same methods with Kaspersky Lab in cyber, or Huawei in telecom to mention a few.

Funny you’ve mentioned Holocaust, so presumably you are one who would be outraged by the fact that Putin was not invited to the 75th anniversary celebrations of D-Day in Normandy alongside Angela Merkel to represent thousands if not millions of Russian Jews who were deliberately exterminated by Nazi Germany alongside Slavs - Russians, Belorussian, Ukrainians etc. Sacrifices and victories on the Eastern front which made it possible for the Allied forces to land in Normandy. And now let us loop back to the attempts of obfuscating and rewriting history bit..

Speaking of Hollywood, it’s just pure fun and entertainment innit

Before

After

If I was a conspiracy theorist I could draw a lot of far reaching conclusions from these innocent photos, but I actually believe that President Reagan never had sex with these men.
    Last edited by VDG; 27th June 2019 at 12:41.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Did you actually read the article I linked to? The author’s opinion is based on his professional experience (helps to read on his background also) and opinion of the people ‘familiar with the matter’ who watched the mini series. I have no way of knowing one way or another, what I know for the fact though is that HBO series suits perfectly the crumbling Western nuclear energy lobby agenda. It’s exactly the same methods with Kaspersky Lab in cyber, or Huawei in telecom to mention a few.

Funny you’ve mentioned Holocaust, so presumably you are one who would be outraged by the fact that Putin was not invited to the 75th anniversary celebrations of D-Day in Normandy alongside Angela Merkel to represent thousands if not millions of Russian Jews who were deliberately exterminated by Nazi Germany alongside Slavs - Russians, Belorussian, Ukrainians etc. Sacrifices and victories on the Eastern front which made it possible for the Allied forces to land in Normandy. And now let us loop back to the attempts of obfuscating and rewriting history bit..

Speaking of Hollywood, it’s just pure fun and entertainment innit

Before

After

If I was a conspiracy theorist I could draw a lot of far reaching conclusions from these innocent photos, but I actually believe that President Reagan never had sex with these men.
    I read half way through the article on Chernobyl but then couldn't be bothered to read anymore. It's probably the most far fetched article I've ever read. For example the US supposidly detonated a nuclear bomb off the coast of it's ally Japan when Fukushima was in peril, in order to release radiation to discredit the Japanese Nuclear industry thus protecting Uranium supplies for US Nuclear Power plants.

Even the tin foil hat brigade would think this article is laughable nonsense. Surely you can't believe sources like this?

I didn't mention the Holocaust?

Russia wasn't part of the D Day landings. Does Russia invite allied heads of state to all commemorations of the WW2 battles it fought alone? Putin would've been invited anyway but it wasn't appropriate given the Ukraine invasion, Salisbury poisonings, etc

Ultimately there would be zero benefit to anyone (especially for a commercial organisation) to spread propaganda about a 34 year old disaster that occurred in a state that no longer exists.

What this is really about is the inability to accept that Russia or the USSR has ever or can ever do wrong. That is your agenda and will always shape what you are willing to believe.
    Last edited by watchcollector1; 27th June 2019 at 16:43.

I read half way through the article on Chernobyl but then couldn't be bothered to read anymore. It's probably the most far fetched article I've ever read. For example the US supposidly detonated a nuclear bomb off the coast of it's ally Japan when Fukushima was in peril, in order to release radiation to discredit the Japanese Nuclear industry thus protecting Uranium supplies for US Nuclear Power plants.

Even the tin foil hat brigade would think this article is laughable nonsense. Surely you can't believe sources like this?

I didn't mention the Holocaust?

Russia wasn't part of the D Day landings. Does Russia invite allied heads of state to all commemorations of the WW2 battles it fought alone? Putin would've been invited anyway but it wasn't appropriate given the Ukraine invasion, Salisbury poisonings, etc

Ultimately there would be zero benefit to anyone (especially for a commercial organisation) to spread propaganda about a 34 year old disaster that occurred in a state that no longer exists.

What this is really about is the inability to accept that Russia or the USSR has ever or can ever do wrong. That is your agenda and will always shape what you are willing to believe.
    Got it in one.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

If Chernobyl wasn't as bad a nuclear accident as the conspiracy theorists believe, why has the area been off-limits for decades, and billions being spent on making the site safe?
    Laughable.

