closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bezel help.

Bezel help.

One of my favourite summer watches is this PRS3-LE but I find the bezel just a bit meh, ideally I'd be able to simply buy an alternative bezel however to the best of my knowledge the manufacturer has retired, so I wonder how easy a replacement bezel insert might be to fit and how to get the size right, how to remove the current insert and fit the new one.
    Something like these Seiko bezel inserts are what I have in mind, and yes I could simply buy a Seiko but the PRS3 is a favourite.
    Any help / suggestions are really welcome.

This sort of thing,,
    Last edited by number2; 20th June 2019 at 11:23.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Most inserts clip in to the bezel ring and it’s easier to push them out from the rear side. So I would take the bezel off. (Watch out for the spring obviously)
    I would then measure the insert with callipers and then try the usual suspects to see if they have something that fits. (Yobokies, dagaz etc)
    I have had limited success in fettling and insert to fit but it is never a perfect job.
    Trying to find inserts has stumped me more than once. I am currently looking for a scuba pro 500 insert. They are like unicorn poop

If you manage to randomly buy a watch, remove the bezel and insert it on this watch and it actually fits then you can consider yourself lucky.

There isn't a standard as far as dimensions and designs goes (talking about the design of the inside of the bezel) so therefore it would be a complicated thing to achieve.

If you had a box full of dozens or maybe hundreds of bezels, then that might work, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Guy's I understand that getting a bezel to fit is nigh on impossible (I've tried) which is why I'm asking for advice regarding replacing the 'bezel insert',

The bezel insert on the PRS-3LE isn't the standard Seiko type of "click in" fitment, it actually sits in a trench machined into the bezel as can be seen from the drawing below.

What this means is there's not much margin for variance in the inner, outer and depth dimensions of any insert you'd like to fit, it also means removing the old one could be problematical in as much as it could suffer damage during removal so changing it could be a one way street.

The second point is there are no dimensions for the insert available on the drawings available on Timefactors webpages (see below) so for guidance you'd have to hope someone has done exactly the same insert swap that you want to do and has a record of the inserts measurements.

Alternatively you can measure the inner and outer dimensions of the insert on your watch, estimate the insert depth, then trawl the web for the actual dimensions of various inserts you like the look of and see what comes closest.

Sorry I can't be of any constructive help!

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    The bezel insert on the PRS-3LE isn't the standard Seiko type of "click in" fitment, it actually sits in a trench machined into the bezel as can be seen from the drawing below.

What this means is there's not much margin for variance in the inner, outer and depth dimensions of any insert you'd like to fit, it also means removing the old one could be problematical in as much as it could suffer damage during removal so changing it could be a one way street.

The second point is there are no dimensions for the insert available on the drawings available on Timefactors webpages (see below) so for guidance you'd have to hope someone has done exactly the same insert swap that you want to do and has a record of the inserts measurements.

Alternatively you can measure the inner and outer dimensions of the insert on your watch, estimate the insert depth, then trawl the web for the actual dimensions of various inserts you like the look of and see what comes closest.

Sorry I can't be of any constructive help!
    I appreciate your input, indeed I'd already looked at the drawings on the TF website which ultimately prompted this thread, boohoo

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Guy's I understand that getting a bezel to fit is nigh on impossible (I've tried) which is why I'm asking for advice regarding replacing the 'bezel insert',
    Yep fully understood what you were asking hence the answer regarding the inserts
    🙄

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Yep fully understood what you were asking hence the answer regarding the inserts
    Sounds like we're both stumped