closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: CWC leather NATOs - any good?

CWC leather NATOs - any good?

I tried a cheapy leather NATO a couple of years ago and it wasn't very good at all, so I've stuck to nylon since. I just got a Tanner Bates one and it's actually pretty good, albeit relatively expensive. I doubt any of them will last especially long given how thin the leather has to be, so I expect the "cost per wear" of these to rapidly become exorbitant.

I'm going to order some nylon NATOs from CWC and was thinking about tacking at least one leather onto the order too. Has anyone here already tried them and ideally, compared them to others?

Master
    Perhaps not the answer you are after as I haven't tried CWC. I had good look for leather NATOs I have one from Steveo straps and it is lovely. It has stretched a little but I suspect that it comes with the territory as leather NATOs need to be thinner than a standard leather strap to stop the watch sitting too high. Hence they aren't quite so robust.

Alternatively there is the vintage watch straps website who also make leather NATOs. The proprietor seems to have put quite a bit of thought into the design which is refreshing.

Tapatapatapatapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    CW leather are quality.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    CW leather are quality.
    Did you mean CWC or Christopher Ward?

Id echo others, I think its more or less impossible to make a leather strap thats thin enough to work as a NATO that also lasts well, thats why we dont make them. Theyre probably half the thickness of the thinest bit of a normal strap, thats a lot of strength to loose. Also the unlined ones have the raw flesh side of the leather against your wrist rather than a lining leather which isnt the best

Charlie

Craftsman
    Have you had a look at Yellowdogwatchstraps.com
    Might be worth a look, Alex makes some really nice stuff from leather and rubber.
    Hope it helps,
    Rob

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    Did you mean CWC or Christopher Ward?
    Christopher Ward

Quote Originally Posted by barbusg60 View Post
    Have you had a look at Yellowdogwatchstraps.com
    Might be worth a look, Alex makes some really nice stuff from leather and rubber.
    Hope it helps,
    Rob
    Another vote for Alex, he made me a lovely supple leather nato, quality at a great price.

Thanks for all the suggestions. No experience at all with CWC though?

CWC's nylon NATOs are really good, which is why I'm considering them. One thing I like about their leather NATOs (just going on the photos) is the similar lower profile hardware, compared to the large Zulu/Rhino style rings which I note Yellow Dog uses (their leather also looks rather thick). I like this about the Tanner Bates one too: it wears more or less the same as a normal NATO. Only the cinch fold is a bit chunkier than usual.

I had a look on the ChrWard site and can't seem to find leather NATOs on there at all.

I may take a punt on the CWC anyway and see. I think there is probably a sweet spot for leather NATOs where the quality is good enough, but it's also cheap enough to not expect it to last forever. The leather is just too thin and can't be made thicker without looking silly, or in the worst case not even fitting between the case and bar at all.

I have a couple of Yellowdog leather NATOs. They are definitely a cut above the rest quality wise, but are also pretty thick so may not fit if clearance is tight. In some cases curved springbars can alleviate the problem.

Incidentally while the OP asks about leather straps, Alex also makes just about the best rubber straps I’ve found, good to look at and very comfortable, at a very keen price.