closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Robot lawnmower

Quote Originally Posted by Tamtoot View Post
    Good day all,

Received a Husqvarna automower 310 model today....Would anyone know how to check for date of manufacture?

Thank you in advance,
    Tamtoot
    Find the silver rating label, probably under the hatch as said. 9 digit serial number, first 2 digits are the year, second 2 are the week number

Quote Originally Posted by Tamtoot View Post
    Good day all,

Received a Husqvarna automower 310 model today....Would anyone know how to check for date of manufacture?

Thank you in advance,
    Tamtoot
    Mines a 105, the old version of yours.. this MIGHT work...

Go to your menu
    Press and hold 7 + 9
    "Expert mode" appears and a new icon.
    In there, in the 1st option "General" I can see the exact production date of mine.

Lots of other goodies in there too if you're interested

Apprentice

New Husqvarna today...problem solved.

Thank you all who advised the info required.
    Kind Regards,
    Tamtoot.

Blog Entries
    Any Flymo 1200R owners? I bought an ex display unit from B&Q ages ago and never got round to using it (pending some work to be complete in the garden first). Like everyone else being home alot has meant more opportunity to catch up with life tasks so I got the mower out at the weekend to test it was working. Base out, charged battery, tried to launch the mower and nada.

Can anyone who owns one advise, to get the mower to work do I need to lay the boundary wire first and connect this correctly before the mower will set off or should I be able to literally take out the box and set it on its way?

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Any Flymo 1200R owners? I bought an ex display unit from B&Q ages ago and never got round to using it (pending some work to be complete in the garden first). Like everyone else being home alot has meant more opportunity to catch up with life tasks so I got the mower out at the weekend to test it was working. Base out, charged battery, tried to launch the mower and nada.

Can anyone who owns one advise, to get the mower to work do I need to lay the boundary wire first and connect this correctly before the mower will set off or should I be able to literally take out the box and set it on its way?
    You need to install the perimeter wire before it will work.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    You need to install the perimeter wire before it will work.
    Ah thanks at least it's not yet confirmed a dud, some work still to do. Thanks for the quick reply.

Craftsman
    You should have got a couple of hundred plastic pegs which you can use to pin the wire down.
    I’ve buried my perimeter wire but I pegged the guide wire because I didn’t want to cut right through the middle of the lawn
    Today I wanted to adjust the guide wire a tad after installing a garage for the mower. The grass had grown over it so well I couldn’t actually see where it went.

Blog Entries
    Yes those bits are there in the box, I'll get out there this weekend and peg it all out and test it and bury it once it's all working as expected. Got my carpenter making me a mower garage during lockdown based on a Robohut so last thing to sort before I can sit back finally and drink beer rather than heave the Lawnmower around.

Craftsman
    Leave loops in strategic places in case you get a cut in the wire, my mower pulled up a wire then chopped it up when I first installed it and I had to repair it.
    Repairs are simple btw
    Solder, heatshrink and self amalgamating tape and Bobs your uncle.
    Last edited by barreti; 11th May 2020 at 22:13.

Quote Originally Posted by barreti View Post
    Leave loops in strategic places in case you get a cut in the wire, my mower pulled up a wire then chopped it up when I first installed it and I had to repair it.
    Repairs are simple btw
    Solder, heatshrink and self amalgamating tape and Bobs your uncle.
    Or just use the blue terminal block connectors that come in the box, intended for splicing a guide wire into the perimeter wire. Put your 2 broken ends in to any 2 of the 3 holes, press blue top down, done, then bury the block slightly. I've got 3 such patches in my boundary now

Blog Entries
    How likely is it to cut a wire? If buried, are they not buried far enough down?

Yes those bits are there in the box, I'll get out there this weekend and peg it all out and test it and bury it once it's all working as expected. Got my carpenter making me a mower garage during lockdown based on a Robohut so last thing to sort before I can sit back finally and drink beer rather than heave the Lawnmower around.
    Some inspiration for you... my neighbour's Flymo in his house!

If buried, you wont get a break.

I had pegged my wires on the surface. For me, my lawn was DEEP in moss. I started cutting with the robot and each week, dropped the cutting height lower and lower. It was then, with the lawn getting short and moss free that my wires started to snag on the mower.

Now though, you couldn't find the wires if you tried. They disappear into the mulch over a couple of months.