KAnd that’s how unadulterated blatant propaganda works - you inject a lie or twisted narrative, then bombard public with idiotic headlines and horror stories in order to achieve your goals..

Let me introduce to you ... drumroll... 'Floating Chernobyl'.

Didn’t take long innit, clearly someone is in a hurry..

https://www.ecowatch.com/floating-ch...639056000.html

https://news.clearancejobs.com/2019/...-from-fiction/

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/06/28/e...ntl/index.html

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/...-arctic-circle

https://www.dw.com/en/russias-floati...sea/a-43579556
    Last edited by VDG; 5th July 2019 at 11:47.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

You seem to have posted in the wrong thread, this one is about a TV show.

Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    You seem to have posted in the wrong thread, this one is about a TV show.
    You seem to have problems with comprehension or didn’t read any of the posts above mine.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

I enjoyed the series, and it brought back memories for me.

As the wind was unusually a strong anticyclonic, Western Europe got a good dose of the radiation.

I remember as a teenager hanging Geiger counters out of our chemistry lab at school, to see if we could pick up any higher levels of radiation from the rainwater that collected on a flat roof at our school.

You seem to have problems with comprehension or didn’t read any of the posts above mine.

No I'm fine, it was you taking the thread on a tangent, post 10 was where it all got a bit tin foil hat.

Did you enjoy the series?

Why should you never buy boxer shorts from Ukraine?

Because Chernobyl fallout

Quote Originally Posted by animalone View Post
    Why should you never buy boxer shorts from Ukraine?

Because Chernobyl fallout
    🤣

Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    No I'm fine, it was you taking the thread on a tangent, post 10 was where it all got a bit tin foil hat.

Did you enjoy the series?
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Just watched "Chernobyl" 31 officially died!,Does the world really ever learn from its mistakes made by the people in power?.I would guess we're all as bad as the rest,but do the Russian leaders really think we believe only 31 people died as a result of the total devastation on that ill fated day.Liars are the leaders of this planet of ours,those same leaders will be the death of us and the annihilation of it too.

Are you sure you’re fine? I’ve highlighted in bold conspiratorial bits in post #1 and #2 for your perusal and would be kind to assume that you've just skipped both posts to read #10, otherwise, a quick basic comprehension revision course is in order methinks.

That aside, let’s us focus on the substance rather than colour and size of our handbags, what do you think about this bit of the article I linked to (quoted for your convenience):

And this brings us to the final question: What would prompt two giant Western media conglomerates to throw massive treasure at a relatively obscure and unpopular miniseries that is essentially a nuclear horror flick that is custom-tailored to smear Russia? Yes, the 30-year anniversary of the disaster is indeed an anniversary, but what else? Here, the relevant facts appear to be as follows:

The collective West has pretty much lost the ability to build nuclear power plants.

The only new European nuclear power plant to have been completed is in… China, and the project only succeeded thanks to swarms of Chinese specialists documenting and rectifying every single mistake made by the Europeans at a similar reactor in France, which is not on-line yet. Another similar project in Finland is in some state of un-completion. All three of these projects have seen absolutely staggering schedule slips (of a decade or more) and truly ridiculous cost overruns. A couple more projects in the US are also languishing in some state of un-completion (the Department of Energy recently threw some more federal money at the one in Georgia).

Meanwhile, Russia’s Rosatom has perfected the latest VVER-1200 and has a full dance card building, fueling and operating nuclear power plants all around the planet. Since nuclear reactors apparently do melt down sporadically, Russia’s latest ones are fitted with a meltdown tank that stops the reaction and makes clean-up easier, so no more “China syndrome.” And since it does apparently happen that nuclear fuel becomes exposed and generates hydrogen gas, the new reactors have catalytic hydrogen scrubbers installed at the top of the containment vessel, so no more hydrogen explosions either. Rosatom now owns something like 2/3 of the global market for new nuclear energy projects. China has a very ambitious program to build out nuclear generation capacity as well. Add to this the fact that Russia has scored two major nuclear technology breakthroughs.

