closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Robot lawnmower

So annoying. I asked my wife to order one of those Flymo robots with her Amazon Prime account. She didn’t. Now they are full price again.

I’m sure it won’t annoy me every minute I’m mowing the lawn at the weekend. Erm.

Blog Entries
    That's annoying, maybe it's the wife's turn to get the mower out at the weekend now?

Do any of these mowers have GPS enabled boundary restriction ability? Seems you can restrict where a robot hoover goes without boundary wires/tape so seems strange not to have this functionality on a mower, or maybe there is?

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    That's annoying, maybe it's the wife's turn to get the mower out at the weekend now?

Do any of these mowers have GPS enabled boundary restriction ability? Seems you can restrict where a robot hoover goes without boundary wires/tape so seems strange not to have this functionality on a mower, or maybe there is?
    GPS not accurate enough
    https://myrobotmower.com/is-there-a-...erimeter-wire/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post

they are generations behind the vacuums for some reason in terms of tech.

my neato has laser mapping and virtual no go lines

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Why not compost it or don't bother collecting it (a robot mower doesn't)?
    The Mrs doesn’t want a compost keep and moans like **** about grass cuttings in the house.

Am hoping this thing clips very fine once into its stride so the latter won’t be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    The Mrs doesn’t want a compost keep and moans like **** about grass cuttings in the house.

Am hoping this thing clips very fine once into its stride so the latter won’t be an issue.
    My Mrs used to moan about the same thing every time i mowed the lawn. Robot mower does cut it very fine, you won't get bits in the house.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    My Mrs used to moan about the same thing every time i mowed the lawn. Robot mower does cut it very fine, you won't get bits in the house.
    There is a god.

If anyone has ordered two by mistake you know where I am!

Master
    Installing the Flymo 1200r on Sunday. Any advice on boundary wires? I have on area that adjoins a patio (same level) and other sections are into privet.

Installing the Flymo 1200r on Sunday. Any advice on boundary wires? I have on area that adjoins a patio (same level) and other sections are into privet.
    If the patio is level with the grass and the mower can drive onto it, you can put the wire close to the patio so the mower will go onto it and cut right up to the edge. For the edges near the privet, if there is a drop off into a border, use the recommended distance in the instructions, if the mower could travel slightly under the privet, you can go a bit closer to get better coverage. You can always move the wire if you think it could go closer once you get an idea of how near the edge its cutting and if it could get in closer to the privet.
    In each corner, leave a little loop of spare wire, it will enable you to pull a bit of slack through if you ever get a break that needs joining

Master
    Thanks for the tips!

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    In each corner, leave a little loop of spare wire, it will enable you to pull a bit of slack through if you ever get a break that needs joining
    This is the best advice you can get!

Also, if your lawn is very mossy, watch out over time as the robot cuts it down in height. I started at height = 5 on my mossfest... then after each week.. 4, 3, 2. The robot coped SO well, but as the moss height reduces, your guide wires start to sit up proud with slack in them. I must have had half a dozen breaks over a month, particularly on the return to home guide wire.

One year in... it's all good now though. Not a wire in sight.

Master
    I read that these robo mowers are causing problems for hedgehogs, as in running over them as all the hedgehog does is curl up in a ball. This causes immense damage to these endangered creatures, I hope the manufacturers sort this out pronto.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    I read that these robo mowers are causing problems for hedgehogs, as in running over them as all the hedgehog does is curl up in a ball. This causes immense damage to these endangered creatures, I hope the manufacturers sort this out pronto.
    I've read this too. I have two Husqvarna robotic mowers and live in a very rural area with regular sightings of hedgehogs. I also have a couple of hedgehog houses around the garden. A reasonably local rescue centre uses my property to release hedgehogs several times a year and not once have I ever seen evidence of a hedgehog, or any other animal for that matter, being killed or injured by the mowers. I tend not to use the mowers through the night but one does operate until 11pm in the Summer months. One of the design features that Husqvarna implements to minimise the risk is to use pivoting blades that flick into the disc when they hit anything much harder than the grass.
    Last edited by Skier; 20th July 2019 at 16:21.

Can only be baby ones getting chopped, can't see how a grown one could get run over, there's only a 50mm clearance under the front bumper so it should just push them out the way. If it did ride up and over one, it would detect a front lift and cut the motor. Just read a report that said numbers are very low and far more are killed by cars.

Master
    Did the install on the Flymo 1200r today. After finding the measuring tape and working out all the portions of the garden it turns out we’ve got 260sqm and programmed accordingly.

Luckily it pissed it down on Friday so the ground was nice and soft to bury the boundary and control wires. Used an edging tool as it was easier than a spade.

‘Percy (Mower)’ as he is now named did a few test runs and is now going up shaving the grass.

Probably wouldn’t have bothered with this but for the positive comments from folk on here, so thank you everyone, you’ve saved a me a weekly chore!

Did the install on the Flymo 1200r today. After finding the measuring tape and working out all the portions of the garden it turns out we’ve got 260sqm and programmed accordingly.

Luckily it pissed it down on Friday so the ground was nice and soft to bury the boundary and control wires. Used an edging tool as it was easier than a spade.

‘Percy (Mower)’ as he is now named did a few test runs and is now going up shaving the grass.

Probably wouldn’t have bothered with this but for the positive comments from folk on here, so thank you everyone, you’ve saved a me a weekly chore!
    Nice, enjoy
    I see you've given him a name already, Percy Mower, excellent. Mine is Mowin' Ali, anyone else given there's a name?

Nice, enjoy
    I see you've given him a name already, Percy Mower, excellent. Mine is Mowin' Ali, anyone else given there's a name?
    Yep, my first was named Patrick (Mower), the second, to keep the genders equal, is called Lorna.

Mobot-not that original but apt.

Master
    Nice, enjoy
    I grew up watching Blue Peter, and Percy Thrower = gardening.

Mowin’ Ali is hilariously brilliant!

"Robo Chop" is what ours gets called!

Blog Entries
    Seems that they’ve become part of the family?

I’ve seen one in Aldi in France reduced 250 Euros…. Would.be tempted if I didn't have the house on the market!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Seems that they’ve become part of the family?

I’ve seen one in Aldi in France reduced 250 Euros…. Would.be tempted if I didn't have the house on the market!
    I might be renting our gaff. An installed lawnmower solution is a real USP!

Chomper after the robot in Star Wars rebels

Craftsman
    I actually enjoyed cutting grass while walking behind a powerful 4 stroke lawn mover with driven back wheels.
    But what sold me on the robots is the quality of the lawn, so lush and nice to walk on bare feet.

Master

Robot lawnmower

I asked my Dad to make a house for my Flymo 1200r.

Couldn’t stop laughing when this turned up!