closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Import duties advice - Phoibos Watches

Import duties advice - Phoibos Watches

Hello all,

I have not posted much on here since joining but looking for some collective wisdom/ advice if possible. In particular, looking to hear from anyone who has purchased a Phoibos watch from HK.

I have just ordered the new Great Wall and paid extra £25 for DHL tracked shipping. I also know, and accept (to a degree), that import duties need to be paid. Watch cost just over £420. I now received a shipping notification from FedEx demanding £253 in "taxes and duties". What? Nearly 50% of the value of the watch?

I seem pretty screwed here at the mo because FedEx are saying I cannot reject without valid reason and either the fees must be paid to them and claimed back from HMRC.
    HMRC are say that the reason for the charge is bring the value in line with what the watch would cost in the EU for the sake of fair competition? But I cannot get this type of watch in the UK?

Aside from my annoyance at feeling ripped off by HMRC, I also have the issue that I paid for DHL shipping and got something else. I will take this up with Phoibos but at the moment I don't know what to do.

I know import charges have been discussed before but looking especially for anyone who has bought a Phoibos and what they had to pay.

I would really appreciate some sound advice on this. Again, I not complaining that I need to pay duty, it's the amount. I have bought watches before from HK, similar purchase price and paid only around £80.

If this is indeed what I need to pay, it will think twice about any more purchases like this. This is a birthday gift from my wife and it has certainly taken the enjoyment and anticipation out of it.

Cheers, Jeremy

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Yes, figure should be about £80 (20% VAT on watch and shipping/insurance) plus their handling fee (about £10).

Any variation more likely down to choice of shipper rather than watch brand.

Ask to see the HM Customs Bill. I suspect it's a simple mistake as they can't apply random fees based on 'What it might be worth in the UK'. It's 20% tax on the purchase cost and then the FedEx admin bill on top, which, as already said, is usually about £10-20.

Unless the seller has stated a false value on the package and Customs have opened it and decided the stated value is BS?

Are you sure it's not a scam? How were you notified?

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Ask to see the HM Customs Bill. I suspect it's a simple mistake as they can't apply random fees based on 'What it might be worth in the UK'. It's 20% tax on the purchase cost and then the FedEx admin bill on top, which, as already said, is usually about £10-20.

Unless the seller has stated a false value on the package and Customs have opened it and decided the stated value is BS?

Are you sure it's not a scam? How were you notified?
    Thanks for this. My feeling is about what you guys are quoting and i would be happy with this.
    Didn't know I could ask for Customs Bill so I will def do that.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The bit I am really struggling to get my head around is HMRC leving a tax "to bring it up to the value of what it would be in the EU"
    How does the UK tax office o ow how much an item can be manufactured for?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk