closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Robot lawnmower

Well - I'm back in action again! It was a bodged joint that was still connected ok, but causing a signal drop. I soldered in a repair section with shrink tubing over the joints. Hopefully that'll last longer!

In the end I used my crappy £9.99 AM radio off Amazon (perhaps the WORST and crappest thing I've ever bought on Amazon). Just connected the one side of the loop (1 of 3 connections only at the back of the dock). Crawled round on my knees until I found the place where the "buzzing" dropped to a low level. Sure enough, I was 6" off the joint.

Never so glad to see my wee Husqvarna pottering about again tonight! A work colleague called out and as mentioned above, remarked at just how quiet the bot is.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    I am not joking when I say that our Automower has transformed my free time in the growing season. It was an uncontrollable mess of moss and now?.. I sit on the bench with a coffee watching my wee Husqvarna 105 do its thing. Simply amazing.

My last, painful, rotary cut v's today, a year in.

I had so much moss, I could only cut at max height with the self driven mower. This is how much moss I had AFTER cutting:

In complete contrast, this is the back lawn today:

My front lawn... ruined with the mower and moss. I tried with chemicals etc and it was a losing battle. This was my last cut a year ago:

Today?.. the front lawn looks quite wonderful in my opinion!!

Mower in question is a Husqvarna 105, the entry model capable of 600m2. I have separate lawns, unjoined, so fitted docking stations in both gardens. I simply lift the mower between them mid week.
    Are you saying that the robot lawn mower got rid of your moss too???

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    Are you saying that the robot lawn mower got rid of your moss too???
    It hasn't got "rid"... but it HAS reduced it radically. The grass never got a chance to grow properly before but now, the lawn is a deep green which is dominated by grass. Its made a radical difference.

I don't bother to use any moss control any more - and the daily mulching seems to be feeding the lawn well. Its a deep green now, where before it was all moss with strands of grass trying their best.

Master

Dave (My Landroid) has been a fantastic addition to the garden I love it and it’s certainly freed a lot of time up for me, grass looks much better (than the pic which WBA’s the first cut after winter) and the moss is also much better in the time we’ve had him very pleased and well worth the £325 I paid

Dave’s a Landroid S300

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post
    ..... well worth the £325 I paid
    Thats a cracking price - was it on offer? I've a colleague in work looking one...

Master
    Yes it was a great deal at the time from toolstation via hot U.K. deals sadly no longer available

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/wor...tation-3281155

Blog Entries
    Got my carpenter to make me a robot mower garage, the things you do when you're bored during lockdown. Finished in shiplap cladding and will be painted this weekend and roof clad in EPDM. Can finally get round to installing the mower now, just in time for the cutting season to end.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney12 View Post
    Very interesting thread.

I’m just in the process of finishing the landscaping of my 1 acre garden (after building a new house). Very first grass cut happened last week!

It’s a challenging site, with some big slopes (actually barely any flat ground) and two areas (but could be linked across a gravel drive).
    I’ve got quotes to keep the lawn under control which are broadly £150-200 a month for fortnightly mows. I’ve certainly not got the time (or equipment) to do it myself.

Beginning to wonder if the 435x is a viable alternative?
    Just to update this thread. Well “Dave!” (Husky 435x AWD) was installed a couple of weeks ago by my local dealer. The cost of installation was a little under £400 which frankly considering they laid 700m of (the pro grade) guide wire into my lawn and set everything up I think was a bit of a bargain. It took two guys with some clever machinery which cut a trench and buried the cable just under a day to complete.

Frankly it’s amazing! It isn’t even remotely phased by the complex shapes and big gradients. Even during this period of heavy rain it’s just cracked on relentlessly. The grass is already looking better.

If I was being picky the only negative is the gardener still needs to strim the edges as Dave! doesn’t get right to the edges. However, it doesn’t take the gardener too long to whip round with the strimmer.

I’ve seen the future, the future is Dave!

I should probably add; I’m worryingly fond of my new mate. I find myself checking the app to see where he is. If he drives past me I of course say “alright Dave!” and found myself this week asking the local Amazon delivery guy if he’d met Dave! yet. 😳😁

Awesome garage dadam02.

As for "Dave".... That's perfectly normal! My family, neighbours, postman and delivery people all love to watch our "robochop" at work.

Husqvarna did a competition recently on Instagram to crown the best automower garage. Some serious stuff! Here's the top finalists: https://www.instagram.com/p/CDbfLLlD...=17njf35c7nzce

Blog Entries
    Decent weather so finished off the mower garage:

Now need to dig out the mower and get on with installing it next week, although I better be quick as my 3 year old daughter seems to have other ideas for its use.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney12 View Post
    Just to update this thread. Well “Dave!” (Husky 435x AWD) was installed a couple of weeks ago by my local dealer. The cost of installation was a little under £400 which frankly considering they laid 700m of (the pro grade) guide wire into my lawn and set everything up I think was a bit of a bargain. It took two guys with some clever machinery which cut a trench and buried the cable just under a day to complete.

