timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New washing Machine required

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    No chance with a £450 budget.
    That's why I said "worth the extra" !

You can however buy from the outlet store for about 50% of the cost of new if you can get there

https://www.miele.co.uk/domestic/outlet-2243.htm

Of course waste of money if you only do two loads a week , ours does about 10 loads a week and takes 45 mins to do a wash

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    Andy just drop it to the Laundrette at the end of the road - £15 for a bag the size of a coffin - AND RELAX..... don't even have to give them powder etc - and all nicely folded for you.....
    Oh yeah. Forgot about that

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    Andy just drop it to the Laundrette at the end of the road - £15 for a bag the size of a coffin - AND RELAX..... don't even have to give them powder etc - and all nicely folded for you.....
    "the size of a coffin" WTF , who came up with that comparison , and who even has a bag the size of a coffin?

Last one I bought was a Miele but I got the heads-up on a cash-back from Miele so the whole thing was a genuine £799. Darn fine washing machine, and nice to know it's likely to stay in place year after year. It's quiet and it does the job well.

I had a similar budget and went with a Haier via AO.COM.

Very pleased so far and has performed as well as any major brands I have had previously.

This thread has swiftly gone from a "recommend me a washing machine for £450" to a " I have Miele" thread.

I have a Miele. They are amazing. Get one !

Quote Originally Posted by recaptured View Post
    Guessed you had.

As others have said Miele. It’s industrial standard and comes with a massive warranty.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Hi all. Anyone recently had to purchase a new machine ? Ours have finally bit the bullet
    Went curry’s today and was bewildered by the amount of brands available
    What’s decent ? Upto £450 ish to spend
    Andy
    We have always had Bosch or Siemens machines, last year we replaced the Siemens with a Samsung add wash 9KG machine.
    Lets just say won't be going back to German again.
    The machine tells you when it needs to clean its self, still spotless inside & it gets hammered daily.

Get a miele, if you can't afford (or justify) one, get a Beko and just treat it as disposable, replace every couple of years, you might get lucky and have one last 5 years, will probably work out cheaper than a Miele. Does anyone really think that Miele are as well made today as the ones from 20-30 years ago that lasted forever? I doubt a Miele bought today will still be going in 15yrs

You pay top drawer money for a Miele because they have by far the best construction including a stainless steel outer tub and cast iron balancing weights.

Most other manufacturers (including AEG, Bosch etc) use plastic outer tubs and concrete blocks

I had the debate of whether to go Miele or AEG a few years ago. I went with AEG as it had the same 5 years warranty and was half the cost.

If you’re unlucky enough for your Miele to develop a fault out of warranty, they appear very expensive to fix, which you may feel obliged to do.

Whereas with the AEG you just rinse and repeat on a new purchase. Pun intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Don’t get the Miele thing either. We bought a Samsung eco bubble. Very quiet, looks good and 9kg drum. We did buy the one with the hole in the door you can open if you forget to put something in. It’s a great machine.
    Bought a new Samsung Eco bubble with a digital inverter motor, 9kg drum la-de-da ... cost £420 delivered and a 5 year guarantee.
    The previous machine was also a Samsung, cost £230 (still had the receipt in with the instruction manual) lasted 12 years of heavy duty use, and was still usable but had started to have a slight rumble, so thought best replace it while i had time instead of having my hand forced.

Samsung had a heavy duty model with a 10 year guarantee at £1050.
    I was tempted but then thought if they guarantee it for 10 years it should in all reality last for at least 15+ years, and didn't like the thought that i'd more chance of dying than before the washing machine .......
    Last edited by steptoe; 17th June 2019 at 15:26.

Master
    Had a bosch - we got it second hand and it lasted the best part of 5 years + 1 it was with someone else.
    Replaced it with an LG direct drive as my mate swears by his and he's had it for ages.

You'll always risk getting a Friday afternoon job though so maybe worth getting the cheapest and expecting it to break in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post

You'll always risk getting a Friday afternoon job though so maybe worth getting the cheapest and expecting it to break in a few years.
    never understand this .... a 1970's British Leyland car will have been a pile of rubbish if built on a Friday afternoon....

but a modern washing machine won't see much human interaction on a robot driven production line.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    You pay top drawer money for a Miele because they have by far the best construction including a stainless steel outer tub and cast iron balancing weights.

