closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mobile internet to replace broadband?

Master

Mobile internet to replace broadband?

With a following wind we will be moving into rented accommodation for 2-3 months while our new house is being refurbished. I'd like to keep costs down during this period and hopefully avoid installing a landline and subscribing to broadband. However we do need internet and I was wondering whether a mobile 4G solution might work. What are peoples' experiences of using a 4G wireless router? Which brand of router and which 4G sim provider should I be considering? Thanks!

Personally if it's temporary, and your not relying on a super fast link for work purposes I would get this:

TP-Link M7350 4G LTE MiFi, Portable Wi-Fi for Travel, Unlocked Mobile Wi-Fi Hotspot (Easy management with tpMiFi App) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XC16Q..._E8rbDb2Y624GW

And then this:

Three Mobile Pay As You Go Mobile Broadband 24 GB Data SIM https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M3VJ2..._S9rbDbZ1VNKQP

I use one regularly and can't fault it - just leave it on charge 24/7.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post
    With a following wind we will be moving into rented accommodation for 2-3 months while our new house is being refurbished. I'd like to keep costs down during this period and hopefully avoid installing a landline and subscribing to broadband. However we do need internet and I was wondering whether a mobile 4G solution might work. What are peoples' experiences of using a 4G wireless router? Which brand of router and which 4G sim provider should I be considering? Thanks!
    I had a 3 mobile 4 g router last year and it was flawless. I was getting really good speeds .
    They have deals on for about £25 a month which is very good value .Ah , just seen the 2-3 months bit. In that case, s post above
    Last edited by thegoat; 15th June 2019 at 17:52.

Depending on the coverage and your plans for when you return to your house, you could take a contract with Three and get unlimited 4G (not truly unlimited, apparently they get antsy if you are using more than 1,000GB a month). We did this for £51/mth and got a Huawei P30 Pro on contract, then bought one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Its been brilliant, better than BT Infiniti and because I wanted the P30 cheaper too.

I've been thinking of binning BT for some time and have been doing a trial with 4G to see if it gives the reliability and speeds I need. For a fixed installation I have and use a TP Link AC750 4G LTE modem (although I'm not sure there's any modulating/demodulating going on, probably all stays in the digital domain nevertheless that's what they still call them).

For portable use I have a Netgear MR1100 which is an ace bit of kit. You can run it from the mains without the battery in 24/7. Pricey, but wow.

Out of the Netgear I can get 45Mbps. Not too shabby for a weak reception area. As soon as you are in a strong signal it's super good. I've been using a 30-day EE SIM with 5G which was £7.50

I need to try the other operators, voda, three and the other one.

Good idea. There are coverage maps on all the players' websites so check your (proposed) postcode for the best. I have found that if one provider is bad in an area they all tend to be bad and conversely if one is good, all of them will probably be good .

I can recommend what Goat says I also had a three mobile router excellent. I dont know what the speeds where as did nt test but worked very well for my phone, laptop missus mobile and ipad

i still have the router, if you want i can send it to you , just put a donation to the Fundraiser .You just need a Sim and away you go.

PM me for details

I’ve been using a Three 4G unlimited sim for the past 3 years. £27pm and it’s pretty reliable. It’s also only a 30 day contract. (Do a search - it has come up plenty of times before).

If Vodafone is your only potential provider (it is for my parents, unfortunately), they have recently released their GigaCube. £65 for 300GB pm, also on a 30 day contract. Seems to be pretty reliable so far.

I ditched my BT line 16 months ago and use the EE 4G network for my Internet. It's far faster than I could get via my landline (there's no fibre where I am in rural Gloucestershire) and it has been 100% reliable. The 4G route is reliable and quick assuming you get a decent signal but for your situation you need to look into contracts as clearly you're not looking for 12/18/24 months.

I have a 3 contract for unlimited wifi on my mobile, and simply put the sim in a huawei e586 mifi dongle.
    Whole family gets wifi (up to 5 users) every day, all for £16 pm plus vat.

I would defo bin BT, been rubbish for me.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

After a couple of trials, I installed my (permanent) 4G LTE router and Three (unlimited data) SIM last week. So far, I am very impressed.

