closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New washing Machine required

New washing Machine required

Hi all. Anyone recently had to purchase a new machine ? Ours have finally bit the bullet
    Went curry’s today and was bewildered by the amount of brands available
    What’s decent ? Upto £450 ish to spend
    Andy

Craftsman
    Miele everytime , last 10-15 years and worth the extra

I ran Hotpoints for ages, until I bought what appeared to be a Friday job that expired after a couple of years. Bought an LG direct drive thing, it must be 5 or 6 years old now and still going strong. Quiet, too. Cost around 350-400 IIRC.

Cheers,

Plug

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post
    True, but we needed the extended warranty 3x already. For once, I would say that the extended warranty is worth the money. (We choose the 10 yr scheme)

Menno

Craftsman
    Miele for me too

Had Bendix back in 70’ 80’s bullet proof but don’t seem to make them like they used to

Master
    No chance with a £450 budget.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    True, but we needed the extended warranty 3x already. For once, I would say that the extended warranty is worth the money. (We choose the 10 yr scheme)

Menno
    Our Miele came with a 10 year warranty- Must be six years old now and (touch wood) faultless

Hi,
    I really need a new watch, my budget is around £450.,,,

What you need is a Rolex,,,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Don’t understand Miele. We ran a Hotpoint washing machine for 7 years at our old house - the handle broke once and I bought the parts myself for about £20. Left it there when we moved 4 years ago because we couldn’t be bothered to move it. Bought a replacement Hotpoint for about £350 four years ago, again ok no issues. I would add we have a disabled son who frequently wets the bed (and worse!) so it’s on literally every day. For the price, if it’s outside warranty and I can’t fix it I’ll just order a new one from ao.com and for another £350 have a brand new one. How is spending £1200 on a Miele in any way preferable?!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Hi,
    I really need a new watch, my budget is around £450.,,,

What you need is a Rolex,,,
    MX5 syndrome.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    MX5 syndrome.
    Good to have you back Chris
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Don’t get the Miele thing either. We bought a Samsung eco bubble. Very quiet, looks good and 9kg drum. We did buy the one with the hole in the door you can open if you forget to put something in. It’s a great machine.

Blog Entries
    I brought a second hand Miele for £200 12 years ago…. Just retired it a couple of months back…. Went for an AEG this time…. Time will tell!

Craftsman
    Another vote for Miele, on my 2nd now after given the first one 13 years of abuse.

Got an LG direct drive 9g with a ten year warranty. Only two years in and no issues so far. It was between that and a Samsung for us. The warranty and price on the lg swayed it. Paid about 350 delivered on a deal from hotuk deals.com.

Master
    I’ve had a mid-range Bosch for 12 years now and it hasn’t skipped a beat. Think it was about £300 back then. It’s not used a great deal (3 or 4 cycles per week) but that still represents a couple of thousand washes without a problem (I’ve probably cursed it now though!)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Don’t understand Miele. We ran a Hotpoint washing machine for 7 years at our old house - the handle broke once and I bought the parts myself for about £20. Left it there when we moved 4 years ago because we couldn’t be bothered to move it. Bought a replacement Hotpoint for about £350 four years ago, again ok no issues. I would add we have a disabled son who frequently wets the bed (and worse!) so it’s on literally every day. For the price, if it’s outside warranty and I can’t fix it I’ll just order a new one from ao.com and for another £350 have a brand new one. How is spending £1200 on a Miele in any way preferable?!?!

for a start they are not £1200- you can get one for £599- you obviously haven’t owned one. A Lorus at £40 is more accurate than a £5000 Rolex - I don’t understand Rolex

Saw a Samsung 9kg in budget at 399. Inverter drive motor

Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    Got an LG direct drive 9g with a ten year warranty. Only two years in and no issues so far. It was between that and a Samsung for us. The warranty and price on the lg swayed it. Paid about 350 delivered on a deal from hotuk deals.com.
    The Samsung comes with 5yr warranty. So not too bad

I'm now 54 years of age and have owned a grand total of two (yes, 2) washing machines - actually washer/dryers, both Zanussi. The first one lasted from 1990 to 2009, the second was purchased in 2009 and is still going strong. Not certain that helps the OP, it's just my experience.

Master
    Which magazine

get a best buy within your budget

Simples !!

B

One of the John Lewis own brand washing machines is where my money went. 3 years guarantee included.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    One of the John Lewis own brand washing machines is where my money went. 3 years guarantee included.
    All JL white goods are made by AEG.

As others have said Miele. It’s industrial standard and comes with a massive warranty.

Craftsman
    Have only recently signed up here after lurking for a while. Cannot for the life of me understand these threads and there are plenty of them and they all end up the same way, where someone wants something for a certain price. Normal response is someone has a far better product but costs more, really don't know why they responded when it was outwith the perameters of the OP budget, pretty much any thing you buy can be a lemon depending on your luck, Monday morning manufactured and such like. I had a hotpoint that lasted 12 years cost around £200, replaced with another hotpoint that cost £250 on sale and been going now for 3 years, does the exact same job as the more expensive machines.
    Take your pick and take your chances with pretty much anything you buy.

Master
    Have been through a few washing machines as with 3 kids they take a battering.
    Latest one is a Bosch which is going strong after about 5 years which is a record for us.It was about £350 from memory.
    I have a rule about staying away from anything Italian and also everything Ive ever had from Samsung has broken on me.

9 years ago the washer died. Bought a sub £200 Beko. Fast forward 9 years to last Weds, the Beko died at 2.15 pm just as I was about to leave for pub. Wife had to have a new one as of 2.15pm/NOW!. Bas***d! In car, lash round to Currys, "I want no sales hogwash, what Beko do you have in stock now to take away for £200ish?" Buy sale Beko for £180. Lash back yem. Tear old washer out, connect new washer. Wife very happy. 4.30pm, in pub, 30mins late. Me, very happy also.
    F.T.F.A.

