closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Robot lawnmower

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    It's nonsense; he clearly doesn't know what he's talking about and has little, if any, first-hand experience of robotic mowers.
    Or self preservation propaganda

Craftsman
    The thatch build up in my lawn prior to scarifying and installing the robotic mower was significant. Now, after 3 years with the first mower there is zero thatch build up.
    That’s what I needed - thanks.

As said above... Load of rubbish. He's looking to secure his income! On my phone so can't embed these... But before and after pics of my lawn are here. Easy to see the radical improvement https://flic.kr/s/aHsmEh2RzS

Craftsman
    Flymo 1200r now £496 on amazon. Getting tempted but thinking to wait to get it after scarifiying in Autumn which I have signed up with Greenthumb to do.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post
    Flymo 1200r now £496 on amazon. Getting tempted but thinking to wait to get it after scarifiying in Autumn which I have signed up with Greenthumb to do.

Buy it now and get the lawn scarified ASAP, not in Autumn. You need to scarify when growing conditions are good i.e. Spring/Summer so that the lawn will recover. Water the lawn if necessary to aid recovery. If you scarify in Autumn and the growing slows you'll end up with a lot of weeds.

Craftsman
    Buy it now and get the lawn scarified ASAP, not in Autumn. You need to scarify when growing conditions are good i.e. Spring/Summer so that the lawn will recover. Water the lawn if necessary to aid recovery. If you scarify in Autumn and the growing slows you'll end up with a lot of weeds.
    The Greenthumb guy said it was the wrong time to scarify. I will contact them to discuss as I would rather scarify first and then install perimeter for obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post
    The Greenthumb guy said it was the wrong time to scarify. I will contact them to discuss as I would rather scarify first and then install perimeter for obvious reasons.

There's really only one criteria as to when to scarify a lawn: when the grass is growing strongly. This is when it's warm and the soil is moist. You can keep the soil moist by regular watering which leaves temperature, hence Spring and Summer. If you leave it until Autumn there may not be enough time for the lawn to recover fully (around 6 - 8 weeks) before the temperature drops and growth slows markedly.

I’m so annoyed I didn’t get a Flymo 1200R when they were cheap on Amazon Prime last year. If anyone spots them for ca. £400 please let me know!

The perimeter wire that goes on the ground.....can it be rejoined if you go through it or do you have to replace the whole loop again?

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    The perimeter wire that goes on the ground.....can it be rejoined if you go through it or do you have to replace the whole loop again?
    You just repair the break. There are waterproof crimp connectors for the job. I use a short hand saw... Cut a slice in the turf... And press the repair section underground.

Apprentice

Manual start issue

I have and love my Flymo 1200r, does a great job. One thing though... When I go to manual mode and start it off, it just rolls forward off the Dock and stops. I then have to reselect Manual and press start again for it to start mowing. Does anyone else have this? I understand it should just go straight into mowing?

Thanks

Set this up today - Worx Landroid M500
    Easy set up although the knees took a bashing, guessing about 2 hours in total to lay the wire as wanted to get it spot on so didn’t rush it. Connected to the net no worries and the app for scheduling is great. It’s been cutting for over
    2 hours today, covered 2 km and I’d say it’s probably 70% done. Even the wife was impressed as it took the long straggly bits her crappy little flymo couldn’t cope with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by magicmat View Post
    I have and love my Flymo 1200r, does a great job. One thing though... When I go to manual mode and start it off, it just rolls forward off the Dock and stops. I then have to reselect Manual and press start again for it to start mowing. Does anyone else have this? I understand it should just go straight into mowing?

Thanks
    That's as expected. Manual mode is for bringing the mower to a separate lawn area where the mower cant get back to the dock.

My neighbors is like this. Back lawn has the dock. No passageway to the front lawn. Loop travels under his fence to the front lawn.

1. Set mower in manual mode.
    2. It charges
    3. When charged, it moves 1m and stops to let you know it's ready to carry to the remote area.
    4. Mower cuts front lawn but can't get back to the dock
    5. Mower waits to be carried back to the rear... Where the dock resides.

And repeat

I'm in the same position here but couldn't be bothered with all that. I bought a 2nd dock for the front garden.