It can happen. I pegged mine out, it soon disappears into the lawn and as said above it can be a bugger to find again it you need to, no real need to bury it. First month, before it had sunk in, our neighbor helpfully decided to strim our edge near the back gate while he was doing his, wiped out 3ft of wire with his brush cutter. He was mortified, I fixed it in 2 mins, 3ft length of new wire, 2 of the blue connectors, done. 2 years on, no more issues until I went to start it up again this year, flashing light on charger station, so break in boundary. Took a walk round the boundary and found the culprit, dogs had dug a hole in a corner and cut through the wire, another blue connector and off she goes

Craftsman
    My current mower is getting temperamental (Bosch cordless) so a robot replacement sounds like the way to go.

One question, how does a robot mower cope with pine cones. I also have five-a-side football goals that get moved around so has anyone dealt with the nets not being eaten by the mower?
    Last edited by mangoosian; 12th May 2020 at 00:27.

My garden needs a mower like this but it would need to be quite strong to handle the slopes etc. how are these things at handling slopes etc?

Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post
    My current mower is getting temperamental (Bosch cordless) so a robot replacement sounds like the way to go.

One question, how does a robot mower cope with pine cones. I also have five-a-side football goals that get moved around so has anyone dealt with the nets not being eaten by the mower?
    It will depend on how big the pine cones are. Mowers have a front bumper ground clearance of around 50mm. If they're big enough and your lawn flat enough, they would probably just get pushed around. If smaller than 50mm, they will go under and get chopped, probably not good for the cutting blades or the motor. If they are a bit bigger than 50mm, they could get stuck under the front bumper, the mower will stop and give a lift error, then need manually restarting.

One option, depending on the size of your lawn, is not to have the mower set on a timer, just go out, do a pinecone sweep, then send the mower out manually., This is what i do as i have to do a sweep for dog eggs, dog and kids toys and make sure the wife hasn't left a duvet on the washing line that's touching the grass (yes that did happen once, messy). I have a fairly small garden and a massively over spec'd 430X, so i only need to send it out for an hour or 2 twice a week. If you're lawn is up near max capacity of your chosen mower, then it will need to be out mowing almost constantly, so the manual start will not be an option.

For the football goal, it will chew up the net (and duvets), so the options you have there are
    1) If you're doing a manual start as described above, just move them out of the mower zone before you send it out
    2) Pick a permanent site for the goals and lay your boundary wire around them, you can lay the wire into the goal itself so that will get cut, but you'd have long grass growing around the frame and back of the net, but you could move the goal and strim that every now and again?
    Last edited by Brighty; 12th May 2020 at 08:54.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    My garden needs a mower like this but it would need to be quite strong to handle the slopes etc. how are these things at handling slopes etc?
    Depends how steep the slopes are and where they are.
    Too steep and you get wheel spin, which will create bald patches over time
    Official spec is standard Husqvarna models can handle 15-25deg within the working area, depending on the model, reducing to 8deg at the boundary where it has to turn around and reverse alot.
    If you need more than that, then remortgage the house and get a 435X, it has drive to all 4 wheels and can handle 35deg in the work area and 25deg at the boundary.

Craftsman
    I can’t vouch for this but I saw the ad. for it the other day and noticed it specifically mentions hills so it might be worth some research.
    https://www.myrobotcenter.co.uk/en_g...RoC9zkQAvD_BwE

Quote Originally Posted by barreti View Post
    I can’t vouch for this but I saw the ad. for it the other day and noticed it specifically mentions hills so it might be worth some research.
    https://www.myrobotcenter.co.uk/en_g...RoC9zkQAvD_BwE
    Don't confuse slope % with deg
    That yard force states 40%, that's only 21.8deg, on par with pretty much every robot mower. The 435X does 70% = 35deg
    Last edited by Brighty; 12th May 2020 at 10:00.

If you have a garden with significant slopes - see HERE.

That's the fella, i know it well

Ok at 4 and a half grand I’ll continue to push the mower

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    It will depend on how big the pine cones are. Mowers have a front bumper ground clearance of around 50mm. If they're big enough and your lawn flat enough, they would probably just get pushed around. If smaller than 50mm, they will go under and get chopped, probably not good for the cutting blades or the motor. If they are a bit bigger than 50mm, they could get stuck under the front bumper, the mower will stop and give a lift error, then need manually restarting.

