closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Longines Big Eye Chrono

Longines Big Eye Chrono

How nice does this look?

I'm a fan - think I'll have to go and try one.

https://monochrome-watches.com/longi...nograph-price/

https://www.longines.com/novelties/t...gation-big-eye

Last edited by ped; 31st August 2017 at 08:39.

I like it! Actually, it looks like an almost certain 'to have'. Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by Wooster; 31st August 2017 at 16:16.

That is a stunner , very nice .

It is one of their best looking watches, ever IMHO and I'm loving the big pushers.

That is a really nice effort and the absence of an entirely inappropriate date window is a welcome change of direction.

That's really nice, I like the enlarged sub dial although some people will undoubtedly complain about the nibbled numerals, I think it makes it more distinctive. Nice size and movement too, especially for the money!

Master
    That's very nice.
    Is this a nice alternative to a Speedmaster for anybody looking for a £2.5 k ish chronograph, but wanting something a little different from the crowd?

Edit, resembles one of Sinn' chrono' IMO.
    Last edited by klunk; 31st August 2017 at 09:45.

very nice and more readable than my speedy

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Now that's going on my list.

Good size, very legible, tri-compax layout, no date and should be available for a reasonable price in time.

I like.

The all brushed case with the narrow polished bezel is quite something. Classy looking watch, that.

Master
    That's very nice indeedy - I've got the LLD on my wrist right now and think it might this one to got with it :0

Lovely. Longines are producing some cracking watches at the moment

What size is it?

Just checked 41mm good size

Sent from my HTC One using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Nuisance Value; 31st August 2017 at 11:31.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    That's really nice, I like the enlarged sub dial although some people will undoubtedly complain about the nibbled numerals, I think it makes it more distinctive. Nice size and movement too, especially for the money!
    Now I've seen the nibbled numbers, I can't unsee them...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Strchr03 View Post

Very clumsy imho

I was looking at it earlier. Not too big at 41mm. Does anyone know the thickness?

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    Very clumsy imho

Sent from my iPhoam using TZ-UK mobile app
    Clumsy makes it sounds inadvertent. If someone decides to design a dial with both numerals and an oversize subdial, then cutoff numerals are inevitable.

At which point personal preference comes into it. If you find cutoff numerals intolerable, then you're not going to like it. If you have no problem with cutoff numerals, then there's simply no issue.

This isn't accidental damage, just something you don't like.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Clumsy makes it sounds inadvertent. If someone decides to design a dial with both numerals and an oversize subdial, then cutoff numerals are inevitable.

At which point personal preference comes into it. If you find cutoff numerals intolerable, then you're not going to like it. If you have no problem with cutoff numerals, then there's simply no issue.

This isn't accidental damage, just something you don't like.
    Perhaps I was too polite!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    the absence of an entirely inappropriate date window is a welcome change of direction.
    Completely agree

Really like this longines.Does anyone know the UK price Yet? Prices quoted tend to be in euros/dollars ranging from 2300 to 2500...

Sent from my E6653 using TZ-UK mobile app

That is a beauty! Ticks a lot of boxes for me

Quote Originally Posted by amcneill View Post
    Really like this longines.Does anyone know the UK price Yet? Prices quoted tend to be in euros/dollars ranging from 2300 to 2500...

Its £1940 I think. Interestingly they also seem to be launching a new railroad pocket watch for £2k+. I saw it on their website earlier but now it's disappeared.

Thanks for the price.Thats pretty good to me,any more and the speedmaster makes a more obvious choice to me.Can't wait to try one on...wonder when they will be in the shops? I tried the website earlier today and it only showed a picture of the watch and clicking on details/discover didn't do anything.guess they are updating their site.

Last edited by amcneill; 31st August 2017 at 16:22.

It looks like they've tried to copy the cases from some of the 13ZN variations with the stepped regions (bezel?) around the glass. Shame they didn't have it on the monopushers with dials very similar to 13ZN variations too!

