closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Mobile internet to replace broadband?

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    what on earth are you doing to chew through 650gb?!
    God knows, but we do, just checked my Giffgaff account and we used 815Gb last month. Kids are constantly streaming stuff, me too most evenings. Working from home, so on teams half the day, steaming music when I'm not in a meeting, downloading CAD files etc. 2 Xbox one's don't help either, turned mine on last night and 4 games needed an update, 20-50 GB a piece, I suspect they're the biggest use.
    Last edited by Brighty; 18th June 2021 at 00:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    God knows, but we do, just checked my Giffgaff account and we used 815Gb last month. Kids are constantly streaming stuff, me too most evenings. Working from home, so on teams half the day, steaming music when I'm not in a meeting, downloading CAD files etc. 2 Xbox one's don't help either, turned mine on last night and 4 games needed an update, 20-50 GB a piece, I suspect they're the biggest use.
    Ah, kids, gaming and streaming will do it. I have an Xbox too and each time I turn it on it wants a massive update.

I had to reset my entire network 5 days ago and since then even my doorbell has done 39gb.

My phone picked up a 5G signal for the first time yesterday. Did a speed check and I was getting 800 down and 600 up. Now THAT'S the future.

I'm sure it will slow down when it's being used by more people, but it was blisteringly fast.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    My phone picked up a 5G signal for the first time yesterday. Did a speed check and I was getting 800 down and 600 up. Now THAT'S the future.
    Just shades my Plusnet fibre service - 25 on a good day!!

Will fibre still be a thing in a few years?

To update this thread. At my previous home I used the 4G networks for several years as my Internet solution and it was good and reliable. I'm about to move into a modern apartment in Cheltenham where the Vodafone 5G signal is extremely strong. A few weekends ago I walked around the apartment and conducted speed tests using my iPhone. The results: greater than 310Mbps download and 70Mbps upload speeds for £20/month. I've already purchased a 5G router, that will be used in Bridge/Modem only mode and connected to a Google WiFi mesh network.

I've just had a 3/Hutchinson 5G pole put up about 200 metres away.
    I guess I would receive a decent signal.
    I'll have to get a 3/ID/Smarty SIM and road test it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    To update this thread. At my previous home I used the 4G networks for several years as my Internet solution and it was good and reliable. I'm about to move into a modern apartment in Cheltenham where the Vodafone 5G signal is extremely strong. A few weekends ago I walked around the apartment and conducted speed tests using my iPhone. The results: greater than 310Mbps download and 70Mbps upload speeds for £20/month. I've already purchased a 5G router, that will be used in Bridge/Modem only mode and connected to a Google WiFi mesh network.
    I am going to try something similar. Just ordered a ZTE 5G CPE MC888 off Amazon, test with a 20€ for unlimited Vodafone 15days SIM. I have a Tplink mesh setup but only getting 40Mbps max should get much better on 5g with transmitters in view.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    I’ve just returned my Three 5G home broadband router. I had to put it on the windowsill at the back of my house to get a decent signal but my comms room is at the front. Also had to reboot it every few days to get webpages. I really wanted this to work, especially at £20 a month!

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    I’ve just returned my Three 5G home broadband router. I had to put it on the windowsill at the back of my house to get a decent signal but my comms room is at the front. Also had to reboot it every few days to get webpages. I really wanted this to work, especially at £20 a month!
    Then you need a decent 5G router and a Mesh setup to move the signal around your home. Any WiFi router would struggle in that situation regardless of whether 5G or not. I only have experience of one 5G router, the Zyxel NR5101 (LINK) but it's entirely positive. The setup uses some odd language but once understood all is fine. If I were to rely on that I would get no signal in my living room so I have a Google WiFi mesh network to give a strong signal throughout my home.

You have to have realistic expectations of what a 4G/5G router can provide, and that is a decent speed into your home when internet via the phone line is a poor option. What happens beyond that point has nothing to do with the 4G/5G option. There are loads of mesh network options that cure the precise problem you describe.
    Last edited by Skier; 16th June 2023 at 08:41.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    Then you need a decent 5G router and a Mesh setup to move the signal around your home. Any WiFi router would struggle in that situation regardless of whether 5G or not. I only have experience of one 5G router, the Zyxel NR5101 (LINK) but it's entirely positive. The setup uses some odd language but once understood all is fine. If I were to rely on that I would get no signal in my living room so I have a Google WiFi mesh network to give a strong signal throughout my home.

You have to have realistic expectations of what a 4G/5G router can provide, and that is a decent speed into your home when internet via the phone line is a poor option. What happens beyond that point has nothing to do with the 4G/5G option. There are loads of mesh network options that cure the precise problem you describe.
    I've got a mesh network with ethernet backhaul. The issue is 5g reception anywhere but a particular window sill. I could buy a 4 lead mimo 5g external aerial but CBA as what I've already got works perfectly.

Rather than start a new thread.....

I've got a work flat that I live in for half the year and am looking at getting a SIM only broadband deal.
    It will only be used for watching TV and my phone when I'm there, but I want it to be on all the time for my Ring doorbell.
    Just wondering if anyone does anything similar and if it works ok.
    I'm not even sure how much data I'd require at the moment.
    Happy to tie in to a 24 month contract for the right deal.

Thanks for any advice.

Whether it's a 'work flat' or a main home is largely irrelevant. I would assume that a work flat will be in a town and likely to have a good signal but you need to check. First question to answer is which mobile providers have a good 4G or 5G signal at the property. This can be the trickiest part as you need SIMs from different providers or friends that use different networks. If there's no 5G there is no point in spending more on a 5G router unless you're confident 5G will be delivered soon. After that, choose a router/modem. My advice would be to always buy one that has the option to be put into 'Bridge Mode' i.e. operate as a modem only so that you can easily add a mesh solution if necessary. Next, determine where in the property to locate it to get the best signal. Then determine whether you need a mesh network to get good, strong WiFi around the property.

Quote Originally Posted by Chukas View Post
    …but I want it to be on all the time for my Ring doorbell.
    My previous experience of 4G routers is overwhelmingly positive (see previous posts in this and other threads).

However, ISTR that it was never the most reliable of connections and the router would need resetting on a semi-regular basis. That might not be great for your Ring doorbell.