Three is the default provider choice if you are a heavy data user and can get a decent signal, as it offers the only unlimited service which suited my data useage (which is HEAVY). No other providers could offer the data limit that I needed.

I use a TP-Link AC350 (Archer MR200) and have jumped from around 3mbs with BT broadband to 80mbs with Three using 4G. I signed up for a 2 year deal with Three and it was £20/mth with unlimited calls, texts and data, but I will never use the calls and texts as it is a data only that I want. They also do a month by month deal which may suit you better, but their prices to go up and down all over the place as each month passes.

My external antenna should arrive next week, so that should improve speeds a bit further still.

For me, as someone who lives in a very rural location and is fortunate to have a good Three 4G LTE data signal, this is so far a complete no-brainer.

Blog Entries
    Really interesting thread

I’m about to renew

So…. Please confirm I have this right someone!

One of these for my 4G

https://store.three.co.uk/view/conte...nA&aff_id=1355

One of these as a home hub

Huawei B315-4G/ LTE 150 Mbps Mobile Wi-Fi Router, Unlocked to all Networks- Genuine UK Warranty stock (non network logo)- White https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B013P15G..._g2IbDb5TYSCNM

One of these when I’m travelling

Huawei E5573Cs-322, 4G Low Cost Travel Hotspot, Roams on all world networks, no configuration required, Genuine UK Warranty stock - White https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0179F9F..._pcJbDbFB1S7R8

In summary

I can completely ditch my land line (I don’t even have a phone plugged in)

I can run all my sky, Netflix, various phones and smart enabled device off this home hub

When we go on holiday I can pop the sim into a mi fi thing and use as a hotspot

Why didn’t I do this ages ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

In summary

I can run all my sky, Netflix, various phones and smart enabled device off this home hub

The first link would not work for me, but your summary just about wraps it up.

Why didnt we do it before? Probably because the packages (ie data caps) that make 4G a viable alternative are only just being offered. And unlike most remote rural broadband, the mobile networks are improving their infrastructure all the time. 18 months ago, there was no Three signal at my property at all, not even a phone signal.

It is a bit unsettling moving away from a hard-wired service to be honest, particularly for those who rely heavily on their broadband connection for work or whatever. I am running both (ie wired and 4G) in tandem for 6 months to see how it goes.
    Last edited by Maysie; 16th June 2019 at 13:51. Reason: Typo

Yes, all good Wolfie.

You don't really need the second 4G modem, just take the 315 with you. It is an excellent unit, it throws a stronger signal through the house than the BT HomeHub 6 ever did and because its not tethered to a phone line you can place it optimally so the wifi signal is consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

I’m about to renew

So…. Please confirm I have this right someone!

One of these for my 4G

https://store.three.co.uk/view/conte...nA&aff_id=1355

One of these as a home hub

Huawei B315-4G/ LTE 150 Mbps Mobile Wi-Fi Router, Unlocked to all Networks- Genuine UK Warranty stock (non network logo)- White https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B013P15G..._g2IbDb5TYSCNM

One of these when I’m travelling

Huawei E5573Cs-322, 4G Low Cost Travel Hotspot, Roams on all world networks, no configuration required, Genuine UK Warranty stock - White https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0179F9F..._pcJbDbFB1S7R8

In summary

Out of interest, does it work in the US I wonder?

Master
    Thank you so much everyone - once again the forum at its best. I shall digest all of this and it seems like there is a good way forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo12 View Post
    I can recommend what Goat says I also had a three mobile router excellent. I dont know what the speeds where as did nt test but worked very well for my phone, laptop missus mobile and ipad

i still have the router, if you want i can send it to you , just put a donation to the Fundraiser .You just need a Sim and away you go.

PM me for details
    That really is most kind - thank you. I'll investigate the route to take over the next few weeks and then may come back to you. Thanks again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    The first link would not work for me, but your summary just about wraps it up.

Why didnt we do it before? Probably because the packages (ie data caps) that make 4G a viable alternative are only just being offered. And unlike most remote rural broadband, the mobile networks are improving their infrastructure all the time. 18 months ago, there was no Three signal at my property at all, not even a phone signal.

