TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Robot lawnmower

Hybrid View

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    But, a mast?!!

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    But, a mast?!!
    I'm assuming it's a differential GPS tranmitter. If that's the case you wouldn't necessarily need a mast/pole; it could be mounted on a garage wall etc. Husqvarna call it EPOS but there's no technical info on the website.
    Last edited by Skier; 22nd October 2019 at 18:13.

Does anyone have a Worx Landroid M500 and advise how good they are?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Does anyone have a Worx Landroid M500 and advise how good they are?
    I have the larger L1500 version.

It's been mostly brilliant. I added the 'Find my Landroid' 4G module and also the 'Off-limits' and ACS (Anti-collision system) to it as well. I laid the boundary wire myself.

Fors:

Very quiet
    Covers the whole lawn after a few days - I've left in 'auto' schedule mode and it does a really good job supposed using 'AI',
    Does get close to the borders and can handle steep slopes... in a straight line.
    Copes with 'Islands' very well
    Worx support has been excellent with questions
    Battery lasts well and recharges quickly.
    Got a good 'Deal of the Day' on Amazon when I purchased so significantly cheaper than the Husq 430X I was previously considering

Against:
    I have a steep slope in a couple of parts of the garden and when climbing the slope and turning at the same time it does lose traction and rear wheels dig into the ground, and once they've dug in it repeats the problem every few days as it's created a rut.
    Because it does 'Cut to the edge' you have to be very careful with the boundary wire spacing to the edge and follow the spacing instructions explicitly.
    The add-on's probably should have been standard, but then the base price would have been higher and at least it's your choice.
    The Off-limits add on is hit+miss if it works and I wouldn't bother with it again.

For the price, it's been excellent and hard to fault and having a robot mower has returned a lot of time to me that would have been spent mowing. I suspect the Husq would have been better still - but it was a lot more money for something I was unsure if would really work for me and the Landroid was less than half the price but I suspect 80-90% of the ability. If you have a straightforward, flat(ish) garden then I doubt the Husq would have any additional benefit.

Two tips - 1) make sure you have some waterproof cable joiners (3M ones work great) and 2) put some 'loops' in the boundary cable at strategic points around your garden. Both of these will mean when you (probably inevitably) break the boundary wire you have quick easy way to repair or indeed modify the boundary layout.

Hope that helps,
    B

Quote Originally Posted by Benc999 View Post

Got a good 'Deal of the Day' on Amazon when I purchased so significantly cheaper than the Husq 430X I was previously considering

B
    Your landroid covers 1500m2, so a little unfair comparing it on price to the 430X that covers over double that at 3200m2. A fairer comparison would be the 315, which once you add the extras to the landroid, probably come out about the same price

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Your landroid covers 1500m2, so a little unfair comparing it on price to the 430X that covers over double that at 3200m2. A fairer comparison would be the 315, which once you add the extras to the landroid, probably come out about the same price
    Yeah, fair point on the coverage ability, I think you'd need to compare with the 315X if you added the 'Find My Landroid GPS' option to your Landroid to make it closer equivilent.

I reckon if you shop around you should be able to get the Landroid+bits cheaper than the 315 and definitely the 315X... certainly the deal I got, granted Amazon deal of the day, and buying the add-on's from a couple of other, better priced websites meant I got it all combined for over £200 less than the best price that i've seen for the 315. So not the 430X difference saving level granted, but still cheaper and with much the same functionality.... but no headlights! :(

I guess for the M500 the comparison would be more the Husq 105?

Quote Originally Posted by Benc999 View Post

It's been mostly brilliant. I added the 'Find my Landroid' 4G module and also the 'Off-limits' and ACS (Anti-collision system) to it as well. I laid the boundary wire myself.

Fors:

Very quiet
    Covers the whole lawn after a few days - I've left in 'auto' schedule mode and it does a really good job supposed using 'AI',
    Does get close to the borders and can handle steep slopes... in a straight line.
    Copes with 'Islands' very well
    Worx support has been excellent with questions
    Battery lasts well and recharges quickly.

Against:
    I have a steep slope in a couple of parts of the garden and when climbing the slope and turning at the same time it does lose traction and rear wheels dig into the ground, and once they've dug in it repeats the problem every few days as it's created a rut.
    Because it does 'Cut to the edge' you have to be very careful with the boundary wire spacing to the edge and follow the spacing instructions explicitly.
    The add-on's probably should have been standard, but then the base price would have been higher and at least it's your choice.
    The Off-limits add on is hit+miss if it works and I wouldn't bother with it again.

For the price, it's been excellent and hard to fault and having a robot mower has returned a lot of time to me that would have been spent mowing. I suspect the Husq would have been better still - but it was a lot more money for something I was unsure if would really work for me and the Landroid was less than half the price but I suspect 80-90% of the ability. If you have a straightforward, flat(ish) garden then I doubt the Husq would have any additional benefit.

Two tips - 1) make sure you have some waterproof cable joiners (3M ones work great) and 2) put some 'loops' in the boundary cable at strategic points around your garden. Both of these will mean when you (probably inevitably) break the boundary wire you have quick easy way to repair or indeed modify the boundary layout.

Hope that helps,
    B
    yes cheers for that 👍

Craftsman
    Our local Rugby club has a massive yolk on the main pitch. Does a fine job. Must be a metre long.

Quote Originally Posted by kildareman View Post
    Our local Rugby club has a massive yolk on the main pitch. Does a fine job. Must be a metre long.
    Any idea what make it is? Is it one of these ugly brutes?
    https://www.belrobotics.com/en-gb/mo...onnected-line/
    Currently interested in big robot mowers

Quote Originally Posted by kildareman View Post
    Yolk? Errant spell-checker but can’t guess for what!