closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 32 of 32

Thread: Recommendations for truly great non-mechanical watches

  1. #1
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    DEVON.UK
    Posts
    654

    Recommendations for truly great non-mechanical watches

    Evenin'
    So I have a small collection of mechanical watches and haven't bought anything new for the best part of 10 years, I have a GMT2C and an SKX007K, both really need a service but I am hesitant on dropping the cash.

    I appreciate the need to maintain them as assets, especially with the Rolex which had just had a nice bump in value as the model discontinued, but it would bring little joy, I just want something new and shiny.

    So I am looking at non-mechanical (there is some flexibility in this term but in essence, a non traditional, low maintenance movement) mid range watches which won't present as much of an issue in the future, so far I am looking at:
    - Grand Seiko Spring Drive - unique tech, in-house, good looking, especially if I go for the more costly snowflake
    - Breitling Aerospace - bombproof and probably the best watch Breitling make to my eye

    What other great / iconic watches should I consider, upto £5kish?

    Best regards,
    Chris

  2. #2
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    448
    I had an Omega Seamaster quartz 2542.80 which served me well. A very versatile watch that is way within your budget.

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,832
    If looking at spring drive GS I would look at the spring drive SBJE201 and if looking at that I would also consider the SBGJ003 which is a hi-beat.

  4. #4
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Milton Keynes
    Posts
    1,048
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoopdong
    I just want something new and shiny.
    You might also want to consider a Grand Seiko 9F quartz. Some say they are nice watches, but nearly all say they are 'shiny'.

    The movement I would say is the greatest quartz ever made, and apart from a tri-annual battery change, maintenance is pretty much zero.

  5. #5
    Journeyman DaveA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    225
    Spring Drive GMT or Sinn UX would be top of my list for sure!

  6. #6
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    122
    Omega Aqua Terra Quartz? Plenty of choice in colours and sizes.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Plymouth, UK
    Posts
    1,113
    GS Spring Drive diver, this one is 9 years old now and still spot on.


  8. #8
    Craftsman Strnglwhank's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Psst...you ain't seen me right!?
    Posts
    696
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    a tri-annual battery change.....
    I think you mean triennial

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Milton Keynes
    Posts
    1,048
    Quote Originally Posted by Strnglwhank View Post
    I think you mean triennial

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Indeed! Sorry about that. Once every three years, not 3 times a year!

  10. #10
    Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    8,696
    One of the Skywalkers? Worn by astronauts and astronuts




  11. #11
    I'd recommend Grand Seiko quartz without hesitation. The finishing is astonishing and it would cost you barely half your budget.

  12. #12
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    DEVON.UK
    Posts
    654
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts guys. Definitely feeling the love for Grand Seiko as expected. The Omega offerings are interesting too, I certainly knew of the X33, but the Aqua Terra had pretty much flown under my radar; it really is rather attractive!

  13. #13
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    2,392
    AQ4030-51E (perpetual calendar included)
    Last edited by matt; 18th June 2019 at 21:35.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Grand Seiko 9F quartz.
    Seconded.

    There was an SBGX263 on Sales Corner for a song recently - circa £1k.

    As low-maintenance as can be, with a battery change you can do yourself, and an alleged 50-year interval before the sealed mechanics of the Quartz movement need serviced. Realistically itíll never be more than a few seconds out (if even) at any given time, so the time wonít need corrected often, and just needs date & daylight-saving adjustment every so often - itís a real grab & go.

    100m water resistance, sapphire crystal & decently anti-magnetic too, so itís nothing that needs especially babied either.

    The sunburst champagne dial, hands, indices & metal finishing also never get old.

    And itís very different to the Rolex & Seiko.

  15. #15
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    122
    For me it was between the Aqua Terra and the Grand Seiko SBGX, I wanted something that was dressy and sporty.

    I really liked the idea of the 9F movement but the Aqua Terra won it for me with the additional water resistance and the screw down crown as it will be used it a pool. Iím sure the Grand Seiko could handle it but I like the extra safety.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    Master PreacherCain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,066
    Skywalker X33 for multifunctional awesomeness. 9F GS Quartz for dressy wear. Use all the budget, you could buy both!

