closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fathers Day watches

Fathers Day watches

Morning, and a happy Father’s Day to all dads out there!
    I know we normally do the what are you wearing thread on a Friday only. But, being Father’s Day and a special one for me, being the first without my dad here I thought it would be nice to show the watches you are wearing today if they have a sentimental connection to our dads

I’ll start with this one. A watch given to my dad on his 21st in 1963. A lovely but small piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I'll join in. My Dad has been gone 40 years this year.

This was either his WW2 watch or very soon after

Wearing the Batman in the memory of a Superman

Fathers Day watches

I inherited this pocket watch from my Dad, I think it’s been in the family for over 100 years as it has my great great uncles signature scratched inside the case.

It didn’t work and was all tarnished, I’m not a watch maker at all but took it on as a personally project, I stripped it down, cleaned, proper lubrication and it’s now up and running well.
    I just felt it had to be me with my interest in watches that got this watch beating again.

It’s in my pocket all day today..

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I inherited this pocket watch from my Dad, I think it’s been in the family for over 100 years as it has my great great uncles signature scratched inside the case.

It didn’t work and was all tarnished, I’m not a watch maker at all but took it on as a personally project, I stripped it down, cleaned, proper lubrication and it’s now up and running well.
    I just felt it had to be me with my interest in watches that got this watch beating again.

Wow, that is lovely and even better it inspired to to learn to fix it. Did the project and required learning take a long time?

Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    Wow, that is lovely and even better it inspired to to learn to fix it. Did the project and required learning take long
    Thanks for the kind words, pocket watches are quite simple with not so many components, I had tools and oils from messing about with other watches.
    The reason it didn’t work was the power reserve, just gummed up and dry, after cleaning and lube it powers for about a day now.

Journeyman

Fathers Day watches

Also the first Father’s Day without my dad who passed in February. I don’t have anything personal to remember him by and is the very reason I joined this forum as I want to pick up a watch to pass on to my boy.

The attached watch was passed on by my father in law as he doesn’t like it anymore. I think it’s a nice watch and now has sentimental value to me, being the first watch I’ve been gifted. I guess this will also go down to my son as it’s from his grandfather and seems pretty timeless in style (though not in fashion now).

Master

Have a good one fellow Fathers

My estranged brother snagged my late father's watch. I hope he still has it and appreciates it. I have my late grandfather's watch, working perfectly thanks to Rich Askham. It's tiny though - 33/34mm and looks lost on my wrist. It's inscribed on the back as a gift from his sister in 1962.

My Dad (now sadly departed) bought one of these when he worked in Switzerland. It stopped working some time in the 90s and was either given away or thrown away. I searched for ages to find this mint NOS Rotary Monza GT.

My parents bought me the Seiko 8222 Quartz for my 18th birthday, a couple of battery changes later and it's still working lovely.

Some nice old dad-watches ITT.

I've got a couple of Rolexes that I hope will become dad watches for my two in a few years. And I also have this - my maternal grandfather's.

It's a bit small by modern standards!

Master
    Chose this one today:

I don't have anything gifted from my father although he reckons he has all the watches he's ever owned in box somewhere which does intrigue me a little. Although I only ever remember him wearing stainless Casio digital watches. So it might be a box of junk but who knows what is lurking in there.

Have had to postpone my personal father's day as I have spent the weekend with parents of close friend who died last weekend. Most of the time was spent reminiscing and laughing about the old days so not as bleak as it might have been but still a sad time. It has made me pause for thought and I will be reconsidering what is important in my life.

Tapatapatapatapatalk

Master
    This one today. I bought it for my father when he went into a home, from this very forum actually. He wore it constantly and loved it, he said it was very similar to the speedmaster that he bought from the naafi in Germany about 1962/3. Its the one he is wearing in his wetsuit in the photo. Sadly he passed last month and so now its mine and will never be moved on.

Very recent arrival

This for me today. Not my dads watch, but my grandads. He wasn’t a watch guy and this was worn for everything and stopped working a fair few years before he passed away, when my father gave me the watch as a keepsake, it obviously wasn’t working and in pretty poor shape. I had it repaired and thought it would be a nice gesture to give it to my dad, after all, it had been his dads watch.

When I tried to give him the watch he told me the he didn’t want it... he was the one who gave it to my grandad in the first place all those years ago when he didn’t want it any more.

Morning, and a happy Father’s Day to all dads out there!
    I know we normally do the what are you wearing thread on a Friday only. But, being Father’s Day and a special one for me, being the first without my dad here I thought it would be nice to show the watches you are wearing today if they have a sentimental connection to our dads

I’ll start with this one. A watch given to my dad on his 21st in 1963. A lovely but small piece.

Great post, particularly given your circumstances this year; hope you’re getting through the day okay and buoyed by the memories rather than sunk by the loss.

My folks really had to make sacrifices when I imperiously demanded a Tag for my 18th... it’s a watch I’ll never sell and continue to wear it with great pride on days like today, remembering my own late father.

Blog Entries
    My Dad died a long time ago. I do miss him. I still have his watch from 1978. Love you Dad

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    Very recent arrival

Any chance if you have time, to post a few different angles of this watch please Neil. I've been seriously tempted since the announcement last year. Looks the business BTW.
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post

That’s a thing of beauty

Fathers Day watches

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Great post, particularly given your circumstances this year; hope you’re getting through the day okay and buoyed by the memories rather than sunk by the loss.

My folks really had to make sacrifices when I imperiously demanded a Tag for my 18th... it’s a watch I’ll never sell and continue to wear it with great pride on days like today, remembering my own late father.
    Thanks, it’s been a tough day made better by the fact that this year Father’s Day has also fallen on one of my sons birthday.

So after a family BBQ it’s only fitting I continue the tradition and have a beer not with Dad this year but I’ll certainly raise a glass to him and my late mother too.

So what better watch to wear for that than the watch I gifted myself after the completion of my Dads estate. Bought as a memory and treat after a tough time.

Fathers Day watches

.... double post

So what better watch to wear for that than the watch I gifted myself after the completion of my Dads estate. Bought as a memory and treat after a tough time.
    Good work 👍

Already posted in watches I wouldn't trade/sell My Dad's watch he wore throughout my childhood.

This - my mothers engagement present to my father in 1958, restored by Brendan (Webwatchmaker) from this

to this:-