closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Premier League 19/20

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    No chance to build a legacy at Madrid, I can't see him as one of their 2-3 year stopgaps.
    I see them giving him time and money yet wanting a top 4 finish at a minimum with some form of silverware.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    That is every Madrid manager of all time...except the time bit.

Craftsman
    Looking forward to our visit to Manchester today, always goals in our games with City. 2-2 entertaining draw is my prediction.

Probably lose 4-0 now.....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thfccambs View Post
    Looking forward to our visit to Manchester today, always goals in our games with City. 2-2 entertaining draw is my prediction.
    What odds did you get??

City will have headed back to the dressing room wondering how on earth they only got a draw. No qualms from me over disallowed goal but City had clear cut penalty in first half that wasn’t even reviewed by VAR.
    That said City should have put the game to bed with all the chances they had, not the greatest finishing tonight but for the second game of the season they were superb for a large part of the game and I see them only getting stronger.

Craftsman
    Whats peoples opinion of VAR after tonight's game?

VAR made the right call so I like it. It's a great leveller for smaller teams who have historically fallen foul of refs giving pens to bigger teams sometimes without justification. VAR is binary - it is or is not a goal/red card etc so I like it. It is no different to what happens in rugby

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I agree that VAR applied the letter of the rule in disallowing Jesus’ goal, no complaints but there’s still human input and so it will always be inconsistent. How VAR didn’t even review Lamela’s challenge on Rodri is beyond me, “clear and obvious” is the parameter.
    You're likely to end up with VAR being more the talking point of the game than the game itself.

Craftsman
    My only concern is, a referral can ONLY come from the ref and not the 4th assistant.......eg City penalty 1st half.

Master
    Did Aymeric Laporte either ‘gain possession’ or ‘control of the ball’? No, the ball bounced straight off him.

Handball - Law 12

Changes

• Deliberate handball remains an offence
    • The following ‘handball’ situations, even if accidental, will be a free kick:
      • The ball goes into the goal after touching an attacking player’s hand/arm
      • A player gains control/possession of the ball after it has touches their hand/arm and then scores, or creates a goal-scoring opportunity
      • The ball touches a player’s hand/arm which has made their body unnaturally bigger
      • The ball touches a player’s hand/arm when it is above their shoulder (unless the player has deliberately played the ball which then touches their hand/arm)

Craftsman
    It's the new hand ball rule that's the issue not VAR for me yesterday City got a penalty in the CL Q final @ WHL because of VAR didn't hear them moaning then. It's going to effect all teams over the season I suppose, at least it will hopefully get the correct decision though. As for the penalty claim I thought from the commentry it had been looked at a decided it wasn't a penalty? Not sure about that.

As a ST holder I actually hate VAR as it takes the excitement out of scoring a goal, you don't really have a clue whats going on in the stadium. As an arm chair fan yesterday I quite enjoyed it.... lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    What odds did you get??
    Guess what.............oh dear.

Master
    As for the penalty claim I thought from the commentry it had been looked at a decided it wasn't a penalty? Not sure about that.

Think MOTD said it was a penalty all day long. Think Sy Sports said the same. Can't understand how VAR official doesn't see thing!

Craftsman
    Think MOTD said it was a penalty all day long. Think Sy Sports said the same. Can't understand how VAR official doesn't see thing!
    Thats the point. If the 4th official was allowed to intervene im sure the penalty would have been given.

In the grand scheme of the game VAR is a good idea but it needs time to develop into real time play.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Merkaholic View Post
    Thats the point. If the 4th official was allowed to intervene im sure the penalty would have been given.

In the grand scheme of the game VAR is a good idea but it needs time to develop into real time play.
    Not really a question of "developing" - to the disadvantage of teams losing out now. There should be a clear, coherent and consistent set of rules from Day 1. If the cameras are there, use them! The idea, I thought, was to get more decisions right; that should include penalty shouts.

Craftsman
    Not really a question of "developing" - to the disadvantage of teams losing out now. There should be a clear, coherent and consistent set of rules from Day 1. If the cameras are there, use them! The idea, I thought, was to get more decisions right; that should include penalty shouts.
    In a nutshell...... Its work in progress. Im sure the refs will be given guidance at their next meeting.

VAR aside, the refereeing yesterday was diabolical from Oliver. There were a number of incidents that he chose not to see.
    Getting to VAR , what use can it be when it’s ultimately still down to the discretion of the man viewing the screen ? The marginal offside last weeks West Ham has been rubbished as Sterling was too quick for the camera. Yesterday, Laporte was grabbed at the start of the corner kick , leading to him brushing the ball and handball being given .
    The whole experience is confusing. Last week at West Ham, hardly anybody celebrated the third goal because we were all looking at the screen . This will drive fans away, of that I have no doubt.

