closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Awful AD experience - Yalikavak, Turkey.

Hybrid View

Awful AD experience - Yalikavak, Turkey.

Just popped into the Rolex AD here in Yalikavak on the way to dinner. Awful.

I've been reading consolidation threads recently and am wondering if I consolidate in a few years and add money to get either a DD40 or Daytona - either in Platinum as a one watch grail.

Asked to try the one in the window on and the guy looked at my MM300 and just said no. I asked if he was being serious or joking and he looked at my wrist again and said no, again. Almost as if that was the reason why.

Jaw dropping. Wasn't expecting to go out to dinner here tonight so left my nicer watches back at the hotel. If I wore one of them I probably would have been allowed to touch platinum.

Rant over!

Did you ask why you couldn’t look at the watches you wanted to?
    In situations like this I like to make a bit of a fuss.
    Especially if there are other customers in the shop.

I’ve also had a bad experience in a foreign Rolex AD. I felt compelled to write to Rolex and complain but didn’t bother in the end.
    In my experience, I found the staff extremely rude and nonchalant. Went back and bought 2 watches the following evening as the exchange rate was favourable and they were all over me. Left a bitter taste as I thought your only sucking up to me now I’m spending.

I won't have any exchange rate joy. The pound is great here at the moment but they charge in Euros and process through the til in Lira for which the platinum Daytona is €67k so better to buy back home, just can't believe I was told no with no reasoning just a look at the watch I was wearing. Unbelievably rude.

I'm not sure if the AD you visited was under the same ownership as the one in Bodrum but my experience was not too disimilar.

I'd taken a friend to visit the AD in Bodrum (he was wearing a Breitling Superocean and I was sporting one of Eddie's watches) and the purpose of the visit was to look at a 116613LB as my friend had previously admired mine. The irony was that he would have bought one there and then,

Due to the attitude of the salesman he didn't, subsequently though he did got one from a New York AD a few weeks later.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Savages, make it known/telling straight in your face what they actually think about you and your appearance.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    The most expensive thing you can tend to buy is likely to be a house. Of course sadly you do need to use an Estate Agents. They are just retail ( unlikely to be able to afford the palace you are looking at ) so should be treated as dirt on the sole of your shoe.
    Obviously these lowly agents accept their place in society and would never, ever label customers as f’ing tire Kickers or other dreadful terms. The same would obviously go for the lowly trades people at Rolex and Omega and others.
    Anyway now I have got some of my humble retail experience of my chest. I would say a cheesy bit of BS to the customer such as ‘But Sir for such a precious watch you must understand we are under strictest instruction etc etc.
    Customer goes out sort of happy still under the delusion he’s a very , very important customer.

Letterbox.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I'm not sure if the AD you visited was under the same ownership as the one in Bodrum but my experience was not too disimilar.

I'd taken a friend to visit the AD in Bodrum (he was wearing a Breitling Superocean and I was sporting one of Eddie's watches) and the purpose of the visit was to look at a 116613LB as my friend had previously admired mine. The irony was that he would have bought one there and then,

Due to the attitude of the salesman he didn't, subsequently though he did got one from a New York AD a few weeks later.

R
    Yes, it's the same AD. I was in the one on Bodrum a few days ago and they told me they have just opened another shop in Yalikavak and there is more selection there and to pop in so I did.

Stupid really as after I was done looking for me I was going to see what DateJust models they had for my wife and if they had a white or champagne dial DJ28 we would have bought as that would have been a better deal than England. A lot cheaper than the Daytona but a sale is a sale and I'd never buy from them now. Rather drive to Izmir or buy back home.

I hate hearing stories like this. It's nothing short of sickening really, and they deserve to go bust.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I hate hearing stories like this. It's nothing short of sickening really, and they deserve to go bust.
    Not very likely to happen anytime soon as long as customers are returning the next day, buying two watches to prove they are worthy of their attention. (see post #3 above)
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Craftsman
    Saying a business deserves to go bust after reading one post on here is just a tad over the top at best and pathetic at worst.

Bit of an over reaction.

Master
    R
    I've been in the one in Bodrum a few times, though not yet this year. I spend around 3 months a year in Bitez, which is about 6km away. Have always been well treated and had a good chat in there. Never bought a watch, but have been offered some very good prices on the Tudors, especially a Fastrider. Yalikavak of course has changed no end since the opening of the Marina - there is a Billionaires Club there!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    I've been in the one in Bodrum a few times, though not yet this year. I spend around 3 months a year in Bitez, which is about 6km away. Have always been well treated and had a good chat in there. Never bought a watch, but have been offered some very good prices on the Tudors, especially a Fastrider. Yalikavak of course has changed no end since the opening of the Marina - there is a Billionaires Club there!
    Similar story here. We are a but further up from you after Midtown AVM and have always received good service in Bodrum and nearly bought my Exp 1 from there. Should have as the one I bought from SC was £500 more, but the Yalikavak store is a different story.

