closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Expedition prototype

Master
    Blog Entries
    Great work Oliver! I can’t wait till the expedition goes on sale. I love the who vintage style of it

I'm assuming that "Oliver" refers to OliverCD but I'll take it or at least share it with him!

It's hard work begging watches off Eddie and then having to wear them . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post

It's hard work begging watches off Eddie and then having to wear them . . . .
    He is playing the Rolex game of restricting availability to increase market presence.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    He is playing the Rolex game of restricting availability to increase market presence.
    Be a waiting list next

And a ban on selling new TF watches on SC . . . .

You have to already own a Timefactors watch to get one. Holding back warranty cards. Where will it end?
    Last edited by abraxas; 1st July 2019 at 23:40.

You have to already own a Timefactors watch to get one. Holding back warranty cards. Where will it end?
    Has he started removing the stickers yet?
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Timekeeping is at +8 secs a day, not bad for a new movement. I'm expecting it will be even better once it's run-in and settled down a bit.

I think I need to keep this one on long-term test.

The old Smiths are delighted to see their grandchild. Well, all except Morrissey. He said the face isn't white enough . . . .

The old Smiths are delighted to see their grandchild. Well, all except Morrissey. He said the face isn't white enough . . . .
    Brilliant (white)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Expedition prototype

Very good
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Norwegian flag strap, bit late for the 17th of May or maybe early for next year?

(Couldn't quite manage to catch the light on the blued steel hands so you'll just have to imagine it.)

Apologies for the q&d iPhone pics

Blog Entries
    Interesting, too, that they are completely sterile (apart from the Dennison inside the caseback). Whether they were trying pass as (J)LC or anonymous to disguise their provenance (and therefore the fact that we had on-shore wristwatch making capabilities) is an interesting question, bearing in mind that RAF watches could easily fall (literally) into enemy hands.

Finally, another interesting fact: the jewels for these were smuggled from Switzerland via Lisbon in a specially made suit. (They were sewn into the lining of an MA1 operative called Ted Pitman. After the fall of France and before America entered the war we had no access to synthetic rubies and no capacity to make them. Smiths eventually set up a furnace at Carfin in Scotland to turn aluminium oxide into the much-coveted jewels, a place requisitioned to be out of the range of the V1 flying bombs.)

For more info on the smuggling see James Nye's "A Long Time in Making: The History of Smiths" p. 103
    Absolutely fascinating. Thank you for this.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Absolutely fascinating. Thank you for this.
    You're welcome. I don't know much about much but I know a bit about Smiths.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I keep looking at the "shadow" one and the real one side by side.

I really really like the shadow one but I think -- although I'm not sure -- that the real one is better.

That was really quite something though, and I must say it really made a difference and captured the "Hillary" / Benson dial beautifully.

But with the minty lume and the Omega orange seconds hand the more modern "unshadowed" version has it by a whisker.

Still, a version of this with a flat dial, shadowed numbers, blued steel seconds hand without the lollipop and vintage vanilla lume would be a pretty bloody perfect.

The Smiths Hillary? (Or is that a legal nightmare?) The Smiths "53"?
    Smiths Summit?

Smith's Chomolungma.
    F.T.F.A.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Smith's Chomolungma.
    I'm pretty sure that is the Tibetan name. Which is completely appropriate as Mallory and Irvine summitted first from Tibet. ;-) However from Nepal, the approach taken by Hunt, it's called Sagarmatha which sounds far less romantic to me. As Eddie has already used 'Everest' we could use 'George'.

He's buried in Hove, actually.
    Last edited by M4tt; 7th July 2019 at 12:28.

Craftsman
    SmithS Hill-ary

Master
    First off all, wanted to say hello as this is my first post on here. I've been looking for an Explorer style watch for a while. Not a fan of the current Rolex model and not ready for vintage. I was also mulling over the Tudor North Flag, but it is a tiny bit too big for me. My searches eventually led me to Time Factors and I really like the Explorer, although would prefer something that was a little less of a homage.

I was planning to buy the Everest later this Summer but the Exhibition looks like a lovely watch and has me intrigued. That said I am only really interested in a watch with a black dial at the moment. Is there any plans to do another version, an Expedition size dial with Everest colouring. I'm thinking of something like the Tudor Ranger, but with the vintage size and the Smiths design queues.

Feel free to tell me if this should be in its own thread.