Back to the game and although we dropped points, we’ve absolutely schooled Tottenham and they were wasting time from the kick off. Two minutes into time added on and they had a free kick 25 yards from goal on the wing . They chose to pass it back to the keeper . They definitely miss Son and should start Moura more often. Sir Harry of Kane was anonymous yesterday , the one time Spurs broke they had four on three and Kane tried to shoot from his own half . How they had that down as an attempt I’ll never know.

We missed chance after chance and paid for it in the end but Ive seen enough of City and Pep to know that we will learn and be back much much stronger.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    VAR aside, the refereeing yesterday was diabolical from Oliver. There were a number of incidents that he chose not to see.
    Getting to VAR , what use can it be when it’s ultimately still down to the discretion of the man viewing the screen ? The marginal offside last weeks West Ham has been rubbished as Sterling was too quick for the camera. Yesterday, Laporte was grabbed at the start of the corner kick , leading to him brushing the ball and handball being given .
    The whole experience is confusing. Last week at West Ham, hardly anybody celebrated the third goal because we were all looking at the screen . This will drive fans away, of that I have no doubt.

Back to the game and although we dropped points, we’ve absolutely schooled Tottenham and they were wasting time from the kick off. Two minutes into time added on and they had a free kick 25 yards from goal on the wing . They chose to pass it back to the keeper . They definitely miss Son and should start Moura more often. Sir Harry of Kane was anonymous yesterday , the one time Spurs broke they had four on three and Kane tried to shoot from his own half . How they had that down as an attempt I’ll never know.

We missed chance after chance and paid for it in the end but Ive seen enough of City and Pep to know that we will learn and be back much much stronger.
    Tottenham were dreadful yesterday.

City should have been charging school fees.

Son makes a big difference to how they play.

Unfortunately due to the lack of British striking talent HK gets alot of positive attention. In reality his nothing more than average at best. Moura and son is far more dangerous.

Master
    In a nutshell...... Its work in progress. Im sure the refs will be given guidance at their next meeting.
    This is a £ billion business; you can't do things by trial and error! So next week City might have won 4-2? If Spurs avoid relegation by 1 point, this season, and Sheffield United go down instead, I can't see Blades fans being too happy.

There are enough highly paid people in FIFA, UEFA and the FA to come up with something that looks vaguely sensible. Applying a "clear and obvious" test to ignore certain VARable incidents but then poring over video to see if something, which no-one even noticed at the time, might have happened - if you look at it in slo mo half a dozen times - doesn't seem to make a whole deal of sense.

Craftsman

Imagine how many you'd of scored with Kane in your team........ lol

Was you at the game yesterday? Any comment on women and kids being attacked spat on at the end when the away supporters came out? Sound's shocking.

Craftsman
    Tottenham were dreadful yesterday.

City should have been charging school fees.

Son makes a big difference to how they play.

Unfortunately due to the lack of British striking talent HK gets alot of positive attention. In reality his nothing more than average at best. Moura and son is far more dangerous.

Kane average at best......Unbelievable.

Lets' see how many teams go to City and score twice and gain a point.

Funny how Spurs had over 30 chances against Villa and apparently we was lucky to win.

Love the bitterness on forums.
    Last edited by thfccambs; 18th August 2019 at 18:23.

Craftsman

Was you at the game yesterday? Any comment on women and kids being attacked spat on at the end when the away supporters came out? Sound's shocking.
    I pray this is not true...........but unfortunately fanaticism has been going in the wrong direction for a few years!

Craftsman
    Kane average at best......Unbelievable.

Lets' see how many teams go to City and score twice and gain a point.

Funny how Spurs had over 30 chances against Villa and apparently we was lucky to win.

Love the bitterness on forums.
    You have to admit, son..... Moura and Ericsson is far more dangerous than revolving your play around HK as the focal point of play.

Craftsman
    Was in a pub watching so didn't hear any commentry, I thought I'd read that it was looked at? Maybe wrong then. Think both players had hold of each other at first, saying that if it had been the other way I'd of wanted a penalty.

Sure over the season these things will even themselves out.

Craftsman
    You have to admit, son..... Moura and Ericsson is far more dangerous than revolving your play around HK as the focal point of play.

I'm a ST holder and Kane is the first name on the team sheet. Son is a quality player and for me it's him and Kane all day long. Great to have someone of Mours quality as back up, saying Kane is average at best is just embarrassing mate, sorry far from it. Been outstanding for us and England.

