closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Awful AD experience - Yalikavak, Turkey.

Master
    I’d imagine that being a Rolex AD comes with the expectation you’re promoting the brand. Very rarely will a customer buy a watch every time they enter a shop. So some will try in that AD and buy in another but it works both ways. Hence, I’d imagine Rolex would want consistency in customer service, and this wouldn’t be the consistency that matches their brand. Billions spent in advertising. So while it is the ADs choice how to behave it is als Rolex’s decision as to whether they still want them to be an AD. I’d personally email Rolex detailing your experience and copy this thread in. It’s not a complaint, simply letting them know of your experience and then let them decide how to act.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    It is possible the sales people have instructions not to let people try out PM models unless they feel that it is a likely ( not potential) customer. There should be someway of politely declining to show the particular model. I don’t think refusing to show is necessarily bad ‘behaviour’ or bad treatment. But it shouldn’t be done in a way that sounds rude or judgemental.
    Personally, I would never ask anyone to take out an expensive item to show me unless I had some interest in buying it, even if minimal. Or if I was buying something else from the shop.
    To think of people as ‘only working in retail’ is something I cannot wrap my head around. It is a job like any else and they deserve to be treated with courtesy and respect as well.
    Well said.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Take this in the spirit it is intended. It would be poor form on the part of someone to take an Aston Martin out for a test drive if they had no intention of buying. Same applies to watches at this price point. What the dealer should have done is enquire around the OP's intentions first. A polite but firm 'apologies sir but we have firm instructions not to allow our precious metal pieces to be worn by casual visitors as the new owner would hate to see scratches but if sir was keen to purchase today and wanted to verify the watch was a good fit I'm sure I can make an exception' and so on.
    Why’s it any worse in an AM than Honda Civic? Still wasting people’s time and money but happens all the time

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Just popped into the Rolex AD here in Yalikavak on the way to dinner. Awful.

I've been reading consolidation threads recently and am wondering if I consolidate in a few years and add money to get either a DD40 or Daytona - either in Platinum as a one watch grail.

Asked to try the one in the window on and the guy looked at my MM300 and just said no. I asked if he was being serious or joking and he looked at my wrist again and said no, again. Almost as if that was the reason why.

Jaw dropping. Wasn't expecting to go out to dinner here tonight so left my nicer watches back at the hotel. If I wore one of them I probably would have been allowed to touch platinum.

Rant over!
    For sure you have had a bad experience which is appalling. However, I personally wouldn’t waste an AD,s time trying on a £60k watch I had no intention of buying, particularly in Turkey.

An AD I visited said customer behaviour is of greater importance than what the customer is wearing. A customer had purchased a necklace over £10000 but was dressed very low key, a bit scruffy and appeared as if he didn’t have a penny to his name. Had the AD looked at appearance and treated the customer accordingly, a big sale would have been lost.

Master
    The most expensive thing you can tend to buy is likely to be a house. Of course sadly you do need to use an Estate Agents. They are just retail ( unlikely to be able to afford the palace you are looking at ) so should be treated as dirt on the sole of your shoe.
    Obviously these lowly agents accept their place in society and would never, ever label customers as f’ing tire Kickers or other dreadful terms. The same would obviously go for the lowly trades people at Rolex and Omega and others.
    Anyway now I have got some of my humble retail experience of my chest. I would say a cheesy bit of BS to the customer such as ‘But Sir for such a precious watch you must understand we are under strictest instruction etc etc.
    Customer goes out sort of happy still under the delusion he’s a very , very important customer.

Letterbox.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Letterbox.
    After a pungent curry.

I recommend a Chicken Tikka Naga Bahar

Journeyman
    Seems as though I have hit a nerve with you. Do you perhaps work in retail?

No need to make it personal.

I have no issue with people displaying arrogance when have something to be arrogant about. It usually requires years of hard work, dedication and sacrifice.

Selling Rolex watches does not but they seem to think it gives them the right to be arrogant.

I do not go around saying that but if I had the experience of OP then that is exactly what I would be thinking. They're only watches and the sellers need to get a sense of perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    Do you honestly go round and say to people “you only work in retail” ? hmmm nice attitude displayed by yourself there . I’d recommend only buying online so you fill the coffers of non tax paying companies owned by billionaires
    Sent from my SM-G965F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sibo View Post
    Seems as though I have hit a nerve with you. Do you perhaps work in retail?

No need to make it personal.

I have no issue with people displaying arrogance when have something to be arrogant about. It usually requires years of hard work, dedication and sacrifice.