There has been no mention of a black dial Expedition so far.

Have you taken a look at the PRS29a?

Master
    The PRS29a is a nice looking watch. I'd prefer a bracelet, but I suppose I could always swaps out the NATO.

Apprentice
    I stumbled upon this forum in search of information about the prs-29am. And then i fell in love with this gem. What a wonderful watch, the casesize, the color of the dial and hands, just perfect!
    I knew within a second that i had to order one, can't wait until it is released. Great job Eddie!

Journeyman
    Is it on a faux rivet bracelet?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Some super pictures there

The main drawback of the sapphire crystal (IMO), the milky ring, works in favour of how the dial appears on this one, preventing it looking too big.
    I don't think it's a good thing that a 36mm watch looks like a 33mm watch because of the crystal. I really dislike it and won't be buying any watch that uses this type of crystal.

Its interesting to compare the Everest and 29a side by side. The milky ring doesnt seem so impactive on the 29a's dial.

Its interesting to compare the Everest and 29a side by side. The milky ring doesnt seem so impactive on the 29a's dial.
    'milky ring' tea across keyboard moment
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Journeyman
    I have an "old" 29a with acrylic crystal so thankfully no "milky ring issues" there. Most people seem to have an aversion to acrylic but I think the Everest would look much better and more vintage looking with an acrylic crystal.
    A 36mm watch is already quite small. Using a crystal that makes it look like it is 34 or even 33mm is not a good thing imo.

I have several watches with sapphire crystals which do not have the "milky ring" problem so it is specific to the type of sapphire crystal used.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyPN View Post
    I have an "old" 29a with acrylic crystal so thankfully no "milky ring issues" there. Most people seem to have an aversion to acrylic but I think the Everest would look much better and more vintage looking with an acrylic crystal.
    A 36mm watch is already quite small. Using a crystal that makes it look like it is 34 or even 33mm is not a good thing imo.

I have several watches with sapphire crystals which do not have the "milky ring" problem so it is specific to the type of sapphire crystal used.
    I wanted this to have acrylic but now I've worn it for a couple of weeks sapphire is the right choice with this dial, practically and aesthetically.

The only things I would change on the pre-production prototype are the size of the text (the lower three lines more so than the De Luxe script) and the bracelet and, as it happens, those are the only two changes being made.

I think it is the most perfect new (or modern) watch I have ever worn. Nothing else has had wrist time and I only take it off to try different strap combinations. I did try wondering "is the seconds hand the right colour?" and "are the numbers too small?" and "is the background of the dial too white or too creamy?" etc etc but really there is nothing I would change. I like better the the longer I wear it, it's more and more prefect (if that can be possible).

A joy to wear and no worriers about scratches, WR, winding etc etc.

I don't think it's a good thing that a 36mm watch looks like a 33mm watch because of the crystal.

A tiny "apparent" reduction of the dial would not change the size of the case.

I wanted this to have acrylic but now I've worn it for a couple of weeks sapphire is the right choice with this dial, practically and aesthetically.

The only things I would change on the pre-production prototype are the size of the text (the lower three lines more so than the De Luxe script) and the bracelet and, as it happens, those are the only two changes being made.

I think it is the most perfect new (or modern) watch I have ever worn. Nothing else has had wrist time and I only take it off to try different strap combinations. I did try wondering "is the seconds hand the right colour?" and "are the numbers too small?" and "is the background of the dial too white or too creamy?" etc etc but really there is nothing I would change. I like better the the longer I wear it, it's more and more prefect (if that can be possible).

What do you don't like about the bracelet ?

Rev-O is the ambassador for the Expedition.
    Last edited by abraxas; 21st July 2019 at 14:22.

I think it is the most perfect new (or modern) watch I have ever worn. Nothing else has had wrist time and I only take it off to try different strap combinations.
    I like better the the longer I wear it, it's more and more prefect (if that can be possible).

For me, this is what this madness is all about. I'm no magpie and not interested in having a 'collection'. Went through a similar phase after getting the Air Ministry. Six months later I'm still in it and can't imagine wearing anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Engi View Post
    What do you don't like about the bracelet ?
    I think most of it that it's just not a bracelet-y kind of watch. The ensemble looks a bit . . . cheap Seiko.

