closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,300 of 1741

Thread: Premier League 19/20

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    It’s to give your youth team/ 2 nd string/ U23 s a good hiding most seasons .
    What’s the point of your first team ?
    I don't know what the point of Utd's first team is ???
    OGS and his predecessors have spent millions yet he keeps banging on about his young players coming through??
    I like seeing young players coming through the ranks in any team though.
    Even Jones scored today, Tranmere must've really been suffering

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RD200 View Post
    I don't know what the point of Utd's first team is ???
    OGS and his predecessors have spent millions yet he keeps banging on about his young players coming through??
    I like seeing young players coming through the ranks in any team though.
    Even Jones scored today, Tranmere must've really been suffering

So , by that very definition, a young player will come through any team, no ?
    Some people get hung up on a footballer being from a five mile radius of their home ground for some daft nostalgic reason.
    It’s a business , nothing more or less.
    Citehs 😎 academy produces footballers year on year and if the club opt to sell them, then so be it. There will be mistakes ala Sancho but there will also be good business practice where money is to be made.

Master
    Just got back from Prenton Park and knew we were in for a drubbing when I saw the team sheet. Given the strong Utd squad the score line wasn’t that disappointing really but the fact that Phil Jones scored was embarrassing. He is even more sh*t in real life than on TV and how he gets near the Utd squad is beyond me. The Utd fans were great but singing about City in an FA Cup tie against Rovers is very sad indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    Just got back from Prenton Park and knew we were in for a drubbing when I saw the team sheet. Given the strong Utd squad the score line wasn’t that disappointing really but the fact that Phil Jones scored was embarrassing. He is even more sh*t in real life than on TV and how he gets near the Utd squad is beyond me. The Utd fans were great but singing about City in an FA Cup tie against Rovers is very sad indeed.

I thought the Murderers chants to the Tranmere fans and death threat chants to Ed Woodward were worse to be honest.

Master
    Whoops !!!
    6 different scorers for Utd and 4 of them British.
    Citeh haven't got 4 British players in their squad.

Does anyone really care what nationalities they have in their team these days? (Did they ever?) How many supporters would place that measure above success on the pitch?

If the Premier League (and domestic football generally) consisted only of British players (and managers), it really would be a very pale shadow of itself.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric356II View Post
    I thought the Murderers chants to the Tranmere fans and death threat chants to Ed Woodward were worse to be honest.
    I missed the murderers chant and couldn’t hear what the Ed Woodward chant was saying, only caught his name. I retract my ‘great’ comment and will replace it with ‘tw*ts’.

Decent effort by the Man U tonight which might take a bit of pressure off OGS, but it's still another bit of Silverware they will miss out on.

As for Liverpool, they made it look more difficult than it should have been. Not the quality of performance one would expect, but still good enough. 19 points points clear with 14 games to go. Is this the year - finally! Southampton and Norwich next - both possible banana skins.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    As for Liverpool, they made it look more difficult than it should have been. Not the quality of performance one would expect, but still good enough. 19 points points clear with 14 games to go. Is this the year - finally! Southampton and Norwich next - both possible banana skins.

Liverpool didn’t get out of first gear last night. We sat back, 9 men behind the ball whenever they were in possession and tried to make it difficult but ultimately any counter-attacking plan requires at least a little pace, which West Ham just don’t have.

We desperately need a win against Brighton at the weekend otherwise I think the Championship beckons.

Master
    Guardiolas set up last night seemed pretty strange.

For me for Pep to be classed as a great manger he really needs to go to a club that is a project or at least not the top team in the league.

Barca, Bayern, City - Most of us would win the league managing these sides.

Is he really a top manager ? Who knows, until he does something really special i couldnt say he is.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post

For me for Pep to be classed as a great manger he really needs to go to a club that is a project or at least not the top team in the league.

Is he really a top manager ? Who knows, until he does something really special i couldnt say he is.
    I think he's proved he can progress players, and players make up teams so I think he deserves some credit.

He's turned Sterling into a top, top player, as one example.

Could he join a mid table team and start a dynasty? Who knows.

I'm not sure anyone could in the current game to be honest

My personal view is that he is, or at least, if Klopp wasn't our manager, I would have confidence that Pep could have done a similar job.

It's true he came to Bayern and City but in both cases he had to manage and motivate his teams to sustain performance. Dortmund provided stiff opposition in Germany and when Pep first arrived at City they weren't at the level he wanted them to be. Last season he managed to get them winning every game in order to pip Liverpool to the post, which they had to do as Liverpool went on an amazing run themsleves. It's not just being in charge of a great team but handling the pressure and expectation that comes with that.

