closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hosting company for an email address

Master

Hosting company for an email address

For the last 20 years my email address has been my works email address. Potential retirement is looming (in the next 1-2 years) so I need to start thinking of my own email account somewhere under my own domain.... not the obligatory gmail/hotmail... a 'proper' email account that I can use with pop3 or preferably imap.

So I'm after recommendations for email hosting companies please. Not expensive, this will mainly be for personal emails, BUT I do have a LOT of email archived so a reasonable amount of storage space would be a boon (thinking of the imap setup here).

Cheers

:-)

You can get GSuite for £4.60 per user per month. You can direct your own domain to it. I've been using the legacy free GSuite for 10 years now and have been very happy with it.

https://gsuite.google.com/intl/en_uk...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Master
    Office 365 is £59.99 annually for one user and £79.99 for up to six and will also give access to the latest office suite on line and installed to local machines.

https://products.office.com/en-gb/co...products?tab=1

Or

If you don’t want/need any apps ProtonMail has been recommended on here before, the security is supposed to be very good.
    https://protonmail.com/pricing

Master
    I use Fasthosts and whist they are no perfect they are pretty good. It is reasonably reliable (there are occasional email server outages).

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    You can get GSuite for £4.60 per user per month. You can direct your own domain to it. I've been using the legacy free GSuite for 10 years now and have been very happy with it.

https://gsuite.google.com/intl/en_uk...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This, I have 4 domains all hosted for free on Gmail, once you have your domain you just need to point the mx and spf records etc to the setting Gmail say to use after you have setup you Gmail account.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Office 365 is £59.99 annually for one user and £79.99 for up to six and will also give access to the latest office suite on line and installed to local machines.

https://products.office.com/en-gb/co...products?tab=1

Or

If you don’t want/need any apps ProtonMail has been recommended on here before, the security is supposed to be very good.
    Office isn’t a hosting company.

I have the Plus package from Protonmail and I'm very happy with it but my domain comes through another provider.

It comes with 5gb storage - not sure if that is enough for you.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    I use Fasthosts and whist they are no perfect they are pretty good. It is reasonably reliable (there are occasional email server outages).
    I use fasthosts too £2+VAT a month for the POP/IMAP4 email service. Been with them years now and no issues for me. They have a £1 a month offer atm.

Master
    Thanks... I'll go through the suggestions and see what is what.

gmail is out.

I'll need to check if any of the options supports imap and, if so, how much storage; I'm thinking c. 20gig!

Steve

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Office isn’t a hosting company.
    Are you sure that you don’t get hosting in the subscription?

https://support.office.com/en-us/art...7-8979403b427b

This seems to indicate you do, certainly we use exchange hosting for our companies.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post

gmail is out.

I'll need to check if any of the options supports imap and, if so, how much storage; I'm thinking c. 20gig!

Steve
    As with everything data related, you’re only as safe as your backups...

Master
    As with everything data related, you’re only as safe as your backups...
    I keep everything synched with my pc as well. So the email is at the hosting company and on my desktop (which is backed up).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    I use fasthosts too £2+VAT a month for the POP/IMAP4 email service. Been with them years now and no issues for me. They have a £1 a month offer atm.
    If you want more than 4 gig you have to go to their 'exchange' platform. Can I still use a normal imap client with that e.g. thunderbird?

Looks like the answer to that is no... :-(
    Last edited by solwisesteve; 18th June 2019 at 11:14.

I use UK2 and have done for many years and have absolutely no problems with them, great service. I'm not sure if they would cope with 20 Gb though ! Worth a chat to them though.... https://www.uk2.net/

gmail is out.

Steve
    Google GSuite supports imap if you enable it in the admin panel. GSuite is not the same as GMail although it does use the Gmail interface.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Artistmike View Post
    I use UK2 and have done for many years and have absolutely no problems with them, great service. I'm not sure if they would cope with 20 Gb though ! Worth a chat to them though.... https://www.uk2.net/
    Nope 10gig max... just asked them. I can have 5 addresses with 10gig each but not one with more than 10gig :-(

I’ve google Gsuite set up for 3 businesses with different domains. It works really well.

Gmail/Gsuite all the way as several have said for a couple quid a month, your own domain is the name used not @ gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    I've used Fasthosts for years - very happy with them, when spammer scammers used my email address they were very helpful and sorted me out - can't imagine Google doing that. Worth paying a few quid a month for the help you may need occasionally.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    Google GSuite supports imap if you enable it in the admin panel. GSuite is not the same as GMail although it does use the Gmail interface.
    gsuite is the favourite option at the moment.... a quid a week but there you go...