That said, I do like the retro faux rivet look and the fact it doesn't weigh a ton but I don't like 1.) the way it didn't stay reliably shut until I fettled it by bending the tab on the clasp over, to give a tighter, more positive click action 2.) the end links and 3.) the finish on the springbar holes -- not the visible side end but the channels on the inside -- rough machining marks looked a bit primitive.

I know that points 1.) and 2.) -- which are the most important -- will be changed in the final version. I wore it on the bracelet for a couple of days it was OK but I'm not really a fan of the old metal bands (except Led Zeppelin ha ha) and even when I do wear one it's one it's always and only on watches that suit it; this one, imho, doesn't.

But with the new improved bracelet my concerns, such as they are, will be rectified and you fans of stainless steel will be very happy.

This is really a watch for perlon or brown leather imho but I guess Eddie would daft not to include a steel band (wide range of reggae and calypso standards also covers of current and classic pop; now taking bookings for weddings, fetes and the Notting Hill Carnival).

On a brown perlon it looks Hillary-tastic, like a Series 1 Land Rover with a modern common-rail turbo diesel, ABS, traction control and close-ration 9-speed automatic gear box. Truly the best of both worlds.

"Everest, Work & Play -- with the new Smiths De Luxe, only from Time Factors"

Journeyman
    I'm not against sapphire per se, I just don't like this particular type/model. I won't be buying the Expedition because of it and I'll probably get rid of my Everest as well because of it. I really dislike it.

Journeyman
    A tiny "apparent" reduction of the dial would not change the size of the case.
    The dial and crystal are very important to the look of the watch. The case may be 36mm but the crystal/dial makes it look like you're wearing a 34mm.

The dial and crystal are very important to the look of the watch. The case may be 36mm but the crystal/dial makes it look like you're wearing a 34mm.
    Which is why I like it so much.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    'milky ring' tea across keyboard moment
    On the whole, most people probably don't mind a milky ring.

I think most of it that it's just not a bracelet-y kind of watch. The ensemble looks a bit . . . cheap Seiko.

That said, I do like the retro faux rivet look and the fact it doesn't weigh a ton but I don't like 1.) the way it didn't stay reliably shut until I fettled it by bending the tab on the clasp over, to give a tighter, more positive click action 2.) the end links and 3.) the finish on the springbar holes -- not the visible side end but the channels on the inside -- rough machining marks looked a bit primitive.

I know that points 1.) and 2.) -- which are the most important -- will be changed in the final version. I wore it on the bracelet for a couple of days it was OK but I'm not really a fan of the old metal bands (except Led Zeppelin ha ha) and even when I do wear one it's one it's always and only on watches that suit it; this one, imho, doesn't.

But with the new improved bracelet my concerns, such as they are, will be rectified and you fans of stainless steel will be very happy.

This is really a watch for perlon or brown leather imho but I guess Eddie would daft not to include a steel band (wide range of reggae and calypso standards also covers of current and classic pop; now taking bookings for weddings, fetes and the Notting Hill Carnival).

On a brown perlon it looks Hillary-tastic, like a Series 1 Land Rover with a modern common-rail turbo diesel, ABS, traction control and close-ration 9-speed automatic gear box. Truly the best of both worlds.

"Everest, Work & Play -- with the new Smiths De Luxe, only from Time Factors"
    I think that a generic, non rivet, oyster style might be preferable. The 'faux' element of the rivet version kind of puts my off anyway.

Even better, a genuine Bonklip might look and feel good. Im currently wearing my 29a on a Staybrite Bonklip (manufactured in England by BHS & Sons) and it compliments the vintage style of the watch in my view whilst being light and very comfy.

Craftsman
    +1 for how (surprisingly) comfortable and elegant the right sized Bonklip is but I am with RevO..... it's a brown, non padded strap watch.

Journeyman
    I don’t understand this at all, I alternate between a 34mm Tudor oyster prince and my Everest 36 and there’s no way my Everest feels or looks like a 34mm watch.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by horror_logical View Post
    I don’t understand this at all, I alternate between a 34mm Tudor oyster prince and my Everest 36 and there’s no way my Everest feels or looks like a 34mm watch.

I have a 34mm Seamaster and a 35mm Conquest and the Everest looks smaller on wrist than the Conquest. But maybe it's just me, I can't unsee the "milky ring effect" anymore.
    Although ... there are several pics on the forum comparing the Everest directly to a 1016. The Everest definitely looks smaller ... at least to my eyes.
    There's also a comparison of the Expedition to the 33mm original in this thread and they almost look the same size, Rev-O even likes it because of the smaller appearance.