It is a bit unsettling moving away from a hard-wired service to be honest, particularly for those who rely heavily on their broadband connection for work or whatever. I am running both (ie wired and 4G) in tandem for 6 months to see how it goes.
    I don’t work from home to often anymore - once or twice a month…. I prefer the separation of home from work…. So, it’s just about enabling WiFi related bits around the house… and streaming services…. 4G is a lot more solid than my WiFi frankly…. So i’ll Fully commit I think!

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Yes, all good Wolfie.

You don't really need the second 4G modem, just take the 315 with you. It is an excellent unit, it throws a stronger signal through the house than the BT HomeHub 6 ever did and because its not tethered to a phone line you can place it optimally so the wifi signal is consistent.
    4G modem travel thing is battery powered, so, potentially quite handy when going away…. I don’t have to lug round a big router…

I achieve the second bit by having a secondary router (apple airport thing) hard wired through Ethernet in the centre of the home…. I won’t need that any longer as I can just use the 4G router

Master
    Thanks again for all the information. A further question if I may:

Is it possible to use a Three unlimited sim phone plan in a mobile router:

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Plans_for_phones

I appreciate that technically it should work but would this contravene the T&C which seem to suggest the phone can be used as a hotspot (but for only up to 30gb on the unlimited)?

Master
    Currently without a line in the new house so using a Smarty unlimited sim in a router and it's working fine.

Master
    Thanks again for all the information. A further question if I may:

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Plans_for_phones

I appreciate that technically it should work but would this contravene the T&C which seem to suggest the phone can be used as a hotspot (but for only up to 30gb on the unlimited)?
    The feedback I get is the '3' unlimited data sims are either for phone or the 3-supplied el-crap mifi product and, when used in a different product/router, then it either doesn't work at al, or is slow, or works for a few months and then slows/dies. I think the bottom line is '3' don't mind selling you unlimited data as long as you don't use it! ;-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Coot View Post
    Currently without a line in the new house so using a Smarty unlimited sim in a router and it's working fine.
    Thanks for the tip. This provider (who piggyback three) have a stonking unlimited 30 day deal right now.

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    The feedback I get is the '3' unlimited data sims are either for phone or the 3-supplied el-crap mifi product and, when used in a different product/router, then it either doesn't work at al, or is slow, or works for a few months and then slows/dies. I think the bottom line is '3' don't mind selling you unlimited data as long as you don't use it! ;-)
    Before I committed to using a Three unlimited data plan bought on contract with a phone I called and quired this. I told them what I was planning to do and they said there was no issue in doing so. I also asked about how unlimited 'unlimited' really is and was advised they start to get a bit twitchy if you are exceeding 1000GB a month regularly. We have probably been on Three's 4G data plan through a Huawei router for close to two months and it has been spot on.

Hi i am on Three with an iphone 8 and doing speed tests i can get from 30-50 depending on time of day and where i site my phone, if i went down the Three route with a B315 router and a Three data sim could I expect these speeds

Yes.

I’ve been doing exactly this for the past 2 years. And it is unlimited and not ‘throttled’. Some months, the household downloads are 2-300Gb.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    ^^^^ This is not true in my experience.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Smarty (on Three network) are doing an unlimited SIM for £18.75 pm at the moment.

I've just signed up and ordered a TP Link LTE router from Amazon to give it a go. I'm getting 35mb from PlusNet for £40 a month. I get 90mbps on my phone.

Will report back in a week or two.

Sent from my OnePlus 6T using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    £22 on three with £60 cashback on Quidco

Works out @ £17 per month…

BT asking £60 to buy our contract… (ends October and costs me £39 a month). So probably worth it!
    Last edited by Wolfie; 23rd June 2019 at 16:46.

This is exactly what I'm doing as well at the moment.

I'm running both into a Cisco RV-042G running in worker-standby WAN links. No issues with the 4G side at all. I've the other operators' SIMs to check before I commit, but EE was easily coping with my demands (which are quite low) from iplayer.

The Netgear MR1100, while more expensive than some of the Huawei offerings, does everything you could ever need. Take the battery out and connect to the wall for a 'permanent' installation. Replace the battery and put in your bag when you're travelling.