I like that a lot, although it is a tad busy. I especially like the 3-minute increments on the minutes register, although could be a bit confusing that it is lacking the usual 5 minute increments entirely. My reissue Strela has (like the original 3017, but not all the reissues), 3-minute markers for the first 9 minutes, then just the normal 5-minute markers the rest of the way round. Seems there are a couple of vintage chronos like that (such as this Breitling), but you don't see them too often. It really improves readability. Combined with the extra large register it should be a very practical if you really intend to time things with it.

Anyone know the specific 1930s model that this is supposedly a reissue of? Would be good to compare photos of the original with the new version.

According to this: http://www.gphg.org/horlogerie/en/wa...igation-bigeye, at 14.45mm it's a bit thick (for my taste), but I'll make an exception, as I like it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    I like that a lot, although it is a tad busy. I especially like the 3-minute increments on the minutes register, although could be a bit confusing that it is lacking the usual 5 minute increments entirely. My reissue Strela has (like the original 3017, but not all the reissues), 3-minute markers for the first 9 minutes, then just the normal 5-minute markers the rest of the way round. Seems there are a couple of vintage chronos like that (such as this Breitling), but you don't see them too often. It really improves readability. Combined with the extra large register it should be a very practical if you really intend to time things with it.

Anyone know the specific 1930s model that this is supposedly a reissue of? Would be good to compare photos of the original with the new version.
    I believe they made the 3 min intervals clearer due to market research, all those people using chronos to boil eggs and brew tea. Pilots probably use Apple Watches these days ;)

Craftsman
    I would!

Definitely a good alternate to the Speedmaster as mentioned.

Very nice, though I suspect five minute gradations on the minute sub-dial would have been more intuitive and less 'visually heavy'.

A good alternative to a Speedmaster Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon View Post
    Very nice, though I suspect five minute gradations on the minute sub-dial would have been more intuitive and less 'visually heavy'.
    The way they've done it definitely adds to the general busyness of the dial. If you look at that Breitling picture I posted above, they've done it quite differently - the 3-minute markers are elongated, but not thicker, so they don't add as much visual "weight". The 5-minute markers are not elongated, but they are slightly thicker (and numbered).

The Strela is also like that but I don't have a picture handy. It's done slightly better on the Breitling anyway. Not that there's anything wrong with the Strela, it's just has a lot more going on. The Strela dial is weird in that it's really busy, but if you look at it from a slight distance, all that detail kinda blurs into nothing and it looks like a plain 3-hand dress watch.

That's definitely not the case here. It's a distinctive feature though, so it's not necessarily a bad thing that it stands out. I'd have preferred if they made the other subdials a bit less cluttered though, which would give it a bit more contrast as a focal-point, rather than just another heavy thing on a generally busy dial.

In general I don't know why anyone bothers with numeric markers on a constant seconds subdial, since its main function is just to let you know that the watch is running. Mechanical watches aren't accurate to the second anyway. It's different for 3-hand centre-seconds, since in that case it's the only thing available for timing intervals, but on a chrono? That's what the chrono is for! The only exception is maybe if you're an astronaut and need to time a 10-second re-entry burn but can't operate the chrono buttons. Still not a very common use-case, but it's why you should always wear an accutron on your other wrist, just in case.
    Last edited by robt; 31st August 2017 at 22:55. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
    According to this: http://www.gphg.org/horlogerie/en/wa...igation-bigeye, at 14.45mm it's a bit thick (for my taste), but I'll make an exception, as I like it a lot.
    The column wheel movement will be the big reason it's so deep, they are not slim but you get the added benefit of a movement that in most other manufacturers would command a few thousand premium. It is a complex and expensive to produce but regarded as better than the cam and lever system often used now, by Omega in the Speedmaster for one (they used to be column wheels but changed in the late Sixties)

By better I mean 'higher end' The pros and cons of column wheels vs cam and levers here;

http://www.woundforlife.com/2014/08/...-chronographs/

Longines also use it in the 1967 diver (also a big eye) and I think in the 1973 Heritage cushion case watch. For a sub £2k chronograph with a top end movement from a historic brand like Longines, I'm willing to forgive the depth of case also.

Great piece about the movement here

http://raulhorology.com/2013/03/the-...alibre-l688-2/

I get a very breguet vibe of this, which is good!