Selling Rolex watches does not but they seem to think it gives them the right to be arrogant.

I do not go around saying that but if I had the experience of OP then that is exactly what I would be thinking. They're only watches and the sellers need to get a sense of perspective.

Yes indeed I do work within retail and also have worked non retail. By next month I may be non retail again as the organisation I work in straddles both retail and non retail.
    In my experience the arrogant usually are full of deep seated angst and internal self doubt . The ones who make it seem easy and are at peace with themselves and those around them are usually the truly gifted.
    My experience where I am at the moment is those with true power tend to wield it in a sophisticated manner. Those lower down the tree at my pay grade tend to be the Hitlers. Having just a little power over people’s work life’s myself I try and go for the non Hitler route.
    If you go around saying people are just retail expect some rotten tomatoes in your direction. I believe I’m one of three responders to say similar.
    Anyway I’ll let you carry on in your “arrogant bubble” good luck
    Last edited by Mark lowman; 15th June 2019 at 20:31.

Journeyman
    I agree, but a lot of Rolex ADs seem to be drunk on some sort of perceived power, which is why I said all they do is sell watches.
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    It is possible the sales people have instructions not to let people try out PM models unless they feel that it is a likely ( not potential) customer. There should be someway of politely declining to show the particular model. I don’t think refusing to show is necessarily bad ‘behaviour’ or bad treatment. But it shouldn’t be done in a way that sounds rude or judgemental.
    Personally, I would never ask anyone to take out an expensive item to show me unless I had some interest in buying it, even if minimal. Or if I was buying something else from the shop.
    To think of people as ‘only working in retail’ is something I cannot wrap my head around. It is a job like any else and they deserve to be treated with courtesy and respect as well.

Journeyman
    You can't please everyone. There will always be people who disagree with opinions.

I have never stated that I am arrogant, only that some Rolex ADs need a sense of perspective which we call all agree on.

Besides, how many responses have stated the experience OP has had should not happen. What's your opinion on those?
    In my experience the arrogant usually are full of deep seated angst and internal self doubt . The ones who make it seem easy and are at peace with themselves and those around them are usually the truly gifted.
    My experience where I am at the moment is those with true power tend to wield it in a sophisticated manner. Those slightly lower down the tree tend to be the Hitlers. Having just a little power myself I try and go for the non Hitler route.
    If you go around saying people are just retail expect some rotten tomatoes in your direction. I believe I’m one of three responders to say similar.
    Anyway I’ll let you carry on in your “arrogant bubble” good luck

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    You keep assuming I was dealing with the store owner. It was the store owner I met in the Bodrum store who told me to go to his Yalikavak store where they have more selection. It was there someone who wasn't him effectively refused me service based me wearing a MM300 instead of one of my Rolxes.

If I turned up asking to test drive a Porsche or Mercedes for 90k in another forum favourite, say, an MX5, would they deny me from sitting in a car or booking a test drive? Utterly bizarre behaviour from the sales person and as someone who works in sales and has previously worked in sales in retail it really is one of the dumbest things you can do. Great way to ensure your commission is through the floor and not the roof. There is a thing called a funnel and another, on the other end of the desk, called pipeline.

I turned up at Porsche Swindon and arrived in my Land Rover Defender. I’m a farmer so it’s the pick up version we use on the farm and is never clean. I received exemplary service from the sales staff at Porsche Swindon. Didn’t buy from them in the end as I was able to get a build slot from Porsche Exeter.
    Turning up in a dirty farm Defender isn’t the norm for Porsche dealers. I was wearing my Rolex so perhaps that helped.

I agree the AD should have either been less judgemental and/or explained his position more clearly. If this were me and I felt strongly about it, I would report it back up the chain, where it might actually do some good.

Master
    You can't please everyone. There will always be people who disagree with opinions.

I have never stated that I am arrogant, only that some Rolex ADs need a sense of perspective which we call all agree on.

Besides, how many responses have stated the experience OP has had should not happen. What's your opinion on those?

correct, you’ve not stated you’re arrogant Though you claimed people have the right to be arrogant. It’s human nature but maybe not a good trait. If you’re going down a line of when you pick up a skill or expertise you’ve got the right to be arrogant I’d suggest it’s not necessarily a great idea. Plenty of scandals within professions account to that. You’ve also been called arrogant by another poster as well but perhaps you missed that? Looks like it’s touched a nerve in you to.
    I’ve already suggested in slightly cheeky fashion that a bit of smooze from the AD’s would have calmed the situation. Like anything it’s how you deliver the message.
    Last edited by Mark lowman; 15th June 2019 at 21:04.