Master
    I’m reading this thread with great interest were in the process of sorting our garden once done I’ll be investing in one, please keep updating how whichever model you have is getting on because there’s so man6 to choose from now.
    roughly 320 sqm of grass so not a huge amount to cut.
    This week I bought a dewalt pole saw to start on the trees we have and I can’t believe how good it is, So much so my usual chainsaw which is a pain every year to get running is being replaced with a dewalt battery version.

Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    I’m reading this thread with great interest were in the process of sorting our garden once done I’ll be investing in one, please keep updating how whichever model you have is getting on because there’s so man6 to choose from now.
    roughly 320 sqm of grass so not a huge amount to cut.
    This week I bought a dewalt pole saw to start on the trees we have and I can’t believe how good it is, So much so my usual chainsaw which is a pain every year to get running is being replaced with a dewalt battery version.
    Our garden is a bit smaller than yours at around 300 sqm. We went for worx Landroid 500M as I wanted cut to edge.
    The smaller models would have sufficed however they don’t come with cut to edge technology. It suggests you should cut the grass to start off with but it was done mid week and didn’t bother. These are the results after 2 days work which equates to about 6 hours run time and about 7km travelled. Got to say I’m rather impressed considering it’s only day 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a cracking finish - I so wish I had a nicely edged lawn like that! Mine has hardly a straight line and WAY too many borders. I need a digger!

SydR
    I’ve taken the ‘easy’ option and gone with artificial grass .

Master
    Our garden is a bit smaller than yours at around 300 sqm. We went for worx Landroid 500M as I wanted cut to edge.
    The smaller models would have sufficed however they don’t come with cut to edge technology. It suggests you should cut the grass to start off with but it was done mid week and didn’t bother. These are the results after 2 days work which equates to about 6 hours run time and about 7km travelled. Got to say I’m rather impressed considering it’s only day 2

Franky that’s superb thanks for the info, it’s the Landroid I’ve been looking at Because of the edge cut and the app etc. It’ll probably be September at least before we’ve finished everything so I’m not buying yet unless I see a good sale.

Franky that’s superb thanks for the info, it’s the Landroid I’ve been looking at Because of the edge cut and the app etc. It’ll probably be September at least before we’ve finished everything so I’m not buying yet unless I see a good sale.
    The app is excellent, you have so much control and info available. When you’re ready give me a shout if you need any help.

My beeping lawnmower died half way through cutting the grass on Sunday...where are all the cheap robot deals when I need one?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    My beeping lawnmower died half way through cutting the grass on Sunday...where are all the cheap robot deals when I need one?!?
    Husqvarna 105 is on offer: https://promo.husqvarna.com/uk/bundl...-self-install/

Master
    The app is excellent, you have so much control and info available. When you’re ready give me a shout if you need any help.
    I definitely will thank you, got a builder coming round tonight about removing a wall and sorting the driveway out need to move some rose bushes and another wall then we should be set. I was hoping to get the driveway either pressed concrete or resin bonded then I worked out the prices and we’ll be having it regravelled lol

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    Thanks but a bit over my price range (still hoping to pick up a Flymo 1200R for £400!)

Master
    Thanks but a bit over my price range (still hoping to pick up a Flymo 1200R for £400!)
    Keep hoping lol, for the similar prices at the moment I’d go for the Landroid over the Flymo from what I’ve read

Master

Robot lawnmower

I definitely will thank you, got a builder coming round tonight about removing a wall and sorting the driveway out need to move some rose bushes and another wall then we should be set. I was hoping to get the driveway either pressed concrete or resin bonded then I worked out the prices and we’ll be having it regravelled lol
    Yes, our resin drive was eye watering, but I love it now the memory of the price has faded away a little!

Wife has banned me from a robot mower as she enjoys cutting the grass. We don’t have much, but I like the idea of it just doing little & often, garden probably doesn’t require one as only about 60m2 due to the way we have deep contoured borders (and a much smaller garden than the posts here!)
    Last edited by Mj2k; 23rd June 2020 at 22:31.

Wouldn't be without ours..
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Maybe a major manufacturer will release a new even smaller cheaper model next year? Heres hoping

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Yes, our resin drive was eye watering, but I love it now the memory of the price has faded away a little!

