closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: This is the last watch that walked on the moon...

This is the last watch that walked on the moon...

This is the last watch that walked on the moon, in my hand! The Omega Speedmaster ref ST105.003
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS4kl2OaYXU

Just watch it.

That’s a special watch. Cernan was an absolute gent, a very down to earth astronaut. ‘The Last Man on the Moon‘ is an excellent documentary telling his story.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Wow, quite something to hold an item that has been to the moon.

Such a shame that we weren't able to build on those initial explorations and the endeavour of people like Gene Cernan.

I was willing him to say 'more connected than an Apple watch' 🚀
    Gray

Craftsman
    That’s very cool, I see why they didn’t go hessalite!

Really enjoying the BBC’s 13 minutes to the moon podcast - the whole endeavour is insane.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman

Really enjoying the BBC’s 13 minutes to the moon podcast - the whole endeavour is insane.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post

But they did go hesalite, and the watch in the video does have a hesalite crystal. One reason it was considered more suitable is that it was more likely to crack than shatter, like a mineral glass crystal might.

Grand Master
    Lets be really honest, no watch has been to the moon because no man has either, but its a romantic notion and a great distraction from political events at the time.

1972 was the last time we ‘popped’ there using less technology than is in an iPhone and we haven’t been back for almost 50 years..........Ummmmmmmm
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Lets be really honest, no watch has been to the moon because no man has either, but its a romantic notion and a great distraction from political events at the time.

1972 was the last time we ‘popped’ there using less technology than is in an iPhone and we haven’t been back for almost 50 years..........Ummmmmmmm
    Take your tin foil hat off. It happened it was just horrifically expensive and gained very little in return, regardless of what NASA would have everyone believe. It was a convenient distraction from disastrous American foreign policy in Asia and the middle east and one in the eye for the Soviets. After the first footstep, it all became a bit irrelevant.

Watches can walk! Who knew.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    But they did go hesalite, and the watch in the video does have a hesalite crystal. One reason it was considered more suitable is that it was more likely to crack than shatter, like a mineral glass crystal might.
    Sorry of course I meant sapphire. That hessalite is beyond poly watch.

Master

Suppose Concorde was a fake or conspiracy too? It was a greater technological achievement than the moon landings in the same era.

FFS!

Or, did I miss the joke?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Wow, quite something to hold an item that has been to the moon.
    If you go to Kennedy Space Centre you can actually touch the moon, there's a piece of moon rock you are allowed to stroke. Or perhaps it's a piece of rock from a film set in the Nevada desert, who knows?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    This is the last watch that walked on the moon
    A walking watch! That’s got to be worth a bob or two!

I think Bart Sibrel knows the moon landings were real. Buzz put him straight on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I think Bart Sibrel knows the moon landings were real. Buzz put him straight on that one.

He's probably a bit more selective in who he calls a 'coward and a liar' these days as well.

Lets be really honest, no watch has been to the moon because no man has either, but its a romantic notion and a great distraction from political events at the time. 1972 was the last time we ‘popped’ there using less technology than is in an iPhone and we haven’t been back for almost 50 years..........Ummmmmmmm
    Do you really believe this?

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    A walking watch! That’s got to be worth a bob or two!
    Watches talk, say hi, sing to people, owe people money, get a trigger pulled on, wear shoes, are often referred to as ‘she’ - there is no reason why they shouldn’t be able to walk.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    Suppose Concorde was a fake or conspiracy too? It was a greater technological achievement than the moon landings in the same era.

FFS!

Or, did I miss the joke?
    No Ive been on Concorde so I can quantify thats real and it also took the path that a million other planes had. Sorry but having looked at it Im not convinced the moon has been landed on! Much to the disgust of Brian Cox who I hold in very high regard.
    RIAC

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Do you really believe this?
    I don’t think the moon has been landed on by Humans no but its just my opinion
    RIAC

I don’t think there is even a moon in reality. It is just a large white balloon put up in the sky by NASA.
    I would not have suspected you to be a moon landing conspiracy theorist to be honest.

This is the last watch that walked on the moon...

This chap was pretty convincing when talking about his experiences with Apollo 16!

The legend that is Charlie Duke, Capcom for Apollo 11 and 10th man to walk on the moon with Apollo 16

Whilst I agree that the achievement sounds outrageous I truly believe it happened and you can still see the landers and Lunar rovers left up there with strong telescopes as well as the laser ranging as mentioned above.

What I can’t believe would be the 1000s of people who would be required to make the conspiracy work across numerous different countries. That I find more implausible than actually landing on the moon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    No Ive been on Concorde so I can quantify thats real and it also took the path that a million other planes had. Sorry but having looked at it Im not convinced the moon has been landed on! Much to the disgust of Brian Cox who I hold in very high regard.
    Interesting. One is a low pressure capsule, fireworks and some complex geometry.

The other is a reusable, higher tech, self-propelled, faster than a rifle bullet, no need for 100% o2, no space suit, sip champagne luxury transport system that just needs a check/refuel and 'rinse lather repeat' 000's of times with 000's and 000's of passengers.

OK, I'm convinced!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    loved that vid abraxas, but loved buzz punching sibrel a tiny bit more if I'm honest.

That's the good thing about facts. They're true, regardless of "opinion".

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startsw...n-steph-curry/

PSA

8 days: To the Moon and Back.......coming soon to BBC2 and iPlayer

Master
    Who / What did then ?

I suggest you watch 'In The Shadow of The Moon'.
    Last edited by Gomers; 18th June 2019 at 21:10.

