closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My SOTC

My SOTC

Hi folks, new arrival yesterday and another coming on Tuesday so I’ll update the thread then. For now, a few notes on my watches and some pics, if you’ll indulge me. Nobody at home is interested although my son nearly threw one across the lounge just now.

Westclox vintage diver. I think many of you have seen this but it remains a real jewel in my set. It’s 38mm and has a seiko 66 derived movement. It’s really lightweight and thin (hand wound). I’ve taken it apart myself a few times to straighten the dial and polish the inside of the acrylic plus a bit of regulation so now it loses about 30s a day which I think is pretty good. The Westclox museum have been great at helping me find info about it. Turns out they were sold to military forces at rest station PX stores during the Vietnam war. It’s nice on a perlon in the summer and a Phoenix grey NATO which fits the vibe very well. 20mm lugs so very easy.

Longines Legend Diver (no date). I guess this is my ‘nice’ one - and the only one I bought new back in 2009 or thereabouts. It’s been my daily for about ten years through all the important things like first job, marriage, house and so on. I’ve worn it in every holiday and love that it looks great with smart or casual style. Such a flexible watch. Some say it wears big because of the lug size but my wrist is 7.5” and seemingly quite flat - and I guess I’m so used to it, it’s like an old jumper to me!

Tollet chronograph. When I saw this I loved the look of it but thought ‘ah it’ll be tiny’. I was really excited to find it was 38mm so I bought it as a celebration of getting a new (dream) job. It has a Landeron 39 movement which is the loudest movement I’ve ever heard! It’s a column wheel Chrono and keeps excellent time, maybe gains about 3 seconds a day.

Lemania Chrono. Always liked the shape of these and nearly bought a Sinn badged one a while back. I wasn’t sure about the orange hands and panda subdials so I was really interested when I saw this one with white details. The Tritium lume has faded nicely into a slightly off green colour and the case is 39mm giving the otherwise chunky case a really compact ‘jewel’ like quality. The case is aluminium and the PVD has worn in all the right places. I must say I find reading Chrono minutes from the large central hand far better than a tiny subdial. I rather like the utalitarian feel to this one and it somehow doesn’t feel as overtly militaristic as I thought it might. Looks great in green but also grey and beige - and black!

I’ll update with #5 next week! (Gonna need a bigger box!)

Last edited by ped; 10th April 2020 at 10:47.

Loving those, especially the Longines which normally don’t grab me. And the toilet, just for the name of nothing else!!

Nice collection , great to see a mix of vintage and new !!

Master
    I really like the Lemania, what a catch

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    What a great collection and thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by NickRed71 View Post
    I really like the Lemania, what a catch

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Thanks, here's a better pic without so much dust!

Really cool little collection you have there, I like it more than alot of the huge collections that get shared.

The Tollet and Lemania are the highlights, absolutely love both of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Really cool little collection you have there, I like it more than alot of the huge collections that get shared.

The Tollet and Lemania are the highlights, absolutely love both of those.
    Thanks, very nice compliment given some of the watches I see here!! They don't owe me a great deal but each piece has a particular something about it beyond what they are 'worth' that in my eyes is the crux of this passion of ours.

Nice collection. That Lemania is a cracker

Craftsman
    That's a great collection! That Lemania is my favourite but all the others are really cool too. Rarely do I like all the watches in someone's collection.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Nice collection, like the Lemania and the Longines.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Master
    The Longines Legend Diver looks especially good minus the date feature.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    The Longines Legend Diver looks especially good minus the date feature.
    Yes, at the time I think it was the only type they did (I bought it as soon as it came out from a dealer in Oxford, I have fond memories of cycling home with the massive box!). The date feature throws the balance off a bit I think but I still think the date versions are excellent value. It’s really the perfect song anything’ watch. It looks great on a NATO too but now I wear it mostly in this strap from Watchgecko that is almost exactly the same as the OEM sailcloth one with the added bonus of being waterproof. Oh and about a quarter of the price of the Longines one (I’ve worn out three!)
    https://www.watchgecko.com/zuludiver...rs-watch-strap

It has 22mm lugs but I think a 22/18 taper strap really lends it an elegant look on the wrist. Something that doesn’t taper, like a NATO, makes the watch feel bigger.