closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Review: Omega Seamaster Diver 300 co-axial master chronometer rebooted (43.5mm)

Threaded View

Blog Entries

Review: Omega Seamaster Diver 300 co-axial master chronometer rebooted (43.5mm)

Omega Seamaster Diver 300 co-axial master chronometer 43.5mm

My history with the Seamaster 300
    I remember 1994 and getting an Omega Seamaster 2541.80 quartz version of the SMP with it's blue dial. I have briefly owned a 2531.80 the automatic equivalent but it left soon after. Not sure why. The 2541 was my first 'proper' watch. I experimented with the 120m multi-function and then the X-33 - that's how it all began I guess.

I have had others:

but all have left my fold, until the addition of this one:

Initial Impressions
    This version, even though expanding on the slight larger 42mm cased re-edition of the SM 300 measuring in at 43.5mm, does not make a great difference in size. I think this is because of the ceramic case merging into the bracelet (or visa-versa). Of course the biggest difference for me is the removal of the date at 6pm. Now the dial is perfectly symmetrically balanced. It is a monochrome watch - all blacks and whites, the enamel numerals contrast highly against the ceramic bezel. I really like the waves on this one - apparently they are the reverse method from the 2018 version.

It feels very well balanced on the wrist - although slightly thicker at 14.2mm because of the wider case it is well balanced. The lug with is 21mm, slightly larger than the 20mm SMP 300M diver. The rubber strap is the same style as before with the tram lines matt finished against the shinier rubber. The strap against the wrist is slightly scalloped. This version has a highly polished ceramic clasp and pin buckle

The quality is up there in terms of finish. The hands apparently brushed finished match the titanium and the luminous plots are dropped onto the face looking like they are encased in the same material as the hands. The waves are laser etched reverse to the 2018 models which I think look better in this model. The watch face is ceramic and indicated so with a subtle inscription below the hand pivot point.

Movement
    This has Omega's advanced METAS tested movement Caliber 8806 (Cat.1b). Quote, "Self-winding movement with a Co-Axial escapement. Certified Master Chronometer, approved by METAS, resistant to magnetic fields reaching 15,000 gauss. Free sprung-balance with silicon balance spring, automatic winding in both directions. Special luxury finish with rhodium-plated rotor and bridges with Geneva waves in arabesque." Scalloped finish - the back is Titanium with sapphire case back - NAIAD locking ensures the wording is always aligned. This of course is 300m wrt - not too fancy writing on the case back which I prefer.

You can see the modified He escape valve - which is operational underwater - and is quintessential Omega 300M, as the cyclops is to Rolex. More marketing than function - but I did spot a 300M diver on a recent documentary film with compression divers (so I guess they still get used).

The crown is also Titanium against the Ceramic case. The bezel scallops are Titanium. Hope you can see this here:

Great watch. Superbly executed. Final wrist shot

Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 16th June 2019 at 14:51.