closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Robot lawnmower

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    Does anyone have experience with Gardena mowers?

My lawn area is just over 300 square meters so he Husqavarna 105 or garden 500 would be more than adequate.

They’re both the same price but the garden has smart phone control which I would prefer - easier to programme etc.

Just wanted to know how it compares against the Husqavarna?
    You really don't need smart phone control save your money and get the flymo

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    It is and as you may be able to make out I was part way through jet washing moss from the driveway - another hell of a job! Here's a shot from just in front of the house:

And looking back at the house (note that this was taken just prior to the purchase of the second robotic mower and you can see the brown areas of grass from cutting just once a week:

Stunning pad.

Craftsman
    Takes me around an hour and a half to cut the grass and it's probably the most relaxing hour and a half of my week

I was interested in these, but mentioned it to my wife earlier and she pointed out that it’s good exercise to push a mower. I guess that idea’s been vetoed

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    I was interested in these, but mentioned it to my wife earlier and she pointed out that it’s good exercise to push a mower. I guess that idea’s been vetoed
    Have you asked her to do it each week for a year or more?

Have you asked her to do it each week for a year or more?
    To be fair, she did it for a whole summer after I had a back operation. That was pushing a big petrol mower to do our 1/3 of an acre.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    You really don't need smart phone control save your money and get the flymo
    Flymo seems a bargain, is it really just a rebadged Husqavarna?

Flymo seems a bargain, is it really just a rebadged Husqavarna?
    Yes. It's a husqvarna 105. The only difference I can see is a skid plate under the 105. I suspect the 400 vs 600m2 capacity is software related.

Watch the flymo on amazon off season and they drop to £450 regularly. I paid £850 for the same thing with a different badge!.... But at least got a decent spec Husqvarna pressure washer bundled in, which I needed at the time. Still threw away a couple of hundred quid for a badge mind you.

Superb, that's saved me a few hundred quid!

Ordered a McCulloch S400 - hoping it arrives before the weekend so I can install.

Will bury the cables rather than peg them round. Looking forward to getting it.

Robot lawnmower

Spent the entire day yesterday installing the boundary wire and guide wire. Buried them so took ages. I gave the lawn a final mow with my petrol mower and then put the Mobot into action over night. It has 7 hieght settings and i chose 4 thinking it would be a close to match to what I gave the lawn with the petrol mower so it just maintains the current height.

Woke up this morning to what looks like a crop circle and lots of cut grass, the grass it has cut is far too long to fall inbetween the blades of grass. I assume that it was just cutting off far too much so have now chosen a higher level for the mower.

Is this correct? Also do the track marks disappear.

My lawn is suffering from red thread so is being treated today by Green Thumb so will look less straw like too ,

thanks

It'll take a week or so before the bot gets the lawn down to a level - those stripes will disappear then. Set it on a fairly long working day at the start... let it do its thing.

It'll be interesting to see your progress.

Now that you only have the odd edge to strim.... I can highly recommend the GTech ST20 - only weighs 1.7kg and has free blades for life (just pay postage). A brilliant bit of kit for quickly lifting out of the shed to do those wee bits the robot can't cover. https://www.gtech.co.uk/garden-tools...s-trimmer.html
    Last edited by JohnnyE; 28th June 2019 at 09:31.

From your description and the picture it may be that your lawn needs scarifying. The fact that you've buried the cables will mean you can safely do this without damaging them. If it does need scarifying either get Green Thumb to do it or be prepared for a lot of time collecting and disposing of all the debris.

Master
    Been running my Mcculloch ROB 1000 for a few months now. Decided on the Mcculloch as it's basically a re branded Husqvarna, even came with a Husqvarna power adapter. Other than a couple of minor hiccups (ate a pair of jeans that fell off the line, and also a bit of fibre optic cable that was being run) been running very well indeed. Even has his own little house round the side of ours.

Master
    Sorry if it had been asked before - how do you avoid the robots being stolen?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post
    they are pin code protected

Master
    Not sure if there's a whole lot you can do about them being stolen. But mine has a pin code so not much use to anyone. Some have GPS trackers and app connection to warn you if it's moved / stolen as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post
    Nothing will prevent one from being stolen, however, with the Husqvarna and assuming you have the Automower Connect (AMC) module installed then there are several measures:

- The mower is PIN protected and won't work unless it is entered correctly.
    - You can set a geofence radius, if the mower goes outside this then it will alarm (on the mower - a loud siren) and alert you via the AMC app. You can see the GPS position on a map via the app.
    - The serial numbers of stolen mowers are entered into a database and any attempt to have them serviced will alert the dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    It'll take a week or so before the bot gets the lawn down to a level - those stripes will disappear then. Set it on a fairly long working day at the start... let it do its thing.

Now that you only have the odd edge to strim.... I can highly recommend the GTech ST20 - only weighs 1.7kg and has free blades for life (just pay postage). A brilliant bit of kit for quickly lifting out of the shed to do those wee bits the robot can't cover. https://www.gtech.co.uk/garden-tools...s-trimmer.html
    I didn't think about setting it to start longer working days, just used the normal wizard. Which suggested 6 hours, but makes complete sense so will increase the hours to begin with. Will post a few pic after its bedded in.