Can’t understand everyone recommending a Miele when the OP has stated a budget of £450.

LG direct drive motor, quiet. Big forums within your budget. Mums one lasted for 15 years before needing Replacing. Mine is 6 years now no issues, mates is 9 .

Quote Originally Posted by Speedyexplorer View Post
    Have only recently signed up here after lurking for a while. Cannot for the life of me understand these threads and there are plenty of them and they all end up the same way, where someone wants something for a certain price. Normal response is someone has a far better product but costs more, really don't know why they responded when it was outwith the perameters of the OP budget, pretty much any thing you buy can be a lemon depending on your luck, Monday morning manufactured and such like. I had a hotpoint that lasted 12 years cost around £200, replaced with another hotpoint that cost £250 on sale and been going now for 3 years, does the exact same job as the more expensive machines.
    Yes, people either don't read the OP or want to chime in that they've got something far more expensive anyway.

^^
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Speedyexplorer View Post
    So why not just move along? Why bother replying?
    F.T.F.A.

Blog Entries
    We needed one a year or so ago. Looked at all the choices and different options.

Life's too short, let the missus decide which one she likes the look of, job done!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    We needed one a year or so ago. Looked at all the choices and different options.

Life's too short, let the missus decide which one she likes the look of, job done!
    Good idea. But she’s skint

We had a Bosch Maxx for around 12-13 years, it had a couple of new pumps at around £15 each and 20 minutes to fit.
    With three small sons, it earned it's keep - IIRC, the motor finally expired and swmbo decided that a new machine was in order.

We ordered a new Bosch VarioPerfect with a 9kg drum, around 4 years ago - it's been faultless and should come in around your budget.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    So why not just move along? Why bother replying?
    Sad I know but couldn't help myself!

Master
    I run Miele washing machines and dishwashers and yes they blow the OP's budget out of the window. I think people chip in and recommend them in all good faith due to the old adage of "buy cheap, buy twice" and generally speaking, you get what you pay for.

My washing machine is over 20 years old and is still going strong. My eyes watered when I bought the thing, but I disciplined myself to buy the best and it has paid off in the long run. The quality is remembered long after the price has been forgotten.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Good idea. But she’s skint
    She chooses, you buy. She has to like it! Happy days, off down the pub.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    She chooses, you buy. She has to like it! Happy days, off down the pub.
    She’s now taking all her washing to her to mums for her her to do
    Me. I’m wearing it days on end.

Blog Entries
    She’s now taking all her washing to her to mums for her her to do
    Me. I’m wearing it days on end.
    Sounds like you need one asap. The phrase 'just do it' springs to mind!

Craftsman
    I quite agree, had a Miele with a 5 year warranty thinking it'll last for years.
    Just after the warranty ended it sounded like we were washing a load of spanners, and a nasty burning smell coming from within the drum.
    Chucked it and went for a LG Direct drive that was half the price of the Miele with same 5 year warranty which has so far been great.
    Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    Can’t understand everyone recommending a Miele when the OP has stated a budget of £450.

LG direct drive motor, quiet. Big forums within your budget. Mums one lasted for 15 years before needing Replacing. Mine is 6 years now no issues, mates is 9 .

I can get 8% corporate discount at Currys. PM me if I can help you save a bit

Saw a Samsung 9kg in budget at 399. Inverter drive motor
    I recently bought a Samsung, it's brilliant, very quiet, John Lewis delivered it. Keep an eye on their prices as the can fluctuate.

Master
    Judging by the Hotpoint tumble dryer fiasco I wouldn’t buy anything from that label or associated brands. JL may fall within budget though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stowaJLCfan View Post
    Another vote for Miele, on my 2nd now after given the first one 13 years of abuse.
    Another Miele fan.... After decades of buying white goods I've learnt now.... go for the best. In the long run it might not be cheaper, I mean spend a grand and get 12 years or a monkey and get 6 years, still the same money. But it's a pile of hassle each time you need to replace which, tbh, I could live without so I try to get the longest I can out of appliances (and diy tools as well so Stihl and Bosch/Makita/etc..). Current Miele washer is over 12 years old and looks like new. Never missed a beat.

If you look into white goods manufacturers, a lot of the different brands are exactly the same machine with a different shaped door/colours/branding. Personally if I can get 7 or 8 years use out of a £300-£400 machine i don’t see the point of spending double that for something that ‘might’ last 20 years. But then again I’m not wealthy and don’t get a kick from having ‘the best’! - and as for my wife, she has no interest in choosing electrical goods, that just gets left to me!
    Interestingly some of the aeg made John Lewis was king machines did very badly in a which review I had when choosing our last one. And the branded aeg version was about £50 cheaper than the John Lewis one!

Master
    After years of buying expensive machines, I asked the repair man last time he came out his recommendation, his reply was to buy cheap, as none are built to last and are now considered disposable.

Had a Bosch which died last year after a long spell of service, kids picked it this time and went for an AEG.

Blog Entries
    Just looking at this topic after looking at watches on Mumsnet and we went with an AEG from John Lewis about four years ago so far so good they took away the old machine as part of the deal.

Hi all. Anyone recently had to purchase a new machine ? Ours have finally bit the bullet
    Went curry’s today and was bewildered by the amount of brands available
    What’s decent ? Upto £450 ish to spend
    Andy
    Andy just drop it to the Laundrette at the end of the road - £15 for a bag the size of a coffin - AND RELAX..... don't even have to give them powder etc - and all nicely folded for you.....