closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two Omegas, one Patek. What would you have done?

Two Omegas, one Patek. What would you have done?

I'm 50 this year. I'm in the lucky position of being able to extend my watch collection (which currently comprises of some stainless steel Rolex watches and a vintage birth year Omega Speedmaster plus one or two pieces) with a new watch. My end game in this watch collecting malarky is to try and purchase a complicated Patek - perhaps an annual or perpetual calendar, to wear and enjoy and pass on (as we all know, you never actually own a Patek ...).

For the past few years I've been badgering my Omega AD about the 50th anniversary Apollo 11 watches. This week, I received a call from him to say that I've been allocated the full gold and the stainless steel models. To say I was excited is an understatement. I love the look of both watches and the stories behind them are inspiring. However, it is clearly a big purchase and will probably require a sale or two to fund.

Things were complicated a bit yesterday, by another email that came from the Patek dealer in Chester to say that they have received a 5205R (one of the watches I had expressed an interest in), and would I be interested to see it with a view to purchasing. As with the two Omegas, this is a massive purchase for me and probably a once in a lifetime event (given that I don't buy lottery tickets).

I appreciate that this is very much a first-world problem. Pursue the two Omega watches with their history and heritage, or go for what for me would be a dream watch? I'm pretty much 95% sure which direction I'm going to heading in over the next weeks but I wondered what you would do?

Craftsman
    For me, it would be a Patek. I think it would feel much more special which because of the occasion, a more fitting purchase.

5205R but it would have to be the black dial.
    Nothing wrong with the omegas but not in the same league imho.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Billyloves2boogie View Post
    5205R but it would have to be the black dial.
    Nothing wrong with the omegas but not in the same league imho.

Well, it is the black dial.

Blog Entries
    No contest. I think you know the answer.

Martyn.

Master
    From your post, you would regret not taking the Patek.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    I really rate the solid gold Speedmaster, having tried one at an event last week but I can't see the sense it getting both gold and steel personally. I am not a massive Patek fan purely on design terms so perhaps it would be a tougher choice for me than some others but there it is.

Omega's are nice but the Patek is the one. I think you'd regret it if you passed on it.

Omega are great watches but the Patek.. another league and as you said a once in a lifetime chance..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Patek for me but it sounds like the omegas are your dream watches!

The Patek is a watch to take to your grave. There's really no contest here (especially given that it's the black dial!).

It could be 10 Omegas Vs the 5205R and the answer would still be the same.

Craftsman
    It's quite a stark choice - professional sports model versus dress watch. I personally prefer blue dial white gold Patek. However why not just buy an annual calendar Nautilus which is obviously more a sports aesthetic with the complication you want?

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by qaz4169 View Post
    It's quite a stark choice - professional sports model versus dress watch. I personally prefer blue dial white gold Patek. However why not just buy an annual calendar Nautilus which is obviously more a sports aesthetic with the complication you want?

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Not a great fan of the Nautilus (I had a 5711 for a while). I love the dressier Patek watches. Nice idea though!

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    The Patek is a watch to take to your grave. There's really no contest here (especially given that it's the black dial!).
    Thanks Tony. I appreciate all the insights here guys. I'm off to look at the Patek this week. Not sure about the timeline re. the Omegas but I take the point that both Omegas are probably not necessary or desirable. Perhaps I could find a way to get one (the stainless steel model perhaps) and the 5205R. Cunning plan required.

Master
    You answered it yourself.. go after your dreams.

The Omegas won't arrive until later in the year right? Can delay your decision if subsequently the Patek is not for you after all.

Craftsman
    Patek all day long. As you say, perhaps look at the stainless steel Omega as well to scratch that itch, if you really have to!

I’d buy Patek and regular Speedmaster later.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RajLondon View Post
    Patek all day long. As you say, perhaps look at the stainless steel Omega as well to scratch that itch, if you really have to!
    If I am reading the OP right, he already has a 1969 Pre-Moon so has that itch pretty well covered but I think I understand the appeal of the symmetry of getting the 50th Anni model too. I am a massive Omega fan but even I see the sense it going for the Patek, since adding another Speedmaster (gold or steel) is just more of the same really.

Master
    Have you tried a 5205 on ?

Master
    Not a Patek fan, I appreciate that they make fabulous watches but not to my taste, so it would be Omega for me.

Master
    It's your 50th not 70th so go for the Omega.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    If I am reading the OP right, he already has a 1969 Pre-Moon so has that itch pretty well covered but I think I understand the appeal of the symmetry of getting the 50th Anni model too. I am a massive Omega fan but even I see the sense it going for the Patek, since adding another Speedmaster (gold or steel) is just more of the same really.
    Ah, yes. An anniversary watch would go well with a birth year.

Craftsman
    Patek 100%.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Master
    If my dear old man ( RIP Dad ) had attempted to be buried with a Patek . I’d have been wenching off his arm there’s dying wishes and errr. Funeral expenses!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    If my dear old man ( RIP Dad ) had attempted to be buried with a Patek . I’d have been wenching off his arm there’s dying wishes and errr. Funeral expenses!
    Errrr, perhaps not literally!

