closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: chernobyl tour, anybody done it??

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Just an update on this thread if anyone can help.

Flying to Kiev on 17th February for 4 nights ...can anyone recommend a decent hotel near the centre.

Thanks
    11 Mirrors: a small boutique owned by Wladimir Klitschko the boxer dude, perfect central location and just a bit more homely than the chains. My go-to when visiting family there.

Which tour company did you use

Thanks
    I'll dig the details out and drop you a pm later on

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Just an update on this thread if anyone can help.

Flying to Kiev on 17th February for 4 nights ...can anyone recommend a decent hotel near the centre.

Thanks
    I've also heard Kiev is a quality night out if you're know where you're going.

Apprentice
    I've been 3 times now. A 2-day tour, a standard 1-day tour and then a 1-day tour with some special access to climb Duga-3 and the roof of reactor 5.

It's not romanticized at all, you'll see a video during the drive about the disaster unfolding and then be taken to a few places in the zone and hear stories about the sudden evacuation. I'd highly recommend a trip there.

Master
    Went yesterday and will post a review and pictures when back in UK

Craftsman
    Was hoping to get out there in Marh but can't make it now.

Re-planning for Sept / October.

Flights to Kyiv Friday - Monday from Manc can be had for about £100. Hotels in Kyiv are plentiful and cheap and a two day tour with over night in Chernobyl looks like great fun.

Really looking forward to it.

Master
    Just an update as did the tour on Wednesday with Solo East(other companies are available)

Arriving at the check point it is clear that there may still be a problem with radiation as the exclusion zone is 30k.

The site of the accident which is now encased in a new structure which has only recently been finished.

The town of Pripyat which was completely evacuated and will remain forever a ghost town.

The most iconic image of the ferris wheel...the amusement park which never opened before the evacuation.

The so called Bridge of Death where it was rumoured some towns folk came to watch the reactor on fire...only a few hundred yards from the site.

And finally after a very long day you need a pint and a pizza in a friendly pub.

Hope that for anyone interested in going this will give you a taste...well worth it.
    Last edited by mjc1216; 22nd February 2020 at 17:41. Reason: Additional Photo

Did the beer glow in the dark ?