Journeyman
    Careful reading is a good trait, read my posts again and try replying to what I've stated.

BTW I couldn't care less what your opinion of me is over a couple of internet posts.

correct, you’ve not stated you’re arrogant Though you claimed people have the right to be arrogant. It’s human nature but maybe not a good trait. If you’re going down a line of when you pick up a skill or expertise you’ve got the right to be arrogant I’d suggest it’s not necessarily a great idea. Plenty of scandals within professions account to that. You’ve also been called arrogant by another poster as well but perhaps you missed that? Looks like it’s touched a nerve in you to.
    I’ve already suggested in slightly cheeky fashion that a bit of smooze from the AD’s would have calmed the situation. Like anything it’s how you deliver the message.
    Last edited by Sibo; 15th June 2019 at 21:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Longwool View Post
    Turning up in a dirty farm Defender isn’t the norm for Porsche dealers. I was wearing my Rolex so perhaps that helped.
    I bet later the same day, you were leaning on a five bar gate with a fellow countryman, complaining you hadn't 2 ha'penny's to rub together.

Master
    Careful reading is a good trait, read my posts again and try replying to what I've stated.

BTW I couldn't care less what your opinion of me is over a couple of internet posts.

Sibo I think the continuous postings suggest otherwise

Journeyman
    Sibo I think the continuous postings suggest otherwise
    I think you're upset some people have a poor opinion of you as you are a shopkeeper of some sort.

The continuous postings are great for me as I need to increase my post count to use other parts of the site so keep it up!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I hate hearing stories like this. It's nothing short of sickening really, and they deserve to go bust.
    Saying a business deserves to go bust after reading one post on here is just a tad over the top at best and pathetic at worst.

Master
    I think you're upset some people have a poor opinion of you as you are a shopkeeper of some sort.

The continuous postings are great for me as I need to increase my post count to use other parts of the site so keep it up!

Sibo - unfortunately if you spout off too much about raising post counts deliberately by click posts you can get your count reduced to zero by Eddie . I’d also have a think about how you’re coming across as members going onto SC are given the once over by sellers. You might be selling yourself of course. But then we should always check out the buyer , by reviewing posts etc.
    You’re nearly right about me being a shop keeper , nearly but not quite.
    If you want I’ll help you raise your posting count no skin off my nose.
    Ps: there are a number of small business owners including shop owners on this site. It’s not going well I’d say.
    Last edited by Mark lowman; 15th June 2019 at 22:14.

Master
    Blog Entries

Oops!

Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post
    Saying a business deserves to go bust after reading one post on here is just a tad over the top at best and pathetic at worst.
    Thanks - appreciate the guidance.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    I bet later the same day, you were leaning on a five bar gate with a fellow countryman, complaining you hadn't 2 ha'penny's to rub together.
    Is that a chip I see on your shoulder?

Journeyman
    Spout off?

How rude! Weren't you taught any manners as a child?
    Sibo - unfortunately if you spout off too much about raising post counts deliberately by click posts you can get your count reduced to zero by Eddie . I’d also have a think about how you’re coming across as members going onto SC are given the once over by sellers. You might be selling yourself of course. But then we should always check out the buyer , by reviewing posts etc.
    You’re nearly right about me being a shop keeper , nearly but not quite.
    If you want I’ll help you raise your posting count no skin off my nose.
    Ps: there are a number of small business owners including shop owners on this site. It’s not going well I’d say.

Master
    Spout off?

How rude! Weren't you taught any manners as a child?

Only 13 more to go Sibo excellent - you’ll find when you hit the “other areas of the site” that I’ve warned the long time posters of your clickbaiting. Like I said it’s not going to end well.

Journeyman
    Oh that's a shame!

You're actually very similar to the AD the OP was referring to in that you think you are doing the buyers a great kindness in selling them a Rolex.

Hopefully not everyone on this site is as deluded as you...

Btw I don't think you've grasped what clickbaiting is.
    Only 13 more to go Sibo excellent - you’ll find when you hit the “other areas of the site” that I’ve warned the long time posters of your clickbaiting. Like I said it’s not going to end well.

Master
    Oh that's a shame!

You're actually very similar to the AD the OP was referring to in that you think you are doing the buyers a great kindness in selling them a Rolex.

Hopefully not everyone on this site is as deluded as you...