Eriksen , wouldn't be bothered if he leaves this window, has been poor last 12 months (compared to a few years or so ago). He wants out and we shouldn't stand in his way.

Craftsman
    Im happy to agree to disagree on HK...........as a lifelong LFC fan and ex STH his never worried me as much as moura or son. Im surprised non of the European clubs have come sniffing for son.

I understand the situation with Ericsson........ Is lamela good enough to fill his boots?

I gave you my opinion on Kane and his selfishness. His ‘attempt’ on goal could and should have resulted in a Spurs winner if he’d had the foresight to pass to any one of his team mates.
    Yes, I was at the game and Im sure there was a bit of trouble . On the City forums, it was the other way round but I’ll take them all with a pinch of salt. We stayed behind after the game so didn’t come out at the same time as most fans. I do know there was an incident on a bus back into town with a few Spurs fans goading on a bus full of City fans. Not big or clever but if football makes you violent Id suggest another pastime.

Craftsman
    Im happy to agree to disagree on HK...........as a lifelong LFC fan and ex STH his never worried me as much as moura or son. Im surprised non of the European clubs have come sniffing for son.

I understand the situation with Ericsson........ Is lamela good enough to fill his boots?

We'll agree on that then.

I'm a fan of Lamella but he'll be injured before long. Always gives his all and gets stuck in. Wouldn't say him and Eriksen are the same sort of player but we still have Ali and Lo Celso to start this season. As I said, Eriksen doesn't want to be here then let him go or sign a contract.

Everyone quick enough to jump over Spurs but what we've achieved last 5 years on the budget isn't too bad at all. Let's see how much the likes of Liverpool City United and Chelsea even Everton have spent.

Poch is doing a fine job, let the haters hate.

Master
    Any comment on women and kids being attacked spat on at the end when the away supporters came out? Sound's shocking.
    It's really sad that there are still so many knuckle scraping idiots around. I hope it's not true. I'd think twice before going to any football ground as an away supporter, to be honest.

My rugby supporting friend can't understand why so many football supporters are incapable of watching a game with opposition fans and acting like adults. (For my part, I think the random violence on rugby pitches is reprehensible!)

Craftsman
    I gave you my opinion on Kane and his selfishness. His ‘attempt’ on goal could and should have resulted in a Spurs winner if he’d had the foresight to pass to any one of his team mates.
    Yes, I was at the game and Im sure there was a bit of trouble . On the City forums, it was the other way round but I’ll take them all with a pinch of salt. We stayed behind after the game so didn’t come out at the same time as most fans. I do know there was an incident on a bus back into town with a few Spurs fans goading on a bus full of City fans. Not big or clever but if football makes you violent Id suggest another pastime.
    Kane's a typical centre forward, greedy bastards. Maybe the 93rd minute winner against Juventus the other week was on his mind.

You'll get idiots no matter what club you follow, spitting on kids probably lowest of the low though . Hopefully with the pictures on social media of some will mean a ban. Good luck with the rest of the season. Not that I think your need it.

Craftsman
    It's really sad that there are still so many knuckle scraping idiots around. I hope it's not true. I'd think twice before going to any football ground as an away supporter, to be honest.

My rugby supporting friend can't understand why so many football supporters are incapable of watching a game with opposition fans and acting like adults. (For my part, I think the random violence on rugby pitches is reprehensible!)
    In fairness city has always been a great away trip, especially in the days of Maine Road. last few years though (since Crouch's goal) City fans have a new hate for Spurs.

Funnily enough, if the ball had brushed a Spurs players arm in the same incident , it wouldn’t have been a penalty or if the ball had simply gone out of play it wouldn’t have been penalised. Barmy or what ?
    Still, most of my ire is directed at Oliver and his corrupt cohorts.
    England’s finest referee? Is it any wonder we had no representative at the Euros ?

Craftsman
    If city only won the champions league, would you be happy and say its been a successful season?

If city only won the champions league, would you be happy and say its been a successful season?

Not for me.
    I’d take the PL over the European cups all day.
    I’m sure the owners and the team / manager would hope to win it soon but, trips to away games aside, I have no connection with the thing.

Craftsman
    Not for me.
    I’d take the PL over the European cups all day.
    I’m sure the owners and the team / manager would hope to win it soon but, trips to away games aside, I have no connection with the thing.
    Its interesting you say that......... I think the owners really need a champions league to put the club on the world stage not only as a club but also as a brand.