Next time I will wear one of my SS professional models. Maybe two on each wrist and an ankle or two on top. Hope for some free tap water.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 26th June 2019 at 16:28.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Similar story here. We are a but further up from you after Midtown AVM and have always received good service in Bodrum and nearly bought my Exp 1 from there. Should have as the one I bought from SC was £500 more, but the Yalikavak store is a different story.

Next time I will wear one of my SS professional models. Maybe two on each wrist and an ankle or two on top. Hope for some free tap water.
    More importantly, did you catch Gloria Gaynor in Yalikavak at the weekend. She was on the night I came home, so my wife and friends went, and had a good time. Last year I came back the night Anastacia was on (again my wife and friends all went) - so just unlucky with my flights!

The friend I mentioned above has his boat moored in Yalikavak Marina. He's not a billionaire (afaik) but he's certainly a multi-millionaire - and the AD missed an easy sale because of their attitude.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I will be there from the 4th September to the end of that month if you fancy a coffee. July and August just too hot!
    We haven't booked yet but it will probably be mid-late Sept and yes, that would be good. You can choose the place as you I've only been a couple of times and wouldn't want to suggest Starbucks!
    The friend I mentioned above has his boat moored in Yalikavak Marina. He's not a billionaire (afaik) but he's certainly a multi-millionaire - and the AD missed an easy sale because of their attitude.

R
    Can we have a TZUK meet up on his boat?!
    My god there are some lovely boats there.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 26th June 2019 at 20:08.

Journeyman
    The should remember that at the end of the day they are only selling watches.

They only work in retail, no need to be arrogant, it's very unlikely that chap could afford a platinum daytona himself.

Sent from my SM-G965F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Sibo View Post

They only work in retail, no need to be arrogant, it's very unlikely that chap could afford a platinum daytona himself.

Because I sell Rolex watches and "only work in retail" does that mean I am not as good as you, Sibo?

Or are you being arrogant.....

Journeyman
    I didn't compare anyone to myself.

How do you treat your customers, both old and new? Hope it's nothing like OP was treated!

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Because I sell Rolex watches and "only work in retail" does that mean I am not as good as you, Sibo?

Or are you being arrogant.....

Master
    Blog Entries
    I got the opposite rude problem in the LV section of Selfridges last week buying a gift for the wife before returning home.

Had decided what I wanted in advance but the girl kept trying to make me change my mind and up sell to a different and way more expensive model. In the end it got quite annoying and I had to be firm and polite as possible as she was so damn persistent . After that scenario she then tried to flog me additional items - perfumes at 180 a bottle, I politely declined and then she started banging on about scarfs. By the time she was done I could not be arsed pratting around with requesting VAT refunds etc and got the hell out of there. Things you do for the other half....
    Last edited by kultschar; 15th June 2019 at 16:01.

Master

Do you honestly go round and say to people “you only work in retail” ? hmmm nice attitude displayed by yourself there . I’d recommend only buying online so you fill the coffers of non tax paying companies owned by billionaires

Journeyman
    Seems as though I have hit a nerve with you. Do you perhaps work in retail?

No need to make it personal.

I have no issue with people displaying arrogance when have something to be arrogant about. It usually requires years of hard work, dedication and sacrifice.

Selling Rolex watches does not but they seem to think it gives them the right to be arrogant.

I do not go around saying that but if I had the experience of OP then that is exactly what I would be thinking. They're only watches and the sellers need to get a sense of perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    Do you honestly go round and say to people “you only work in retail” ? hmmm nice attitude displayed by yourself there . I’d recommend only buying online so you fill the coffers of non tax paying companies owned by billionaires

Master
    Seems as though I have hit a nerve with you. Do you perhaps work in retail?

No need to make it personal.

I have no issue with people displaying arrogance when have something to be arrogant about. It usually requires years of hard work, dedication and sacrifice.

Selling Rolex watches does not but they seem to think it gives them the right to be arrogant.

I do not go around saying that but if I had the experience of OP then that is exactly what I would be thinking. They're only watches and the sellers need to get a sense of perspective.

