closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Watch Day!

New Watch Day!

Not for me, but for my wife. Some may remember my sell off of a number of my pieces earlier this year due to my time in employment limbo putting more strain on my finances than I was happy with.

6 months on from the sales and I'm back in regular employment as a consultant. Bloody relief I can tell you.

My wife has a good job and kept us both afloat during my redundancy. She did nothing but keep my spirits up and supported me without judgement.

So I promised myself I'd get her something special once work started again, and the timing has coincided with her Bday. Given I broadly consider myself a Rolex fan, there was only one choice.

I quietly arranged this with my friend in our local dealer. My wife came in on the pretence that my friend hadn't seen her in ages and wanted to, "go away while we catch up, simon", "oh you really must see what just came in", I gave it 15 mins and once she was admiring it on her wrist I came over and said "happy birthday".

Total shock, in a good way, cue champagne.

Don't get me wrong, I did it a little for me too. I don't feel like a useless burden anymore.

So she's now wearing a SS ladies datejust, with Jubilee, and Dark Grey Roman Dial.

Love ya wifey.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Lovely story and looks great on her. Next she'll be into watches too and start building up her collection! Tasteful watch, she could have gone two tone DJ36 with mother of pearl dial and diamonds ha!

Master
    That's put a smile on my face, lovely to read. How were you sure the model you'd picked out was the one??

Craftsman
    Very nice, love the dial colour. Nicely set up surprise too

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    That's put a smile on my face, lovely to read. How were you sure the model you'd picked out was the one??
    It actually ended up not being the one

I'd had them get in the baton dial version of this same watch after her admiring the white gold bezel version about 18 months ago.

They just happened to have the roman dial in, in the same dial colour with jubilee, and when both were put in front of her, she wanted to try on the roman version. Then she kept it on and didn't look at the baton dial twice.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Lovely story and looks great on her. Next she'll be into watches too and start building up her collection! Tasteful watch, she could have gone two tone DJ36 with mother of pearl dial and diamonds ha!
    She wouldn't have got a watch at all in that case. I'd have felt I let her down by not teaching her better ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Reiver View Post
    Very nice, love the dial colour. Nicely set up surprise too
    It had been in the works for a couple months with my buddy at the shop, even then we nearly fluffed it. keeping a straight face and all that.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tekbow View Post
    It actually ended up not being the one

I'd had them get in the baton dial version of this same watch after her admiring the white gold bezel version about 18 months ago.

They just happened to have the roman dial in, in the same dial colour with jubilee, and when both were put in front of her, she wanted to try on the roman version. Then she kept it on and didn't look at the baton dial twice.

I generally prefer baton but I really like the one she went for.

I prefer baton too, roman dials don't have luminous hands, but that what she preferred.

I have to say, its growing on me though.

Master
    That's a heartwarming story, well done that man!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Thats a lovely story, and a great gift!
    Its good to do something for those we love. Particularly when it coincides with a hobby WE love ;-)

Master
    Not for me, but for my wife. Some may remember my sell off of a number of my pieces earlier this year due to my time in employment limbo putting more strain on my finances than I was happy with.

6 months on from the sales and I'm back in regular employment as a consultant. Bloody relief I can tell you.

My wife has a good job and kept us both afloat during my redundancy. She did nothing but keep my spirits up and supported me without judgement.

So I promised myself I'd get her something special once work started again, and the timing has coincided with her Bday. Given I broadly consider myself a Rolex fan, there was only one choice.

I quietly arranged this with my friend in our local dealer. My wife came in on the pretence that my friend hadn't seen her in ages and wanted to, "go away while we catch up, simon", "oh you really must see what just came in", I gave it 15 mins and once she was admiring it on her wrist I came over and said "happy birthday".

Don't get me wrong, I did it a little for me too. I don't feel like a useless burden anymore.

So she's now wearing a SS ladies datejust, with Jubilee, and Dark Grey Roman Dial.

Love ya wifey.