Rather surprised BT haven't seen this coming and responded. Can see lots of copper in the ground being redundant in a few years' time.

Just a quick update on this to keep the info 'live'.

I have a TP-Link MR200 Archer LTE router on Three unlimited data plan. On Sunday I replaced my internal 'bunny ears' aerial with an external Poynting directional aerial in almost exactly the same location as the internal aerial, but fitted outside the window rather than inside the glass (on the window cill). The mast is visible from the window, and is approx 3 miles away.

Speeds vary over the course of the day, but as a general 'average' this is what has happened:

4G Internal aerial on window cill
    Down: 42.4 - 80.6MB/s
    Up: 22.5 - 31.1MB/s
    Ping: 51-59
    Signal strength: Showing as 75-100%

4G External aerial fitted outside window
    Down: 69.5 - 89.6MB/s
    Up: 30.5 - 31.8MB/s
    Ping: 40 - 40
    Signal strength: Showing as 100%

Sky hard wired broadband
    Down: 2.63-3.5MB/s
    Up: 0.07 - 0.56MB/s
    Ping: 33 - 66

If you live in a very rural area with slow broadband (still) and have a reasonable 4G signal, hard-wired home broadband is now dead as a result of the lack of investment in infrastructure and development of viable alternative options.

Should have added, the Three unlimited data sim is £20/mth (2 year contract).
    Last edited by Maysie; 24th June 2019 at 13:36. Reason: Sim cost added. Units corrected

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Rather surprised BT haven't seen this coming and responded. Can see lots of copper in the ground being redundant in a few years' time.
    BT's plan is to go beyond this with hybrid hubs that route signals from 4G/5G and fibre/copper and switch/combine them intelligently based on demand and contention. Their trump card is that they're the only network able to do this with their own fixed and mobile assets, and converged products are going to be their USP. The first consumer hybrid hub is due out later this year, apparently.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    BT's plan is to go beyond this with hybrid hubs that route signals from 4G/5G and fibre/copper and switch/combine them intelligently based on demand and contention. Their trump card is that they're the only network able to do this with their own fixed and mobile assets, and converged products are going to be their USP. The first consumer hybrid hub is due out later this year, apparently.
    Interesting to see how BT do 5G... AFAIK they don't have a licence, although they own EE which does.

Why would anyone want to pay for FTTC or broadband over phoneline if 4G/5G is available, often faster, and cheaper ?

Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    Why would anyone want to pay for FTTC or broadband over phoneline if 4G/5G is available, often faster, and cheaper ?
    Because it won't be faster than a converged/hybrid connection, nor as resilient. Cheaper, sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Thanks for the info.

Can't see how this will help my friend up the road, 2 Mbps on broadband, 40 Mbps on 4G. It'll be like putting a side road next to a motorway. Resilience, yes, we all know how it goes when they shut the motorway.

In my view a hybrid hub is a sticking plaster. It's essentially what I'm doing with the RV042G (it also works load-sharing the two WAN connections) but in one box.

At the end of the day it's the cost that will kill BT broadband. Once upon a time there was the mother of all battles between BT who had the infrastructure but not the content, and Sky who had the content but not the infrastructure.

BT's main asset, it's infrstructure, is ageing and I wouldn't mind betting the spares for the equipment hanging on the ends of the copper are getting hard to source. Maintenance of "the last mile" always was a massive component of their budget. They'll get rid of it and stick to core n/w functions. Their content will drift away on the tide.

BT always were always very cautious and reliant on innovative equipment manufacturing companies to provide them solutions to their problems. Sadly the British companies did not step up to the plate for many reasons. R&D costs are huge. You need to be small enough to be nimble and big enough to cope. You need vision and young management. This played right out of the hands of British companies (Marconi for example) and into the smaller start-ups abroad. Huawei have also thrown everything at this arena.

It's been fascinating if somewhat frustrating to watch the Treasury line it's coffers with funds while rubbing their hands in glee awarding the various 3 and 4G licences out, and then watching the successful companies brandishing their licences while muttering under their breath that it leaves no money to do anything with them.