Nothing special really - a few watches were the last to walk on the moon. Eventually this will be among them.

The first to walk on the moon will always be that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    Whilst I agree that the achievement sounds outrageous I truly believe it happened and you can still see the landers and Lunar rovers left up there with strong telescopes
    Sort of. The telescopes have to be mounted on lunar orbiters. Even Hubble doesn't have the resolution to make out a LEM descent stage or lunar rover.

Journeyman
    That’s special.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Nothing special really - a few watches were the last to walk on the moon. Eventually this will be among them.

The first to walk on the moon will always be that.
    Surely any item of tech kit worn outside the earths atmosphere and used to keep an astronaut alive in the most inhospitable environment has got to be special?

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    You'd think they could have found a service bezel for it, FFS.

Can you confirm whether you've washed your right hand since this encounter.

Asking for a friend.

Are you mixing a 3 piece tweed suit with jeans in that picture? I think I need to make a call to the Isle of Harris sartorial constabulary...
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Craftsman

What I can’t believe would be the 1000s of people who would be required to make the conspiracy work across numerous different countries. That I find more implausible than actually landing on the moon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Indeed. You'd think the Russians might have noticed and said something about it had the moon landings not actually occurred.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    Surely any item of tech kit worn outside the earths atmosphere and used to keep an astronaut alive in the most inhospitable environment has got to be special?
    No different to the same model that hasn't walked.

That's a watch with a very special story.

Me neither. They clearly showed a spherical earth, not the flat earth we know and love ;)

Everyone is of course entitled to their views, but for me a test of whether someone is entirely rational, clear thinking or not, is whether they doubt the moon landings.
    One of man's greatest scientific and exploratory achievements should not be reduced to the level of a question of belief.

Everyone is of course entitled to their views, but for me a test of whether someone is entirely rational, clear thinking or not, is whether they doubt the moon landings.
    One of man's greatest scientific and exploratory achievements should not be reduced to the level of a question of belief.
    Exactly, there is nothing to believe or not (this is not Religion but science). There are dozens of elements clearly proving that this is real. Laser test, capsules seen by telescopes, 500.000 people working on the Apollo project (not one ever 'coming out' with any proves), the Russians observing everything in detail never ever claiming once it was fake, ....etc

Please let's just stop this BS about the conspiracy. I would suggest to ask the question who would have gained from such a conspiracy? Would the world have changed if they had not landed? The Russians were already out, as the N1 project was not viable..

....and by the way, I have visited the Cape a couple of times and seen and touched the Apollo, Mercury, Gemini, Shuttle artefacts. There is nothing fake about these and Gene Cernan's watch is absolute and almost unique piece of history in my eyes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pacchi View Post
    Exactly, there is nothing to believe or not (this is not Religion but science). There are dozens of elements clearly proving that this is real. Laser test, capsules seen by telescopes, 500.000 people working on the Apollo project (not one ever 'coming out' with any proves), the Russians observing everything in detail never ever claiming once it was fake, ....etc

Please let's just stop this BS about the conspiracy. I would suggest to ask the question who would have gained from such a conspiracy? Would the world have changed if they had not landed? The Russians were already out, as the N1 project was not viable..

....and by the way, I have visited the Cape a couple of times and seen and touched the Apollo, Mercury, Gemini, Shuttle artefacts. There is nothing fake about these and Gene Cernan's watch is absolute and almost unique piece of history in my eyes.
    I hate to disappoint but science is based on theories not fact. Thank goodness the theories stand up to rigorous examination.

It is amazing the moon shots are based on Newtonian mechanics derived from a falling apple!

OP: thanks for sharing!
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 19th June 2019 at 20:51.

Master
    I’ve either seen a moon watch and touched moon rock, or been blagged.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ster-Moonwatch

Blog Entries

It was the days you could fit a whole operating system on a floppy disk. And code was written in machine code - none of this 3GL rubbish! Those were the days! I’ve visited the Houston control centre and seen the archaic computer systems - it is amazing but after all the maths was relatively simple - no quantum effects to worry about.

I’m a little surprised by your comments - unless of course this is a wind-up

Martyn.

That is very, very cool.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master
    Couldn't have put it better myself.

I visited Kennedy in May, a truly inspiring place, to see a Saturn 5 up close is astonishing.

'First Man' perfectly demonstrates IMO the single minded endeavour and in the case of the Apollo astronauts, the bravery required to achieve the ultimate goal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Gomers; 21st June 2019 at 09:01.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Agreed. It’s clear to me that anybody spouting this nonsense, and truly believing it, has something not quite right with their critical thinking faculties.

Unfortunately, the ‘moon landing conspiracy’ is conveniently lumped in by the sceptics with all the other so-called conspiracy theories (Kennedy assassination, 9/11 etc) where there might be some scope to validly argue that the public is not in full possession of all the facts, as opposed to the moon landings which are absolutely verifiable in so many ways.

This conspiracy rubbish has gone on long enough...........

Apprentice
    Exactly this - if I come across someone who holds a view like this I quickly decide that I should not be spending my free time with such uneducated cretins.

Quote Originally Posted by neil-c-8 View Post
    Exactly this - if I come across someone who holds a view like this I quickly decide that I should not be spending my free time with such uneducated cretins.
    Little easy, young man. Don’t mean to patronise you but you will get an opportunity with time to get to know others and form more informed judgements as well as gain access to parts of the forum where you can express yourself as strongly as you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I hate to disappoint but science is based on theories not fact.
    And a proven theory becomes... Yes! A fact!