Master
    Sadly I missed out on the Ed Whites - pre boom and also the original Gold Speedmaster appear to have shot up from around 21k to 48k though I’m not sure if people are actually buying at that level.
    To me the Speedmaster in essence is a monochrome , very legible tool watch . With a wise decision made to leave it essentially alone. If I’d had a big lump sum I reckon I’d go for the Patek Complications and with the Speedie maybe trade around till I’d reached my limit. In my case that’ll probably be a 321 or Ed White. The OP might be able to trade to a metal hander at some point.
    As a totally left field thought and ignoring what I’ve ssid above has the OP considered the Japanese Olympic LE’s? They trade at around 7 to 8k and can be sold on very quickly . Beautiful watches as well.

Patek.
    And I’m not really a Patek fan!
    Complicated watches are lovely things, just never “got” the nautilus/aquanaut thing

Master
    Your message suggests Patek? And I would agree.

You already own the very Omega Speedmaster that the 50th anniversary model is commemorating. The 50th is a nice watch, but surely it could only struggle alongside the one you own? The Patek on the other hand is a totally different animal, and a superb way to mark 50!

Quote Originally Posted by Jlynch1984 View Post
    For me, it would be a Patek. I think it would feel much more special which because of the occasion, a more fitting purchase.
    Agreed.

Master
    Love the 5205 in rose gold with black dial. That would be my choice every time

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Personally I think the Patek is hideous and therefore would go Omega,however that's only my opinion and clearly not the case for you! As far as your concerned I would concentrate on the Patek.

Has to be the PP; can’t imagine looking at one of those on the wrist and wishing that I was looking at a speedy in its stead.

If it's a special occasion it's got to be the Patek; individual taste aside a Speedmaster is a Speedmaster is a Speedmaster - they are variations on what is essentially the same watch and though I own one IMHO they aren't in the same league as a Patek; no matter what the Omega is made of or what dial variation it is (excluding the vintage rarities obvs).

This! That Patek is a game changer, an exit watch, if you don’t buy it now you’ll regret it and be chasing it again in the future...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Omega (the full gold one) is far nicer in my opinion. Not bothered about the stainless one if this is to be a celebration watch.
    Last edited by Skyman; 15th June 2019 at 11:52.

Blog Entries

Lightbulb

Second reply from me. I am lucky enough to own a Patek 5146J annual calendar (you can read the backstory on the ‘review’ section). I’ve had it since 2007, soon after my mother died and bought using the last cheque from the inheritance in her remembrance.

I guess what I am trying to say is a Patek is a special watch. Try it and see how it feels to you. Speedmaster are good, but . . .

Martyn.

Which purchase would you most regret NOT making? And there's your answer.

It has to be the Patek in my opinion. They are special watches and you will not regret owning one.

Master
    Patel for me.

Patek all day long.

Master
    I would go for the full gold Speedy.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gc52 View Post
    I would go for the full gold Speedy.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Indeed, my four PPs are forgotten. Looking forward to the full gold Speedy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Indeed, my four PPs are forgotten. Looking forward to the full gold Speedy.
    Not sure which people will find more unpleasant your conspicuous PP-based boasting or your sarcasm ?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gc52 View Post
    Not sure which people will find more unpleasant your conspicuous PP-based boasting or your sarcasm ?
    Me neither, but likewise not sure I care either way. Have a good weekend.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Me neither, but likewise not sure I care either way. Have a good weekend.
    The only point I was making below BTW is that I really like the Omega 310.60.42.50.99.001 compared with the PP 5205R. Plus given that the OP is approaching 50, in his shoes, I would get this as a "special occasion" watch.

Anyway, ditto, wishing you a great-rest-of-the-weekend too.

I've thought long and hard about this today. Thanks for all the advice. I've spoken to the Omega AD and to the Patek AD. I'm going for the full gold speedmaster. This has been my original plan for a long time (years) and the Omega AD has worked very hard to secure this piece for me. It will go with my 1969 speedmaster, making a lovely pair, and will also be a fitting way to mark my 50th birthday. I am going to wait and see about the stainless steel 50th anniversary model but I'm erring on the side of not purchasing this (I take the point made by someone above that it is probably not needed from a collector's point of view given that this anniversary is covered by the other watch).

I know that this might not bother some folk, but I'd like to honour my commitment to buy this piece from the Omega AD too. He has been brilliant at helping me secure a range of hard to get Rolex watches over the past few years and I don't think we'll be seeing many of the gold Speedmasters here in the UK either. He has shared with me in confidence some of the background to the acquisition of this watch from Omega and it was not at all straightforward. I am confident that in the medium to long term this watch will prove to be a good investment too.

Whilst I love the Patek 5205R, I think there will be a time to make significant changes to my small collection and get a complicated Patek. Just not now.

Thanks for all the advice. It has been greatly appreciated. I know many of you would have gone a different way with this nice problem and thanks to you all for sharing your reasoning here.

I'm sure you will love it and I look forward to the pics. I was originally against the omega but have since been looking at reviews and articles and it's a very nice watch. Once you get the names Omega and Patek out of your head the Speedmaster is the nicer watch and actually more interesting than the Patek.

As you say you can get the Patek another time whereas the Speedmaster is time sensitive.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I'm sure you will love it and I look forward to the pics. I was originally against the omega but have since been looking at reviews and articles and it's a very nice watch. Once you get the names Omega and Patek out of your head the Speedmaster is the nicer watch and actually more interesting than the Patek.

As you say you can get the Patek another time whereas the Speedmaster is time sensitive.
    Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think you’ve made a good decision and the two way he’s make a great pairing. 50th anniversary watch for 50 years!
    The Patek is a great watch for sure but purchasable anytime in the future and no resonance with your personal watch journey