Wife has banned me from a robot mower as she enjoys cutting the grass. We don’t have much, but I like the idea of it just doing little & often, garden probably doesn’t require one as only about 60m2 due to the way we have deep contoured borders (and a much smaller garden than the posts here!)
    The resin drives look amazing but there’s just no chance for our driveway quote at just shy of 80k so I’m sticking with gravel lol

Craftsman
    I’m so annoyed I didn’t get a Flymo 1200R when they were cheap on Amazon Prime last year. If anyone spots them for ca. £400 please let me know!
    You could make a bid on this. It is missing the boundary wire which you can get for about £40

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flymo-120....m46890.l49292

Master
    The resin drives look amazing but there’s just no chance for our driveway quote at just shy of 80k so I’m sticking with gravel lol
    Wow, based on ours only being large enough to park 2 cars and a small Smart on it, with a path to the rear & how much that cost, I’ve also got a view as to the size of your drive!

80k is a ridiculous amount for a drive. Gravel for the win here!

Blog Entries
    If that annoys you i won't tell you about the B&Q offer....picked up one myself.

Erm did you buy two?!

Roughly what area is that for, if you don’t mind me asking?

Robot lawnmower

Resin drive for £80k ? Your drive must be enormous,

My resin drive in my old place cost £800 for my builder to do a the base which was 100m concrete reinforced with mesh .

Then the resin company did the top and edging for £2600.

This is for a drive to fit about 2-3 cars .

Have to say solid as hell in 2 years no issues and not one stone came loose . This was installed in 2013 here’s an old pic I grabbed from Rightmove .

Last edited by eagletower; 25th June 2020 at 16:29.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Roughly what area is that for, if you don’t mind me asking?
    Just shy of 600m2 and included cobbled edging and a few other bits we wanted doing , I think it was a bit of a go away price but had a quick google of even tarmac costs and settled on gravel lol. A neighbour of my mums had it done and it looked lovely so asked the guy for a price without even thinking it would be into those figures shows just how out of touch I was, I expected about 15k.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    If that annoys you i won't tell you about the B&Q offer....picked up one myself.

When was that offer?

Master
    Wow just wow, proper garage inspiration

https://youtu.be/tLis0VMGIfw

Master
    Wow just wow, proper garage inspiration

https://youtu.be/tLis0VMGIfw
    The garage looks great but his lawn looks crap.

Anyone suffered a line break before? One that ISN'T visible?

My dock has a flashing blue light - indicative of a broken loop. Fire up diagnostic mode in the automower, and indeed 0% loop signal.

So....

I switch the guide wire in place of a normal loop connection and can see that its happening on one half of the lawn, as you'd expect. Problem is... there IS a signal getting through. I can do a voltmeter test and get a connection right round the loop.

I then bought a cheap AM radio. Tuned to 700Mhz which allows you to hear the wire signal. I can leave ONLY the faulty half connected and trace a signal right round the whole loop!!

WTF.

So I've a break.. but no break..

I wonder is this a failing repair underground. Degradation of signal... I suspect I'll have to pull up the offending half of the loop and put a fresh one in. Yuk.

Meanwhile, the grass is growing fast!

PS. I've a spare charging dock, so I've ruled a faulty dock out of the equation

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    Anyone suffered a line break before? One that ISN'T visible?

My dock has a flashing blue light - indicative of a broken loop. Fire up diagnostic mode in the automower, and indeed 0% loop signal.

So....

I switch the guide wire in place of a normal loop connection and can see that its happening on one half of the lawn, as you'd expect. Problem is... there IS a signal getting through. I can do a voltmeter test and get a connection right round the loop.

I then bought a cheap AM radio. Tuned to 700Mhz which allows you to hear the wire signal. I can leave ONLY the faulty half connected and trace a signal right round the whole loop!!

WTF.

So I've a break.. but no break..

I wonder is this a failing repair underground. Degradation of signal... I suspect I'll have to pull up the offending half of the loop and put a fresh one in. Yuk.

Meanwhile, the grass is growing fast!

PS. I've a spare charging dock, so I've ruled a faulty dock out of the equation
    Is the guide wire plugged in while doing all that? Maybe thats confusing things?

Unplug guide wire, unplug 1 boundary, plug guide into the unplugged boundary connection, do you have a signal? If so that half of the boundary is good, if not bad.
    Repeat with the the other boundary wire, assuming you have only 1 break, the result should be the opposite of above.
    Then leave the guide wire and 1 good boundary unplugged, follow the plugged in duff boundary with your radio until the signal stops, that should be your break point.