Master
    Not sure I agree with that. The PL is the thing that has put the big English clubs on the global map over and above the ECL, added to English being widely understood over eg Spanish or German in Asia.

The best team always wins the PL as over 38 games the cream rises to the top. You can 'fluke' the CL to a degree and in fact the best team usually doesn't win it (ergo Liverpool weren't the best team in Europe last year and Real Madrid weren't the best team the 3 previous years). You can get shocks in the knockout stages of the CL whereas in the PL you have to be the best across 38 games to win it.

I'd imagine City Hierarchy will place more importance on the CL.because they haven't won it but the issue with that is you rely on luck as well as ability to win the CL. Like I said the best team rarely wins the CL.

Its interesting you say that......... I think the owners really need a champions league to put the club on the world stage not only as a club but also as a brand.

Don’t take this the wrong way, but that is a typical history club statement. We wouldn’t get any better recognition by winning a cup trophy. Ryan summed it up in his post. Remember, Liverpool lost four games in last years CL and still won the thing. I’m not putting the achievement down but the PL will always be the one for me.
    I’d wager 99.9% of Liverpool fans would swap last seasons trophy for our PL title but I’d also bet less than 1% of City fans would take the CL instead of the domestic one.
    The club is already on the World stage and are only getting bigger.
    The only issue I have now is that we are becoming soulless in this quest and there’s a detachment from the fan base . We are becoming everything I ridiculed about our neighbours .

Craftsman
    Don’t take this the wrong way, but that is a typical history club statement. We wouldn’t get any better recognition by winning a cup trophy. Ryan summed it up in his post. Remember, Liverpool lost four games in last years CL and still won the thing. I’m not putting the achievement down but the PL will always be the one for me.
    I’d wager 99.9% of Liverpool fans would swap last seasons trophy for our PL title but I’d also bet less than 1% of City fans would take the CL instead of the domestic one.
    The only issue I have now is that we are becoming soulless in this quest and there’s a detachment from the fan base . We are becoming everything I ridiculed about our neighbours .
    Cant argue with most of what you said. Me personally, premiership any day of the week as that is a true test. We were awful in the champions league but then its the type of competition where its not always in your hands unless you win every game...... Sounds simple lol.

I dont see pep as a manager who will forgo any one competition for another but I see the owners wanting a champions league more. Out of England the champions league is seen as the BIG trophy to be won where as in England its the premiership all day everyday, specially from a LFC perspective.

I guess this is what always happens with super successful teams.

Plus you get all the plastic glory hunting supporters coming out of the woodwork.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Watched the Arsenal match this weekend and confident we will get in the top 4, on a side note Burnley look a good team this year!

Cabellos looks one hell of a player, shame he is just on a season loan with no option to buy. Best debut I have seen for an Arsenal midfielder in a long time, really good touch and always wanted the ball. For his age he already looked like a top player, I can see him being one of the best of his age group as he gets older.

Pepe had a decent 45, showed some really good skills hopefully he settles down and gets a few goals.

Laca and pea look good as ever, just need them to both play closer, at times pea was too far back but he took his goal very well.

The defence, is well, still average. Luiz has helped out a lot and I would like to see Luiz and Holding playing together, once Bellerin and Tierey are fit it should be a nicer set up.

The two young lads put in good performances again. Still not sure what Emery has against Torreira but he just never likes to play him. Should be Cabellos, Terreira every time.

Liverpool will still destroy us at Anfield next weekend but we should at least put a good performance in.

City looked very strong and will walk away with the title again but they should do with the team they have. They really needed to sign De Ligt tho. Can not see Liverpool keeping up with them this year.

Blog Entries
    So who watched our highlights on MoD???

Keep in mind this is the team from last season and we have not spent anything of consequence, it is a bunch of virtual unknown and youngsters.

Felling mildly confident

Pitch

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post

Keep in mind this is the team from last season and we have not spent anything of consequence, it is a bunch of virtual unknown and youngsters.

Felling mildly confident

Pitch
    Well what I would say with Norwich is they have goals in them. Probably at both ends but the big challenge for teams promoted to the prem is getting goals so on that front the future is more rosy. Not sure I understand why everyone is waxing about Sheffield United though- they have relegation fodder written all over them. They will be down by March. Norwich will stay up unless they get a bad run of injuries

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Well what I would say with Norwich is they have goals in them. Probably at both ends but the big challenge for teams promoted to the prem is getting goals so on that front the future is more rosy. Not sure I understand why everyone is waxing about Sheffield United though- they have relegation fodder written all over them. They will be down by March. Norwich will stay up unless they get a bad run of injuries

As much as I'd want that to be true, what can you genuinely base this on? And then go on to say Norwich will stay up?

