closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 10 years with this one

10 years with this one

I've had this watch for over ten years now. Ever since I saw it was coming out I just knew I had to have one (same as when I saw the Citroen C6 which I also bought that year) . For the first maybe 8 years I never even looked at another watch with any serious feeling of want. I guess I was busy at my first proper job, getting my own place - this watch was with me for the most important 10 years of my life - I got married wearing it, I've worn it on every proper holiday I've had as an adult, my child was born, we moved again, I started my business, wore it to every interview, the list goes on.

I nearly sold it. Twice. I got carried away with forums like TZ and began to obsess that it was too big, that I needed more complications, that I needed a watch for X occasion and one for Y. I had offers. Lots. It was boxed and ready to go, but something said wait. I bought other watches and loved them, the LLD sat in my display cabinet for months at a time.

Recently I dug it back out and put a new strap on it. There - I'm home. It wears perfectly, it's perfect for every occasion I'm likely to find myself in and I find myself looking at it all the time but not to confirm I like the watch (which I did a lot with others) but because it looks great in every light.

It's got scratches and bumps, but I turned down a polish at the last service. I don't baby it at all. I can bang it into things and get it wet. Every mark is an honest one and the more it gets the more I like it.

No, I don't thin the lugs are too long; they fit me really well and they make the case really elegant. The distance from the strap to the case is spot on. The diameter is, on paper, on the large side, but it wears like a pebble, it's smooth and deep and very thin, giving it a good presence but a tactile and svelte feel which doesn't look shouty.

Although I will still keep my eye on watches as a general hobby, I'm going to learn from this that although there's lots of stuff out there to distract us, I should focus on what I have and enjoy it, because I'll come back around to things like that which have quietly stood the test of time. I've done this with other things (bass guitars) and I suppose it's a natural cycle to find 'the one' then go looking for the next only to return, confirming that the one you originally saw as the 'best' still is, and safe in the knowledge that you've directly compared it to the others.

I'll probably save some money, too.

Although I am rather fond of cars, I have an old RS2 that needs a few bits sorting. Oh and I'm joining the gliding club (computer autocorrected that to 'grinding club', glad I noticed)

OK so I won't save any money but still. I hope my post finds you well and that you don't think I'm mental.

Cheers
    ped

Master
    Just how it should be worn.

Rare car, RS2. Last one I saw was 5-10 years ago in Aberdeen.

Gorgeous as it is, that's so much more than a watch now. It's part of your life story, a family treasure. Thanks for sharing, it's brightened the day.

Craftsman
    Great post, great watch !! No date version too very desirable... wearing mine as I type..

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

10 years with this one

Lovely watch and a great history of it. It’s truly one that holds all your memories. Is this you bowing out of collecting? Will there be more watches to complement it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Great story...really makes the watch irreplaceable

Thanks for taking the time to write up- nice reading on a good watch and why it’s important to you. Continue to enjoy wearing
    D

Never mind the watch, let’s see the C6.

That’s the kind of connection I long for! Ive often thought my girls wont associate any watch (or probably care tbf!) with me as i don’t wear one for long enough! I keep thinking about consolidating and your post is good encouragement!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Thanks guys I knew I’d get some support from like minded folk here!

Quote Originally Posted by Gullers View Post
    That’s the kind of connection I long for! Ive often thought my girls wont associate any watch (or probably care tbf!) with me as i don’t wear one for long enough! I keep thinking about consolidating and your post is good encouragement!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Yes I must admit having a son did make me think of it like that, but really these things happen with or without us making them happen - you can’t force it so just do what makes you happy and who knows what you’ll be remembered for - my niece knows me as the man with the funny tie clip thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Never mind the watch, let’s see the C6.
    Here’s the 6 taken outside some office in Eynsham near Witney where I used to live. I had it for four amazing years then replaced it with an E39 5 series for some reason. It was the 2.7 in black with cream interior.

My L.L.D. (date one though!)

is probably my favourite watch, I wear mine on a mesh strap, though I must admit, yours looks really good on that leather strap.

I very much doubt if I will ever get rid of mine.....

Nice car, nice watch and a great story.
    LLD is a lovely watch and somebody mentioned the other day that Strapcode have a bracelet for it. Can’t wait to try out the bracelet.

Master
    Love reading stories like this. Congratulations resisting the urge to move it on to try "that something else"
    Have to say it looks in fantastic condition for ten years old and is wearing the test of time well ( that was quite clever for me but totally unintentional )
    A good friend had a lovely old Citroen with the air suspension that lifted you up in the car once started, but I can't remember the model but he also had a pea green 2CV that we used to strap two canoes to the roof of and spend days canoeing the river at Swanton Morley in Norfolk. Great cars and such happy treasured memories. I love old Citroens.
    I hope you keep both your "life companions". All the best.
    Last edited by Cat7; 16th June 2019 at 05:39. Reason: spelling

Still a very cool watch!

Enjoy it in great health!

A proper watch story, well written and emotional. Thanks for kick-starting my Sunday on a good vibe

PS The lugs are way too long (52mm) – had to sell mine

Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    Lovely watch and a great history of it. It’s truly one that holds all your memories. Is this you bowing out of collecting? Will there be more watches to complement it?

I was never a ‘collector’ as such but I’ve always had about four watches, although this was the only ‘good’ one I had for a long time. More recently though it was joined by two or three more expensive pieces. I tried ‘rotating’ them and pretended that it worked, but I was never comfortable doing that. I like to have one good example of something I want to keep forever.

That said, and with a watch in SC currently, I did have a replica of this once and I’d love to have a real one - it might compliment the LLD nicely https://www.chrono24.com/longines/ol...id11389025.htm

It’s a disease!

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    A proper watch story, well written and emotional. Thanks for kick-starting my Sunday on a good vibe

PS The lugs are way too long (52mm) – had to sell mine
    I convinced myself that they were. But then I thought, hold on, I wore this for years and years and didn’t even think or notice anything until I read it on forums. I think they are in good proportion to the case and give it an elegant look. My wrists are quite flat so it wears really well on me but yes I can understand how it might not fit on some.

Great story and great looking watch.

Quote Originally Posted by barbosas View Post
    Great story and great looking watch.
    Thanks, here’s to another ten years!

Master
    Nice story ped, with a moral I’m sure a lot of us on here would be envious of. Must admit I’m a bit of a sucker for a ‘one watch for life’ tale.

May it see you right for many years to come.

That's a beauty, the no date model is so much more handsome IMO. I hope you enjoy it for many years to come.

Great watch and story. Certainly something to cherish.

Also a great strap. Care to let me know what the new grey strap is?

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Learner View Post
    Great watch and story. Certainly something to cherish.

Also a great strap. Care to let me know what the new grey strap is?
    Both straps in the pics are from Watchgecko. The grey one is their ‘B-2’ type of which I have nearly every colour. The leather is what I wear it on mostly, it’s not really thick like some and really soft.

Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    Thanks guys

Both straps in the pics are from Watchgecko. The grey one is their ‘B-2’ type of which I have nearly every colour. The leather is what I wear it on mostly, it’s not really thick like some and really soft.

Thank you, just looking at the website now, think one of each colour is the best option, so many choices...

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Learner View Post
    Thank you, just looking at the website now, think one of each colour is the best option, so many choices...
    My pleasure, yes they are rather nice straps; quite stiff at first so I tend to roll them for a few mins. The colours on the website are fairly accurate but do check the straps thoroughly before using because I had two with manufacturing issues (one had a white mark in it and the other had a loose backing).

I always wear the orange one on holiday 😎