Congratulations on your new job & happy birthday to your wife.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Thats a lovely story, and a great gift!
    Its good to do something for those we love. Particularly when it coincides with a hobby WE love ;-)
    Coincidentally, she got this the day before a new guitar amplifier turned up.

Weird eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    Congratulations on your new job & happy birthday to your wife.
    Cheers Speedy, there was a while I thought I wasn't gona get back in..

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    That's a heartwarming story, well done that man!
    Thanks Itsguy!

Brilliant - love that, well done.

My wife is 50 in February and been wanting to get her a Rolex too and have the dilemma of picking or taking her - I think I know what to do now!

Love ya wifey.
    Looks great, my wife wears the same model DJ (31mm I think) except w/ white dial and Oyster bracelet.

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Brilliant - love that, well done.

My wife is 50 in February and been wanting to get her a Rolex too and have the dilemma of picking or taking her - I think I know what to do now!
    Glad I could be a provider of ideas ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    Looks great, my wife wears the same model DJ (31mm I think) except w/ white dial and Oyster bracelet.
    I was looking at the 31mm, but my wife's wrist are just so tiny

Journeyman
    What a brilliant story, very well done OP. I wish you both the very best of luck for the future.

Craftsman
    Super story, congrats!

Journeyman
    if you ever hit hard times financially again your mrs can get a 2nd job as a hand model!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Can't beat collection day! Enjoy!

Lucky lady. Congratulations and happy bday.

Thanks everyone :) she's super happy, and if she's happy, I'm happy

Master
    I recently passed an unwelcome anniversary a few months ago, marking 10 years since I was laid off (in an extremely offhand and shoddy manner) from a job that I genuinely loved and was extremely committed to. My (pregnant) wife was immensely supportive at the time and it took me one (difficult, tiring and stressful) year to get back on my feet and find something else. We cannot underestimate the toll redundancy takes on mental health, and I have nothing but sympathy for anyone dealing with such a difficult situation. Family and friends are invaluable at times like these; you really need to have a team in your corner to support you and keep you upbeat and that's sometimes a hard job in itself. Sounds like the OP has enjoyed a great deal of that support and his gesture is generous and certainly fitting. Props to him and glad to hear the landscape is now looking a lot rosier...

SGR

Quote Originally Posted by StuartGR View Post
    I recently passed an unwelcome anniversary a few months ago, marking 10 years since I was laid off (in an extremely offhand and shoddy manner) from a job that I genuinely loved and was extremely committed to. My (pregnant) wife was immensely supportive at the time and it took me one (difficult, tiring and stressful) year to get back on my feet and find something else. We cannot underestimate the toll redundancy takes on mental health, and I have nothing but sympathy for anyone dealing with such a difficult situation. Family and friends are invaluable at times like these; you really need to have a team in your corner to support you and keep you upbeat and that's sometimes a hard job in itself. Sounds like the OP has enjoyed a great deal of that support and his gesture is generous and certainly fitting. Props to him and glad to hear the landscape is now looking a lot rosier...

SGR
    Stuart, you're not wrong.

Took me the better part of 3 years to get back in, all the while getting rejected for job after job in "normal" industries because of the industry I was previously (and again currently) in.

Its soul destroying.

Last edited by tekbow; 23rd June 2019 at 07:23.

Blog Entries
    My wife’s tissot’s battery ran out. I had been looking around for a while and ended up getting her a TT ladies DJ gold and steel on jubilee. She wears it everyday and constantly. She has been a great support to me over the years. I guess she must want to stay as we’ve been together for 27 years.

Great story OP. The watch looks great with those multi coloured nails!!

Martyn.

Master
    What a thoroughly lovely gesture, you are a nice, thoughtful husband.

Lovely story, and congratulations on your new employment. My wife likes my watches and is always encouraging, but she has no interest remotely in one for herself. I'd like to think that if I could manage to get her into trying one on like you bought, her mind would change. Still smiling from your story!

- - - Updated - - -

Lovely story, and congratulations on your new employment. My wife likes my watches and is always encouraging, but she has no interest remotely in one for herself. I'd like to think that if I could manage to get her into trying one on like you bought, her mind would change. Still smiling from your story!