I’d say winning all three domestic titles in one season and winning every game from January till the end of the season to win the title by one point is special. City had a large part of that season without De Bruyne and Aguero had 2-3 spells out too. You look at the way many teams play out from the back now, that’s Guardiola’s influence.
    He’s not without his faults though. Last seasons 1-0 defeat to Spurs in Champions League was a tactical mistake, playing not to lose rather than set up to play to win. I’d also say that Klopp is better at nurturing a team mentality.
    Next season is his last in contract and I, for one, hope he stays as long as his desire still remains. A Klopp/Pep rivalry for a few more years would be brilliant for football.

Master
    No question Pep is a great manager in my view. You can't really penalise him for not ever managing a crap team.

He's raised the bar in three countries.

Edit: Bob Paisley isn't a great if managing a crap team is a requirement BTW!
    Last edited by Bondurant; 30th January 2020 at 15:27.

All this talk about management achievements.

Personally I think Brian Clough is probably one of the the best managers ever.

He took over completely unfashionable 2nd division Derby County and after promotion won the old first division with them.

Then took over at another lowly 2nd division team, Notts Forest, got them promoted and won European cups back to back!

That's without all the league cups.

An incredible manager and force of nature that I doubt any modern managers will ever emulate.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    All this talk about management achievements.

Personally I think Brian Clough is probably one of the the best managers ever.

He took over completely unfashionable 2nd division Derby County and after promotion won the old first division with them.

Then took over at another lowly 2nd division team, Notts Forest, got them promoted and won European cups back to back!

That's without all the league cups.

An incredible manager and force of nature that I doubt any modern managers will ever emulate.
    He's definitely one of the very best

Master
    He's definitely one of the very best
    As he said about himself: "I wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business. But I was in the top one."

PS Not sure that Peter Taylor got all the credit he deserved for his contribution to Brian Clough's success.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    As he said about himself: "I wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business. But I was in the top one."

PS Not sure that Peter Taylor got all the credit he deserved for his contribution to Brian Clough's success.
    What did the 2 of them fall out over ?

Master
    What did the 2 of them fall out over ?
    I can't remember the story. I think I just remember that from the film The Damned United (worth a watch if you haven't seen it).

This gives some of the history:

https://www.football365.com/news/bri...est-of-endings

Master
    I can't remember the story. I think I just remember that from the film The Damned United (worth a watch if you haven't seen it).

This gives some of the history:

https://www.football365.com/news/bri...est-of-endings
    “Pete was the only bloke who could stick an arm around my shoulder and tell me – straightforwardly, mate to mate – that I was wrong, or right, or to shut up and just get on with my job.”

That quote is priceless

Master
    “Pete was the only bloke who could stick an arm around my shoulder and tell me – straightforwardly, mate to mate – that I was wrong, or right, or to shut up and just get on with my job.”

That quote is priceless
    They achieved so much together. Just a pity that BC was a slightly flawed genius. Like I said, if you haven't seen it, have a look at The Damned United.

Master
    An excellent book

Master
    They achieved so much together. Just a pity that BC was a slightly flawed genius. Like I said, if you haven't seen it, have a look at The Damned United.
    Yeah I've seen it and there's a biography on him somewhere in the house.
    I thought he was a much more interesting version of Mourinho when the ego landed.
    I wonder what happened to his green jumper ?

Master
    I wonder what happened to his green jumper ?
    It really should be in the National Football Museum but it isn't.

Master
    It really should be in the National Football Museum but it isn't.
    That would have been a good idea.He ranks up there with Busby, Shankly, Paisley etc etc from the pre-premiere league days.

Best manager never to have managed the national team.
    I always remember the way he would say “young man” to his interviewers.

Craftsman
    It’s comedy hour at Utd.

They would rather sign Ighalo on 100K a week who might not even be able to fly out of China for weeks than try and sign Cavani or Mertens.

Not really a like for like replacement for Rashford.

Master
    Can't think of anyone available who is a like for like replacement for Rashford personally. I don't think anyone is pretending Ighalo is anything more than a short term stop gap.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper85 View Post

Not really a like for like replacement for Rashford.
    Why would it be? Rashford isn’t a striker, this guy (who?) wasn’t signed as a Rashford replacement.

