closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko skx009 value

Master

Seiko skx009 value

I bought a Seiko skx009 from USA a few months ago and my son brought it over to UK last week.I can't now find any details of sales post or seller.It looks good,in as new condition,bezel turns ok ,crown screws down well.It keeps time to 10s/ day but power reserve only 15 hrs ( tested twice ) .Im thinking of moving it on but struggling to know how to value it .Is it worth anything?

The SKX are very inefficient when it comes to auto winding
    If you have a sedentary job you might not fully wind the watch when worn (I have had this issue when sat in my office all day)
    Are you sure the power reserve is reduced? It should be around 42 hours when fully wound.
    With regard to value, yes it has a value but if there is an issue I would say the value is market rate minus the cost of a service - so not much.

Master
    Very useful.Having had mostly vintage Seiko divers recently I ' Forgot ' to wind and relied on motion.Ive given it a good wind and will retest.Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.f View Post
    Very useful.Having had mostly vintage Seiko divers recently I ' Forgot ' to wind and relied on motion.Ive given it a good wind and will retest.Thanks.
    They are auto only. No manual wind. So your 'winding' will have been in vain. They need a lot of movement to get, and keep, them fully powered up - I never succeeded (with my lifestyle) and was ultimately disappointed with the power reserve performance of the watch.

Master
    Ok,understand that.Will try again ,really need to figure out if a problem or just not very efficient

Ok,understand that.Will try again ,really need to figure out if a problem or just not very efficient
    If you wear it daily then it should never be an issue. Sometimes I'd skip a day and find the watch had stopped the following night. As I spend quite a bit of time sitting at a computer then I doubt I ever got it really powered up. I gave up with it in the end!

Search for the so-called “brandy balon” winding technique. Problem solved.

I have both a 007 and 009 and keeping them going can be a major pain.

Before I wear either I hold the watch in my palm and then perform around 50 circular movements, around 6-8” in diameter. This seems to gives it enough of a reserve so that when worn for the day it will still ticking the next morning.

I did read the on some the rotors weren’t aligned properly so I did open one up and refitted the rotor according to the article but this seemed to make little difference.

Master
    Rose to the challenge and did a 5 mile walk with the Seiko ,in addition to fair bit of 'twirling ' and then left off wrist and timed . It finally stopped 10mins short of 45 hrs,so a very credible result .It clearly needs well exercised to perform at its best but this has been helped in that could have assumed a problem where none existed.

Master
    Rose to the challenge and did a 5 mile walk with the Seiko ,in addition to fair bit of 'twirling ' and then left off wrist and timed . It finally stopped 10mins short of 45 hrs,so a very credible result .It clearly needs well exercised to perform at its best but this has been helped in that could have assumed a problem where none existed.
    Guess they weren’t meant to be part of our 5/10/30 watch rotation.

I’ve never really been one to worry about a lot of Seiko’s not having hand winding, if you think about it you don’t want to be unscrewing the crown to wind anyway. Once they’ve been worn a day they’ll sit unused for 40 hours so once they’re up & running as a daily wearer there would be no time you’d really have to fret about it not being hand winding. Take it off at night and it’s fine next morning and would give Year’s of service never stopping. I bet there’s no daily wearer subs that the owners use the hand winding on. It’s just something we think we need when we’re swapping watches all the time.