Frankly it’s amazing! It isn’t even remotely phased by the complex shapes and big gradients. Even during this period of heavy rain it’s just cracked on relentlessly. The grass is already looking better.

If I was being picky the only negative is the gardener still needs to strim the edges as Dave! doesn’t get right to the edges. However, it doesn’t take the gardener too long to whip round with the strimmer.

I’ve seen the future, the future is Dave!

I should probably add; I’m worryingly fond of my new mate. I find myself checking the app to see where he is. If he drives past me I of course say “alright Dave!” and found myself this week asking the local Amazon delivery guy if he’d met Dave! yet. 
    Nice to see a 435x in the wild, you don't see many. Say hi to Dave, I know him well, 2 years of my life building, dismantling and tinkering with him and his brothers

Master
    First day of grass cutting today prompted me to order a Landroid M500 with added acs to hopefully avoid any kids toys I’ve not noticed, hopefully here towards the end of the month which should give me time to order a load of topsoil and grass seed for the areas we’ve had redone it’s just been too cold to do anything with the muddy patches left. I must be getting old because I’m genuinely excited lol.

A timely bump as we just bought a robot hoover today and I really want one to cut the grass.

I'm going to research tonight but is there a general consensus on brand/model? Thank you

Master
    We’ve gone for the worx landroid 500 after reading countless reviews etc etc, I couldn’t tell you what’s it’s like in use as it’s been delayed shipping I’ve got fingers crossed for this week but I’m prepared to be disappointed lol. It’s all down to the size of your garden what you go for.

Thanks, not a big garden but it's a combination of laziness and the robots doing a better job. Much greener grass.

Last owner had a trampoline which has ruined the back but we'll plant seeds this week.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 9th May 2021 at 20:45.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Thanks, not a big garden but it's a combination of laziness and the robots doing a better job. Much greener grass.

Last owner had a trampoline which has ruined the back but we'll plant seeds this week.
    For that size of lawn you can do a robotic mower reasonably cheaply; look at the entry-level models. What I would add is to re-seed the obvious area and put feed and weed granules on the remainder to kill the weeds and make it greener.

My experience with robotic mowers and pictures can be seen at posts: 4, 32, 42 in this thread but I've just sold that property and the mowers to the new owners.

Nice easy install for a robot mower that. Mower will be able to run onto the paving front, back (i think) and RH side, so put the boundary wire in right up close to it. You'll only have to strim along that LH side and round the washing line.
    You'd just need to figure out where to put the charger station and how to get power to it

Craftsman
    Is it fair to say that this is a cheap/old/rubbish entry level robot or is it a good one and worth getting?

I only have a small 200 m2 grass patch to deal with.

https://www.diy.com/departments/flym...1747729_BQ.prd
    Last edited by Eddiex; 10th May 2021 at 16:07.

I tried to buy that but it's only available in the Farnborough store I think.

Craftsman
    I tried to buy that but it's only available in the Farnborough store I think.
    Mmmm - now not showing as available. Oh well!

Quick - question.

My grass is on two levels - split 1/3 and 2/3rds.

Am I correct in thinking that I could set up 2 sets of perimeter wires and let the mower do the bottom section for the allotted time and then (maybe after a couple of days) just pick it up and continue with the top section for a day and then put it back on the bottom for a recharge?

or, am a doomed for ever to cut the grass manually!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    Mmmm - now not showing as available. Oh well!

Quick - question.

My grass is on two levels - split 1/3 and 2/3rds.

Am I correct in thinking that I could set up 2 sets of perimeter wires and let the mower do the bottom section for the allotted time and then (maybe after a couple of days) just pick it up and continue with the top section for a day and then put it back on the bottom for a recharge?

or, am a doomed for ever to cut the grass manually!
    That's exactly what i do. You do it with 1 perimeter wire loop, with the wires running side by side at the mid section (next to a set of 3 steps in my case), just ensure you don't get the wires crossed over and go the wrong way round the top section. I drop mine up the top, tell it to 'mow secondary area' and off he goes. Couple of hours later drop it back down the bottom and tell it to go park. I only bother doing the top bit every week or even less. So when i put it up top, i set the cutting height to max, let it get it under control, then drop the height down to where i want it
    Last edited by Brighty; 10th May 2021 at 17:01.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    That's exactly what i do. You do it with 1 perimeter wire loop, with the wires running side by side at the mid section (next to a set of 3 steps in my case), just ensure you don't get the wires crossed over and go the wrong way round the top section. I drop mine up the top, tell it to 'mow secondary area' and off he goes. Couple of hours later drop it back down the bottom and tell it to go park. I only bother doing the top bit every week or even less. So when i put it up top, i set the cutting height to max, let it get it under control, then drop the height down to where i want it
    Great! I also have a set of steps in the middle of the 2 lawns so I think I just need to run some power to the lower (bigger) area for the mowers garage/charging station.