  17. #17
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    122

    Recommendations for truly great non-mechanical watches

    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    Seconded.

    There was an SBGX263 on Sales Corner for a song recently - circa £1k.

    As low-maintenance as can be, with a battery change you can do yourself, and an alleged 50-year interval before the sealed mechanics of the Quartz movement need serviced. Realistically itíll never be more than a few seconds out (if even) at any given time, so the time wonít need corrected often, and just needs date & daylight-saving adjustment every so often - itís a real grab & go.

    100m water resistance, sapphire crystal & decently anti-magnetic too, so itís nothing that needs especially babied either.

    The sunburst champagne dial, hands, indices & metal finishing also never get old.

    And itís very different to the Rolex & Seiko.
    I was close to picking this up, great looking watch and excellent value. I decided to go with the Aqua Terra but might have to try one in the future.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    Master zelig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cherrytown, Glos, UK
    Posts
    6,864
    Blog Entries
    67


    Seiko 9F movement tweaked to 5 sec per year - takes some beating IMHO

    z

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    One of the Skywalkers? Worn by astronauts and astronuts

    Damn that watch is getting under my skin...
    ...I really do want one...

  20. #20
    Master mindforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad14 View Post
    I was close to picking this up, great looking watch and excellent value. I decided to go with the Aqua Terra but might have to try one in the future.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I got this one and love it. Also having previously been faced by this choice, I chose GS over the AT and never regretted it, found the finishing far superior.

  21. #21
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    I got this one and love it. Also having previously been faced by this choice, I chose GS over the AT and never regretted it, found the finishing far superior.
    Iíve never handled one in person, will have to go the London boutique next time I visit.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  22. #22
    Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,832
    Good video which gives food for thought.

    This or the SBGE201 would be a good review along side some Red Wings or Iron Hearts on your channel

    https://youtu.be/H01YMLpRSsI

  23. #23
    Grand Master abraxas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    31,650


    The Most Accurate Watch Ever Made? - Citizen Eco-Drive Cal. 0100
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEkmd1EGec8

    Around £5.8K

  24. #24
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    318
    A-13a, nice watch designed and built on a no compromise basis for a specific function. Quartz movement as it's more accurate than mechanical.


  25. #25
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    DEVON.UK
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Good video which gives food for thought.

    This or the SBGE201 would be a good review along side some Red Wings or Iron Hearts on your channel

    https://youtu.be/H01YMLpRSsI
    Ha ha, it would be nice to feature some watch content although my buying habits probably wont maintain much momentum!

    That GMT is very nice, and the chap know how to put together a video, wonderful close ups, really show the details off.

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    AQ4030-51E (perpetual calendar included)
    Yes, this would be a fantastic option. For me, it's the independently adjustable hour hand that is the more useful 'upgrade' over the 9F (on which changing the date is extremely quick and simple).

    Very difficult to find one of these in the flesh, though, so you'd have to be prepared to take a punt.

  27. #27
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    4,257
    Not sure the GS spring-drive is really a none mechanical design. It has over 200 mechanical parts in the movement. At best, a hybrid.
    If you are going down this path, the GS quartz is surely tops. Fabulous precision and zero hassle.

  28. #28
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Not sure the GS spring-drive is really a none mechanical design. It has over 200 mechanical parts in the movement. At best, a hybrid.
    If you are going down this path, the GS quartz is surely tops. Fabulous precision and zero hassle.
    How easy is it to get a battery change on a GS quartz?

  29. #29
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    1,747
    I have a SMP 300 quartz which fits my requirements perfectly for a quartz watch.

    No longer made, sadly, but not hard to pick up a used version.

  30. #30
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    s60
    Posts
    602
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post


    The Most Accurate Watch Ever Made? - Citizen Eco-Drive Cal. 0100
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEkmd1EGec8

    Around £5.8K
    That is impressive not seen those before.

  31. #31
    Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,832
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl1 View Post
    That is impressive not seen those before.
    Can't decide what's more impressive, the accuracy or that it came from Citizen.

  32. #32
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    s60
    Posts
    602
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Can't decide what's more impressive, the accuracy or that it came from Citizen.
    I thought the Citizen Chronomaster quartz was the best ..but I was wrong .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •