closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Can someone please give me there verdict.

Can someone please give me there verdict.

Hi Guys,
    Those of you that saw my last post will know i am mad for one of these watches.http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... tegory=290
    Can someone please tell me if it is worth the money as it has been 'issued' or not, as they are onlt £299.00 brand new.
    Cheers guys. :?

Well personally, I think this is bollocks but then that's only my opinion.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

DELETED

Journeyman
    Just an alternate opinion, I've purchased several thousand dollars of stuff on eBay over the last few years, and saved several thousand dollars as a result.

I purchase lots of computer items for my business, SCSI controller cards for $15 that would cost me a few hundred new, I picked up some off lease IBM servers for $100 each, cost new $5000. I got a 25 year old camera for $30, normally costs $200 [used]

I've purchased 2 swatch watches - work fine.

I have no idea how safe it is buying expensive watches.

You do have to be carefull, it's easy to spend too much, a local camera store sells on eBay, and routinely starts the bidding on items they have in their store [and also their on line site] less than the normal price, but bidders get frenzied and drive the price up higher, convinced they are getting a bargain.

You have to do your homework and be carefull, I have been ripped off a few times. My experience is that eBay and my credit card company will do nothing despite their promises. However, PayPal has refunded me for items not delivered. So I'm out about $160 for bad deals, but saved many thousands.

But the worst rip off was a well known company that took me and many thousands of other people, delivered non-working goods, accepted returns, and no refunds. http://members.tripod.com/b_Radcliffe/h ... rvice.html

I'm certainly not saying that all eBay deals are bad because I've conducted over a thousand good deals as buyer and seller. What I did say however, is that these fanciful descriptions of watches attributed to Special Services are suspicious and cannot be verified.

I know for a fact that a member of the SAS is wearing a PRS-4 quartz, shall I now advertise this as an official SAS watch? I don't think so.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Ebay seems to be a good place to buy Seikos from the Singapore/Hong Kong guys. I got a perpetual calendar from Singapore for £67. Cheapest price I could find in the Uk was £150.

Grand Master
    Beat me to it, and at an ungodly hour to boot ... :wink:

Bottom line is:
    - if you want this particular watch (which is not issue), buy it from a dealer like chronomaster that has a good reputation
    - if you want a PVD mil-spec that has actually better specs, but is not identical to the issued watches, go for Eddie's PRS-3

Crusader
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    Beat me to it, and at an ungodly hour to boot ... :wink:

Bottom line is:
    - if you want this particular watch (which is not issue), buy it from a dealer like chronomaster that has a good reputation
    - if you want a PVD mil-spec that has actually better specs, but is not identical to the issued watches, go for Eddie's PRS-3

Crusader
    Couldn't put it better myself. (Yes I can. Go for PRS-11) 8)

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Just viewed the ad on ebay, what a larf! The bloke in the pic needs to cover his face so you can't see how much he's p***ing himself with laughter. When I go to work on Friday I intend to don my firekit , a B.A. set , grab a bit of kit off a fire appliance , pull back my sleeve to reveal my G10, and have a posy type pic taken. I shall then post said pic on ebay and sit back and watch the bidding spiral out of control. I may retire on the strength of the sale! I just need a few Fire Service anoraks who like watches and that's me sorted. Seriously Soft Verge , take the advice and buy a proper one. MAGIRUS.
    F.T.F.A.

if you want this particular watch (which is not issue),
    Hi Crusader

Agreed re the example shown in the Ebay auction, but not true for all examples. Limited numbers of these have been issued and are held in MOD stores. Some have even managed to escape :wink:

Cheers

Foggy

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy
    if you want this particular watch (which is not issue),
    Hi Crusader

Agreed re the example shown in the Ebay auction, but not true for all examples. Limited numbers of these have been issued and are held in MOD stores. Some have even managed to escape :wink:

Cheers

Foggy
    My apologies for the misunderstanding - I did not mean to imply that this model had never been issued, only that the particular watch on eBay had not been, and that un-issued examples like it can be found quite easily.