Craftsman

Felling mildly confident

Pitch
    You play very expansive football which is excellent to watch but you need to be much more Conservative against the top teams otherwise they will steam roll you. I cant see Norwich having the energy to go the whole season playing with that sort of energy.

On a much more positive note...... Pukka looks like a very dangerous striker. Keep him fit and you will definitely have a positive season.

Master
    i think it will be a city liverpool 1-2 again this year but probably with liverpool being closer to 3rd than 1st unfortunately

liverpool winning the CL and the super cup is a great achievement but i think our squad is too light and we are too reliant on avoiding injuries to keep up with city.

as for winning the cl being flukey i dont think klopps record over the last 3 years in european competition supports that thesis. you dont have to win every game to win the CL just the ones that matter.

Master

Premier League 19/20

The point was you don't have to be the absolute best team in Europe to win the ECL, you can scab through the odd game or two. Whereas to win the league, you have to be the best team - and over a long period of time too.

When they won the ECL in 2005, for instance, Liverpool weren't even the best team in Liverpool.
    Last edited by Bondurant; 19th August 2019 at 17:54.

You don't have to be the best team but you do have to win in the knockout stages and you can guarantee you'll be up against at least 2 of the best teams in Europe over two legs. Liverpool also won 4 of their 6 CL titles when there wasn't a group stage, where every match was over two legs so if you mucked that up you were out.

It's a different type of game and mentality in the CL where teams will be harder to break down and get you on the break. If it were that easy then the winners of each league would steamroller through the group stages winning every game easily, but that rarely happens.

Liverpool always tend to muck up games in the group stages, being sloppy at times and letting other teams get a draw or a win when ahead. But when they get to the knockout stages they are very difficult to beat.

Re: the Premiership this year, I think City will win it easily this year. They have strengthened, which we haven't, and were the better team in terms of quality in depth and stronger squad even before they bought Rodri. We need to sort out our defensive issues or I can see Arsenal getting a result next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    The point was you don't have to be the absolute best team in Europe to win the ECL, you can scab through the odd game or two. Whereas to win the league, you have to be the best team - and over a long period of time too.

When they won the ECL in 2005, for instance, Liverpool weren't even the best team in Liverpool.

Blog Entries
    Cheers chaps and spot on.

Last season we scored for fun and leaked at the back. Never concerned because we always knew we had one more goal, but in the prem that’s difficult given the quality.

The fitness of the team last season was immense and Farke was very clear at the onset his views on having the fittest team in the league, look at how many games we won and goals scored in the last 15 minutes, proved fitness and concentration.

Regards the back four, Aaron’s and Lewis will be snapped up in January they are that good. Godfrey will play for England one day and our second and third choice centre half’s are still recovering from injury. But we will give away goals.

Midfield is immense, Troyball, Leitner, Buendia, Hernandez, Vrancic, Stiepermann and local lad Cantwell will end up at bigger clubs.

And Pukki....... Free transfer from Brondby and there were doubts by the media if he could actually do it in the premiership after 29 goals last season. Well he has answered that one.

Great great times to be a Canary fan.

Pitch

Cheers chaps and spot on.

Last season we scored for fun and leaked at the back. Never concerned because we always knew we had one more goal, but in the prem that’s difficult given the quality.

The fitness of the team last season was immense and Farke was very clear at the onset his views on having the fittest team in the league, look at how many games we won and goals scored in the last 15 minutes, proved fitness and concentration.

Regards the back four, Aaron’s and Lewis will be snapped up in January they are that good. Godfrey will play for England one day and our second and third choice centre half’s are still recovering from injury. But we will give away goals.

Midfield is immense, Troyball, Leitner, Buendia, Hernandez, Vrancic, Stiepermann and local lad Cantwell will end up at bigger clubs.

And Pukki....... Free transfer from Brondby and there were doubts by the media if he could actually do it in the premiership after 29 goals last season. Well he has answered that one.

Great great times to be a Canary fan.

Pitch
    It’s been a while since I went to Carrow Rd and I was looking forward to coming over in September. Unfortunately, the Ashes at The Oval the day before takes precedence. That , and a threat of divorce if Igo to both.
    I think Norwich will overcome their naivety very quickly and set up differently to the Liverpool game where they more than held their own for a while.
    I’m going for a tight game here with the Blues scraping a 5-0 :)

Blog Entries
    I’m going for a tight game here with the Blues scraping a 5-0 :

From your mouth i wish i could feel the same way i feel that it will be a tight game
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE