closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Review: Zenith El Primero Stratos Flyback Chronograph 03.2061.405/21.M2060

Blog Entries

Review: Zenith El Primero Stratos Flyback Chronograph 03.2061.405/21.M2060

Here is a short review of this 03.2061.405/21.M2060 which was bought new in Dec 2017 in the US and shipped over to the UK by a previous owner with receipts included. It has passed through a couple of forum hands before reaching me. But it seems to be in pristine condition - I can't find a spot on it.

It is a typical Zenith - by that I mean something a bit different from the run-of-the-mill three hander or even another chronograph). Being Zenith it does appear large on paper and it is not a small watch, but because of the shape of the lugs it is very comfortable. I have switched it from the supplied bracelet to a black 22mm stitched generic strap, though I may try in on leather from my CP2 Special Edition (1-of-50 - another story for another day). It is on the edge of comfort for me just reaching the limit of my wrist width but the lugs remain just inside my wrist. It is similar to a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms.

Here is a web YouTube video of the same watch you are welcome to watch at your leisure: https://youtu.be/opCxEdBZhDc

It is a re-issue of the original of the same name but a rather different watch - smaller but dare I say, complementary. I won't go through all the comparisons as there a couple of places on video and blog that cover this subject. This one has the date at 6pm (the other at a more traditional 4pm for El Primero date of that era (1997) and this re-edition is 45.5mm diameter, rather than 40mm of the older one.

A few items that make this piece for me:

• Flyback Chronograph
    • Aluminium bezel
    • Telemeter (not Tachometer) rehaut - I'll let the reader look up the difference
    • Cut block white superluminova for the arabic numerals
    • 36,600 bph - El Primero 406B
    • Super colour scheme

On wrist - typical of a close up shot the watch looks bigger - be assured it does fit inside my wrist width (just):

Nice and snug in the sun:

Here are some high-res pictures:

First of the case back - showing the rather marvellous El Primero movement with the clutch mentioned previously

Then the watch face

Close up of the rehaut showing the scale in KM

Final thoughts
    Not a watch for the small wristed or the small minded. It has a fine movement beating inside. It sure does make a colourful change from standard watches in my watch box that are mostly black and white or variations on that theme.

Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 17th June 2019 at 21:29.

Awesome review Martyn. It looks great on the strap too!

Master
    Stupendous chronograph, would love one of these one day. Thanks for your comments on this super watch too.

Zenith is a make I’ve overlooked on a couple of occasions,but I handled this very watch last week and I have to say I was pretty impressed,I’d definitely give one a go some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I was all about buying the original Rainbow Flyback but might change my mind on sourcing the Stratos instead. Looks a beauty

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the comments! I appreciate Zenith is not to everyone’s taste, but they continue with further avant-guard development.

I really want one of their new ultra high frequency watches running at 129,600Vhp (18Hz) with an oscillator that replaces the traditional spring balance with one component. Completely overturning the traditional methods of over three centuries.

Superb looking watch. Love the colours, the arabic numerals, and the handset. Zenith chrono's are class.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for writing this review, I enjoyed reading it. Especially as the owner of the "original" (a lucky purchase as was my first mechanical watch almost 20 years ago) and I was looking at this one (I think) on SC trying to justify owning two watches so similar...

It is a lovely watch and a great re-creation - looking at it again as an owner makes me realise why watch manufacturers do re-issues. Something I sort of missed on previous re-issues (even though I own a FF which of course is a re-issue) as they bring a classic design up to date and Zenith have certainly done that.

Journeyman
    Great review thanks interesting as I have the 90s Rainbow version and it always gets noticed

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Elesmy View Post
    Great review thanks interesting as I have the 90s Rainbow version and it always gets noticed
    I’d be interested to hear more about that one - I’m sure others would too! Do you have pictures to share?

comments go to MB2 as well!