closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Looking to purchase a CWC G10 82 'Fat Boy' - but has this one's crystal been replaced

Apprentice

Looking to purchase a CWC G10 82 'Fat Boy' - but has this one's crystal been replaced

Hi All,

I'm looking at purchasing a CWC G10 82 Fat Boy for my Dad who loves all things military.

I'm not overly knowledgeable on watches so thought I would seek some guidance from you guys.

I came across this one on e-bay which looks a nice example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143266659811

But, on doing some further research on Fat Boy's and seeing more pictures etc. I'm a little concerned that the crystal has been replaced on this one as it just looks a little "off" from other pictures that I have seen.

I'd ideally like to get my Dad one that is wholly original and so don't want to purchase this one only to be disappointed that the crystal isn't correct.

I hoped that you guys that have Fat Boy's could take a look and just give me your opinions.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Brad.

I don't think a crystal replacement is a big deal, in fact it's almost certainly preferable to replace a bit of 40 year old acrylic.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    I don't think a crystal replacement is a big deal, in fact it's almost certainly preferable to replace a bit of 40 year old acrylic.
    I would agree
    The original crystal would have had a hard life.
    Better to have a new stronger crystal in the watch.
    Edit - that crystal is completely wrong though.
    I would look for one with an original profile crystal.
    Although they are simple and cheap to replace.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 14th June 2019 at 19:43.

Apprentice
    Thanks guys.

I'll keep looking. I thought it looked off but just wanted a second opinion from someone with more experience.

Craftsman
    Euuugh worst crystal I’ve ever seen on a CWC .Look for another.should be a high dome.

Try a WTB over on the MWRforum, you don't need a minimum post count and when these are sold over there they're usually very reasonable compared to elsewhere. Good luck, great watches!

Craftsman
    Increasingly rare to find the early CWC quartz watches with the original crystal still in place, tend to either be scratched from service use, or crazed from age, or impact.

The original crystals on these have quite a flat profile and the Precista and later CWC from 82 use a more metallic finished tension ring than the usual matte finish normally associated with these watches.

Would myself look at a 85 watch over a fatboy; movements are getting increasingly difficult to repair , whereas the 85 will take the current eta 955,112 if need be.

Ed