Btw I don't think you've grasped what clickbaiting is.

I’ll say good night for now. Judging by the usual discourse on this site I think I share the same mentality as most on this forum. TTFN

Journeyman
    I’ll say good night for now. Judging by the usual discourse on this site I think I share the same mentality as most on this forum. TTFN
    I disagree, most are not like you from what I have seen so far.

Thankfully!

What a horrible place that would be...

Craftsman
    I got the opposite in an AD recently. I was in looking at platinum rings for my wife( renewing her wedding and engagement rings). When the salesman was away getting a tray full of rings he brought up a tray of AP’s for me to try on and look at. He knew i wasn't going to buy but knew it would keep me happy whilst my wife looked at various rings. He allowed me to try on and handle as many watches as i wanted. Ended up we bought 2 rings and now looking at an AP for myself.lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Longwool View Post
    I turned up at Porsche Swindon and arrived in my Land Rover Defender. I’m a farmer so it’s the pick up version we use on the farm and is never clean. I received exemplary service from the sales staff at Porsche Swindon. Didn’t buy from them in the end as I was able to get a build slot from Porsche Exeter.
    Did the same at Dick Lovett Ferrari across the road. Was talked into a test drive. My Defender may have been a bit cleaner.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

I’m just shocked he didn’t swoon over your MM300, how rude!

In some ways the blunt NO is quite refreshing to a long winded ass kissing NO, at least he got to the point.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Customer: Hello

Sales Person: Hello

Customer: Can I please play with your Platinum Oyster Perpetual Cosmograph Daytona - the ultimate tool watch for those with a passion for driving and speed. Introduced in 1963, the Cosmograph Daytona was designed to meet the demands of professional racing drivers. chronographs and continues to transcend time and which is equipped with calibre 4130, a self-winding mechanical chronograph movement developed and manufactured by Rolex. Its architecture incorporates fewer components than a standard chronograph, thereby enhancing the movement’s reliability. It also saves space, making it possible to house a larger mainspring and thereby extend the power reserve from 50 to 72 hours

Sales person looking at the sweaty customer wrist: No.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

I hate hearing stories like this. It's nothing short of sickening really, and they deserve to go bust.
    Bit of an over reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Bit of an over reaction.
    Not in my opinion.

Master

Awful AD experience - Yalikavak, Turkey.

I wonder if there’s some elitism going on. In any everyday shop there would be outrage if a customer was refused service. Can you imagine John Lewis refusing to show a camera to a customer because they’re dressed a certain way. Maybe, some people are quite happy certain people are refused service, it’s more exclusive that way.

I fail to see how a watch enthusiasts forum can see that as acceptable customer service. Perhaps the forum is moving away from your average watch collector and more to those interest in a certain luxury lifestyle. I’m not baying for blood, I understand it’s a different culture as well but I’m surprised so many are defending the shops position. And I’d be even more surprised if Rolex agreed with their stance.
    Last edited by Rodder; 16th June 2019 at 11:38.

My piss is boiling just reading about it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    I wonder if there’s some elitism going on. In any everyday shop there would be outrage if a customer was refused service. Can you imagine John Lewis refusing to show a camera to a customer because they’re dressed a certain way.

I fail to see how a watch enthusiasts forum can see that as acceptable customer service. .
    Anyone else struck by the sense of entitlement running through this Thread? We don’t have some right as total strangers to walk into shops and demand to handle ultra-expensive goods. Especially when we have no intention of buying.
    As for ‘elitism.’ What do you think asking for a 60k watch is? Not one person in a hundred could afford that. Actually, make that one person in a thousand.
    I am always reluctant to try on expensive new watches unless I have a real intention of buying. If dealers should be considerate, how about customers?
    Incidentally, I am not referring to the OP, who’s clearly serious about his watches; it’s a general observation.
    Last edited by paskinner; 16th June 2019 at 12:24.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    The reason I paid more than I need have for my IWC is the complete opposite to this story.
    I was treated with courtesy and kindness, I only went in the Munich shop to look around and get out of the rain.
    Though I had no intention to buy a watch I did,so which is the better way to treat people?

