closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Expedition prototype

Quote Originally Posted by StuS View Post
    I’m not sure how many Eddie will produce but would suggest however many it won’t be enough. Whilst it is not how timefactors operate I am many of these would be snapped up on pre order.

I have never wanted to own a 36mm watch before but I do want one of these.
    Hopefully the production models will have bolder numbers, those on the prototype seem washed out.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    Wow , that's lovely . That's, well lovely . Looks perfectly reimagined

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

PS if you look at the numbers on Hillary's watch they are smaller and slimmer than the later A404 or A453. And better for it, too, imho. Also much more like the TFSDL ;-)

^^^ Interesting you post that pic... I was doing a very quick rough of how the face would look making the numbers beef up with a shadow that was typical of the era.

Quote Originally Posted by OliverCD View Post
    ^^^ Interesting you post that pic... I was doing a very quick rough of how the face would look making the numbers beef up with a shadow that was typical of the era.

If you're fattening them up, do you want to nudge them a tiny bit closer to the centre?

That's uncanny. Spooky. I like (and great photoshopping or whatever it is you do) it but I think I prefer the "flat" originals.

On the old Smiths (1950-52) and also on the Bensons (c.1953-55) the numbers are smaller and have the shadow; on the De Luxes of the mid '50s (A404, A453) the numbers are larger and don't have the shadow. To my mind Eddie has done the best of both worlds (small and sans shadow)

Here's some of my "Hillary" style one:

And here's a Smiths for Benson

Why 'Great Britain' rather than 'Made in England' Any reason for this?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Why 'Great Britain' rather than 'Made in England' Any reason for this?
    I assume because they are made somewhere that is not England so that can't go on the dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Zook View Post
    I assume because they are made somewhere that is not England so that can't go on the dial.

Makes sense for legal reasons. Thanks.

Craftsman
    As much as I like the expedition if it had the minute track / markers of the older model it would be perfect

I keep looking at the "shadow" one and the real one side by side.

I really really like the shadow one but I think -- although I'm not sure -- that the real one is better.

That was really quite something though, and I must say it really made a difference and captured the "Hillary" / Benson dial beautifully.

But with the minty lume and the Omega orange seconds hand the more modern "unshadowed" version has it by a whisker.

Still, a version of this with a flat dial, shadowed numbers, blued steel seconds hand without the lollipop and vintage vanilla lume would be a pretty bloody perfect.

The Smiths Hillary? (Or is that a legal nightmare?) The Smiths "53"?

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    I keep looking at the "shadow" one and the real one side by side.

I really really like the shadow one but I think -- although I'm not sure -- that the real one is better.

The real one is better. The "shadow" one pops, but in time it will start looking gimmicky.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by neilF183 View Post
    As much as I like the expedition if it had the minute track / markers of the older model it would be perfect
    I agree. It looks a lovely watch but that is the only thing I prefer on the older model.

Master
    A lovely watch Eddie and I plan to try and get one for myself and for each of my sons if possible.

May I ask when they are likely to be available and how many there will be in the initial run?

Many thanks

Sean

Master
    I've been away from the forum for months until back a bit just recently so haven't been following this thread except in the barest terms.

But, in hunting up something I was looking for I happened to run into this following that I thought some of the vintage searching members here might be interested in and it also might be a bit of help serving as another "role model" Smiths original to forward this new TF project >

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smiths-De...UAAOSw0BtdD8jt

Unlike some of the Smiths original production Expeditions, I noticed that this one above has the stepped center dial similar to what Eddie is showing in the renditions of the project watch, and, if I'm not mistaken (which I easily could be), this vintage Expedition above would also have what the adept collectors and otherwise very knowledgeable here would consider the more subtle version of the hour font shadow(?).

And, BTW, if I can be excused my lack of attention if this has been covered earlier in this thread, could any of the many highly knowledgeable here say whether the British Dennison company's "Aquatite" case design that the original Smiths was famous for using was internally actually of the same technological design as the original and by then possibly no longer patent protected 3-piece (maincase, screw-down caseback, and the separate bezel that tightly clamped the cupped plexiglass crystal to an integral lip machined at the mouth of the maincase) "OysterCase" design that Dennison was apparently among those contracted to make for Rolex at the time?

Definitely going to try and buy one of these, especially now that my missus has nicked my PRS29-AM.
    I think Eddie has it spot on now, and really cannot wait for this to arrive in the TF store, although the Caribbean is also calling to me very srongly.
    Dave

Craftsman
    Not normally a fan of numbers on watch dials but this is really well done. I really like the handset too. Excellent job!

Anyone here willing and able to do a render of the De Luxe with flat dial, vanilla lume, blued steed seconds hands (without the lollipop) and shadowed numbers?

As per this:

Anyone here willing and able to do a render of the De Luxe with flat dial, vanilla lume, blued steed seconds hands (without the lollipop) and shadowed numbers?

I’ll try and knock it up at the start of next week Rev-O

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Can you do one with the mismatched hand lume like Hillary’s whilst you are about it

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Can you do one with the mismatched hand lume like Hillary’s whilst you are about it
    QC at CH1 was AWOL that day

Yer preaching to the converted here

Oddly enough this reminds me of a Timex I had as a child
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Proper pig skin strap?

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Proper pig skin strap?
    Yes, rather good isn't it?

The TF SDL will look good on anything, though. It's gorgeous.

Just said to Eddie: "Of all the TF watches I've handled, had or own it is my favourite and that's saying something."