Journeyman
    I have a 34mm Seamaster and a 35mm Conquest and the Everest looks smaller on wrist than the Conquest. But maybe it's just me, I can't unsee the "milky ring effect" anymore.
    Although ... there are several pics on the forum comparing the Everest directly to a 1016. The Everest definitely looks smaller ... at least to my eyes.
    There's also a comparison of the Expedition to the 33mm original in this thread and they almost look the same size, Rev-O even likes it because of the smaller appearance.
    To each his own, I think you’ll regret not getting an Expedition though! :)

Here's a side by side of my Everest and 29a

Both 36mm, both with milky rings. Which looks bigger?

Well, the 29a of course. Small differences in dial and case design can have a big effect. For this reason I think that the Expedition may wear a little larger in the flesh.

Interesting to note that the milky ring doesn't seem as obvious on the 29a. Im wearing it as I type this and glancing down I can hardly see it.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by horror_logical View Post
    To each his own, I think you’ll regret not getting an Expedition though! :)

Knowing myself, the imperfections, as perceived by me, would irritate me too much to really enjoy it, so no. I would buy it instantly though if it had a different crystal and if the number font was changed so that it would be the same as the original.

Journeyman
    Here's a side by side of my Everest and 29a

Both 36mm, both with milky rings. Which looks bigger?
    The 29a, but it's not just the milky ring effect. The dial of the 29a is 29mm (if I'm not mistaken) vs the Everest's dial at 27 or 28mm. Also, the 29a's crystal has a diameter of 31,5mm vs the Everest's 30,4mm. The dial of a 1016 is 29mm so that's also 1 or 2mm bigger than the Everest's. 1 or 2mm can make a big difference in appearance.

The 29a, but it's not just the milky ring effect. The dial of the 29a is 29mm (if I'm not mistaken) vs the Everest's dial at 27 or 28mm. Also, the 29a's crystal has a diameter of 31,5mm vs the Everest's 30,4mm. The dial of a 1016 is 29mm so that's also 1 or 2mm bigger than the Everest's. 1 or 2mm can make a big difference in appearance.
    Sorry, instead of quoting the exact differences I simply put 'slight differences in dial and case design'

Its amazing the difference a couple of mm can make.

The milky ring doesn't really do the standard Everest any favours as regards being as close as you can get to a 1016. On the Expedition, I suspect its an asset - making the whole thing closer to the vintage De Lux than it wold have been with acrylic.
    Last edited by Velorum; 22nd July 2019 at 19:36.

Sorry, instead of quoting the exact differences I simply put 'slight differences in dial and case design'

Its amazing the difference a couple of mm can make.

The milky ring doesn't really do the standard Everest any favours as regards being as close as you can get to a 1016. On the Expedition, I suspect its an asset - making the whole thing closer to the vintage De Lux than it wold have been with acrylic.
    The milky ring is much less of an issue on the light-dialled De Luxe than on the Everest (and I have handled them both. I suspect the same applies to the PRS-29 Air Ministry as that too has the "vintage" off-white dial although whether it has the same profile sapphire as the De Luxe and/or Everest I don't know.)

As I said before I initially wanted the De Luxe to have plexiglass / acrylic but, trust me, the sapphire is the right choice.

Damn I love this watch and am dreading the day when I have to send it back. (I did threaten to get "To My Good Friend Oliver, Regards, Eddie Platts" engraved on the back. The suggestion was not as well-received as I had hoped.)

Having compared the 29a and AM side by side I think that the milky ring looks about the same - far less obtrusive than the Everest.

I am really looking forward to the Expedition.

Master
    I really wanted this watch, but the second hand kills it for me. I've the 29AM, so know what the blueing is like, and just can't get my head around the high quality of blueing Eddie gets, coupled with such a cheap looking second hand.

Perhaps you are not old enough to appreciate red/orange seconds hands. They were all the rage back in the '50s... where this model is rooted.

On a brown perlon it looks Hillary-tastic…………..
    Any chance of a picture of it on brown Perlon Rev-O?

Do you have it one of these?

Last edited by Velorum; 23rd July 2019 at 08:19.

Some v q&d iPhone pics

old Phoenix NATO ("circumcised" -- under-strap flap cut off)

Eulit "Panama"

Eulit "Palma"

Wrist shots to follow.

Buy this watch!