So anyway, the future of copper in the ground? There isn't one. Just like gas pipes, and in the longer term electricity distribution.

ive been watching this thread with interest as im thinking of getting rid of my Virgin fibre at £23 a month (no landline)

Whilst the virgin seems fast - I don't have much of a need for it - I don't now work from home - nor wish to, and im not renewing NOW tv movies (a 12 month pass I bought on black Friday)
    I don't have Netflix - am not bothered

I use alexa as an alarm clock - that's all - so that can go

SO.... begs the question if I DO need the odd bit of WIFI in the house - how long will 12gb of 4g data go? I also don't get charged for watching SKYGO on my on allowance either
    My much unused data also rolls over too each month

I have used the Vodafone mobile wifi for a few years now both at home and at work, as BT are too incompetent to be able to install broadband and my patience was at breaking point.

They have been fantastic!

Faster than the broadband I used to have, (I live in a rural area, the lines are terrible apparently), the option to take it with you should you need to, and the bonus of not having to give BT any money.

I think I get 60BG a month for £30-40

If you want to watch everything in HD, then it may not work out, but for me it is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    ive been watching this thread with interest as im thinking of getting rid of my Virgin fibre at £23 a month (no landline)

Whilst the virgin seems fast - I don't have much of a need for it - I don't now work from home - nor wish to, and im not renewing NOW tv movies (a 12 month pass I bought on black Friday)
    I don't have Netflix - am not bothered

I use alexa as an alarm clock - that's all - so that can go

SO.... begs the question if I DO need the odd bit of WIFI in the house - how long will 12gb of 4g data go? I also don't get charged for watching SKYGO on my on allowance either
    Increase your mobile phone data plan and use that as a mobile hotspot, might work out cheaper?

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    12Gb won’t go very far at all. If you stream any video (Netflix, iPlayer, YouTube etc), it will be gone in a matter of days. Light to moderate household use is at least 50Gb a month.

I've been using EE's 4G network for my broadband solution for almost 18 months. The contract ends in August and is 200GB/month for £62/month. Having borrowed a 3 Network SIM and found that the reception is far better than the online coverage checker suggests i.e. 4 bars on my iPhone and 80Mbps down/37Mbps up, I've just ordered the SMARTY unlimited SIM that will be £18.75 a month for unlimited data. Winner and thanks for the heads up.
    Last edited by Skier; 4th October 2019 at 20:13.

Journeyman
    You can cut costs but nothing beats a wire. A lot depends on your Internet usage habits... If you cut down on the media/youtube/netflix usage, it's definitely doable without any significant performance difference!

Quote Originally Posted by hrvoje View Post
    You can cut costs but nothing beats a wire. A lot depends on your Internet usage habits... If you cut down on the media/youtube/netflix usage, it's definitely doable without any significant performance difference!
    As I've always been limited by either speed (when with providers using the BT phone line that I no longer have) or data usage (since using EE). I stream TV but don't stream 4K TV. It's what you get used to but in the 17 months since I've used the EE 4G network for my broadband I have experienced zero issues. Using the 4G network offers me massive speeds and now that unlimited data packages are available there's really no need for a fixed line. I should state that as I live in rural Gloucestershire, not in a major city, fibre connectivity simply isn't available. Add to this that I am very happy to be able to rid myself of any reliance on BT, a company that I have grown to dislike over many years.
    Last edited by Skier; 5th July 2019 at 19:42.

The SMARTY unlimited SIM arrived today. It is now activated (done in my iPhone) and installed in the Netgear LB2120 4G Modem that is connected to the Google WiFi Mesh system (4 hubs). All good at this point and I'll report back in a week or so.

To report back on the SMARTY unlimited data SIM in my setup (Netgear LB2120 4G modem/router in bridge mode + 4 Google WiFi hubs for mesh WiFi). Absolutely faultless. I should say that having used EE for 18 months that was also faultless (though expensive), the 4G solution with a provider that offers large/unlimited data is a great solution to poor broadband speeds in rural environments; so much so I have just purchased a 4K TV!

Master
    Similarly to report back (as the op), we moved into our temporary accommodation this weekend, and smartly unlimited 4G and a tp-link MR6400 router works like a charm. We are using the Xbox, laptops, phones, tablets, Amazon Prime and Netflix and I haven't received a single complaint yet. In fact there is no perceivable difference from the speed of the Virgin fibre we had before. Thanks all for your suggestions and insight.