One option, depending on the size of your lawn, is not to have the mower set on a timer, just go out, do a pinecone sweep, then send the mower out manually., This is what i do as i have to do a sweep for dog eggs, dog and kids toys and make sure the wife hasn't left a duvet on the washing line that's touching the grass (yes that did happen once, messy). I have a fairly small garden and a massively over spec'd 430X, so i only need to send it out for an hour or 2 twice a week. If you're lawn is up near max capacity of your chosen mower, then it will need to be out mowing almost constantly, so the manual start will not be an option.

For the football goal, it will chew up the net (and duvets), so the options you have there are
    1) If you're doing a manual start as described above, just move them out of the mower zone before you send it out
    2) Pick a permanent site for the goals and lay your boundary wire around them, you can lay the wire into the goal itself so that will get cut, but you'd have long grass growing around the frame and back of the net, but you could move the goal and strim that every now and again?
    Great info thanks.

I have Greenthumb coming next week to assess my lawn and I am more than likely to get them to do the scarifiying and lawn treatments. I can then line up getting a robot mower.

My lawn is a bit bumpy, my thinking is the robot mower will help fix that (will see what Greenthumb say too as they may advocate sand and topsoil leveling too).

I have a TP-Link smart plug powering my automower docks ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Req...9293838&sr=8-1 )

It switches the mower docking stations off at midnight but switching ON is manually set, via the Kasa app on my phone.

It would work well here too - cast your eye out the window and if the goals/nets are out of the way.... tap "on" and close the blinds!

Apprentice

Lightbulb Automower Insurance..

Good day all,

Have any of you Automower owners arranged insurance? I tried to get though to my home insurer who seems to be on customer lockdown..so no joy there.

I have read that some insurers do and others don't.

Grateful for your advice,

Thank you,
    Tamtoot

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    I have a TP-Link smart plug powering my automower docks ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Req...9293838&sr=8-1 )

It switches the mower docking stations off at midnight but switching ON is manually set, via the Kasa app on my phone.

It would work well here too - cast your eye out the window and if the goals/nets are out of the way.... tap "on" and close the blinds!
    I just use the automower app, I have no timer set, when i want it to mow, i just open the automower app, press start mowing button, off he goes. I can use alexa too, but not tried that yet.
    Last edited by Brighty; 12th May 2020 at 15:44.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Ok at 4 and a half grand I’ll continue to push the mower
    A sheep would be cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    A sheep would be cheaper.
    Yeah but a sheep doesn't have headlights

I just use the automower app, I have no timer set, when i want it to mow, i just open the automower app, press start mowing button, off he goes. I can use alexa too, but not tried that yet.
    Poverty spec 105 model here..no app for me I'm afraid!

Does anyone have a Worx Landroid M500 and advise how good they are?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Does anyone have a Worx Landroid M500 and advise how good they are?
    I have the larger L1500 version.

It's been mostly brilliant. I added the 'Find my Landroid' 4G module and also the 'Off-limits' and ACS (Anti-collision system) to it as well. I laid the boundary wire myself.

Fors:

Very quiet
    Covers the whole lawn after a few days - I've left in 'auto' schedule mode and it does a really good job supposed using 'AI',
    Does get close to the borders and can handle steep slopes... in a straight line.
    Copes with 'Islands' very well
    Worx support has been excellent with questions
    Battery lasts well and recharges quickly.
    Got a good 'Deal of the Day' on Amazon when I purchased so significantly cheaper than the Husq 430X I was previously considering

Against:
    I have a steep slope in a couple of parts of the garden and when climbing the slope and turning at the same time it does lose traction and rear wheels dig into the ground, and once they've dug in it repeats the problem every few days as it's created a rut.
    Because it does 'Cut to the edge' you have to be very careful with the boundary wire spacing to the edge and follow the spacing instructions explicitly.
    The add-on's probably should have been standard, but then the base price would have been higher and at least it's your choice.
    The Off-limits add on is hit+miss if it works and I wouldn't bother with it again.

For the price, it's been excellent and hard to fault and having a robot mower has returned a lot of time to me that would have been spent mowing. I suspect the Husq would have been better still - but it was a lot more money for something I was unsure if would really work for me and the Landroid was less than half the price but I suspect 80-90% of the ability. If you have a straightforward, flat(ish) garden then I doubt the Husq would have any additional benefit.