Sounds like you've done all that, but maybe with the guide wire still plugged in?

I've had precisely the issue you describe quite recently. I have a line tester and the loop tested fine and so I was at a bit of a loss as to how to proceed. I checked all the connections multiple times and didn't relish the thought of starting to dig up sections of the loop (halving the distance each time) and so called in my local dealer. It took two of them two hours to find and fix the break as their line tester also showed a circuit continuity. When they found the issue it was an area of frayed wire where it almost looked as though it had been chewed by an animal (Mole?). Sometimes you just have to throw money at the problem...........which reminds me, I haven't had an invoice!

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Is the guide wire plugged in while doing all that? Maybe thats confusing things?

Unplug guide wire, unplug 1 boundary, plug guide into the unplugged boundary connection, do you have a signal? If so that half of the boundary is good, if not bad.
    Repeat with the the other boundary wire, assuming you have only 1 break, the result should be the opposite of above.
    Then leave the guide wire and 1 good boundary unplugged, follow the plugged in duff boundary with your radio until the signal stops, that should be your break point.

Sounds like you've done all that, but maybe with the guide wire still plugged in?
    When I use the guide wire to chop the loop in half - one side is dead (flashing blue light) and the other gives a yellow flashing light.

When I try the AM radio, I've got the guide wire disconnected and JUST the LH loop going out only (nothing in the RH return side)... so just 1 wire connected. thing is... I can get a signal right at the disconnected end of the loop!

So... I think its a degraded signal rather than a break.

If I can get an equivalent cable cheaply... I think I'll just pull it all up. The garden's not that massive. An hour would do it.

EDIT: the one place I need to check 1st.. is where the guide splices to the main loop. I'll refresh those joints and if that doesn't work, start over.
    Last edited by JohnnyE; 7th July 2020 at 21:24.

I've had precisely the issue you describe quite recently. I have a line tester and the loop tested fine and so I was at a bit of a loss as to how to proceed. I checked all the connections multiple times and didn't relish the thought of starting to dig up sections of the loop (halving the distance each time) and so called in my local dealer. It took two of them two hours to find and fix the break as their line tester also showed a circuit continuity. When they found the issue it was an area of frayed wire where it almost looked as though it had been chewed by an animal (Mole?). Sometimes you just have to throw money at the problem...........which reminds me, I haven't had an invoice!
    Sounds exactly like my issue. I strimmed the border recently.... I've wondered if that nicked the line (its a Gtech strimmer... solid blade, not a wire strimmer).

Master
    Those of you with mowers if you could buy what you have again or go for a different model? Which model If you could explain your reasoning that’d be really helpful, I’m leaning towards a landroid seems to get closer to the edges but that’s the only really pro I can see.

Those of you with mowers if you could buy what you have again or go for a different model? Which model If you could explain your reasoning that’d be really helpful, I’m leaning towards a landroid seems to get closer to the edges but that’s the only really pro I can see.
    Id certainly buy the same again. The Landroid has been faultless since installation including the WiFi connection and app.

Master
    Very happy with my Flymo 1200R at price paid.
    Would I buy it again? Certainly.
    Would I consider a different model? Obviously, especially if it adds useful features at no great cost... I wouldn't consider an App as useful.

Quote Originally Posted by langtoft lad View Post
    Very happy with my Flymo 1200R at price paid.
    Would I buy it again? Certainly.
    Would I consider a different model? Obviously, especially if it adds useful features at no great cost... I wouldn't consider an App as useful.
    The app is great, set schedules, check status, set it going, take it home, it maps your garden size. It’s more than just a gimmick

Apprentice
    Just came across this forum post by chance and I may have a couple of useful things to add. I am on my third season with a Husky 430X.

1. I would definitely get another robot mower if this one failed. One of the best gardening decisions I have ever made. Why pay £4k or more for a decent ride-on when you can buy one of these for £2,500 or less.

2. This model has been reliable but I have had to replace the battery and a minor set of bearings where the cutter plate is. Fortunately, this was done under warranty by my local dealer (where I bought the unit). Anecdotally, I have read that the wheel motors on these models are prone to failing too. When the dealer opened my mower up he also found signs of water ingress, which is worrying. It is overwintered in a dry shed. So. long term, I don't know how reliable it is going to be.