Overall looks a really decent effort. Expensive for a '7750' based movement but kinda expected in this market

Wow wow wow. Love it! Great size and a chrono registering hours as well as just 30 minutes. Would have to try one on to gauge the ratio of width to thickness to see if it's to my taste.

Really like that, will be looking out for them.

Master
    Nice watch and Longines seem intent on including a traditional chronograph in every shape and size in their range. As well as the new one at 41mm they also have:-

42mm, Longines Watch Heritage Military 1938 L2.790.4.53.0 (£1720)

39 mm Longines Watch Heritage L2.733.4.52.0 (£2160)

41mm Longines Watch Heritage 1951 Mens L2.745.4.53.4 (£1280)

40mm Longines Watch Heritage 1954 Mens L2.747.4.52.4 (£1280)

(Prices are RRP from Jura Watches)

All of them are black-dialled with variations in the number and size od the sub-dials. The new one is pretty enough but not really breaking new ground for Longines and you could even add more as there are a couple of dial variations I haven't mentioned.

30m WR - it's a no from me
    D

Craftsman
    at this price I would prefer the speedmaster

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    30m WR - it's a no from me
    D
    FFS - not another one.

Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    FFS - not another one.
    I know, really, really stupid.

It is a really attractive looking watch and they have even managed to avoid smashing a date window into exactly the wrong place on the dial.
    But 30m? The watch companies themselves tell us we are not allowed to wash up with that WR, and anyone seems to be able to make a 100m WR watch now.
    So why remove this from the realm of sensible everyday watch with such a pathetic WR??
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Strchr03 View Post
    Yes, spoils an otherwise great design for me.

M.

They are really getting back on it, some great pieces coming out at the moment.

Craftsman
    Oooh that looks nice !!

Sent from my VFD 900 using TZ-UK mobile app

Truncated numerals are a total design fail for me.

Master
    That does look very nice. Key for me will be the execution of the hands, which is often a source of disappointment for me on these vintage-inspired military-focussed watches.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    That does look very nice. Key for me will be the execution of the hands, which is often a source of disappointment for me on these vintage-inspired military-focussed watches.
    Agree. It's more than anything else what makes my Mark XV Pilot such a great watch.

What I see is a 3-registre Breguet where they didn't have the ba**s to modify the minute counter to only do 15min, why the minute counter is too busy. But in other aspects I think it is a good looking chronograph where Longines didn't screw it up by adding a date window or increase the size to eg. 43.

But just like the Zenith CP2 re-edition I can't stop wondering how much nicer these watches would be if they were offered in manual versions:

• it would remove the "automatic" on the dial, which in most cases do more harm than good to the dial design.
    • further reduce the hight of the movement and thereby allow for a thinner watch.
    • let the owner wind the watch each day - why deprive yourself from that nice routine?

/L

Quote Originally Posted by longbear View Post
    What I see is a 3-registre Breguet where they didn't have the ba**s to modify the minute counter to only do 15min, why the minute counter is too busy. But in other aspects I think it is a good looking chronograph where Longines didn't screw it up by adding a date window or increase the size to eg. 43.

But just like the Zenith CP2 re-edition I can't stop wondering how much nicer these watches would be if they were offered in manual versions:

• it would remove the "automatic" on the dial, which in most cases do more harm than good to the dial design.
    • further reduce the hight of the movement and thereby allow for a thinner watch.
    • let the owner wind the watch each day - why deprive yourself from that nice routine?

/L
    Whilst I would also prefer manual wind and thinner, that would be a different ball game in terms of R+D and I'm sure twice the price.

Grand Master
    Nice watch, shame it isn't a couple of mm smaller. This will wear big IMO with the slim bezel.

Strap's horrible, can't stand these faux scruffy things........bin it and put something black in its place.

Paul

The mismatched subdial sizes also throws off the balance of the dial, poor effort.

Quote Originally Posted by futon river crossing View Post
    The mismatched subdial sizes also throws off the balance of the dial, poor effort.
    The whole point of the design is that the minutes subdial is bigger than the others. It's not a "poor effort", it's just you don't like it.