closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Driving to Porsche Museum stuttgart

Craftsman

Driving to Porsche Museum stuttgart

So the other-half has surprised me for my B’day and said we’re driving to Stuttgart for a trip to the Porsche museum, via France (there) and Cologne (return).

Plan is as follows:
    - Friday - drive to Folkestone (am) and grab the Eurotunnel. Drive from Calais to Reims for champagne tasting and a night in a swanky hotel
    - Saturday - Drive to Stuttgart 4.5hrs mid-afternoon, beers, food etc...
    - Sunday - visit Porsche museum, sight seeing, food etc...
    - Monday - visit Porsche factory (am). Drive to Cologne 3.5hrs, beers, food, gig
    - Tuesday - Cologne sight seeing / beers etc...
    - Weds - Drive to Dunkirk 3.5hrs, sightseeing, beers etc...
    - Thursday - Drive to Calais, Duty-free, Eurotunnel, home, bed

Questions:
    1) How long do we need at the museum?
    2) What else should we be doing in Stuttgart?
    3) Is the Merc museum worth going to?
    4) We have the choice of driving my 911 or her X3 Diesel - should I be taking the 911 or taking the X3 and filling it up with duty-free :)
    5) What should we do / see in Dunkirk?
    6) Should we be doing anything differently ?
    Last edited by gavsw20; 18th June 2019 at 20:24.

Blog Entries
    No matter how romantic it sounds to drive a powerful car on the Autobahn at high speed, my advise is to avoid the Autobahn as much as you can and opt for the French Autoroutes instead as long as you can! The Germans have dug up half of Germany's Autobahns and there are 'Baustellen' (Roadworks) everywhere, causing a lot of traffic jams. Belgian's motorways from West to East are not really much better than the German's. Added to that: Belgian motorways lack service stations. The few that are around, have ridiculous fuel prices.

Having driven 30K kms on Dutch, German, Belgian, British and French motorways during the last 10 months, I can safely say that the French are far ahead of the rest of Europe at the moment.

M.

Master
    I've just driven from Berlin to Lindau in a 911 Targa and loved it. Thieuster is correct, there are many delays with roadworks but we managed the 730km in a little under 7 hours including stops. Today has been a drive part way along the Alpibe Strasse with another 360km to go before we reach Berchtesgaden. Stuttgart is a notoriously congested city though so bear that in mind.
    Enjoy the treat, I've not yet been to the Porsche museum but will do someday.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Been to Porsche, merc, Audi and bmw.

Enjoyed merc the best, then Audi, bmw and then Porsche. We really wanted to enjoy Porsche but felt deflated after it.

Allow half a day 3-4 hours

Have a great trip however you travel.

Jim

Allow 3-4 hours for the museum which is fabulous
    Speyer is a nice historic town for a detour on your way back.
    Hautvillers in the Reims area is idyllic and G Tribaut champagne we’ll worth looking for at about 20 euro/ bottle. their land is adjacent to that of Dom Perignon.
    I wouldn’t bother with Dunkirk personally, however Veurne is on the autoroute back there about 20km away and is a nice little coffee/snack stop
    Have fun

Blog Entries
    I just googled the route from Calais. It looks as if the route through France is the favourite one. When in the east part of France, Mulhouse and the Bugatti /Schlumpf museum is only a small detour from the original route. The Bugatti museum is an important landmark of automotive history. Recommended!

Menno

Craftsman
    I did the Mercedes museum a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Well worth a visit in my opinion.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Allow 3-4 hours for the museum which is fabulous
    Speyer is a nice historic town for a detour on your way back.
    Hautvillers in the Reims area is idyllic and G Tribaut champagne we’ll worth looking for at about 20 euro/ bottle. their land is adjacent to that of Dom Perignon.
    I wouldn’t bother with Dunkirk personally, however Veurne is on the autoroute back there about 20km away and is a nice little coffee/snack stop
    Have fun
    Speyer has a superb Teknikmuseum, with numerous aircraft, a U-boat you can go inside, cars, motorcycles and a Russian space shuttle. Very much worth a visit.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Its a few years since I did a similar trip, albeit I was going onto the Italian GP. BMW and Porsche, both were OK with petrol head blinkers on. I think Porsche have made quite a few improvements in recent years from what I have read.

Whilst your in the Stuttgart area Metzingen is worth a visit if you need some new clobber or want to treat the other half. Not your usual outlet tat.

If you are going to the Porsche museum and factory, then there is only one car you can go in for photo opportunities outside the factory gates etc!

I'm a massive Porsche fan so thoroughly enjoyed the museum. I couldn't get tickets for the factory tour so would like to return for that. The Merc museum is the more impressive but ultimately was in Stuttgart for Porsche. I stayed at a hotel with a bar nearby that had old vintage Porsche posters covering just about every square inch of walls. Munich was the next stop, BMW Welt and museum are also very impressive. If you don't take the 911, you can hire one.

Stuttgart is a very industrial city but there are some nice bars and restaurants.

Enjoy!

Have a look at this thread https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...a-Porsche-Merc
    We had a very good weekend, the highlights were the Merc Museum, food in the Porsche Museum, a visit to Stowa which you could possible include on the way there or return.
    Hautvillers would be a good choice and for something different try here https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_...Grand_Est.html, they were wonderful hosts and sent my daughter away with a sack of excavated earth to sort through for fossils.
    Nigel

Craftsman
    Apologies, I thought I had responded to this.

Thanks for the info, especially the advice to head to the museum in Speyer, that is right up my strasse :)

We will defo check out the Merc museum whilst we are there. Photos to follow on my return.

Master
    Go in the Porsche, you won't ever be saying "I wish we'd gone in the BMW"!
    Loved an extended tour through Europe in my Boxster a few years ago, Stuttgart was our penultimate stop; nothing more to add, but this is worth a visit too, it's a fabulous car storage place you can wander around and it has all sorts of little businesses inside too, selling books, art etc. - https://www.motorworld.de/en/

The Porsche museum is a nightmare for parking, I'd recommend getting there early! Mercedes museum is absolutely fabulous.