Crusader
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Craftsman
    that picture is a riot!!! :pukeright:

Craftsman
    I agree with Eddie and he is quite right the description on that auction is complete B*llox... If you are serving in a special operations unit you'd wear a sterile watch not a watch that would advertise either your unit or nationality... and would you really have a photograph taken of you so obviously wearing the watch... Then write a letter authenticating the watch...

Ebay is turning into a real shark pool...
    Mike

that picture is a riot!!!
    ?????????????????? :? :? :? :?

Cheers

Foggy

Some quotes from currently/recently serving British Military personnel

A new Stores CD has been issued listing every item available to the British armed forces. The only Six watches listed are the Rolex Seadweller (SPAG Only) No target Price refer to SIB if reported lost: Omega Seamaster (Special Duties) diver watch Target Price £250: the CWC G10 (Special Duties Diver Watch) thats the black "SBS" model Target Price £95: the CWC G10 Diver watch Target Price £50: the CWC G10 Navigator new type Target Price £13.50: and the Seiko Aircrew Chronograph Target Price £45. These are the only official issue watches now listed.

Of course there are other types but these are all older models issued on a temporary basis to fill the shortfall of the types approved for issue. Target Prices are the sums that units are required to claim back from servicemen who have lost issue watches, they are in general 5% higher than the contract price which the MOD for the watch.
    And

Hi the standard SBS watch is the standard CWC G10 diver, although most now have the Omega SEamaster Pro's 300 in quartz (replacement for the Rolex Submariners which went home with those who already had them).
    The Black case CWC "SBS" is also issued on a more limited basis. SAS use what the SBS use.
    The standard G10 watch by CWC is standard pretty much everywhere.
    And

Someone recently sent me an email asking for the number and batch numbers of the new Omega seamaster recently issued as a limited issue to the SAB and SAS boat troops etc.
    Well as yes I dont have this information but a phone call to my mate at Thatcham did reveal some interesting info.
    There are some 23,264 G10 CWC watches on issue to the three services and held in store. Of these the earliest date of delivery still in service is 1982 and the latest 2002. There are some 300 (approx) CWC G10 without the battery hatch and Lumbrite instead of Tritium, however these are not within the joint services system being held by the RAF (thatcham is responsible for overseeing repairs though).
    1000 Pulsar G10 watches remain unissued alongside 125 Seiko G10/6B watches, those Pulsars already issued (approximately 500) have been written off.
    Seiko aircrew chrono account for some 576 on issue or held in store, but these are controlled by the RAF stores (Possibly RAF St Athan ??)
    There are 73 MWC watches still held with no end user lined up and these are earmarked for overseas military aid (Afganistan is this months flavour)
    210 CWC "SBS" watches are held by units and in central store and a further 4600 CWC dive watches (300 of which are automatic). Rolex numbers held by units are down to half a dozen, all others having been written off and no longer accountable. Deliveries of Omega Seamaster 300 quartz seem to be in the region of 125 thus far, with no difference between these and civillian models, MOD will undertake all modifications (wonder what they will do with bracelets?.
    Odds and sods still held include a few Speedmaster moon watches at the EPTS, some Longines dress watches, a ladies solid gold Rolex set with diamonds! and 23 Avia Polar star dive watches used as a training aid.
    Cheers

Foggy

DELETED

What does SPAG mean ?
    A quick google search has shown this to be the most likely meaning - Submarine Parachute Assistance Group.

Cheers

Foggy

DELETED

Quote Originally Posted by new scuba
    Another quick question, can serving members of the forces buy those watches at those prices quoted?
    I think you have to "lose" them.

