closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Uhrwerk atomic/mechanical watch winder

Uhrwerk atomic/mechanical watch winder

A bit of fun for the weekend. A short piece about an atomic clock that will not only wind and set your matching Uhrwerk watch to 1/1000s accuracy, but progressively regulate it over a period of weeks. Perfect for Fathers’ Day.

https://youtu.be/moATaLoHY70

Amazingly to me, the Breguet Sympathique was a mechanical version of something similar 200 years ago.

https://www.breguet.com/en/timepiece...athique-clock#

No doubt all familiar to some, but new to me.

Very interesting video, thank you for posting. I had not heard of the Breguet Sympathique either, but I have my fingers crossed for father’s day :)

Glad someone liked it :).

I guess you can appreciate more than most what it must take to automate some of the mechanical regulation of a watch.

Master
    The digital clock and watch in the first video are indeed a great achievements.

Just wonder if GPS referenced clocks and watches like these, which claim to have extreme accuracy down to microseconds, take into consideration the time the radio wave takes to arrive from the satellite. And, what is the accuracy of the GPS reference anyway?

Its obviously a goal to have a very accurate watch, but the fact that most watch enthusiasts prefer mechanical movements (which are only accurate to a few seconds a day) proves the point that +/- a few seconds a day is more than enough for most human activities.

The atomic clock only needs a reference signal to set it once. That will be accurate to within a few 10s of nanoseconds. After that it stays accurate until turned off.

The Uhrwerk watch is entirely mechanical. I don’t know how accurate it would be if it wasn’t reset regularly by the atomic clock device but I think the really clever thing is the way it is regulated every time it is wound. Imagine having a watchmaker regulate your watch overnight, every night.

I agree, its all pointless unless you are interested in it for it’s own sake, which I am.

Of course all of the Breguet is mechanical. Did you see the balance with the cylindrical balance springs? JLeC use something similar in their top end Gyrotourbillon. It means that the balance spring can give an ever so slightly more symmetrical force. In the case of the JLeC that helps guarantee +/- 0.5spd accuracy.