I was actually going to post a thread on streamer recommendations. Currently have a wired bosch which is too much grief to use due to extensions cables etc, GTech looks superb so will orde one.

From your description and the picture it may be that your lawn needs scarifying. The fact that you've buried the cables will mean you can safely do this without damaging them. If it does need scarifying either get Green Thumb to do it or be prepared for a lot of time collecting and disposing of all the debris.
    I think you're right, its annoying as the lawn was only laid two years ago. I took longer with the install and buried the cables for that exact reason so will get round to doing it shortly . I'll use Green Thumb to scarify as you suggested, they have the tool and will do it in a quarter of the time it will take me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonesey View Post
    Been running my Mcculloch ROB 1000 for a few months now. Decided on the Mcculloch as it's basically a re branded Husqvarna, even came with a Husqvarna power adapter. Other than a couple of minor hiccups (ate a pair of jeans that fell off the line, and also a bit of fibre optic cable that was being run) been running very well indeed. Even has his own little house round the side of ours.

]

Bonesey what Setting is the lawn height you have used there?

After the first cut I have discovered 4 is far too short so have put it to maximum and will dial down to 6 after a week and if not happy then 5 after that.

I didn't think about setting it to start longer working days, just used the normal wizard. Which suggested 6 hours, but makes complete sense so will increase the hours to begin with. Will post a few pic after its bedded in.

I was actually going to post a thread on streamer recommendations. Currently have a wired bosch which is too much grief to use due to extensions cables etc, GTech looks superb so will orde one.
    +£20 gets you a nice wall bracket too... https://www.gtech.co.uk/gardening-ac...rden-rack.html

I've the hedge trimmer as well (and the leaf blower.. which drops to £99 in winter sales!). The hedge clipper uses the same 18V pack as the strimmer which is handy. Google for voucher codes. They do regular money off although I couldnt find anything today for the strimmer. Peak season I guess.

Master
    Bonesey what Setting is the lawn height you have used there?

After the first cut I have discovered 4 is far too short so have put it to maximum and will dial down to 6 after a week and if not happy then 5 after that.
    Keep it on the highest when I'm away at work for a month at a time. Less risk of it getting jammed on a stick or something. Drop it down one notch when I'm at home. I don't need a bowling green.

Master
    Currently have a wired bosch which is too much grief to use due to extensions cables etc, GTech looks superb so will orde one.
    I have the cordless Bosch and it's excellent so far. Great battery life and decent strimming power.

For long term robot users, what do you do in winter?

Quote Originally Posted by Chewitt13 View Post
    For the higher end husqvarna models, dealers offer a winter service and storage solution, new blades, update software, give it a clean and then store it for you till spring. Not free of course. Most people I assume put them in the garage or shed, there are wall hanger brackets available. For me, living in the sticks with a garage and shed infested with rodents who chew and nest in everything, I just left mine where it was in the garden, didn't seem to do it any harm.

Quote Originally Posted by Chewitt13 View Post
    I still use the mowers in the Winter as long as the temperature is above 5C or so, maybe once a week - the grass still grows albeit very slowly. I take my two Husqvarna mowers for a service, get software updates and a clean. The service is essential to extend the warranty to 3 years. It costs £56 per mower. If the temperature is forecast to be around or below 0C then they are fully powered down and brought into the garage for as long as required.

+£20 gets you a nice wall bracket too... https://www.gtech.co.uk/gardening-ac...rden-rack.html

I've the hedge trimmer as well (and the leaf blower.. which drops to £99 in winter sales!). The hedge clipper uses the same 18V pack as the strimmer which is handy. Google for voucher codes. They do regular money off although I couldnt find anything today for the strimmer. Peak season I guess.
    Strimmer and rack ordered . Annoyingly couldn’t find a discount code.

Have set the mower for 10 hours a day at the highest level, will bring it down owner level at a time till i reach a level i am happy with.

Journeyman
    Our biggest install to date on a husqvarna 450x. 1 acre of grass and 1400 meters of guide wire, 3 cross overs, a speed ramp to conduit and a fence. A bit sun burnt but a happy customer.

Last edited by Irish boy; 1st July 2019 at 16:56.

Craftsman
    I am not joking when I say that our Automower has transformed my free time in the growing season. It was an uncontrollable mess of moss and now?.. I sit on the bench with a coffee watching my wee Husqvarna 105 do its thing. Simply amazing.

My last, painful, rotary cut v's today, a year in.

I had so much moss, I could only cut at max height with the self driven mower. This is how much moss I had AFTER cutting:

In complete contrast, this is the back lawn today:

My front lawn... ruined with the mower and moss. I tried with chemicals etc and it was a losing battle. This was my last cut a year ago:

Today?.. the front lawn looks quite wonderful in my opinion!!

Mower in question is a Husqvarna 105, the entry model capable of 600m2. I have separate lawns, unjoined, so fitted docking stations in both gardens. I simply lift the mower between them mid week.
    OMG, that is bloody fantastic, I thought they were a bit of a gimmick. Going to take a serious look at these now

@JohnnyE superb recommendation on the GTech. I was a touch dubious on the battery life but just did my garden all i needed was 5 minutes. No nylon cord snapping due to the blades.

