closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Two Omegas, one Patek. What would you have done?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    I've thought long and hard about this today. Thanks for all the advice. I've spoken to the Omega AD and to the Patek AD. I'm going for the full gold speedmaster. This has been my original plan for a long time (years) and the Omega AD has worked very hard to secure this piece for me. It will go with my 1969 speedmaster, making a lovely pair, and will also be a fitting way to mark my 50th birthday. I am going to wait and see about the stainless steel 50th anniversary model but I'm erring on the side of not purchasing this (I take the point made by someone above that it is probably not needed from a collector's point of view given that this anniversary is covered by the other watch).

I know that this might not bother some folk, but I'd like to honour my commitment to buy this piece from the Omega AD too. He has been brilliant at helping me secure a range of hard to get Rolex watches over the past few years and I don't think we'll be seeing many of the gold Speedmasters here in the UK either. He has shared with me in confidence some of the background to the acquisition of this watch from Omega and it was not at all straightforward. I am confident that in the medium to long term this watch will prove to be a good investment too.

Whilst I love the Patek 5205R, I think there will be a time to make significant changes to my small collection and get a complicated Patek. Just not now.

Thanks for all the advice. It has been greatly appreciated. I know many of you would have gone a different way with this nice problem and thanks to you all for sharing your reasoning here.
    I would have chosen the PP, but you still have time this is not such a hard watch to get.

Master
    What a lovely present for yourself ! Enjoy it.
    I’m wondering if and when the boutiques will display it?

Master
    Good decision OP
    Honouring commitments and a nicer watch by far.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Excellent choice.

Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    I think you’ve made a good decision and the two way he’s make a great pairing. 50th anniversary watch for 50 years!
    The Patek is a great watch for sure but purchasable anytime in the future and no resonance with your personal watch journey
    I think this is key for me. Looking at watches and putting them in the context of life's events certainly adds meaning. I'm sure many of us have bought things for wedding days, birthdays, arrival of children, etc. The 50th anniversary of the moon landing tying up with my birthday has been on my horizon ever since I got my first Omega Speedmaster around 8 years ago thanks to JackW of this parish.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    What a lovely present for yourself ! Enjoy it.
    I’m wondering if and when the boutiques will display it?
    I doubt it, but who knows. The AD I have a relationship is a small company with two shops. He had to work really hard to get one and from what I've read on the Omega forums the gold and stainless steel watches are all allocated. I don't think we'll be seeing many unsold. I might be wrong on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Good decision OP
    Honouring commitments and a nicer watch by far.
    Thank you. I know its a commercial relationship but this AD has been brilliant in helping me over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Excellent choice.
    Thanks, I appreciate this as I know you have had some beautiful watches in your collection over the years.