closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Have I bought a lemon?

Apprentice

Have I bought a lemon?

So as a bit of a watch noob I've just bought a watch and I want to know if I paid way over the odds... turns out competitive men should never bid on eBay 😂. I ended up paying 25% over my pre auction maximum. Thankfully that only worked out to be £25 but I'll not be bidding on any Rolex Subs anytime soon just in case...

But back to the watch in hand. It's a Seiko SQ 100 chronograph with a yellow face and Pepsi bezel. It has the original wrist strap and the face is in good condition but the drawback is that the bezel insert is worn. I thought that I could pick up another insert easily enough but I havent seen any for sale.

So does this watch have any value? I bought it because I like it but is it a complete dud? I paid £100 for it...

Apprentice
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/5eeB3y7nMEiGUhV88

Hopefully this links a couple of photos from the seller...

Master
    Based on the colour of the dial I would say yes, that's a lemon

Sorry. Wrong everything :-(

Humble apology: It does appear to be a 7123-823A as others have said. Not one I'd seen before hence my feeling it was a fraken. That said, it does appear that the bracelet is incorrect. The bezel insert looks fine for its age and you'd be incredibly lucky to find a better or NOS replacement, so just accept it for what it is.

If it works ok, maybe put it on a nicer strap or bracelet and enjoy it. At a hundred pounds you're not out of pocket.
    Last edited by Mouse; 16th June 2019 at 11:42.

Welcome to the forum.
    Why not i introduce yourself and let us know a bit more about your interest in watches :)

Welcome to the forum,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    If you bought a Citroen, that would be a lemon! Oh No! thats a citron! :)

If you bought it because you liked it then that’s all that matters to you, if you feel you have spent over the odds in a bidding war then lesson learned on a relatively cheap watch.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

FWIW, I like that a lot... perfect summer/weekend watch. Looks fine with that insert.

Master
    I like it - if it works and you’re happy with it then there’s no issue. Don’t expect to sell it for a profit!

Lots of vintage seiko fans seem to like the weathered bezel look - keeps it looking original.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    It’s a perfectly respectable Seiko from the late seventies or early eighties which has rock solid build quality and a perfectly good movement. My only worry is that the day and date don’t seem to line up correctly. This might just be an unfortunate picture, but if not declared and an issue would be grounds for returning it. Frankly, you’d have paid over the odds by a fair bit if you were experienced with watches, knew all about and so on, but for your first eBay watch you have done far far better than most. If the day date is ok, and it may not be as some Seiko of this period had plastic wheels that lose teeth, then keep it and enjoy, if not then return it with an undeclared fault. eBay will support you I suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    ...My only worry is that the day and date don’t seem to line up correctly.
    If the photo was taken at 1:25 a.m. then the day could well be still changing over.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    eBay will support you I suspect.
    More so if ithad been described as a 'chronograph'...

Master
    Very nice vintage Seiko quartz mid/late 80’s.

Model reference is seiko 7123-823A.

Love the orangey/gold dials on these and I I agree day is probably in process of changing over which can happen quite some time after the day change.

Cool watch, enjoy it.

Neil

Open a case with eBay and return it for a refund

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by neil-c-8 View Post
    ...turns out competitive men should never bid on eBay. I ended up paying 25% over my pre auction maximum...
    One word: Gixen

Master

Why are people saying wrong everything?

Only thing I can see out of place is the bracelet.

Looks like a relatively rare gold dial 7123. Bezel insert is going to be faded, it’s an old survivor.

Suck it up, you bought it off the pics I’m sure? Sorry but kind of annoys me having been on the receiving end of drunk/accidentally bid/bid too much/my son bid/my cat pressed buy it now eBay buyers and people just saying send it back. Take the responsibility as it looks a nice watch, the bezel is pretty cool and far better than a replica insert you’d find. Unless one of the selling points was an original bracelet then it’s fine.

Get a generic tropic strap for it and wear it as a cool little beater.

A lemon is watch that keeps failing to work despite being mended repeatedly. So, no, you haven't.

If in the future it turns out that your sole bit of painful education was paying £25 more than ideal for a good-looking watch that works, you'll have done very well.

Apprentice
    Thanks for the replies guys. Firstly I bought the watch because like it and it's not dangerous money. I know enough about watches to know that the difference is whether or not is needs a service - if it needs a service it was very expensive, if it can be worn as is then it may have been slightly dear but I like it so to me it worth it.

I also noticed the day/date alignment and hope that the photo was taken at 1am so it's just changing over but time will tell.

I had noticed that the strap didnt look 100% but I thought that was just the photos. The seller did claim that it was an original strap in the sale. The seller is a small antiques shop and give 14 day returns if you're not happy but to be honest as long as it is similar to the photos I won't return it.

The watch is a 7123 823A. I know that parts are next to non existent without buying a doner piece. And I'll probably just wear it without spending the money on a service. Maybe I'll attempt it myself in time - I do some electronic engineering so although not familiar with watches I can use small fine equipment but we'll see.

From the serial number the watch is dated as April 79 or April 89. Does anyone know anything about which decade it could be from? I'm not a watch buff to be able to tell the difference.