Is it bad for the batteries in these mowers to run completely flat?

Nearly all devices with modern lithium batteries have management systems to prevent over discharge.

Some advice pls.

My MuCulloch has started playing up. Has worked perfectly -this would have been its 3rd season but around a month ago it started playing up . It will travel at normal speed then randomly slow completely down -almost like it has got stuck on something , then it will go over it or it will turn around and try going somewhere else. I thought maybe my lawn had had too thick , so I had the gardener come and mow it using a normal mower right down. But even still it doing the same thing. the mower slows right down like it can't go over the ground although there is nothing there.

I've cleaned it. blades changed but still the same issue.

Blog Entries
    Hello Robot peeps

I’m soon going to be in the market for one of these (as soon as I rotovate my garden a lay a new lawn)

Will be approx 200m2

What’s a good deal? When are bargains likely to be had?

Don’t try and upsell me as I’m hoping to get this done for ~£350

Craftsman
    I was going to buy one last summer but my lawn is around 2400 square meters and not very flat in places. Husqvana came to my house with a test mower that was in the £3500 region but it wouldn’t manage some of the slopes so they said it would need a 4x4 version at almost £5000 😮
    I found a local gardener who does it once a week for £25 a pop. So 30 weeks a year, £750. It would take 7 years before the robot would start to pay for its self. And the gardener provides the lawn mower I don’t even need to charge it, put fuel in it or worry about breakdowns or blades. As an added bonus if I am busy he will do an extra hour of two and trim some hedges for a few quid, a robot mower couldn’t do that. Was an easy choice for me.

Just gone for one of these. The reviews look good and according to CamelCamelCamel it’s a good price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08W8D4J...VKREZ89GXG1XFG

Played with this bad boy today

Last edited by Brighty; 25th March 2022 at 16:13.

Played with this bad boy today

What’s the verdict? They’re pretty expensive if I recall but no need for wires as you gps plot their confines.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    What’s the verdict? They’re pretty expensive if I recall but no need for wires as you gps plot their confines.
    No boundary wires, correct, it uses the same system as the 550 Epos released last year, a reference station beacon mounted on a pole to improve GPS accuracy. You remote control the mower round the boundary with the phone app, which is fun. This one mows in straight lines rather than random, so covers more area quicker. Not sure exactly where the price ended up, but think it will will be getting on for £25-30k for the full system (Rear drive unit, front cutting deck, charger station + reference station)

@Wolfie Any good mate?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TAG0001 View Post
    @Wolfie Any good mate?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
    LOLS Richard…! Tempting mate 👍🏼

What’s the supporting App like?

No boundary wires, correct, it uses the same system as the 550 Epos released last year, a reference station beacon mounted on a pole to improve GPS accuracy. You remote control the mower round the boundary with the phone app, which is fun. This one mows in straight lines rather than random, so covers more area quicker. Not sure exactly where the price ended up, but think it will will be getting on for £25-30k for the full system (Rear drive unit, front cutting deck, charger station + reference station)
    25 - 30k for a lawn mower. WTAF!!!

Sent from my M2101K7BNY using Tapatalk

They're not a good idea if you have dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    They're not a good idea if you have dogs.
    I've got 2 dogs. They're fine, so long as you dont have it set on a timer schedule. I do a quick scout for dog eggs, toys etc, which I'd have to do with a manual mower anyway, then send mine out via the app and leave it to it

Blog Entries
    I've got 2 dogs. They're fine, so long as you dont have it set on a timer schedule. I do a quick scout for dog eggs, toys etc, which I'd have to do with a manual mower anyway, then send mine out via the app and leave it to it
    I heard with smaller dog droppings it’s just ‘deals with them’ and they act as a fertilizer?

So far pretty happy. One for us and one for the in-laws. Shame we couldn’t get one for my mum as she only has grass at the front and it would get stolen.

Bluetooth only so very much an entry level model but on a timer it seems happy enough. Very quiet though - can’t see to hear the blades spinning at all.

Craftsman
    Despite my reservations I have a Husqvarna 435x coming in 2 weeks. My garden is 2400m and my neighbours is around 1800m. We are going halves on one and sharing it. The gardens are separated by a three bar farm style fence and the mower fits under it seamlessly. Total cost installed is £5200 so at £2600 each not such a hard pill to swallow.