The first breakthrough was in bringing a fast breeder reactor online: the BN-800 has been in commercial use at Beloyarskaya AES since October of 2016. This is a type of reactor that makes its own fuel and then some from the extremely abundant but generally useless uranium 238. Everyone else who has tried to perfect this technology (the US, France and Japan) has failed and given up. It is a breakthrough because it solves two major problems: mitigating the shortage of naturally occurring uranium 235, and solving the problem of long-lifetime radioactive nuclear waste, which BN-type reactors can burn up until it is safe enough to bury.

The second breakthrough is in the introduction of the closed nuclear cycle. Those who obtain their nuclear fuel through contracts with Rosatom do not have to worry about what to do with spent fuel: after a cool-down period, Rosatom takes the fuel assemblies back for reprocessing. The spent fuel is ground up and the useful elements are extracted, enriched, recombined and used to make new fuel assemblies. With a steady stream of Western nukes being shut down and dismantled about to turn into a flood, simply paying Rosatom to take away the spent fuel provides a good solution where previously there was none, lowering the costs of decommissioning to something that national budgets can conceivably bear.

So, what is there to be done by Western propagandists confronting the situation of the West languishing with no good energy alternatives while Russia’s and China’s nuclear programs are speeding away from them? Why, of course, the choice is obvious: put out a pseudo-documentary based on the fantasy-fiction of a Nobel-prized Grade A Russophobe to smear both Russia and its nuclear industry! Honest competition is too old-fashioned. The new Western way to succeed (or to try but fail) is by knocking out your global competitors using whatever it takes: sanctions, fabrications, smear campaigns… nuclear horror flicks.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    VDG, personally, I think you and the conspiracy theorists are over thinking it.

Yes, Russia undoubtedly has a very competent nuclear industry now, but let’s face it they’ve had some mistakes to learn from.

The ‘West’ is gradually turning its back on nuclear and oil, there’s probably far more money and jobs to be made from renewables longer term anyway.

So why would two huge Western media companies collaborate and make a drama series about Chernobyl? Probably just because it’s based on an interesting real world story, a tragic one at that, and that’s what cinema/tv does, tells a story. I really don’t think it’s anything to do with trying to damage Russia’s reputation in this field, there would be other ways of doing that I’d have thought, and more effectively than a satellite TV mini series.

I can understand how some over sensitive souls would like to forget this stain on Russia’s past, but it happened and they should deal with it.

You spend a lot of time defending Russia from criticism, fair enough, but supporting such views as you’ve linked to is no better than what you complain about really.

And IF there is anything at all in what you believe, then some Russians are probably only annoyed they’re on the receiving end for a change. Russia isn’t averse to sticking its nose into foreign affairs via media, let’s be honest...

VDG did you enjoy it?

Or is it just an excuse to post all that?

VDG, you're living 40 years in the past. The general public in the western world have no visibilitiy of and couldn't care less about whether Russia or Western countries are best at building Nuclear Power plants. You may have noticed that the focus has shifted completely to renewable energy.

The Chernobyl disaster happened in a state that hasn't existed for 28 years. It is a stain on the USSR, not modern Russia / Ukraine.

HBO's motivation was to create a highly successful and profitable miniseries, and they've achieved that with flying colours. And it's very timely given recent political events in the West as it's clearly a warning of the potentially dire consequences when experts are ignored and politicians have free reign to lie unchallenged.

You say there is a conspiracy by the world nuclear organisation but they seem pretty complimentary here.

http://www.world-nuclear.org/informa...ear-power.aspx

I quote:

"Russia is a world leader in fast neutron reactor technology*and is consolidating this through its*Proryv('Breakthrough') project."
    Last edited by watchcollector1; 7th July 2019 at 09:15.

Journeyman
    The show is one of the best things I've seen on TV for a long time. Even though it probably has some inaccuracies, it still depicts the event with a brutal and shocking reality.

It is a good reminder to never underestimate the human ability to fuck up. :)

Post above needs editing for language.
    VDG, you get worse, not better.

Just watched this series, absolutely unbelievable, definitely worth a watch if you haven’t seen it.