Most other manufacturers (including AEG, Bosch etc) use plastic outer tubs and concrete blocks

I had the debate of whether to go Miele or AEG a few years ago. I went with AEG as it had the same 5 years warranty and was half the cost.

If you’re unlucky enough for your Miele to develop a fault out of warranty, they appear very expensive to fix, which you may feel obliged to do.

Whereas with the AEG you just rinse and repeat on a new purchase. Pun intended.
    Why is cast iron better than concrete?

Our integrated Zanussi washer/dryer packed in last week. 6.5yrs old. I wasn't happy (came with the house when we bought 3.5yrs ago). Anyway, was advised 6.5yrs is pretty decent these days!

I was going to go AEG as like them and our fridge freezer is AEG but digging around I found the exact same model in Zanussi (same company really) for £120 cheaper. Only visible difference was top panel was full black to the half black Zanussi. Anyway, managed to get another £70 off at AO (price matched another company) and free next day delivery instead of the then £30 so was quite pleased with that despite not wanting Zanussi again. I use a local white goods fella for fitting etc and he said the model was spot on and the way to based decisions is buy something at £300 expect 3yrs use, £500 5yrs, etc. Yes it won't always work that way but was a good marker.

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    ....a 1970's British Leyland car will have been a pile of rubbish whatever day it was built on
    FTFY

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Why is cast iron better than concrete?
    Miele are the only brand to use Cast Iron counter weights in their machine. Other manufacturers have a concrete stabiliser to prevent vibration. As the machine ages, the concrete cracks and crumbles, causing the machine to vibrate and become unstable. Cast Iron in a Miele will not crack, crumble or corrode over time

https://www.rdo.co.uk/glossary/count...-of-cast-iron/

Miele are the only brand to use Cast Iron counter weights in their machine. Other manufacturers have a concrete stabiliser to prevent vibration. As the machine ages, the concrete cracks and crumbles, causing the machine to vibrate and become unstable. Cast Iron in a Miele will not crack, crumble or corrode over time

Maybe been lucky but had couple of machines for 10+ years and never had problem with crumbling concrete.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    9 years ago the washer died. Bought a sub £200 Beko. Fast forward 9 years to last Weds, the Beko died at 2.15 pm just as I was about to leave for pub. Wife had to have a new one as of 2.15pm/NOW!. Bas***d! In car, lash round to Currys, "I want no sales hogwash, what Beko do you have in stock now to take away for £200ish?" Buy sale Beko for £180. Lash back yem. Tear old washer out, connect new washer. Wife very happy. 4.30pm, in pub, 30mins late. Me, very happy also.
    We bought what sounds like the same washer as yours Beko
    having owned a top range hotpoint washer/dryer that was absolutely useless
    Infact the hotpoint was the only appliance I’ve ever taken extended warranty out on
    The dryer mode was useless and I was on first name terms with the hotpoint repair man lol
    So when it came time to renew we went for a cheap Beko washer and a cheap candy condenser dryer
    Both are brilliant and are getting on for 5 years so far and used daily

Have you thought about Miele ?

The first Miele washing machine lasted about 18 years for me and cost £750~. Only in the last few months it cost £60 or so but broke again where the fix was going to be a further £100 and without any guarantee. It was replaced with another Miele.

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    This thread has swiftly gone from a "recommend me a washing machine for £450" to a " I have Miele" thread.
    I don't have a Miele but I wish I had one. Is washing machine envy a thing?

Blog Entries

Well I've never heard of the concrete lump in a washing machine cracking or crumbling. And I've owned a fair few over the years, cheap and not so cheap! Although actually using them is left to the supreme beings.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    The first Miele washing machine lasted about 18 years for me and cost £750~. Only in the last few months it cost £60 or so but broke again where the fix was going to be a further £100 and without any guarantee. It was replaced with another Miele.
    Don’t encourage him.