So, who wants one?
    Last edited by Rev-O; 30th June 2019 at 17:47.

Craftsman
    Just said to Eddie: "Of all the TF watches I've handled, had or own it is my favourite and that's saying something."

So, who wants one?
    Money set aside and waiting for the opportunity to order. I am definitely buying one!

Blog Entries
    Is this staying the same movement as the other Everests?

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    Is this staying the same movement as the other Everests?
    Miyota 9039. Earlier PRS-25 models had the 9015.

The size and font of the numbers of this old one are really beautiful !

Craftsman

So, who wants one?
    Definitely, cannot wait till I get the email advising it's launched

Really looking forward to (hopefully) getting one of these on my wrist. The 36mm black Everest has quickly turned into my most worn watch. I can see this one usurping it!

Some super pictures there

The main drawback of the sapphire crystal (IMO), the milky ring, works in favour of how the dial appears on this one, preventing it looking too big.

Journeyman

So, who wants one?
    Was Eddie going to change the second hand colour?

Apprentice

So, who wants one?
    Me

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Engi View Post
    The size and font of the numbers of this old one are really beautiful !

The seconds-track coupled to the red seconds-hand give it a "doctor's watch" look.

The Expedition is a different kind of animal. More clean and very now.
    Last edited by abraxas; 30th June 2019 at 23:06.

Quote Originally Posted by horror_logical View Post
    Was Eddie going to change the second hand colour?

Don't think so and hope not.

The seconds hand catches the eye and draws you in but also gives it a modern twist. It really make the watch "pop", especially in low light.

Journeyman
    Don't think so and hope not.

The seconds hand catches the eye and draws you in but also gives it a modern twist. It really make the watch "pop", especially in low light.
    If you say so, I heard talk of it being too orange but i’m sure you and Eddie know best.

I’ve been in this thread since the beginning and have followed closely but don’t know if it now comes on the bracelet or the leather strap or both?

Quote Originally Posted by horror_logical View Post

I’ve been in this thread since the beginning and have followed closely but don’t know if it now comes on the bracelet or the leather strap or both?
    I believe it will come with a bracelet with the smaller buckle.

What I don't know is whether the bracelet end-pieces will be male or female. Does anyone know? I would prefer female...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    I believe it will come with a bracelet with the smaller buckle.

What I don't know is whether the bracelet end-pieces will be male or female. Does anyone know? I would prefer female...
    Eddie said that it would be female following comments on the male prototype (I believe)

As requested a couple of options.

Vanilla Lume, blue second hand no ‘pop’

Vanilla Lume, blue second hand no ‘pop’ – no step dial

Vanilla Lume, blue second hand no ‘pop’ – no step dial – slightly enlarged text

I should say that, personally I love the step dial on this watch as a whole!

I also really like the counter balance on the second hand... its something I think the original watch might have worked well with.
    Last edited by OliverCD; 1st July 2019 at 12:35.

Journeyman

Vanilla Lume, blue second hand no ‘pop’

Vanilla Lume, blue second hand no ‘pop’ – no step dial

First one looks the best, but they all look really good!

^^^ This one:

Why? Because it closet to Hillary's own watch and also furthest from the existing/proposed SLD and so different enough to justify owning both.

Oliver I have no idea how you do this (photoshop?) nor how hard it is or how long it takes but you, sir, a bloody genius.

Thank-you!

Oliver I have no idea how you do this (photoshop?) nor how hard it is or how long it takes but you, sir, a bloody genius.

Thank-you!
    Thats really kind of you to say Rev-O! It is indeed mostly done in Photoshop... I am a professional designer and re-toucher, so I enjoy doing these mock ups in-between jobs. Sometimes they are a bit rough around the edges but they get our ideas over. we are lucky Eddie is happy enough for us to play around with his designs – we are all well aware that he will do what he thinks is best :-D

Its not just TF watches: I sometimes I just get a hankering to know what a watch would look like if it was more to my tastes. Like this Sinn I've always liked – but I don't do date windows.

All good fun!!! Maybe an idea for a PRS-3 case, with the Ltd Ed with count down bezel?!
    Last edited by OliverCD; 1st July 2019 at 14:27.

......….but I don't do date windows.
    I agree, they are horrible things that ruin the symmetry of the dial and are of questionable use at best.

Thats really kind of you to say Rev-O! It is indeed mostly done in Photoshop... I am a professional designer and re-toucher, so I enjoy doing these mock ups in-between jobs. Sometimes they are a bit rough around the edges but they get our ideas over. we are lucky Eddie is happy enough for us to play around with his designs – we are all well aware that he will do what he thinks is best :-D

Its not just TF watches: I sometimes I just get a hankering to know what a watch would look like if it was more to my tastes. Like this Sinn I've always liked – but I don't do date windows.

All good fun!!!
    I'm afraid in my line of work I take a dim view of Sin

And I haven't had a date in long time, either!

Hahahaha

Craftsman

All good fun!!!
    I’ve got this white Sinn and love it.

I don’t mind dates but generally am not bothered with day windows as I feel they take up to much dial space. Your mock up of a non-date with cross hairs looks fantastic. Would prefer the cross hairs to be the same length, which I appreciate is difficult because of the logo, or just plain without the cross hairs.

Off topic I know, sorry!

I'm afraid in my line of work I take a dim view of Sin
    It may cause a few raised eyebrows in the 'office' ;-)