closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Premier League 19/20

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by raysablade View Post
    One badly timed tackle on a player who just back in the team and might not be back up to speed. Can't recall a 'bad" challenge other than that.

I did witness enjoyably high standard of shithousing on both sides, for which we took more than our fair share of bookings. Quite how Fernandinho escaped his until half time is a mystery. His mocking of the referee when it finally emerged for him said it all.

Quite refreshing to see some criticism of our team for a change, there are more ways to win a match than playing pretty football, as Guardiola well knows.
    So it was Laporte s fault for not being quick enough to evade the tackle ? OK .
    Besic has firm for that too btw, I think it was Silva he put out for 4 months when he played for Everton. Noticed his sly little wink after last nights challenge too.
    There was another potential ankle breaker on Fernandinho just after which obviously wound him up . He got away with two before the inevitable yellow right on half time for the least offence. Go figure.
    Nice to see VAR didn’t have a night off either. Surely the penalty should’ve been retaken with a Henderson a metre or so off his line ?

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Nice to see VAR didn’t have a night off either. Surely the penalty should’ve been retaken with a Henderson a metre or so off his line ?
    After Jesus stopped mid run up?
    Its the referee’s call not VAR’s, a little less shithousing on your part and might have more sympathy.

Quote Originally Posted by raysablade View Post
    After Jesus stopped mid run up?
    Its the referee’s call not VAR’s, a little less shithousing on your part and might have more sympathy.
    You keep mentioning this without specifics .
    Any clues ?
    BTW , it’s the linesman’s but VAR is there for clear and obvious errors .
    Run up and pause makes not one dot of difference . If he’s off his line when the penalty is taken , it’s a retake .
    Not bothered now , just interested .

Master
    VAR doesn’t look at keeper encroachment so the refs/linos fault if not spotted.

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    VAR doesn’t look at keeper encroachment so the refs/linos fault if not spotted.
    Unless I’m mistaken Sterling missed a penalty earlier this season that was reviewed by VAR because the keeper came off his line and was retaken, nothing to do with the ref.
    On the subject of penalties and Man City why is De Bruyne not taking them? Sterling is rubbish, Jesus has missed three, Aguero is patchy, Mahrez not that great

Master
    I don’t remember but it must have been outfield players encroaching rather than the keeper being off his line....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48703852

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/v...ason-ffd6h0qbq
    Last edited by benny.c; 23rd January 2020 at 00:07.

Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    Unless I’m mistaken Sterling missed a penalty earlier this season that was reviewed by VAR because the keeper came off his line and was retaken, nothing to do with the ref.
    On the subject of penalties and Man City why is De Bruyne not taking them? Sterling is rubbish, Jesus has missed three, Aguero is patchy, Mahrez not that great
    The referee gave it because Declan Rice was encroaching . Ref looks for that, linesman for the keeper and VAR look to make sure Uber Eats are on the way .

The referee gave it because Declan Rice was encroaching . Ref looks for that, linesman for the keeper and VAR look to make sure Uber Eats are on the way .
    Thanks for clarification

You keep mentioning this without specifics .
    Any clues ?
    BTW , it’s the linesman’s but VAR is there for clear and obvious errors .
    Run up and pause makes not one dot of difference . If he’s off his line when the penalty is taken , it’s a retake .
    Not bothered now , just interested .
    Blocks, tugs, tackles in midfield that under VAR would be called a penalty if they happened in the 18 yard box. Stopping in the run up to a penalty. Time wasting against a team on less than a tenth of your wage bill.

Fernandinho was the arch protaganist but even De Bruyne was at it. i felt this was to our advantage as where we have come from we are well used to it. I also felt that targetting Laporte we designed to provoke a reaction and, first half at least that worked, it brought things own to a level we are comfortable at.

No complaints about the result, the goal was fantastic to watch, and best of luck for the rest of the season. I'd advise sticking to football, leave the dark arts to clubs that have an excuse.

Master
    Guardiolas set up last night seemed pretty strange.

For me for Pep to be classed as a great manger he really needs to go to a club that is a project or at least not the top team in the league.

Barca, Bayern, City - Most of us would win the league managing these sides.

Is he really a top manager ? Who knows, until he does something really special i couldnt say he is.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post

For me for Pep to be classed as a great manger he really needs to go to a club that is a project or at least not the top team in the league.

Is he really a top manager ? Who knows, until he does something really special i couldnt say he is.
    I think he's proved he can progress players, and players make up teams so I think he deserves some credit.

He's turned Sterling into a top, top player, as one example.

Could he join a mid table team and start a dynasty? Who knows.

I'm not sure anyone could in the current game to be honest

My personal view is that he is, or at least, if Klopp wasn't our manager, I would have confidence that Pep could have done a similar job.

It's true he came to Bayern and City but in both cases he had to manage and motivate his teams to sustain performance. Dortmund provided stiff opposition in Germany and when Pep first arrived at City they weren't at the level he wanted them to be. Last season he managed to get them winning every game in order to pip Liverpool to the post, which they had to do as Liverpool went on an amazing run themsleves. It's not just being in charge of a great team but handling the pressure and expectation that comes with that.

I’d say winning all three domestic titles in one season and winning every game from January till the end of the season to win the title by one point is special. City had a large part of that season without De Bruyne and Aguero had 2-3 spells out too. You look at the way many teams play out from the back now, that’s Guardiola’s influence.
    He’s not without his faults though. Last seasons 1-0 defeat to Spurs in Champions League was a tactical mistake, playing not to lose rather than set up to play to win. I’d also say that Klopp is better at nurturing a team mentality.
    Next season is his last in contract and I, for one, hope he stays as long as his desire still remains. A Klopp/Pep rivalry for a few more years would be brilliant for football.