Craftsman
    We are moving next month and looking at getting a smarty sim. Does the price of the unlimited sim fluctuate? It’s £25 a month at the moment. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hrvoje View Post
    This is utter nonsense nowadays in more rural parts of the UK with a decent 4G signal.

My 4G broadband completely and utterly blows my wired connection out of the water in every respect. We still have both connected, but have not used the wired connection at all since switching to 4G.

Quote Originally Posted by Coronet king View Post
    We are moving next month and looking at getting a smarty sim. Does the price of the unlimited sim fluctuate? It’s £25 a month at the moment. Thanks
    A month or so ago there was a SMARTY offer for the unlimited SIM at £18.75/month and I took it. £25 is still excellent value in my opinion, I was just lucky. I couldn't comment on how often SMARTY has these offers as I only became aware of them around 6 weeks ago thanks to this thread.
    Last edited by Skier; 31st July 2019 at 12:43.

This is utter nonsense nowadays in more rural parts of the UK with a decent 4G signal.

My 4G broadband completely and utterly blows my wired connection out of the water in every respect. We still have both connected, but have not used the wired connection at all since switching to 4G.
    Completely agree. I haven't had a landline for 18 months and haven't missed it for a minute.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    A month or so ago there was a SMARTY offer for the unlimited SIM at £18.75/month and I took it. £25 is still excellent value in my opinion, I was just lucky. I couldn't comment on how often SMARTY has these offersas I only became aware of them around 6 weeks ago thanks to this thread.
    Thanks for that. I will have a hunt around to see what’s on offers

Craftsman

Advice please

Any advice more than welcome. We are moving into a house I’ve been renovating for the past year. I had planned to have a phone line that comes in overhead and getting broadband with a landline. After reading this a few weeks ago I’m now leaning more towards using a 4g sim.

So here goes, I have a cat5 cable in the loft that would have been connected to the phone line. This runs down to the family area, another 3 cables for 2 tv’s and the alarm/cctv all end up in the same place.

I have done a speed test on my iPhone which is on the 3 network. I get 27mb/s in the loft and 8mb/s in the family area.

Should I be looking at putting a 4g router in the loft and connecting the cat5 cable then having a splitter in the family area and some kind plug in booster for WiFi downstairs? If you’ve got this far without being bored to death congrats but you might have noticed my plan gets a little sketchy downstairs. So any advice gladly taken.
    Last edited by Coronet king; 2nd August 2019 at 20:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Coronet king View Post
    Any advice more than welcome. We are moving into a house I’ve been renovating for the past year. I had planned to have a phone line that comes in overhead and getting broadband with a landline. After reading this a few weeks ago I’m now leaning more towards using a 4g sim.

So here goes, I have a cat5 cable in the loft that would have been connected to the phone line. This runs down to the family area, another 3 cables for 2 tv’s and the alarm/cctv all end up in the same place.

I have done a speed test on my iPhone which is on the 3 network. I get 27mb/s in the loft and 8mb/s in the family area.

Should I be looking at putting a 4g router in the loft and connecting the cat5 cable then having a splitter in the family area and some kind plug in booster for WiFi downstairs? If you’ve got this far without being bored to death congrats but you might have noticed my plan gets a little sketchy downstairs. So any advice gladly taken.
    Unless your loft is converted I suspect it will get too hot for a router to last very long. Use THIS site to determine where your nearest mast is for various networks. Find a convenient location for your router near a window facing the mast and consider either:

- a cheap internal antenna that you can attach to the window (check the type of connection on your router and buy one with corresponding connectors or buy adapters). I have used one of THESE with great success.

- an external directional antenna if you can mount it facing the relevant mast (within around 30 degrees or so) or an external omni-directional antenna. I went for THIS from our very own Solwisesteve.

I use Devolo Powerline Adapters (dLAN 1200) to get wired internet around the house though fewer and fewer as almost everything is WiFi capable these days.
    Last edited by Skier; 3rd August 2019 at 05:40.

Craftsman
    Unless your loft is converted I suspect it will get too hot for a router to last very long.

Good point skier I didn’t think of that.