I use 4uh, 4uhosting for my personal email and also company web hosting and emails. Always gave me good service.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Are you sure that you don’t get hosting in the subscription?

https://support.office.com/en-us/art...7-8979403b427b

This seems to indicate you do, certainly we use exchange hosting for our companies.
    I use a personalised email address with Outlook in Office 365 but they don't host email. Exchange isn't included (at least with home/personal products).

Krystal.co.uk cloud hosting with 5GB storage is £3.99 a month.

I've used AOL for years. No idea what the capacity is. Browser is ok.

Another very satisfied Fasthosts user here for circa 3 years.

A few quid a month, no issues at all

Mark

Blog Entries
    Take a look at claranet soho - excellent, inexpensive for several users (I think 5 or 6) - and excellent support !

Used them for many years.

Cheers, Peter

Master
    I'm giving gsuite a trial first of all, 14 day trial period.

Just getting tsohost account sorted to associate my mail domain to the gsuite server.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Artistmike View Post
    I use UK2 for domain and email. Been with them for 15 years, reasonable costs and great technical support if needed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redkite View Post
    I use UK2 for domain and email. Been with them for 15 years, reasonable costs and great technical support if needed.
    But they have a storage limit of 10gig.

If you're using pop3 for your email then that's more than enough. If you use ipmap then it's probably not, well not for me anyway.

Steve

Master
    If you're thinking of paying for GSuite why not consider an Office 365 subscription & get an Exchange hosted account?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    If you're thinking of paying for GSuite why not consider an Office 365 subscription & get an Exchange hosted account?
    I'm not sure... I did look into it and rejected this idea but I can't remember why :-(

Master
    I'm not sure... I did look into it and rejected this idea but I can't remember why :-(
    I started out thinking I only wanted to buy standalone copies of Office but I needed to upgrade versions to be compatible with others on a project & I just bit the bullet & went O365 Business Premium & its been much easier to administer.

Like you I used to Thunderbird & IMAP but now I just let MS look after storage & it's simple to configure a new client when I have a new phone or PC. As you get 1TB of Onedrive storage I'm in the process of dropping my Dropbox subscription (triggered by the 20% price rise).

Of course you can get very similar features from GMail/GSuite but I don't like the interface & Google has a habit of dropping features on a regular basis. If you have an Android phone then the Contacts book works better with GMail than Exchange/O365 though as I have found this to be a slight weakness.

+1 on GSuite, used it for about 15 years now and it's been excellent. Used to be free but even now not too expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    What's the benefit of Microsoft over Google? My experience with Microsoft software is that it's OK on Windows but on non Microsoft operating systems the user experience isn't great. So if you're using mail accounts on Android or Apple devices GSuite integrates better.

Journeyman
    Seedbox https://www.seedboxco.net/ is a type of hosting, like web site hosting, game server hosting, e-mail server, etc. Their plans can be very useful. Easy & Efficient as for me. I highly recommend you to use an AB-1500 plan!
    Last edited by Derrils; 3rd February 2020 at 10:05.

Craftsman
    https://www.34sp.com/email-hosting

Might be worth a look? We used them to host a website years ago and they were excellent.

GSuite

Master
    Blog Entries
    Whatever you choose, it's worth remembering that Google Domains (and some other providers) have email forwarding as standard. You can provide an email address on the domain and they'll forward it to any email address you want e.g. If I registered scepticalist.com I could tell them to forward anything addressed to scepticalist@scepticalist.com to scepticalist@hotmail.com for example.

This means as long as you have your own domain and give people that email address, you can change email providers in the background as and when it suits you. You can also change your email address easily if you find yourself a target for spam/fraud.

Blog Entries
    Check Claranetsoho, London based - one of THE best/safest out there.... and not a lot of money either :-)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren View Post
    Check Claranetsoho, London based - one of THE best/safest out there.... and not a lot of money either :-)
    Not sure anyone has ever used a claranet group company and the best in the same sentence before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use 4UHosting and have done for a number of years - they have great service. The basic package is £3.59 per month / £43 a year and includes the ability to host 2 websites/domain names and you can pick as many e-mail addresses as you want.

https://www.4uhosting.co.uk/