Two tips - 1) make sure you have some waterproof cable joiners (3M ones work great) and 2) put some 'loops' in the boundary cable at strategic points around your garden. Both of these will mean when you (probably inevitably) break the boundary wire you have quick easy way to repair or indeed modify the boundary layout.

Hope that helps,
    B

Quote Originally Posted by Benc999 View Post

Got a good 'Deal of the Day' on Amazon when I purchased so significantly cheaper than the Husq 430X I was previously considering

B
    Your landroid covers 1500m2, so a little unfair comparing it on price to the 430X that covers over double that at 3200m2. A fairer comparison would be the 315, which once you add the extras to the landroid, probably come out about the same price

Journeyman
    Your landroid covers 1500m2, so a little unfair comparing it on price to the 430X that covers over double that at 3200m2. A fairer comparison would be the 315, which once you add the extras to the landroid, probably come out about the same price
    Yeah, fair point on the coverage ability, I think you'd need to compare with the 315X if you added the 'Find My Landroid GPS' option to your Landroid to make it closer equivilent.

I reckon if you shop around you should be able to get the Landroid+bits cheaper than the 315 and definitely the 315X... certainly the deal I got, granted Amazon deal of the day, and buying the add-on's from a couple of other, better priced websites meant I got it all combined for over £200 less than the best price that i've seen for the 315. So not the 430X difference saving level granted, but still cheaper and with much the same functionality.... but no headlights! :(

I guess for the M500 the comparison would be more the Husq 105?

Lovely. You could take a car out for a "spin" on a driveway like that.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Benc999 View Post

It's been mostly brilliant. I added the 'Find my Landroid' 4G module and also the 'Off-limits' and ACS (Anti-collision system) to it as well. I laid the boundary wire myself.

Fors:

Very quiet
    Covers the whole lawn after a few days - I've left in 'auto' schedule mode and it does a really good job supposed using 'AI',
    Does get close to the borders and can handle steep slopes... in a straight line.
    Copes with 'Islands' very well
    Worx support has been excellent with questions
    Battery lasts well and recharges quickly.

Against:
    I have a steep slope in a couple of parts of the garden and when climbing the slope and turning at the same time it does lose traction and rear wheels dig into the ground, and once they've dug in it repeats the problem every few days as it's created a rut.
    Because it does 'Cut to the edge' you have to be very careful with the boundary wire spacing to the edge and follow the spacing instructions explicitly.
    The add-on's probably should have been standard, but then the base price would have been higher and at least it's your choice.
    The Off-limits add on is hit+miss if it works and I wouldn't bother with it again.

For the price, it's been excellent and hard to fault and having a robot mower has returned a lot of time to me that would have been spent mowing. I suspect the Husq would have been better still - but it was a lot more money for something I was unsure if would really work for me and the Landroid was less than half the price but I suspect 80-90% of the ability. If you have a straightforward, flat(ish) garden then I doubt the Husq would have any additional benefit.

Two tips - 1) make sure you have some waterproof cable joiners (3M ones work great) and 2) put some 'loops' in the boundary cable at strategic points around your garden. Both of these will mean when you (probably inevitably) break the boundary wire you have quick easy way to repair or indeed modify the boundary layout.

Hope that helps,
    B
    yes cheers for that 👍

Craftsman
    Our local Rugby club has a massive yolk on the main pitch. Does a fine job. Must be a metre long.

Quote Originally Posted by kildareman View Post
    Our local Rugby club has a massive yolk on the main pitch. Does a fine job. Must be a metre long.
    Any idea what make it is? Is it one of these ugly brutes?
    https://www.belrobotics.com/en-gb/mo...onnected-line/
    Currently interested in big robot mowers

Craftsman
    Hmm does look a little like that. Will swing by on way home and have a look if I can.

Yolk? Errant spell-checker but can’t guess for what!

Craftsman
    Very interesting thread.

I’m just in the process of finishing the landscaping of my 1 acre garden (after building a new house). Very first grass cut happened last week!

It’s a challenging site, with some big slopes (actually barely any flat ground) and two areas (but could be linked across a gravel drive).
    I’ve got quotes to keep the lawn under control which are broadly £150-200 a month for fortnightly mows. I’ve certainly not got the time (or equipment) to do it myself.

Beginning to wonder if the 435x is a viable alternative?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Yolk? Errant spell-checker but can’t guess for what!
    Sorry Irish slang meaning pretty much anything;
    Pass me that yolk
    What's that yolk?
    Where's the yolk gone?

