closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Review: Omega Seamaster Diver 300 co-axial master chronometer rebooted (43.5mm)

Blog Entries

Review: Omega Seamaster Diver 300 co-axial master chronometer rebooted (43.5mm)

Omega Seamaster Diver 300 co-axial master chronometer 43.5mm

My history with the Seamaster 300
    I remember 1994 and getting an Omega Seamaster 2541.80 quartz version of the SMP with it's blue dial. I have briefly owned a 2531.80 the automatic equivalent but it left soon after. Not sure why. The 2541 was my first 'proper' watch. I experimented with the 120m multi-function and then the X-33 - that's how it all began I guess.

I have had others:

but all have left my fold, until the addition of this one:

Initial Impressions
    This version, even though expanding on the slight larger 42mm cased re-edition of the SM 300 measuring in at 43.5mm, does not make a great difference in size. I think this is because of the ceramic case merging into the bracelet (or visa-versa). Of course the biggest difference for me is the removal of the date at 6pm. Now the dial is perfectly symmetrically balanced. It is a monochrome watch - all blacks and whites, the enamel numerals contrast highly against the ceramic bezel. I really like the waves on this one - apparently they are the reverse method from the 2018 version.

It feels very well balanced on the wrist - although slightly thicker at 14.2mm because of the wider case it is well balanced. The lug with is 21mm, slightly larger than the 20mm SMP 300M diver. The rubber strap is the same style as before with the tram lines matt finished against the shinier rubber. The strap against the wrist is slightly scalloped. This version has a highly polished ceramic clasp and pin buckle

The quality is up there in terms of finish. The hands apparently brushed finished match the titanium and the luminous plots are dropped onto the face looking like they are encased in the same material as the hands. The waves are laser etched reverse to the 2018 models which I think look better in this model. The watch face is ceramic and indicated so with a subtle inscription below the hand pivot point.

Movement
    This has Omega's advanced METAS tested movement Caliber 8806 (Cat.1b). Quote, "Self-winding movement with a Co-Axial escapement. Certified Master Chronometer, approved by METAS, resistant to magnetic fields reaching 15,000 gauss. Free sprung-balance with silicon balance spring, automatic winding in both directions. Special luxury finish with rhodium-plated rotor and bridges with Geneva waves in arabesque." Scalloped finish - the back is Titanium with sapphire case back - NAIAD locking ensures the wording is always aligned. This of course is 300m wrt - not too fancy writing on the case back which I prefer.

You can see the modified He escape valve - which is operational underwater - and is quintessential Omega 300M, as the cyclops is to Rolex. More marketing than function - but I did spot a 300M diver on a recent documentary film with compression divers (so I guess they still get used).

The crown is also Titanium against the Ceramic case. The bezel scallops are Titanium. Hope you can see this here:

Great watch. Superbly executed. Final wrist shot

Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 16th June 2019 at 14:51.

Thanks for taking the time to review the watch.
    It is certainly a looker.

This is the the finest looking Speedmaster they have made in the modern era, I love the omission of the date as well as the wave detail and scratch proof black case.

Congratulations on a Stunning watch

Blog Entries
    thank you for taking the time to read!

i forgot the lume shot. Notice Omega have made the cool feature of different colour for the important minute hand and bezel pip for easy reference. And the double bar for 12 (carryovers from the SMP DNA from when it first appeared in this guise) makes it possible to unambiguously know the orientation.

The bezel is fully indexes (in enamel) as a proper diver should be.

Martyn

Omega have been doing the colour matched hour hand and bezel pip for a while.
    It looks great in pictures and when you first enter a dark room but in reality I find the colours blend in to one very quickly, at least they do on my SM300MC. How do you rate the brightness of the lume?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Omega have been doing the colour matched hour hand and bezel pip for a while.
    It looks great in pictures and when you first enter a dark room but in reality I find the colours blend in to one very quickly, at least they do on my SM300MC. How do you rate the brightness of the lume?
    I find the lume great runs all night long and can be seen at 3am to check the insomnia. I don’t find I can differentiate colours at low levels but will have another look. It does look good in photos though!
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 16th June 2019 at 09:53.

Journeyman
    This is a great watch.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Nice review of a stunning looking watch , thanks for posting .

Great review thank you for taking the time to post it. Lovely watch! One question you said it comes on the Rubber strap are are any other factory offerings for straps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Too big for me and I’m not a fan of ceramic cases but I do think Omega have really nailed it with the latest SMP 300. Subtle updates which work well and reference the original iterations of the SMP 300.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    Great review thank you for taking the time to post it. Lovely watch! One question you said it comes on the Rubber strap are are any other factory offerings for straps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There is an alternative with the black nato with white central strap.

Craftsman
    Lovely watch and a good review, never noticed the different colours of lume before!!!! Love it... I still own my trusty bond seamaster, my first proper watch!

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Great review, looks amazing. Thanks for that, nice Sunday reading.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Great review.

Definitely the nicest version of the current model to date.

I'd like a bracelet option though. The price does niggle slightly, but that's what you get with the materials used. I wonder if the lovely DSOTM strap and deployant would fit well.
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Great review.

I'd like a bracelet option though. The price does niggle slightly, but that's what you get with the materials used. I wonder if the lovely DSOTM strap and deployant would fit well.
    This is 43.5mm and 21mm lug size - might fit - but the case height is I think a little different. If you have one we could meet for a beer and try?

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Great review.

I think the dial is lovely and the case size is perfect IMO but am not a fan of dark grey/black case. Having handled both I chose the slightly smaller SS 42 mm version simply because of the case. Nothing against ceramic but just think SS works better with the dial. DSOTM strap should work with this.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    This is 43.5mm and 21mm lug size - might fit - but the case height is I think a little different. If you have one we could meet for a beer and try?
    I do have the DSOTM on deployant - I think it might be a good match - but I'm not close to South at the minute. Due back British Isles tomorrow, but then need to get to Jersey and Gibraltar for business over the next week or two. Definitely need to meet up for a beer at some stage though.

Scott
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Great review and a great watch :-)

Cool watch, the lume shot is selling it very well. And looks great on wrist. Happy to see reviews are posted more often again on TZ-UK.
    Why did you part with the older Seamasters, especially the Watchco 300?

Craftsman
    Excellent review, thanks for penning it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Stunning watch. I reckon OMEGA have nailed it

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Agreed plus you can actually buy one.

Journeyman
    Great review lovely watch very tempted

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witti View Post
    Cool watch, the lume shot is selling it very well. And looks great on wrist. Happy to see reviews are posted more often again on TZ-UK.
    Why did you part with the older Seamasters, especially the Watchco 300?

Don’t know if you’ve been over the the Review section - you are welcome to browse my other reviews. The watcho passed through my little collection a long time ago - back into the TZ fold. I probably had to let it go to fund another watch.

All the best!

Martyn.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 20th June 2019 at 20:03.