closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Best Man Speech - advice on one sentance..... :/

Journeyman

Lightbulb Best Man Speech - advice on one sentance..... :/

Hi all,

I've written the speech, practised, and have gone with the standard outline - funny, but nothing offensive, family friendly etc.

When I was doing my 'research' a few of the bride's friends and family told me that, when she was younger, she was always saying how she "won't be getting married" "doesn't ever want to" etc.'. I thought that because this was one of the things people remember of her, it would be good material. This is how I've worded it:

"Friends tell me that before Mark met Sarah she may have been rather adamant she didn't quite fancy the idea of getting married; and may have mentioned this once of twice... So I think we'd all like to thank Sarah for changing her mind, so we could be here for this wonderful day, and also take the opportunity to congratulate Mark on being the person to do that"

The golden rule is don't offend the bride (or make her feel awkward) so do you think this is ok? It's the only element of the speech I'm slightly questioning - so would appreciate any of your thoughts!!

Apprentice
    Why are you worried? Nothing there to cause offence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Can't see anything offensive about that, hope the day goes well for all concerned

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    No issue at all with that

People are on your side…

I always had the ‘grandmother’ in mind on my two gigs…. But, you also have to be a little risqué…. It’s expected and people want to laugh

I only got booed once…. When I said “I think we can all agree that the make up artist and her handy make up trowel has done a wonderful job on the bride and bridesmaids “…. She was pretty, so, I could get away with it!

Maybe something along the lines of “what exactly have you got on her Mark???”
    Last edited by Wolfie; 19th June 2019 at 21:41.

"Friends tell me that before Sarah met Mark, she was adamant she didn't fancy the idea of marriage and may have mentioned this once or twice... So I think we all should thank Sarah for changing her mind, so we could be here for this wonderful day, and also take the opportunity to congratulate Mark for being the person to convince her to say 'yes'."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    "Friends tell me that before Sarah met Mark, she was adamant she didn't fancy the idea of marriage and may have mentioned this once or twice... So I think we all should thank Sarah for changing her mind, so we could be here for this wonderful day, and also take the opportunity to congratulate Mark for being the person to convince her to say 'yes'."

I think this sounds good. Would only break the last sentence in two, to make it easier to deliver.

“So I think we all should thank Sarah for changing her mind, so we could be here for this wonderful day.
    And also take the opportunity to congratulate Mark for being the person to convince her to say 'yes'. “

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    "Friends tell me that before Sarah met Mark, she was adamant she didn't fancy the idea of marriage and may have mentioned this once or twice... So I think we all should thank Sarah for changing her mind, so we could be here for this wonderful day, and also take the opportunity to congratulate Mark for being the person to convince her to say 'yes' and let him fiddle with her box."
    If you go with this one you’ll be a legend and deffo get some on the night

Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Think your line and style to be fine. All positive.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    If you go with this one you’ll be a legend and deffo get some on the night

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^best men’s speeches can be both cringeworthy and boring. Yours has all the hallmarks of being sincere and well thought through. Go with The abbreviated version! thank the bridesmaids and sit down. The guests aren’t there to listen to you, at that time all they want more drinks!

Have a great day

"Friends tell me that before Sarah met Mark, she was adamant she didn't fancy the idea of marriage and may have mentioned this once or twice... So I think we all should* offer well deserved congratulations to Mark for being the person to convince her to say 'yes'.

*thank Sarah for changing her mind, so we could be here for this wonderful day, and also take the opportunity to

*this bit is just waffle (no offence!)
    Last edited by Geralt; 20th June 2019 at 08:43.

My general advice is memorise the parts where the wording is important (any gags for example). Other than that, try to go off bullet points. It will come off much more natural that way and you don't risk getting stuck if you lose your place.

Only other advice is to take your time. People tend to rush through it if they're not used to speaking in public.

Journeyman
    Thanks for all your comments. They were much appreciated.

The speech went well, and the line was fine (I did change to the above though). I'm just glad I practised it all a fair few times!

Thanks again.