Has anyone taken out specific insurance on theirs? I am told it’s not expensive but I can’t find an insurer that covers them and house insurance doesn’t, I called dozens of house insurance companies buy the small print always says it isn’t covered because it’s not locked up at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrbarry View Post
    Despite my reservations I have a Husqvarna 435x coming in 2 weeks. My garden is 2400m and my neighbours is around 1800m. We are going halves on one and sharing it. The gardens are separated by a three bar farm style fence and the mower fits under it seamlessly. Total cost installed is £5200 so at £2600 each not such a hard pill to swallow.

Has anyone taken out specific insurance on theirs? I am told it’s not expensive but I can’t find an insurer that covers them and house insurance doesn’t, I called dozens of house insurance companies buy the small print always says it isn’t covered because it’s not locked up at night.
    I assume you have some big slopes to have opted for the 435x over the cheaper 450x? You're pushing the capacity well over the 435's theoretical max of 3500 sqm, whereas the 450x can manage 5000

Craftsman
    Yes my top lawn is 2 meters higher then the lower lawn and the ramp between them is steep. We also have moles that leave deep ruts down by the river where a 450 would get stuck. I have a rep coming to measure up again later today, last time he visited he said the 450 wouldn’t manage the slopes or ruts, mainly the ruts.
    Our total 4400m is over spec but in reality they want to stay 1.2 meters from the river reducing it by about 200m2, I have a couple of flower beds and so does my neighbour they are probably 200m2. Take into account the islands around his hammock, a few trees. I’d say total area to mow is 3800. Guessing. So yes pushing it but the rep says it will cope easily. I’m having a 12x4m gazebo at the top of the slope in the summer too, that will reduces my area a bit more.

Craftsman
    Bumping this. Anyone bought one recently and can recommend?

Sent from my SM-T510 using TZ-UK mobile app

I wouldn't recommend my Flymo EasiLifeGo 250.

BTEC lawnmower.

Master
    I wouldn't recommend my Flymo EasiLifeGo 250.

BTEC lawnmower.
    Why’s that Wileeeeeey ?

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Why’s that Wileeeeeey ?
    Constantly says the charging station is blocked, the boundary wire can't be detected, or the mover is tilted and needs intervention when it's the most minor incline to get back into its docking station.

When it works it's fine but we should have spent a bit more and got something not to basic/cheap. My wife got it on prime day for £425 (alledegly down from £600) and it connects via Bluetooth. I installed WiFi in the garden in anticipation of getting a proper mower but she surprised me with this.

Craftsman
    Has anyone relocated their charging station and had to change the guide wire (not perimeter)
    The mower has created a bald patch in front of the base where it turns around, so I'm moving it somewhere where that wouldn't matter, but it means the guide wire will need to be cut and a new section spliced in to take it to the new station location.
    It will leave a couple of meters of old guide wire going nowhere and still connected to the perimeter wire at one end, which I am assuming won't be an issue but wondered if anyone else had done the same.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by barreti View Post
    Has anyone relocated their charging station and had to change the guide wire (not perimeter)
    The mower has created a bald patch in front of the base where it turns around, so I'm moving it somewhere where that wouldn't matter, but it means the guide wire will need to be cut and a new section spliced in to take it to the new station location.
    It will leave a couple of meters of old guide wire going nowhere and still connected to the perimeter wire at one end, which I am assuming won't be an issue but wondered if anyone else had done the same.
    I can’t comment specific to your requirement but we did have to repair our guide wire due to rabbit damage. The guy simply spliced it with some repair blocks (you can get them on eBay). HTH.

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post

Agreed, and here’s me with my Cobra Petrol mower thinking it was pricey…

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post

I don't believe the price has yet been announced but this isn't a domestic mower, unless you happen to own Chatsworth House! It will cover 40,000 sqm which is huge (a 200m x 200m lawn area).

Master
    I moved last year and I’ve been watching this thread with interest as I seriously considered getting one of these - I think they’re great bits of kit. However on discussion with a mate of mine who runs a small gardening business he suggested getting a decent petrol mower and seeing how I went. I’m so glad I did - I genuinely love getting out there and this Hayter makes light work of a largish bit of lawn. Seems odd but I find it cathartic and very satisfying when all done with a decent bit of exercise thrown in.

I realise this is the robot mower thread, and I completely respect and appreciate the tech, but sometimes the “old” methods can offer something unexpected.

Blog Entries
    ^^^^^

What a lovely space

I’ve always fancied a robot mower, but now I have 3 dogs…. The latest one does bigger poops as she’s medium sized

I guess that puts me out of the running for using this tech as I do a bi-weekly pick up and these things go out daily mid summer, so it could all get rather ‘icky’