Sorry Irish slang meaning pretty much anything;
    Pass me that yolk
    What's that yolk?
    Where's the yolk gone?
    Thanks, interesting - I'll know next time I hear it!

Quote Originally Posted by Barney12 View Post
    Very interesting thread.

I’m just in the process of finishing the landscaping of my 1 acre garden (after building a new house). Very first grass cut happened last week!

It’s a challenging site, with some big slopes (actually barely any flat ground) and two areas (but could be linked across a gravel drive).
    I’ve got quotes to keep the lawn under control which are broadly £150-200 a month for fortnightly mows. I’ve certainly not got the time (or equipment) to do it myself.

Beginning to wonder if the 435x is a viable alternative?
    Cutting a lawn every two weeks will not result in a good looking lawn, it's just not frequent enough during the growing seasons. I suspect the 435X would cover your sloping lawns but I'd be tempted to visit your local Husqvarna dealer with some photographs of the lawns and ask them to do a site visit to advise prior to purchase and installation.

There are a few threads here on Robotic Mowers and if you look at the photographs you'll see how good the lawns look when using them. Happy to advise on Husqvarna models, I have two.

Craftsman
    Cutting a lawn every two weeks will not result in a good looking lawn, it's just not frequent enough during the growing seasons. I suspect the 435X would cover your sloping lawns but I'd be tempted to visit your local Husqvarna dealer with some photographs of the lawns and ask them to do a site visit to advise prior to purchase and installation.

There are a few threads here on Robotic Mowers and if you look at the photographs you'll see how good the lawns look when using them. Happy to advise on Husqvarna models, I have two.
    Thanks, pretty much the conclusion I came to after some extensive Googling this evening is that a site visit by someone knowledgeable is the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney12 View Post
    Thanks, pretty much the conclusion I came to after some extensive Googling this evening is that a site visit by someone knowledgeable is the answer.
    An acre might be a bit of a stretch for the 435x, especially with slopes and other complexities thrown in. The rated max area is 3500m2, but that assumes a flat open plan lawn, slopes and narrow passages will reduce the max area it can cover. You could always buy 2?

Craftsman
    I was set to buy one for our small lawn - it suffers from brown patches and dries out very quickly (London on clay soil), but I had a lawn expert round to quote for sorting the patches out. He recommended against a robot mower due to the thatch they leave behind - he took some core samples and showed me the thatch we already have is stopping water getting to the soil and said this will just get worse with a robot mower. He did say the random pattern would benefit the grass, and I don’t fancy replicating that’s with a petrol mower!

I gave it a good rake (backbreaking!) and got a whole bin full of thatch and will scarify in the autumn - but I don’t want to undo this by getting a new gadget!

Is this nonsense - have I misunderstood? Do the cuttings genuinely rot away? Perhaps it’s something to get once I’ve scarified rather than before?

Quote Originally Posted by maxf View Post
    I was set to buy one for our small lawn - it suffers from brown patches and dries out very quickly (London on clay soil), but I had a lawn expert round to quote for sorting the patches out. He recommended against a robot mower due to the thatch they leave behind - he took some core samples and showed me the thatch we already have is stopping water getting to the soil and said this will just get worse with a robot mower. He did say the random pattern would benefit the grass, and I don’t fancy replicating that’s with a petrol mower!

I gave it a good rake (backbreaking!) and got a whole bin full of thatch and will scarify in the autumn - but I don’t want to undo this by getting a new gadget!

Is this nonsense - have I misunderstood? Do the cuttings genuinely rot away? Perhaps it’s something to get once I’ve scarified rather than before?
    Robots cut little and often, a couple of mm at a time, so you won't get thatch building up as that's with longer cuttings, plenty of before and after pics on this thread that show the improvement. You're far more likely to get thatch build up cutting weekly with a conventional mower, even though it collects cuttings, plenty of those long cuttings will be left on the lawn, as evidenced by your current thatch situation. It is generally recommended to scarify before installing a robot.

Craftsman
    Further. I can't get into grounds to check as club still shut. sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by maxf View Post

It's nonsense; he clearly doesn't know what he's talking about and has little, if any, first-hand experience of robotic mowers. The thatch build up in my lawn prior to scarifying and installing the robotic mower was significant. Now, after 3 years with the first mower there is zero thatch build up.