This goes into my very humble collection as watch number 3. The other watches are a Daniel Wellington dress watch which I really enjoy wearing and a Citizen Argos chronograph with a black face and aftermarket black leather strap as a Breitling Navitimer homage. Plans for the future are to build up a humble collection of sub £300 vintage watches that I like and hopefully complement that with a few more higher quality items. Top of my list are a Nomos of some sort and a Breitling Navitimer.

I would suggest 1979, I don’t think Seiko used SQ on the dial as late as 1989.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Apprentice
    Thanks JasonM that's what I thought from my limited research but I wasn't sure. 👍

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Welcome to the forum.
    Why not i introduce yourself and let us know a bit more about your interest in watches :)
    Does it cause you great concern that he hasn't done that........really,it doesn't bother me,not something I'd even have in my mind!.

Its a watch forum,he asked a question about a watch,what he owns or likes is another topic for another time if he decides to post on those subjects.

Why is it some people find something to pick and poke at?.If it upsets you that much then just move along quietly...........as hard as it must be try resist a negative response.

He obviously has an interest in watches........he's joined TZ!.

Thanks for the replies guys. Firstly I bought the watch because like it and it's not dangerous money. I know enough about watches to know that the difference is whether or not is needs a service - if it needs a service it was very expensive, if it can be worn as is then it may have been slightly dear but I like it so to me it worth it.

I also noticed the day/date alignment and hope that the photo was taken at 1am so it's just changing over but time will tell.

I had noticed that the strap didnt look 100% but I thought that was just the photos. The seller did claim that it was an original strap in the sale. The seller is a small antiques shop and give 14 day returns if you're not happy but to be honest as long as it is similar to the photos I won't return it.

The watch is a 7123 823A. I know that parts are next to non existent without buying a doner piece. And I'll probably just wear it without spending the money on a service. Maybe I'll attempt it myself in time - I do some electronic engineering so although not familiar with watches I can use small fine equipment but we'll see.

From the serial number the watch is dated as April 79 or April 89. Does anyone know anything about which decade it could be from? I'm not a watch buff to be able to tell the difference.

This goes into my very humble collection as watch number 3. The other watches are a Daniel Wellington dress watch which I really enjoy wearing and a Citizen Argos chronograph with a black face and aftermarket black leather strap as a Breitling Navitimer homage. Plans for the future are to build up a humble collection of sub £300 vintage watches that I like and hopefully complement that with a few more higher quality items. Top of my list are a Nomos of some sort and a Breitling Navitimer.
    Good man - into it with your eyes open and as pointed out above have likely done alright. In terms of the next moves, you’ll certainly not be disappointed with Nomos, I had one for a while and they’re super watches.

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Does it cause you great concern that he hasn't done that........really,it doesn't bother me,not something I'd even have in my mind!.

Its a watch forum,he asked a question about a watch,what he owns or likes is another topic for another time if he decides to post on those subjects.

Why is it some people find something to pick and poke at?.If it upsets you that much then just move along quietly...........as hard as it must be try resist a negative response.

He obviously has an interest in watches........he's joined TZ!.
    No concern, no negatives :)

Apprentice
    So watch arrived today. Initially it seemed that the watch was as described and it fitted me perfectly without need for adjusyment. When the watch was on I felt it wore really well.

All was going well until I went to correct the date and time - the date was 12 and a half days out a d the time was 4 minutes slow. As a unscrewed the crown to pop it out the entire crown and stem came out in my hand! I put it back in but there was no way to adjust the time. Sadly I had to send a message to the seller. Within 15 minutes they had sent me a paid postage label to return the item.

Feeling a bit gutted because I love the look of the watch.

Craftsman
    Just put it on a nato and enjoy the watch. Next time you want to buy a watch go onto the WTB here and you should be inundated with helpful responses, good luck !

Quote Originally Posted by browjam View Post
    Just put it on a nato and enjoy the watch. Next time you want to buy a watch go onto the WTB here and you should be inundated with helpful responses, good luck !
    Yes, just wear it twice a day.

Quote Originally Posted by browjam View Post
    Sadly, these don't fit on NATOs. I've even bought the thinnest, flimsiest one I could find, but the gap between the springbar and the lugs just isn't big enough to accommodate.

Can't you simply 'suck it and see'?
    And thus learn the 'bitter' truth,,
    Last edited by number2; 20th June 2019 at 09:14.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Grand Master
    what shape and color is it........could be an orange,in that case its a fake Lemon.

Craftsman
    So as a bit of a watch noob I've just bought a watch and I want to know if I paid way over the odds... turns out competitive men should never bid on eBay . I ended up paying 25% over my pre auction maximum. Thankfully that only worked out to be £25 but I'll not be bidding on any Rolex Subs anytime soon just in case...

But back to the watch in hand. It's a Seiko SQ 100 chronograph with a yellow face and Pepsi bezel. It has the original wrist strap and the face is in good condition but the drawback is that the bezel insert is worn. I thought that I could pick up another insert easily enough but I havent seen any for sale.

So does this watch have any value? I bought it because I like it but is it a complete dud? I paid £100 for it...
    I quite like it and personally prefer it with the worn bezel insert as it looks its age. Just my opinion

Not sure what the going rate is for these but I don't think you overpaid too badly.

Looks very similar to my 1972 Pogue