FYI I was wearing a £100 Seiko solar diver from sales corner.
    I went into the Munich IWC boutique to take a look at the new pilot chrono on the nato strap (v nice btw)
    Spent about20 mins trying on 5 or 6 watches including a gold perpetual calendar at THEIR insistence
    Dressed casually but spoke nicely to them in broken German and nothing was too much trouble/ explained that I was an enthusiast and got what I thought was genuinely fantastic treatment

Master
    Blog Entries
    Did you see the decor upstairs the restrooms where something else luxury wise?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    Lol. Farmer Palmer.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    I went into the Munich IWC boutique to take a look at the new pilot chrono on the nato strap (v nice btw)
    Spent about20 mins trying on 5 or 6 watches including a gold perpetual calendar at THEIR insistence
    Dressed casually but spoke nicely to them in broken German and nothing was too much trouble/ explained that I was an enthusiast and got what I thought was genuinely fantastic treatment
    To grossly generalise, the Germans are the most outrageously maligned nationality in the world. Every one I've met has been pleasant, polite, humourous and down to earth. Now I realise my knowledge of 25 out of 100 million is a straw sample but.....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    To grossly generalise, the Germans are the most outrageously maligned nationality in the world. Every one I've met has been pleasant, polite, humourous and down to earth. Now I realise my knowledge of 25 out of 100 million is a straw sample but.....

Totally agree, spent a lot of time working all over Germany and wherever I was I found the people fantastic, I keep advising friends to go there on holiday as it seems to be a place that’s low down on the holiday destination table.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    Totally agree, spent a lot of time working all over Germany and wherever I was I found the people fantastic, I keep advising friends to go there on holiday as it seems to be a place that’s low down on the holiday destination table.
    Tend to have a good sense of humour I’ve found as well. Myself and mates went to see Hertha vs Borrussia Dortmund. Atmosphere trounced British grounds. Beer was way above UK stadia cooking lager and you could drink at your seat. Excellent country I’d go back anytime.

Master
    I’m not sure if this has been discussed but one other thing to consider is threat of theft and sleight of hand. Scammers , fraudsters , violent thieves are everywhere. Sleight of hand is often overlooked, it’s a specialist subject st the school of thieves! I’d guess the UK is probably targeted more than most countries but crime is everywhere
    It really could be like putting £60,000 on the counter. Obviously like everything there’s ways of explaining a security risk and denial of service. However as a customer unless I was 99% sure I was going to buy I doubt I’d ask to have it removed from secure display to try it on.
    TBF I have tried on the odd Breitling , Tudor , Omega etc but that has always been either because I’m likely to buy or was dropping off an Omega at their boutique for servicing etc.
    I believe somebody earlier said this but this really is a 1/1000 type of customer purchase therefore it’s going to have some security barriers in the way.

I sympathise with the OP, who is clearly an enthusiast, and is considering the long term

I suspect most people who ask to try on a £2000 watch will have no issue at all, unless they look, for want of a better word, like a tramp. When the watch costs 30x that, dealers are going to make a judgement. Sometimes that will be correct, sometimes not, and their judgement may be frustrating. They are probably better than most at telling who is serious, although some very wealthy people can look anything but!

I never go into dealers unless I'm buying or finalising a choice, as otherwise I find it awkward

Dave

Wearing the MM again today again and luckily the guys at the beach still served me anyway. I wasn't sure if I wanted anything when I asked for the menu so thank God he allowed me the chance.

In all seriousness I mostly agree that you can't just waltz into a store and demand to try on a 60k watch which is probably one of the most expensive items in the store and there was a 99% chance I wasn't going to buy it there and then. My wife did joke that I could get it if we got a good price and I gave up the motorbike and sold the other watches when I got home but generally if I was going to buy it it would be 2-3 years away but still probably it would have been from that dealer as we're here often.

Maybe it's easier to do it back home. I read a story of a guy who got a good discount on a Platona and a a white dial SS as part of the deal which he flipped to lower the cost of the Platona. Better than tax free.

Not in my opinion.
    What next, horses head on his pillow?

I mean really, go into a supermarket and you may come across some grumpy individual at the checkout but it hardly warrants some kind of prayers for bankruptcy.

Bloke in the shop was a bit of a tool, take your money somewhere else nobody died. Talk about first world problems!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    What next, horses head on his pillow?

I mean really, go into a supermarket and you may come across some grumpy individual at the checkout but it hardly warrants some kind of prayers for bankruptcy.

Bloke in the shop was a bit of a tool, take your money somewhere else nobody died. Talk about first world problems!

It wasn’t even him man , his response is due to the alleged treatment of the original poster .

You couldn’t make this up .

Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post
    It wasn’t even him man , his response is due to the alleged treatment of the original poster .

You couldn’t make this up .
    I know but hoping a store goes out of business because of some idiot salesman, really?