3. The App is really very useful and I wouldn't be without it. It gives me instant feedback about what the unit is doing and exactly where it is (my garden is L shaped, so I cannot always see the mower from my house).

4. The install was straightforward but time consuming. I had to dig a trench to run power to the top of my garden (about three quarters of an acre) and I also decided to bury the cabling. I had to restrict access to a few obstacles, and got through about one and a half reels of the Husky green cabling. Back then, the second real cost about £90.

5. In season one and two, garden pests have been a real problem. I live surrounded by the countryside, which is wonderful and I wouldn't have it any other way. However, we get a lot of visitors - rabbits, mice, voles and moles. Many of these animals go through boom or bust type cycles. We can have almost no moles for five or six years and then a year where we see quite a few. Unfortunately, we had a glut of them in season one. This makes no real difference to the mower's cutting ability but the moles would keep uprooting or chewing through the perimeter cable. Because it was freshly dug in, they even took the opportunity to make the entire cable route a new run. Voles and mice also chew through the cable if it is anywhere near their burrows. This year we've had almost no cable breaks (finger's crossed) but in the first two seasons we must have had more than 25 (that's 50 connectors). So, my only real bugbear is the ruggedness of the cable, which I don't think is fit for purpose. I think last year Husky introduced a steel reinforced cable as a very expensive option and there are now third party versions out there too. In hindsight, I really wish I had installed tougher cabling. If you also have cabling issues then buy a probe style cable detector (only a few quid on Amazon). You won't find a break easily any other way.

So, to sum up - fantastic. The App is well worth having too. I just wish the cabling was a lot tougher.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sixfour View Post
    Just came across this forum post by chance and I may have a couple of useful things to add. I am on my third season with a Husky 430X.

1. I would definitely get another robot mower if this one failed. One of the best gardening decisions I have ever made. Why pay £4k or more for a decent ride-on when you can buy one of these for £2,500 or less.

2. This model has been reliable but I have had to replace the battery and a minor set of bearings where the cutter plate is. Fortunately, this was done under warranty by my local dealer (where I bought the unit). Anecdotally, I have read that the wheel motors on these models are prone to failing too. When the dealer opened my mower up he also found signs of water ingress, which is worrying. It is overwintered in a dry shed. So. long term, I don't know how reliable it is going to be.

3. The App is really very useful and I wouldn't be without it. It gives me instant feedback about what the unit is doing and exactly where it is (my garden is L shaped, so I cannot always see the mower from my house).

4. The install was straightforward but time consuming. I had to dig a trench to run power to the top of my garden (about three quarters of an acre) and I also decided to bury the cabling. I had to restrict access to a few obstacles, and got through about one and a half reels of the Husky green cabling. Back then, the second real cost about £90.

5. In season one and two, garden pests have been a real problem. I live surrounded by the countryside, which is wonderful and I wouldn't have it any other way. However, we get a lot of visitors - rabbits, mice, voles and moles. Many of these animals go through boom or bust type cycles. We can have almost no moles for five or six years and then a year where we see quite a few. Unfortunately, we had a glut of them in season one. This makes no real difference to the mower's cutting ability but the moles would keep uprooting or chewing through the perimeter cable. Because it was freshly dug in, they even took the opportunity to make the entire cable route a new run. Voles and mice also chew through the cable if it is anywhere near their burrows. This year we've had almost no cable breaks (finger's crossed) but in the first two seasons we must have had more than 25 (that's 50 connectors). So, my only real bugbear is the ruggedness of the cable, which I don't think is fit for purpose. I think last year Husky introduced a steel reinforced cable as a very expensive option and there are now third party versions out there too. In hindsight, I really wish I had installed tougher cabling. If you also have cabling issues then buy a probe style cable detector (only a few quid on Amazon). You won't find a break easily any other way.

So, to sum up - fantastic. The App is well worth having too. I just wish the cabling was a lot tougher.
    Brilliant thanks

Apprentice
    Brilliant thanks
    No problem. I forgot to mention another major plus point. I'm not sure anyone else has mentioned this either.

These Husky mowers are almost completely silent. I am sure many other makes are similar.

Imagine how peaceful it would be if everybody could afford to ditch their old petrol mowers and buy these. I used to feel guilty rattling up and down on my old ride-on for up to two hours every weekend. Now, we don't trouble the neighbours at all (not that we have many, but you know what I mean).