Is it true that Currys keep your Miele guarantee card for a year?

Blog Entries
    The problem with the very impressive sounding 10 year warranty is WTF knows where the warranty paperwork is eight years down the line?

Machine breaks down, no warranty paperwork? It’s ”*uck off bignose” time!

Assuming you cannot find the old paperwork, suggesting to your repair engineer that he check the manufacturers database for the evidence of your warranty will have him rolling on your utility room floor in paroxysms of mirth.
    Last edited by KavKav; 18th June 2019 at 07:24.

Master
    We had a basic Bosch for 10 years and have replaced it with another basic Bosch for £350

Grand Master
    Miele still use better quality parts in their machines often using sturdier materials and not compromising so in theory they will last longer however if you live in a hard water area (as we do) then there’s little point as the parts will last a lifetime but will be covered in limescale and build up thus rendering them useless before they get chance to break. (Don’t tell me washing machines live longer with Calvin as that’s debatable!)

In terms of economically viable and indeed hygiene I tend to buy a fast spinner (1200-1300) and spend as little as possible preferring to throw it away when done, in 30 years we must of had 6 machines and a total spend of around £1600 so a lot cheaper. My machines also get a hammering from dogs beds, gym kit, plus regular clothes and alot of stuff when kids were younger.
    RIAC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Is it true that Currys keep your Miele guarantee card for a year?
    They also will not let you remove the stickers.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    The problem with the very impressive sounding 10 year warranty is WTF knows where the warranty paperwork is eight years down the line?

Assuming you cannot find the old paperwork, suggesting to your repair engineer that he check the manufacturers database for the evidence of your warranty will have him rolling on your utility room floor in paroxysms of mirth.
    The Miele one is an online database so you can email provided you havent moved house and they have evidence of your purchase and warranty

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post

I thought everyone had a kitchen drawer like mine.
    Contains every receipt/warranty paperwork for every electrical item i've ever bought, dead batteries, empty biros, fuses and elastic bands.

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Have been through a few washing machines as with 3 kids they take a battering.
    Latest one is a Bosch which is going strong after about 5 years which is a record for us.It was about £350 from memory.
    I have a rule about staying away from anything Italian and also everything Ive ever had from Samsung has broken on me.
    We have a Bosch washing machine as well. We replaced our old Bosch 3 years ago, after about 18 years years of service.

We also have a Bosch dishwasher, refrigerator and lawn mower. I guess we are a Bosch household, if only accidentally. :) I also have a couple of Bosch tools (hot air gun, and multi-tool), but generall prefer Makita.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Craftsman
    My repair man said buy the cheapest Bosch . I did and it stands up to hammer ..

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitz View Post
    My repair man said buy the cheapest Bosch . I did and it stands up to hammer ..

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Had the same advise from 2-3 repair guys and a production line engineer with Hotpoint
    RIAC

I have a Beko.

Makita cordless here.

I bought a basic Bosch 7kg drum machine a couple of years back. It was crazy noisy from the outset which I put down to being a feature of the budget nature of the machine. Then a neighbour came round for breakfast and said there's something broken. I called up just before the two year warranty elapsed and sure enough something was broken and it was fixed under warranty. Now it is pretty silent

I went for small drum because my wife washes clothes all day. The machine often goes on despite it not being full and so a bigger drum would make little difference in that setting.

I'm very happy with it. The repair man said that the two biggest variables are drum size and spin speed. Mines 1400 which he said is as fast as Bosch makes and so again, I'm happy.

We have Bosch, however I was told to buy a model that appears on the Bosch website - rather than one from say Curry's, etc. The reason being is that Curry spec the machines and they are built to a specific price point, hence tend not to have the same quality of components you might typically find in a "pucka" Bosch.

On the topic of Miele. We invested in a Miele Chest Freezer - lasted 3 years before giving up the ghost. The cost to repair it was more than the price of a replacement. Never again.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    I have a Beko.
    My commiserations.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    I have a Beko.
    My commiserations.
    Bet he wears a cheapo Lorus too…. Scumbag!!!

Did I mention that I once owned a Miele?