I think you have to "lose" them
    Agreed, and I don't think it would be wise to lose too many or you'd find yourself on a charge :shock:

Cheers

Foggy

DELETED

Craftsman
    Agreed, and I don't think it would be wise to lose too many or you'd find yourself on a charge :shock:

Cheers

Foggy
    On a humorous side-note; my fellow agents and I are scheduled to get new credentials & badges soon, as our agency's name has changed....we received an email recently telling us that due to a large upsurge in reports of lost and stolen badges, any new reports of lost or stolen badges will be thoroughly investigated.. it seems that more than a few want to keep their "souvenirs". :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuy

Cheers

Foggy
    On a humorous side-note; my fellow agents and I are scheduled to get new credentials & badges soon, as our agency's name has changed....we received an email recently telling us that due to a large upsurge in reports of lost and stolen badges, any new reports of lost or stolen badges will be thoroughly investigated.. it seems that more than a few want to keep their "souvenirs". :roll:
    I tried to lose my line badge when I left the Air Force. They were very thourogh in makeing sure all ID was turned in. The only military ID I think I still have somewhere is my goverment drivers license.

DELETED

Craftsman
    They did say we could receive our old badge back encased in lucite, although I am quite sure that will NOT be at the government expense! would be a nice keepsake, though as the badges are fairly attractive. 8)

No we are not allowed to buy anything from the RAF. dont know about the other services, but I would imagine it is the same policy. To loose watches is not that popular with your superiors as everything has to be accounted for and logged and with the ever present tightening of the public purse you can understand why.
    Regards
    Nimrod

Journeyman
    Thanks to a post from endure endure earlier, I just went and won two watches on eBay from a guy in Singapore. Depite my positive post about eBay, I would never have dealt with Singapore, but his prices were good, and his feedback excellant.

The funny thing is that one of the watches I bid on by mistake [hope I like it - but the price is so low, I could resell and make a profit], and the other one, someone outbid me, but refused to close the deal, and I got offered the watch at my original lower bid.

That picture!!

I must admit I gave up soldiering a good few years ago now, (early 90's), and spent much of that time running around or parachuting onto Salisbury plain.. and not swimming I confess.

However I can't imagine even our friends in the Royal Navy, (no offence!) would wear a nylon DPM waterproof with breathing apparatus and goggles!!!..

Last time I checked, DPM was used on land and watersports are undertaken in black wet/dry suits depending on the conditions.

Unless of course this guy was on an OP in a kelp forest! :D

A case of very advanced Muppetry by the seller.

Cheers

Grand Master

Re: That picture!!

Quote Originally Posted by r1ch
    I must admit I gave up soldiering a good few years ago now, (early 90's), and spent much of that time running around or parachuting onto Salisbury plain.. and not swimming I confess.

However I can't imagine even our friends in the Royal Navy, (no offence!) would wear a nylon DPM waterproof with breathing apparatus and goggles!!!..

Last time I checked, DPM was used on land and watersports are undertaken in black wet/dry suits depending on the conditions.

Unless of course this guy was on an OP in a kelp forest! :D

A case of very advanced Muppetry by the seller.

Cheers
    O.K. r1ch, learning time for me here:

Salisbury Plain - major military training area ?
    DPM - :?:
    OP - :?:

Thanks! :wink:

Crusader
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

DELETED

Hi Crusader..

DPM - "Disruptive Pattern Material" - (combat-camo stuff basically)
    OP - "Observation Post"
    Salisbury Plain - A large MOD exercise area towards the S/W of England near the town of Salisbury. Can be pretty bleak as many Brit ex-mil types on here will testify!!

Best to you.

Rgds

Richard.

Grand Master
    Thanks Jason and r1ch!

Decided to pass on the observation post in the kelp field ... did I mention that I am into aviation things? I have found it a much more comfy way to get from A to B than either walking or swimming ... :wink:

Crusader
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

did I mention that I am into aviation things? I have found it a much more comfy way to get from A to B than either walking or swimming ... :wink:

Crusader
    In the 12th c? What do you use catapults? Gives 'launch' a new meaning ...

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    did I mention that I am into aviation things? I have found it a much more comfy way to get from A to B than either walking or swimming ... :wink:

Crusader
    In the 12th c? What do you use catapults? Gives 'launch' a new meaning ...

john
    Not in the 12th century, obviously, but now that I am old ...

As for the 12th century, may I refer you to my recent post:

Errr, you'll have to look somewhere else, I was just speaking figuratively... the only real bridles I am familiar with are those on our chargers and palfreys. :wink:

Crusader
    Crusader
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")