Very pleased.

@JohnnyE superb recommendation on the GTech. I was a touch dubious on the battery life but just did my garden all i needed was 5 minutes. No nylon cord snapping due to the blades.

Very pleased.
    If you have hedges... GET the HT20 hedge trimmer: https://www.gtech.co.uk/garden-tools...e-trimmer.html

... but wait till off season. i got mine, with the branch cutter and pole extension for £129 delivered! Uses the same battery as your strimmer so you'll have 2 packs for each job now. I'm maintaining a monster pair of laurel hedges with mine where my 2 stroke pole trimmer couldnt. No fatigue.. no smelly clothes from the 2 stroke... plus I can just grab it and go out for half an hour here and there.

This beast of a blower... was £99 at Christmas time! https://www.gtech.co.uk/garden-tools/leaf-blower.html and will compliment your new maintenance free lawn. Strim... blow the clippings into the lawn... let the "bot" eat them! https://www.gtech.co.uk/garden-tools/leaf-blower.html
    Last edited by JohnnyE; 3rd July 2019 at 12:36.

Just to add:

£42 off Hedge Trimmer with Branch Cutter Orders at Gtech with code 96FS

or.... free wall rack, safety kit and branch cutter with code 85GS is quite a deal.

£99 for the leaf blower! Bargain - I will definitely check out of season and see if I can bag one of those. I've got a petrol one which weights a tonne, stinks and is noisy as hell.

£99 for the leaf blower! Bargain - I will definitely check out of season and see if I can bag one of those. I've got a petrol one which weights a tonne, stinks and is noisy as hell.
    Sign up to their newsletter and you will get the offers on the run up to Christmas. The leaf blower is awesome. Rather handy for drying alloys wheels off after a clean too!

Just over a week later . Superb little machine along with the Gtech strimmer I’ve gone from 2 hours a week to 5 mins . Was the daughters end of nursery party yesterday hence the bunting.

Just over a week later . Superb little machine along with the Gtech strimmer I’ve gone from 2 hours a week to 5 mins . Was the daughters end of nursery party yesterday hence the bunting.
    Looks much much better. Proof most things look worse before getting better

Bargain time! Flymo 1200 R Lithium-Ion Robotic Lawnmower Up to 400 sq m, 18 V https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00C70LU..._Ye-kDb0RT8MYB

£399 for what's essentially a husqvarna 105.

Master
    Bargain time! Flymo 1200 R Lithium-Ion Robotic Lawnmower Up to 400 sq m, 18 V https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00C70LU..._Ye-kDb0RT8MYB

£399 for what's essentially a husqvarna 105.
    Just came on here to give basically the same heads up... Prime members price... never been as cheap.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I assume you need to run these every day as clippings are left on the lawn?

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Ideally, yes... Altgough I move mine between front and rear lawns and so there's a few days that each isn't being cut. It manages no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    It's more a case of judging how long it takes for your mower to cover the lawn. If, for example, it takes 8hrs of mowing to cover your whole lawn then 8hrs a day every other day would be absolutely fine. There is an element of guesswork in determining this. One area of my lawn can be covered in around 10 hrs of mowing with the Husqvarna 430X so during the growing season it's set to mow every other day for 10hrs. Another area of lawn takes the Husqvarna 315X around 15hrs to cover the whole lawn so I have it run every day bar two for 13hrs a day. You'll know you've got it about right when you don't see any areas that haven't been cut for 3 or 4 days - they'll stand out........or up!

Master
    Do you all have little garages/shelters for your robotic friend?

Why are they so expensive?

Master
    I've just ordered one on the Amazon Prime deal. Genuinely excited!

It's not the pushing the lawnmover that pisses me off, it's the carting the grass off down the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by langtoft lad View Post
    Do you all have little garages/shelters for your robotic friend?

Why are they so expensive?
    The pre built garages are stupidly expensive. There's no reason why.

Search 'automower garage' on YouTube for some eye popping DIY jobs!

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    I've just ordered one on the Amazon Prime deal. Genuinely excited!

It's not the pushing the lawnmover that pisses me off, it's the carting the grass off down the tip.
    Why not compost it or don't bother collecting it (a robot mower doesn't)?

Craftsman
    Quick questions for owners. What do you do in winter and autumn with regards to leaves? Do you still keep a mower for collecting them or do you just let the robot mulch away?

I have quick a big garden, circa 2 acres, with plenty of trees - lovely in spring/summer but a curse in autumn/winter.

I currently have a Countax K1850 with PGC but it's getting a bit temperamental now and was thinking of changing. I have 2 decks for it - a mulching one, used in the summer, and a normal cutter. This thread has me thinking :)

Jake

Craftsman
    Thanks for posting the Amazon deal - ordered today!

I bought a gtech cordless blower. I just blow them all off the lawn. £499... But around Christmas time, down to £99

@Jake

Watch this... In hindsight, my comment about a blower is no use for a 2 acre problem!

https://youtu.be/tmK3KhW-9SM