We need a striker. This guy is a striker.

Come on you mighty Blues. I'll take a 2-3 away win at Watford 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Come on you mighty Blues. I'll take a 2-3 away win at Watford 
    Brilliant .
    I had them as an away on the accumulator and they were the only one to date letting me down so I was made up with the comeback .
    Can I just say “ Come on Wolves “

As for the Ings non penalty .
    Not bent at all .

Master
    Swings and roundabout goat.

Ings should been a pen and so should firminos in the first half.

Swings and roundabout goat.

Ings should been a pen and so should firminos in the first half.
    Yup
    From a potential penalty for Southampton immediately to 1-0 Liverpool ( hmmm wonder where that’s happened before )
    Swings and roundabouts

I thought Southampton were the better team today. Yes 4-0 looks like a hiding but a draw was the least Southampton deserved

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    You possibly need to accept there isn’t a conspiracy to make Liverpool win the league.

Master
    Blog Entries
    You really think there is some conspiracy for Liverpool to win the league this year? They have blown city away and the rest of the pack this year fair and square. Awesome footballing team which I hope goes unbeaten all season.

Blog Entries
    After our 1-1 at Leicester the draw between MU and Wolves was welcome ( not a bad game ) and hopefully both Arsenal and the Spuds will lose tomorrow.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hopefully the spuds come out all guns blazing.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    You really think there is some conspiracy for Liverpool to win the league this year? They have blown city away and the rest of the pack this year fair and square. Awesome footballing team which I hope goes unbeaten all season.
    OK
    Cheers

You possibly need to accept there isn’t a conspiracy to make Liverpool win the league.
    To do that it would require a removal of the tin foil hat and an end to a rather sad obsession.

I finally stopped worrying about relegation today.

Last edited by raysablade; 1st February 2020 at 20:58.

Goat,

As a forum member I respect you but as a football commentator/pundit, you're so full of utter $h1te, you're beyond belief.

(and there's still no movement on that SKX A35 either)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Goat,

As a forum member I respect you but as a football commentator/pundit, you're so full of utter $h1te, you're beyond belief.

(and there's still no movement on that SKX A35 either)
    Thanks Reggie
    Means a lot
    So , penalty or not ?
    What SKX35 ? Confused

https://mobile.twitter.com/henrybush...41309858205696

Sorry
    Posting off my phone . Been to Semi pro football today so my radar is off .
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Liverpool are the best team on the planet right now, and anyone thinking anything different knows absolutely nothing about football. What they are about to do will be talked about for generations— even if they don’t go unbeaten.

It gives me no pleasure, but it is what it is.

Ryan, United fan.

Master
    Blog Entries
    OK
    Cheers
    No probs. Grapes are a bit sour this time of year.

So , penalty or not ?
    Not watched it yet but 'cos the ref never awarded one and neither did VAR, I'm guessing NO, it wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Liverpool are the best team on the planet right now, and anyone thinking anything different knows absolutely nothing about football. What they are about to do will be talked about for generations— even if they don’t go unbeaten.

It gives me no pleasure, but it is what it is.

Ryan, United fan.

I think that's a fair assessment. They have rode their luck at times, however what successful team hasn't.

As yes if they do manage to beat Cities points tally last year, do go on to be undefeated, and who knows retain the Champions League title, then we are witnessing something very special indeed.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Thanks Reggie
    Means a lot
    So , penalty or not ?
    What SKX35 ? Confused
    It was a pen that was not given.

The challenge off the ball on firmino in the first half was also a pen not given.

2 clear pens not given but it’s somehow a conspiracy to make Liverpool win the league ?

It was a pen that was not given.

The challenge off the ball on firmino in the first half was also a pen not given.

2 clear pens not given but it’s somehow a conspiracy to make Liverpool win the league ?
    Right . So you agree it was a penalty .
    Next . So VAR was brought in to correct CLEAR AND OBVIOUS ERRORS , right ?
    Referee misses it, fair enough . VAR will fix it .
    Why wasn’t it given as a penalty ?

I’ll reiterate, Liverpool have been the better team this season, of this I have no issue. I’m fairly sure they’d have won the thing anyway , but there are things about football that stink .

Master
    Blog Entries
    Great performance from both Southampton and Liverpool, good to see Ings is staying fit too. Liverpool aside, Sheffield have been brilliant this year, hope they grab a fifth spot, if not then wolves.

Everton look a different side, hope they don’t carry that resilience in the derby.