Yes indeed I do work within retail and also have worked non retail. By next month I may be non retail again as the organisation I work in straddles both retail and non retail.
    In my experience the arrogant usually are full of deep seated angst and internal self doubt . The ones who make it seem easy and are at peace with themselves and those around them are usually the truly gifted.
    My experience where I am at the moment is those with true power tend to wield it in a sophisticated manner. Those lower down the tree at my pay grade tend to be the Hitlers. Having just a little power over people’s work life’s myself I try and go for the non Hitler route.
    If you go around saying people are just retail expect some rotten tomatoes in your direction. I believe I’m one of three responders to say similar.
    Anyway I’ll let you carry on in your “arrogant bubble” good luck
    Last edited by Mark lowman; 15th June 2019 at 20:31.

Journeyman
    You can't please everyone. There will always be people who disagree with opinions.

I have never stated that I am arrogant, only that some Rolex ADs need a sense of perspective which we call all agree on.

Besides, how many responses have stated the experience OP has had should not happen. What's your opinion on those?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    In my experience the arrogant usually are full of deep seated angst and internal self doubt . The ones who make it seem easy and are at peace with themselves and those around them are usually the truly gifted.
    My experience where I am at the moment is those with true power tend to wield it in a sophisticated manner. Those slightly lower down the tree tend to be the Hitlers. Having just a little power myself I try and go for the non Hitler route.
    If you go around saying people are just retail expect some rotten tomatoes in your direction. I believe I’m one of three responders to say similar.
    Anyway I’ll let you carry on in your “arrogant bubble” good luck

Craftsman
    Is this the Rolex AD experience ? :)

Master
    Rudeness is the norm in Turkey, doesn't matter if it's the bazaar or Rolex AD... I think you just need to adapt and be more assertive, it's how they do business...

In any case, you weren't gonna buy it, so it made no difference to him how he acted in the end...

Master
    His shop, his rules etc etc.

This is just one side of the story. All AD's want to sell watches because that is how they make a living.

Best never to pass judgement until the AD responds which everyone knows, he won't. Attacking shops and their staff is a bit one sided.

Demand is as such that they can get away with anything

Master
    Well, you did walk in, a total stranger, wearing a low-cost watch, and asked to try-on the most expensive watch in the store. There are jewellers in the UK who would be wary. That’s £60k worth of stock. Easily marked.
    He knew you wouldn’t buy, so it’s not so odd really.

We were in a posh furniture store in Lisbon where they wouldn’t let us sit on the chairs.....that’s life.
    Last edited by paskinner; 15th June 2019 at 10:23.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Well, you did walk in, a total stranger, wearing a low-cost watch, and asked to try-on the most expensive watch in the store. There are jewellers in the UK who would be wary. That’s £60k worth of stock.

We were in a posh furniture store in Lisbon where they wouldn’t let us sit on the chairs.....that’s life.
    If you'd ever worked in retail you'd know how mistaken that approach really is.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The reason I paid more than I need have for my IWC is the complete opposite to this story.
    I was treated with courtesy and kindness, I only went in the Munich shop to look around and get out of the rain.
    Though I had no intention to buy a watch I did,so which is the better way to treat people?

FYI I was wearing a £100 Seiko solar diver from sales corner.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    The reason I paid more than I need have for my IWC is the complete opposite to this story.
    I was treated with courtesy and kindness, I only went in the Munich shop to look around and get out of the rain.
    Though I had no intention to buy a watch I did,so which is the better way to treat people?

Obviously preferable to be treated well but I wouldn't pay over the odds for the experience.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Obviously preferable to be treated well but I wouldn't pay over the odds for the experience.
    True I could have saved some money buying it from a rude,disinterested sales assistant at Harrods I choose to give my money to someone who cared.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post

I went into the Munich IWC boutique to take a look at the new pilot chrono on the nato strap (v nice btw)
    Spent about20 mins trying on 5 or 6 watches including a gold perpetual calendar at THEIR insistence
    Dressed casually but spoke nicely to them in broken German and nothing was too much trouble/ explained that I was an enthusiast and got what I thought was genuinely fantastic treatment

Master
    Blog Entries
    Did you see the decor upstairs the restrooms where something else luxury wise?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    I went into the Munich IWC boutique to take a look at the new pilot chrono on the nato strap (v nice btw)
    Spent about20 mins trying on 5 or 6 watches including a gold perpetual calendar at THEIR insistence
    Dressed casually but spoke nicely to them in broken German and nothing was too much trouble/ explained that I was an enthusiast and got what I thought was genuinely fantastic treatment
    To grossly generalise, the Germans are the most outrageously maligned nationality in the world. Every one I've met has been pleasant, polite, humourous and down to earth. Now I realise my knowledge of 25 out of 100 million is a straw sample but.....

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

I really hate when they tell you that you can lookey, lookey but no touchy. Always feel a bit sickening next morning, hope they get busted.

I have an advice for the OP

Last edited by VDG; 15th June 2019 at 10:52.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Well, you did walk in, a total stranger, wearing a low-cost watch, and asked to try-on the most expensive watch in the store. There are jewellers in the UK who would be wary. That’s £60k worth of stock. Easily marked.

Have you ever sold in retail? In London especially that attitude is fatal - not everyone wants to show their wealth around all the time.

Master
    But the store owner was right, wasn’t he. The OP was never going to buy that watch...it’s a business decision which the jeweller has every right to make. Would you want to spend 60k on a watch handled by lots of people?

Master
    But the store owner was right, wasn’t he. The OP was never going to buy that watch...it’s a business decision which the jeweller has every right to make. Would you want to spend 60k on a watch handled by lots of people?
    I can't see that it's in any way right to treat people rudely. Retail doubly so. There are a million ways the shop person could have handled that situation, almost all of them better than that. Maybe he didn't want to risk that model being tried and damaged, but there's far more elegant ways to get there. He's been bad at his job. Even if that is the norm in that country, he's dealing with people from other countries, and should have the knowledge to handle that appropriately.

How did the store owner know he was 'right' and that the OP was never going to buy that watch?

R

Not on that night, no. But now if I ever do it won't be from there. Neither will all the watches on the way be from there.

Why are there people on this thread defending such disgraceful service? It beggars belief.

Hello

Why are there people on this thread defending such disgraceful service? It beggars belief.
    This. Very poor. Treat people as you would like to be treated.

Hopefully their attitude will be reflected in their sales.

Master
    Because we have only heard one side of the argument. Your presumption is that if a TZ-UK member claims an AD or his staff were rude, then that's it, the staff were rude. Sorry but you cannot even think of making a judgement until you have heard both sides of an argument.

Master
    Not on that night, no. But now if I ever do it won't be from there. Neither will all the watches on the way be from there.
    But that’s the choice of the store owner. He made his decision, and obviously lives by the consequences, good or bad. The idea coming through this thread that the OP had some ‘right’ to demand access to a 60K Watch he had no intention of buying, is just bizarre. There is no such right; it’s a choice for the dealer to make. It’s his goods, his livelihood.
    For all we know, he may have a very strong customer base.
    Last edited by paskinner; 15th June 2019 at 15:53.

But that’s the choice of the store owner. He made his decision, and obviously lives by the consequences. The idea coming through this thread that the OP had some ‘right’ to demand access to a 60K Watch he had no intention of buying, is just bizarre. There is no such right; it’s a choice for the dealer to make. It’s his goods, his livelihood.
    You keep assuming I was dealing with the store owner. It was the store owner I met in the Bodrum store who told me to go to his Yalikavak store where they have more selection. It was there someone who wasn't him effectively refused me service based me wearing a MM300 instead of one of my Rolxes.

If I turned up asking to test drive a Porsche or Mercedes for 90k in another forum favourite, say, an MX5, would they deny me from sitting in a car or booking a test drive? Utterly bizarre behaviour from the sales person and as someone who works in sales and has previously worked in sales in retail it really is one of the dumbest things you can do. Great way to ensure your commission is through the floor and not the roof. There is a thing called a funnel and another, on the other end of the desk, called pipeline.

You keep assuming I was dealing with the store owner. It was the store owner I met in the Bodrum store who told me to go to his Yalikavak store where they have more selection. It was there someone who wasn't him effectively refused me service based me wearing a MM300 instead of one of my Rolxes.

If I turned up asking to test drive a Porsche or Mercedes for 90k in another forum favourite, say, an MX5, would they deny me from sitting in a car or booking a test drive? Utterly bizarre behaviour from the sales person and as someone who works in sales and has previously worked in sales in retail it really is one of the dumbest things you can do. Great way to ensure your commission is through the floor and not the roof. There is a thing called a funnel and another, on the other end of the desk, called pipeline.

I turned up at Porsche Swindon and arrived in my Land Rover Defender. I’m a farmer so it’s the pick up version we use on the farm and is never clean. I received exemplary service from the sales staff at Porsche Swindon. Didn’t buy from them in the end as I was able to get a build slot from Porsche Exeter.
    Turning up in a dirty farm Defender isn’t the norm for Porsche dealers. I was wearing my Rolex so perhaps that helped.